From: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com (80-96-list-digest)
To: 80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list-digest V3 #348
Reply-To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


80-96-list-digest Thursday, December 9 1999 Volume 03 : Number 348



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - Timing
Re: FTE 80-96 - Timing
Re: FTE 80-96 - Clear Taillight lenses! Cool Fool
RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane
FTE 80-96 - turn signals
FTE 80-96 - Landing lights
FTE 80-96 - Landing lights...correction.
RE: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights
FTE 80-96 - Check Engine Light
Re: FTE 80-96 - Grandpa's Remedies
Re: FTE 80-96 - Clear Taillight lenses! Cool Fool
Re: FTE 80-96 - Is this legal?
Re: FTE 80-96 - Is this legal?
RE: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights
Re: FTE 80-96 - Is this legal?
FTE 80-96 - Head lamps
Re: FTE 80-96 - Propane
RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane
RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane
Re: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights - Candle Power
RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane
Re: FTE 80-96 - Wide tires and lift kits....legal?
Re: FTE 80-96 - Head lamps
FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: ALL NEW SERVICES ON THE FTE WEB SITE
FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: New server
FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: New events guide
RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane
FTE 80-96 - Propane conversion

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 07:45:35 EST
From: BanksRVA aol.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Timing

Can someone tell me why the timing mark on my crankshaft pulley would end up
180 degrees from where it should be. The truck is an 82 with a 300 I-6 and
the mark is at the bottom of the crankshaft when the timing light is used.
Thanks, Joe
82 F100
Flareside
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 08:15:48 -0500
From: slikness mindspring.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Timing

Somebody pulled the distributor and re-installed it 180 degrees out from where he pulled it. Not sure why it should really work that way, but with the inline six, maybe it doesn't make a big difference in driveability.

Slik

> Can someone tell me why the timing mark on my crankshaft pulley would end up 180 degrees from where it should be. The truck is an 82 with a 300 I-6

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 08:44:17 -0500
From: flagship worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Clear Taillight lenses! Cool Fool

You missed my point. Continued harping about clear lenses started the
post. If they were so hard to see, how come they get noticed. My point
is your lifted, lowered and otherwise modified truck is a thorn in some
liberals (read "Big Govt") side. Just like clear lenses and low riders
bother some readers here. It's all a safety issue if you want it to
be. Unless your degree is in automotive engineering, who are we to
change the geometry of a truck suspension by lowering or raising it. I
say... WHO CARES. It's my truck and I'll do it if it pleases me unless
someone can prove it borders on negligence. Has no one noticed the
assault on SUV's by every so called "safety" group and environmental
organization? In there rose colored view of life, there is absolutely,
positively no way you can justify the ownership of an SUV. That goes
for every truck I've ever seen mentioned here. 12 MPG to get two or less
people around town will never work at the "central committee". The
commissar simply won't have it. But they have learned they can't simply
ban things. They raise safety issues. Especially with children. Then
incrementally they'll make things difficult for the manufacturers to
comply with. Then they'll start lawsuits. It beats the old fashion way
of the political process. No one's talking seriously about banning hand
guns anymore, are they? The issue is now gun safety. Sue the
manufacturer for making an unsafe product and he'll stop. Like Colt
reducing sales to civilians. FORD is on the list soon and they'll bend
like others before them. No more Excursion, no more diesels. No more
raised trucks. No off road packages and on down the line until we will
all be driving escorts with two cylinder power plants. Remember just a
few years ago, there was legislation wandering through congress to
greatly restrict the ability of owners to do maintenance on their own
vehicles. This almost got to the point of outlawing even oil changes
because some owners simply put the used oil in storm drains. It will
never end. Stick together, or bow to the SAFETY NAZIS!!! Sorry for the
long post. P.S. I also picked up that Asian courtesy of parking lights
only at stop lights until a police officer flashed his lights at me.
When I did nothing he stopped beside me and threatened arrest if I did
it again. He said I'm not in Korea anymore. Go figure.

