Please do not repost, forward or otherwise publish messages
contained in these archives without consent from the respective
author(s). These archives may not, in whole or part, be stored on
any public retrieval system (FTP, web, gopher, newsgroup, etc.) by
individuals or companies, without consent of the respective authors.

Received: with LISTAR (v0.128a; list 80-96-list); Thu, 22 Jun 2000 05:38:38 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 05:38:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server ford-trucks.com>
To: 80-96-list digest users ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list Digest V2000 #118
Precedence: bulk

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 80-96 Truck Mailing List

Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list" in the subject of the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
80-96-list Digest Tue, 20 Jun 2000 Volume: 2000 Issue: 118

In This Issue:
Re: Tailgate?
Re: Tranny questions..again
Re: Tranny questions..again
Re: E4OD
truck turns off while driving or at idle
Re: Superchip
Oil leak
Re: E4OD
Re: Tailgate?
Re: Oil leak
Re: truck turns off while driving or at idle
Re: Year of 300
Re: Tailgate?
Re: Year of 300
Diagnostics on '82 4.9l Engine Management System
FW: Shifting problems
Re: LPG and cold weather
Re: LPG and cold weather

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Serian" flashmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tailgate?
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:56:40 -0400

> My in-law's have an '85 F250 4x4 ...
> Before I start shopping the salvage yards for Ford
> sheetmetal, can anyone tell me what year-range gates will fit?

80-86 will definitely fit ...


------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:13:43 -0500
From: Ezekial 2dogs.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny questions..again


>
> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 20:33:24 -0700
> From: chuck sanborn deltanet.com>
> Subject: Re: Tranny questions..again
>
> At 07:34 PM 6/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >>At 07:41 AM 6/20/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >>>I'd be leery of torque capacity of the tranny off the 3.8 Mustang.
> >>
> >>
> >>Good point, Steve...hadn't thought of that.
> >>Thanks,
> >>Chuck
> >
> >Isn't the tranny behind the 94 and up model year mustang the same behind
> >the 3.8 and the 5.0? They are both T-5's. If so I'd like to say the torque
> >capacity would be plenty. Please let me know if anyone knows if there is a
> >difference.
>
> And if that's the case, I would still like to know if it will fit the 86
> 4.9L motor

The 3.8 and 5.0s do use the same tranny. However, the V-8 uses much
stronger gears, clutches, syncros, etc. I have read this in some of my
Ford magazines. I have been told that the 4.9 and small-blocks have the
same bolt pattern. So that should help you some. And I am pretty sure
the 3.8 is the same bolt pattern as the 5.0, or at least in the
stangs... Just measure from bolt to bolt if possible.

--

Ezekial (Derrick)
93 F-150 4x4, 351, SC, SB
66 Fastback Stang, 289HP, 4sp, 9inch
96 Conv. Stang, 3.8, lil add ons
www.2dogs.net/user_pages/ezekial/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:59:41 -0700
From: chuck sanborn deltanet.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny questions..again

At 11:13 PM 6/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I have been told that the 4.9 and small-blocks have the
>same bolt pattern. So that should help you some. And I am pretty sure
>the 3.8 is the same bolt pattern as the 5.0,

Hey Ezekial (Derrick) :-)
I have heard the same thing some time ago and am just trying to get the
info straight in my mind, and correct before I plunk down the few bux for
this tranny.
Thanks for getting back to me,
Chuck




------------------------------

From: "Jason Derra" internetcds.com>
Subject: Re: E4OD
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:19:31 -0700

To be honest with all of you yearning for a soft shifting E4OD, be careful
what you wish for. The early models of the E4OD had problems with soft,
slow shifting that caused excessive heat buildup due to the clutches
slipping when shifting through the gears resulting in trans meltdown.
Numerous fixes (both factory and aftermarket) have been introduced to try to
alleviate this problem. Most of the aftermarket add on shift improvement
electronics focus on either raising MLP or altering shift points to make
them shift more positive and quickly with less slippage and less heat.
Jason
'69 Bronco
'96 F250 Ext Cab 4WD Powerstroke E4OD