Emil



Michael McCarthy wrote:
>
> This post is not a criticism of any previous post or individual. It is
> merely my humble opinion.
>
> You said it, "live and let live". In particular, "let live". Don't make your
> vehicle unsafe to operate or hinder the ability of others to operate their
> vehicles safely and nobody cares what you do to your truck. "Safety" is not
> a rallying cry, it is a real concern. You are probably a responsible
> individual but what about those who aren't? Yes, sometimes our legislators,
> or others in authority, over react. Exercise your constitutional right to
> get the law changed if you believe in your cause. Democracy & freedom carry
> responsibilities, they are not an open license to do as we please without
> regard for others. We are all restricted from doing EVERYTHING we want to
> do.
>
> We have all seen some really fantastic looking trucks out there with all
> kinds of lights, lifted, lowered and other assorted modifications and the
> folks who operate them are safe and sane. We have also seen the bozo who
> lifts his truck to the sky and then thinks he is driving a sports car, or
> likes to pull right up behind you and shine his lights right in your rear
> view mirror. Unfortunately, it is the later who gets all of the attention.
>
> BTW, I picked up a little common courtesy driving habit in Japan. When most
> drivers in Japan are sitting at a red light they turn off their head lights
> and use only their parking lights. When the light changes they turn on their
> head lights and continue on their way. It doesn't make much of a difference
> when I am in my passenger car but in my truck, or motorhome, people really
> appreciate it and they let me know they appreciate it. If everybody that
> drove a "lifted", or higher, vehicle adopted this habit you might find
> public opinion on your side rather than against you.
>
> Michael McCarthy
> Export, PA
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: flagship worldnet.att.net
> To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Date: Monday, December 06, 1999 8:03 PM
> Subject: FTE 80-96 - Clear Taillight lenses! Cool Fool
>
> >do ANYTHING else to change it such that someone would notice
> >it, you're going to make some safety nazi out there try to legislate
> >your hobby away. When will Americans just live and let live. Usually
> >"safety" is the rallying cry to whip up the crowds fervor and herd them
> >in the direction you wish. The fact someone doesn't like something or
> >is irritated by it is never enough. You have to be able to point out
> >how it's somehow unsafe. That way it's okay to stop your neighbors
> >pursuit of happiness. Or so it seems to me.
> >
> >Emil
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:17:51 -0600
From: "Moore, Jimmy"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane

Okay guys, I have my '81 F-150 and I am considering changing it to propane,
after hearing everything that y'all are saying. I would like to know what
it takes to do so. It has the inline six, with dual tanks.

Thanks,
Jim Moore Women are like a box of chocolates,
1981 Ford F-150 300 Six the sweet stuff is in the middle.
Oklahoma City, OK
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 08:54:19 -0600
From: "PHILLIP P. GUIDRY"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - turn signals

>Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 07:37:02 -0700
>From: "Davies, Don"
>Subject: FTE 80-96 - Turn signals
>
>The turn signals and emergency signals on my '95 Bronco stopped working >- I
>checked the signals fuse and it's OK - has anyone had this problem ?
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

Don,most FORD vehicles have 2 flasher units,and,sometimes work in unison
to flash left or right or both.The flasher you see right away in the
fuse box is the hazard one.The turn flasher is either directly behind
the fuse box,even with the hazard one, or, above the steering column & a
little to the right in the harness.But before you change both as I
always do,check ALL the fuses,not just the ones that say
flash,turn,brake,etc.
Phillip
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 09:37:52 -0600
From: deis0 attglobal.net
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights

Some part numbers for GE landing lights...

GE-4509 13v/100w PAR-36 (5-1/4") $ 10.40
GE-4522 13v/250w PAR-46 (7") 21.50
GE-4313 13v/250w PAR-46 17.00

No idea the difference between the last two...maybe filament
position...GE will not make drawings available. Source is Aircraft
Spruce, 800-824-1930; good people and fast shipment. These also ought
to be gettable at most small airports...probably more money.

Any of these need 10 or 12 awg wiring to both sides of the bulb, and the
wiring has to run off a good quality relay. Look for a 30 amp relay,
and use one relay per light. Mount the relays as close to the battery
as possible, and run power to the relay directly from the + battery
terminal. Put a 30 amp fuse in-line with the relay supply wire

I've got a line on housings & will get back to the list with a source
when I know they're available.

Local NAPA stores (N.Texas) have not heard of landing lights...all they
have are tractor lights. If anybody finds landing lights at NAPA, I'd
appreciate hearing about it.