----- Original Message -----
From: juno.com>
To: <80-96-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 5:42 PM
Subject: [80-96-list] Re: E4OD


> Ok, I finally got to drive the E-350 box van at work and have a few
> questions. The van is a '93 with a new diesel (~10,000 mi.) and it also
> shifts really hard. My boss just had it in for that and it came back the
> same way. I'm hoping this is something I can fix and save then more
> money. So Hal, your not alone with this 'hard' battle.
>
> - Mark Reimers KB9ODG
> '66 Bronco 170 I-6, 3-speed, 3.5" suspension lift, 3" body lift, 35"
> tires ...
> with an '88 5.0L and AOD waiting to go in!
> '87 F-150 XLT 4x2 300 I-6, 4-speed, straight pipe ...
> '93 E-350, Box van, Diesel
>
> > Hal,
> > One question here is can you with the way it's working? It would
> > drive me
> > nuts. Heavy duty stuff or not, these things are designed to sense
> > load and
> > shift smoothly under all conditions, especially when freshly
> > rebuilt. I
> > would take it back immediately.
> > Dave
> >
> > ....Just had the E4OD tranny rebuilt in my 91 F350, 196K and seals
> > bad. Now
> > it really slams from 1st to 2nd and a little less from 2nd to 3rd.
> > Also it
> > still acts goofy.....
> >
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
>
>
>
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list" in the subject of the
> message.
>
>


------------------------------

From: "Cyber9" lmtonline.com>
Subject: truck turns off while driving or at idle
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:03:56 -0500


Hello yes i have a 1990 F150,302 2wd supercab, after driving a while sometimes the truck turns off i switch tanks then turns back on while in motion then later turns off again, i crank the engine,after a couple of cranks it starts. Sometimes while waiting for the light it turns off, even though i have the A/C on or off it still does it. could it be both Fuel pumps? The truck runs smooth, no rough idle. i replaced the rotor and cap, but it still does it. has anyone had a similer problem?


Thanks
Eddie


------------------------------

From: CRGREENE1 aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:29:48 EDT
Subject: Re: Superchip

go to "chipsdirect.com!" They are great!

------------------------------

From: "Strattcat" hotmail.com>
Subject: Oil leak
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:38:31 -0400


This is on a 84 Bronco

I thought I had all my oil leaks fixed and now we were leaving to go to some trails friday and we started smelling smoke in the truck, got out and looked under it and there was oil everywhere under there.I checked the oil and it was ok not down to much (I had just changed it.).I checked everything and could not see anything there .We decided to turn around and come back home.I could check it better there and when I got under it I could see that the oil was coming back out of the dipstick tube and running back down and then blowing everywhere I guess.I checked the pcv valve ,it is working properly and all the vacumms seem to be working right.The oil pressure seems to be staying up longer and not wanting to come down like it was .We had changed the intake gasket about a month ago ,and seemed to do fine, I don't know if that might have caused a problem or not .I use Castroil 20 /50 oil ,( is that to heavy) ,there is no smoke coming out of the dipstick hole ,so I figure it is not blow by,and it don't blow anything out when idleing,I seems to do it when I am going and mash the gas good or hit passing gear it will start smelling oil that is hitting the exhaust pipes,it is not coming out of the pipes at all.If it is something that is cloging it up inside and causing the oil pressure to stay up would one of those motor flushes work ,,I am scared of those but I have to do something.I was told Winns was garanteed not to wash the rings..but I need any and all help .I hope I explained it so it is understood.( oh yea there is a little bit of oil in the breather the little white filter ,but not alot like I have seen some times.)Thanks for any help.
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/strattcat4x4/index.html


------------------------------

From: soffiler centraltools.com
Subject: Re: E4OD
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:22:15 -0400

Just a comment, my stock '97 F250HD with E4OD is sort of harsh shifting 1-2.
It's pretty bad if I happen to back out of the throttle slightly just prior
to the shift. The 2-3 and 3-4 are fine, however.

Steve Offiler
soffiler centraltools.com
'97 F250HD XL 4x4, 351, E40D, 4.10's

> -----Original Message-----
>
> Ok, I finally got to drive the E-350 box van at work and have a few
> questions. The van is a '93 with a new diesel (~10,000 mi.)
> and it also
> shifts really hard. My boss just had it in for that and it
> came back the
> same way. I'm hoping this is something I can fix and save then more
> money. So Hal, your not alone with this 'hard' battle.
>
> - Mark Reimers KB9ODG
> '66 Bronco 170 I-6, 3-speed, 3.5" suspension lift, 3" body lift, 35"
> tires ...
> with an '88 5.0L and AOD waiting to go in!
> '87 F-150 XLT 4x2 300 I-6, 4-speed, straight pipe ...
> '93 E-350, Box van, Diesel
>
> > Hal,
> > One question here is can you with the way it's working? It would
> > drive me
> > nuts. Heavy duty stuff or not, these things are designed to sense
> > load and
> > shift smoothly under all conditions, especially when freshly
> > rebuilt. I
> > would take it back immediately.
> > Dave
> >
> > ....Just had the E4OD tranny rebuilt in my 91 F350, 196K and seals
> > bad. Now
> > it really slams from 1st to 2nd and a little less from 2nd to 3rd.
> > Also it
> > still acts goofy.....
> >
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
>
>
>
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list" in the subject of the
> message.
>


------------------------------

From: soffiler centraltools.com
Subject: Re: Tailgate?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:47:35 -0400

Thanks everybody for the responses on the tailgate. 80-86 it is. I believe
I heard that 87-up will physically fit but there was a change in the contour
near the top. Sorry to belabor the point, but, assuming I don't care that
much about the looks, what is the newer model year range, 87 to WHAT? 97?

(I think I'll try the gate off my truck tonite...)

Steve Offiler
soffiler centraltools.com
'97 F250HD XL 4x4, 351, E40D, 4.10's


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Steve Offiler [mailto:soffiler centraltools.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 7:52 AM
> To: Ford Truck List 80-96 (E-mail)
> Subject: [80-96-list] Tailgate?
>
>
> My in-law's have an '85 F250 4x4...
>....can anyone tell me what year-range gates will
> fit? What's the
> going price for used gates? New?


------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:16:38 -0400
Subject: Re: Oil leak
From: chris hinckley juno.com>

it certainly sounds like blow-by pressure build up in the crank. another
possibility is the oil filter. i have heard of the check vlvs failing
and creating similar issues. what color is the oil in the crank. if its
new and turns blacks quickly its more than likely blow-by.

make sure your intake is not leaking. you may want to do a vacuum test
and see what your pulling. it could be that you have a slight leak.

chris h

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:38:31 -0400 "Strattcat" hotmail.com>
writes:
>
> This is on a 84 Bronco
>
> I thought I had all my oil leaks fixed and now we were leaving to go
> to some trails friday and we started smelling smoke in the truck,
> got out and looked under it and there was oil everywhere under
> there.I checked the oil and it was ok not down to much (I had just
> changed it.).I checked everything and could not see anything there
> .We decided to turn around and come back home.I could check it
> better there and when I got under it I could see that the oil was
> coming back out of the dipstick tube and running back down and then
> blowing everywhere I guess.I checked the pcv valve ,it is working
> properly and all the vacumms seem to be working right.The oil
> pressure seems to be staying up longer and not wanting to come down
> like it was .We had changed the intake gasket about a month ago ,and
> seemed to do fine, I don't know if that might have caused a problem
> or not .I use Castroil 20 /50 oil ,( is that to heavy) ,there is no
> smoke coming out of the dipstick hole ,so I figure it is no!
> t blow by,and it don't blow anything out when idleing,I seems to do
> it when I am going and mash the gas good or hit passing gear it will
> start smelling oil that is hitting the exhaust pipes,it is not
> coming out of the pipes at all.If it is something that is cloging
> it up inside and causing the oil pressure to stay up would one of
> those motor flushes work ,,I am scared of those but I have to do
> something.I was told Winns was garanteed not to wash the rings..but
> I need any and all help .I hope I explained it so it is understood.(
> oh yea there is a little bit of oil in the breather the little white
> filter ,but not alot like I have seen some times.)Thanks for any
> help.
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/strattcat4x4/index.html
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list" in the subject of the
> message.
>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:24:23 -0400
Subject: Re: truck turns off while driving or at idle
From: chris hinckley juno.com>

could be vapor lock, or possibly a bad fuel filter. have you pulled the
codes?