HTH.

steve in tx
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 09:58:45 -0600
From: deis0 attglobal.net
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights...correction.

Dimensions for PAR sizes in my last message were for housing diameter,
not bulb diameter. Mea culpa, etc. Diameters at the bulb rim are:

PAR-36 4.5-inches
PAR-46 5.7-inches

steve in tx
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:11:42 -0500
From: "Mahaffey, Chris M"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights

Does anyone know how this wattage would compare to a handheld spotlight?
When a spotlight is purchased they always seem to rate them in candle power,
like 500,000 or 1,000,000. I know it probably varies with bulb type
(halogen vs. xenon) and things, but is there an approximate conversion from
watts to candle power? I had a friend who had taken an aircraft landing
light and mounted it in a sauce pan to create a handheld spotlight from it.
It was very bright but it didn't seem to have the same focused beam of a
commercial spotlight.

Chris

- -----Original Message-----
From: deis0 attglobal.net [mailto:deis0 attglobal.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 10:38 AM
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights


Some part numbers for GE landing lights...

GE-4509 13v/100w PAR-36 (5-1/4") $ 10.40
GE-4522 13v/250w PAR-46 (7") 21.50
GE-4313 13v/250w PAR-46 17.00

No idea the difference between the last two...maybe filament
position...GE will not make drawings available. Source is Aircraft
Spruce, 800-824-1930; good people and fast shipment. These also ought
to be gettable at most small airports...probably more money.

Any of these need 10 or 12 awg wiring to both sides of the bulb, and the
wiring has to run off a good quality relay. Look for a 30 amp relay,
and use one relay per light. Mount the relays as close to the battery
as possible, and run power to the relay directly from the + battery
terminal. Put a 30 amp fuse in-line with the relay supply wire

I've got a line on housings & will get back to the list with a source
when I know they're available.

Local NAPA stores (N.Texas) have not heard of landing lights...all they
have are tractor lights. If anybody finds landing lights at NAPA, I'd
appreciate hearing about it.

HTH.

steve in tx
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:29:32 -0800
From: "Matt Hodel"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Check Engine Light

Ok, I was coming home last night and had my "Check Engine" light start
flashing at me. It happened while going up a hill under moderate
acceleration. The part that confused me is that it seemed to pulse, on
about a second, off about a second, it seemed to do 3 or 4 flashes before
pausing a couple seconds, then start flashing again. It stopped doing it
after the terrain leveled out and I didn't have any more hills for the rest
of the trip, so I'm not sure if it can be duplicated. I'm wondering if
those flashes mean something (was it showing a code?) or if it just couldn't
decide if it had a problem... Will there be a code stored that I can check
using one of the techniques previously discussed on this list or do I have
to wait for something to break in a more permanent fashion?

89 F-150 300-i6 4x4 4-spd manual

Thanks guys,
Matt Hodel
Java/Asp Programmer, GeekBoy
iPONG Game Community
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.ipong.com


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:52:26 -0600
From: "DannyF"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Grandpa's Remedies

> No H2O will not hurt your oxygen sensor unless the water you are using
> has
> an extremly high lead content, which then your oxygen sensor failure will
> be
> the least of your problems.

Phred, its not the water itself damaging O2 sensors, its the carbon
that can dislodge and get stuck onto the O2 sensor that can make
them give erroneous readings back to the ECM. Same w/plugs.

Just something to watch for. Nevertheless, water misting is very
worthwhile.

*snip*

> And Danny, have you ever seen a nice fairly new Mercedes-Benz or a
> Navigator with teeny tiny white wall tires? I almost cried. These are
> not
> vehicles some high school kid is going to purchase and drive around. No
> sir,

Good Lord! A Navigator or Benz w/these crappy tires? Did he have
a sign/emblem on the back window saying, "Look at me. See how I
messed up a perfectly good vehicle"?

Maybe we're out of the "dork loop". Perhaps theres an unofficial
challenge/contest going on that we don't know about. Who can
totally screw up the best/newest vehicle the most?