Chris Hinckley
92 EB - w/stuff (Pepe)
95 F150 - ext. cab 4x4 (Newt)
00 Excursion - PSD (Titus)
95 Buell - for 2 wheel street fun



On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:03:56 -0500 "Cyber9" lmtonline.com>
writes:
>
> Hello yes i have a 1990 F150,302 2wd supercab, after driving a while
> sometimes the truck turns off i switch tanks then turns back on
> while in motion then later turns off again, i crank the engine,after
> a couple of cranks it starts. Sometimes while waiting for the light
> it turns off, even though i have the A/C on or off it still does it.
> could it be both Fuel pumps? The truck runs smooth, no rough idle. i
> replaced the rotor and cap, but it still does it. has anyone had a
> similer problem?
>
>
> Thanks
> Eddie
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list" in the subject of the
> message.
>

------------------------------

From: "Serian" flashmail.com>
Subject: Re: Year of 300
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:51:56 -0400

> How can I tell what year of 300 I have? I bought this
> engine and have it completely disassembled, no engine
> ID tag on it though =(

the casting number on the parts will give a good idea as
to what year it is ...
the format is typically **** **** *
the first two digits indicate the year
C = 1960's
D = 1970's
E = 1980's

so if the part number on the engine head is something
like E3** **** *
it is a 1983 head

It wont give a perfect representation as to when your
engine was assembled, but at least you can figure out
when the parts to it are made.



------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:09:57 -0500
From: Steve Randa ch-advertising.com>
Subject: Re: Tailgate?

'87-'96 F150s and '97 F250-350s

Steve Randa

soffiler centraltools.com wrote:
>
> Thanks everybody for the responses on the tailgate. 80-86 it is. I believe
> I heard that 87-up will physically fit but there was a change in the contour
> near the top. Sorry to belabor the point, but, assuming I don't care that
> much about the looks, what is the newer model year range, 87 to WHAT? 97?
>
> (I think I'll try the gate off my truck tonite...)
>
> Steve Offiler
> soffiler centraltools.com
> '97 F250HD XL 4x4, 351, E40D, 4.10's
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Steve Offiler [mailto:soffiler centraltools.com]
> > Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 7:52 AM
> > To: Ford Truck List 80-96 (E-mail)
> > Subject: [80-96-list] Tailgate?
> >
> >
> > My in-law's have an '85 F250 4x4...
> >....can anyone tell me what year-range gates will
> > fit? What's the
> > going price for used gates? New?
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list" in the subject of the
> message.

------------------------------

From: soffiler centraltools.com
Subject: Re: Year of 300
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:14:13 -0400

Um, not quite. The "casting" number described below is just a part number.
The part numbers don't change each year. In your example, the E3** **** *
would be 1983, yes. But this does not tell you when the part was made, it
tells you the first model year it was used. Another way of saying this is
that a part could have been designed in the late '70's for use on a model
year 1983 vehicle, given the E3 part number, and if that part didn't change
it would still be showing up on an engine assembled in 1992 or whatever.

If you could look at *many* engine parts, it becomes statistically more
likely that the newest part found is relatively close to the year the engine
was built.

Steve Offiler
soffiler centraltools.com
'97 F250HD XL 4x4, 351, E40D, 4.10's


> > How can I tell what year of 300 I have? I bought this
> > engine and have it completely disassembled, no engine
> > ID tag on it though =(
>
> the casting number on the parts will give a good idea as
> to what year it is ...
> the format is typically **** **** *
> the first two digits indicate the year
> C = 1960's
> D = 1970's
> E = 1980's
>
> so if the part number on the engine head is something
> like E3** **** *
> it is a 1983 head
>
> It wont give a perfect representation as to when your
> engine was assembled, but at least you can figure out
> when the parts to it are made.


------------------------------

From: Awfanning aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:05:58 EDT
Subject: Diagnostics on '82 4.9l Engine Management System

Took my '82 F-150 into a trusted mechanic yesterday for a checkup prior to
upcoming cmog test. Appeared to have a vacuum leak to me, but the problem
apparently extends into the vacuum-operated engine management system used
that year. Miles of vacuum tubing and vacuum operated solenoids that control
the pollution equipment, apparently. At 194k the engine has been way down on
power anyway, but I always thought I could rebuild it. From what the
mechanic is telling me, though, the diagnostics on this system is a nightmare
and parts availability may be quite poor.

Anybody been down this path before? It's a California vehicle, so ditching
the smog equipment isn't an option. Maybe it's time for a late model 5.0
engine?

Thanks,

Alan
'82 F-150 4.9l six

------------------------------

From: Eric Sneed REIL.COM>
Subject: FW: Shifting problems
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:23:16 -0700

Hello,
I got this from bro in law, he needs help

He says:
I read your problems on the 4EOD trans. Here is what I've been going through
since January.
I had my original transmission fail at 184,000 miles. I tow a lot and
changed the fluid frequently in my 91 F350 crew cab. I had a rebuilt Ford
transmission installed and have had nothing but shifting problems. Since the
first one was installed in January , Ford has since installed three others
that continue to give me problems. The transmission will come out of gear
while cruising at highway speed and sit in no where land until I shift it
into second ...then eventually back into drive which it will eventually find
after two to three trys. Sometimes the transmission will shift from first
gear into nothing when climbing at slow speeds. Most of the time it will be
fine but will cause problems at least once or twice a day. Each transmission
has had the same problem. I replaced the transmission harness and put a
different processing unit in it a few different times.
Sometimes it shifts hard and other times it shifts fine. It seems to shift
real hard after experiencing the shift misses and seems to load up and then
shift real late . Is this familiar to anyone?? The dealership has had this
truck about twelve different times since January including today and can't
seem to make any headway!
Mike
91 4wd F350 Crew Cab

------------------------------

From: b-khanson juno.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:26:11 -0500
Subject: Re: LPG and cold weather


>You're dealing with a gas, so atomization of the fuel
>is no longer a problem, propane boils at -40 F so
>that's not a problem very often where you and I live.

But it is a problem where I live! I used to drive bus
for our school district which experimented with a few
LPG units. The LPG's would always start, but would
have NO power until the system was fully warmed up
(and the fuel vapor pressure reached normal levels).

I remember driving one for 2 hours one morning (not
abnormally cold for MN, but below zero F) before
the bus began running right. The diesels (equipped
with block heaters and plugged in overnight) on the
other hand, would exhibit normal driveability right
off the bat.

Bottom line, they didn't work out particularly well
in this experiment and the district reverted to an all-
diesel fleet.

Bruce Hanson
Apple Valley, MN

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:33:20 +1000
From: les williams cyber.net.au>
Subject: Re: LPG and cold weather


Hi Bruce,

Please, Please, Please, More Details, Please.

As much as you can recall concerning type of vehicles, engines, single
fuel or dual fuelled ? Type of mixers & regulators ? Anything, no matter
how trivial it may seem to you, will be of interest to me. I'm very
curious about the comment of :- 'but would have NO power until the
system was fully warmed up
(and the fuel vapor pressure reached normal levels).'

regards
Les



b-khanson juno.com wrote:
>
> >You're dealing with a gas, so atomization of the fuel
> >is no longer a problem, propane boils at -40 F so
> >that's not a problem very often where you and I live.
>
> But it is a problem where I live! I used to drive bus
> for our school district which experimented with a few
> LPG units. The LPG's would always start, but would
> have NO power until the system was fully warmed up
> (and the fuel vapor pressure reached normal levels).....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.