> adults (??) were driving these puppies, I saw them. I agree with your
> notion
> but I call it ruining the handling, gearing and ride of a perfectly good
> vehicle (and then cruisin' the freeway doing 40 mph?!), but I guess
> ignorance is bliss. Take that anyway you want. Its a culture thing and I
> don't see it. Are my eyes open but my mind shut? Is it me?
> BTW, if you (or anybody else on the list) ever get the notion to come
> to
> the El Paso/Las Cruces area, let me know because this is the real
> Mexican
> food capitol of the world and I know some great places where the food is
> just one culinary orgasm after another.
>
> Phred Moreno, KD5AQB

I hear you Phred! I don't know how San Antonio rates against El
Paso but I can say we do have some kick-butt Mexican food
places here too. I'm only 5' 8" in height and its all I can do from that
becoming my waistline size.
Danny
danf01 worldnet.att.net
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 14:02:33 -0500
From: "Michael McCarthy"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Clear Taillight lenses! Cool Fool

Well, actually, I didn't miss your point and I don't disagree with you
either. There is too much government but...
This is one of those don't discuss politics, or religion, issues so I'll
move on to something else.
BTW, I've never had a policeman warn me about that practice particularly
when I come up behind them. Sounds like you ran into one of those cops who
likes to flaunt his authority. I might test the court system if I run into
him. I'm trying to remember where I was that they drove without headlights
on well lighted streets. No matter.
BTW2 - You seem like a reasonably intelligent person and I don't believe
that you would do whatever you wanted to your truck unless someone calls you
on it. I am sure you are as concerned about your safety as the next guy. No
reply necessary, just a guess.

Michael McCarthy
- -----Original Message-----
From: flagship worldnet.att.net
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Clear Taillight lenses! Cool Fool


>You missed my point. Continued harping about clear lenses started the
>post. If they were so hard to see, how come they get noticed. My point
>is your lifted, lowered and otherwise modified truck is a thorn in some
>liberals (read "Big Govt") side. Just like clear lenses and low riders
>bother some readers here. It's all a safety issue if you want it to
>be. Unless your degree is in automotive engineering, who are we to
>change the geometry of a truck suspension by lowering or raising it. I
>say... WHO CARES. It's my truck and I'll do it if it pleases me unless
>someone can prove it borders on negligence. Has no one noticed the
>assault on SUV's by every so called "safety" group and environmental
>organization? In there rose colored view of life, there is absolutely,
>positively no way you can justify the ownership of an SUV. That goes
>for every truck I've ever seen mentioned here. 12 MPG to get two or less
>people around town will never work at the "central committee". The
>commissar simply won't have it. But they have learned they can't simply
>ban things. They raise safety issues. Especially with children. Then
>incrementally they'll make things difficult for the manufacturers to
>comply with. Then they'll start lawsuits. It beats the old fashion way
>of the political process. No one's talking seriously about banning hand
>guns anymore, are they? The issue is now gun safety. Sue the
>manufacturer for making an unsafe product and he'll stop. Like Colt
>reducing sales to civilians. FORD is on the list soon and they'll bend
>like others before them. No more Excursion, no more diesels. No more
>raised trucks. No off road packages and on down the line until we will
>all be driving escorts with two cylinder power plants. Remember just a
>few years ago, there was legislation wandering through congress to
>greatly restrict the ability of owners to do maintenance on their own
>vehicles. This almost got to the point of outlawing even oil changes
>because some owners simply put the used oil in storm drains. It will
>never end. Stick together, or bow to the SAFETY NAZIS!!! Sorry for the
>long post. P.S. I also picked up that Asian courtesy of parking lights
>only at stop lights until a police officer flashed his lights at me.
>When I did nothing he stopped beside me and threatened arrest if I did
>it again. He said I'm not in Korea anymore. Go figure.
>
>Emil
>
>
>


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 06:29:54 +1100
From: les williams
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Is this legal?

Ken,
I'm sure your system of light's and switch's works far easier than it reads ;-))

I must admit, I think the use of white fog lights is becoming a problem, as
these are becoming de facto driving lights without the same controls. The
subaru sti, suzuki gti, bmw, & merc's come to mind. Just the usual badly aimed,
and down here they can be used almost anytime. I believe the Professional Truck
Drivers are trying to lobby against them. I suppose this is how we get add a new
chapter to the Motor Traffic Act.

regards

Les
Lost in the Land of OZ


ken haley wrote:

> Les,
>
> The US automotive lighting laws are a bit behind the rest of the world. Of
> course, we have rectal heads who deliberately aim their lights high just to
> prove they have attitude. What can I say. Anyway, on empty roads I'm shining
> 660 watts, and that's nearly enough to burn the fur of a groundhog at 100
> meters.
>
> BTW, I used relays in parallel to turn the white fogs on and off with the
> lows, and 1 pair of driving lights on and off with the highs, all off the
> stock dimmer. The second set of driving lights can also be integrayed with
> the high beams if desired, which I usually do. The amber fogs are integrated
> with the parking lights, but go off when the high beams are on. The
> cornering lights are integrated with the turn signals. 3-way switches and a
> relay or 2 make it all work. Also, I can turn on each circuit independently.
> The switch panel for all this monkey business is in the console, with the
> handles projecting forward.
>
> Ken
>


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 12:33:04 PST
From: "ken haley"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Is this legal?

Dennis,

Road construction zones are death zones for construction workers. Tennessee
has really cracked down on speeding in construction zones because of the
extremely high death and injury rates of construction workers.

If you knew this kid, and his mouth, you'd be cheering the officer on.
Especially if you lived nearby and had to try to sleep through his 1000
watts of sub-base at 3 AM as he did laps through the 'hood.

What accessories are on your vehicle are less important than how you use
them.

Besides, this kid is a felon. How do you think he pays for his Nissan?

Ken

>Hmmm. Ten over gets you a 250 dollar fine and 13 equipment violations
>at 65 dollars each. Sounds more like the officer has the attitude.
>Felons aren't fined that much!! Go sit in a court room sometime and see
>what the judge gives for some kid stealing a car or other non violent
>crime.
>
>Dennis Thompson wrote:
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: ken haley
> > To:
> > Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 11:25 AM
> > Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Is this legal?
> >
> > > Blake,
> > >
> > > I don't know exactly what "DOT pproved" means. You want to run them,
>run
> > > them. The kid across the street got nailed for 55 in a 45 construction
> > zone
> > > ($250) and 13 equipment violations at $65 each. Headlight covers, blue
> > dots,
> > > and red interior lights visible from in front of the vehicle. Other
> > > equipment violations: tires extending beyond the body, cracked
>windshield,
> > > spinners extending beyond the wheel, too-dark window tint, and
> > insufficient
> > > load capacity tires. The officer must have really known his stuff. I
> > > understand the kid brought it on himself by sassing the officer when
>he
> > was
> > > pulled over for speeding. IMHO, the kid got what he deserved.
> >
> > That does my heart good!
> > Congrats to the officer, I'm tired of seeing these ridiculous, dangerous
> > vehicles
> > with stereos you can hear for blocks being driven recklessly by
>worthless
> > little punks.
> > ( there's a truck here in town like this with a HUGE, bright chevy neon
>sign
> > in the back window,
> > he can't possibly see at night with this thing on! )
> > Driving is a privlege not a right, follow the rules or get off the road.
> >
> > SPECTRE
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 13:15:53 PST
From: "ken haley"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights

Okay,

Candlepower = the intensity of light from one candle. Really doesn't mean a
thing. Advertising gimmick. I actually teach a physics lesson on this topic.
Go by wattage and beam pattern, all else being equal. Note that different
types of filament/glass/in-bulb environment yield different colors and
intensities of light emitted. Stick with Cibie and you can't go wrong, but
you will pay for what you get. Otherwise, you get what you pay for. :)

Ken


>Does anyone know how this wattage would compare to a handheld spotlight?
>When a spotlight is purchased they always seem to rate them in candle
>power,
>like 500,000 or 1,000,000. I know it probably varies with bulb type
>(halogen vs. xenon) and things, but is there an approximate conversion from
>watts to candle power? I had a friend who had taken an aircraft landing
>light and mounted it in a sauce pan to create a handheld spotlight from it.
>It was very bright but it didn't seem to have the same focused beam of a
>commercial spotlight.
>
>Chris
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: deis0 attglobal.net [mailto:deis0 attglobal.net]
>Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 10:38 AM
>To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
>Subject: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights
>
>
>Some part numbers for GE landing lights...
>
>GE-4509 13v/100w PAR-36 (5-1/4") $ 10.40
>GE-4522 13v/250w PAR-46 (7") 21.50
>GE-4313 13v/250w PAR-46 17.00
>
>No idea the difference between the last two...maybe filament
>position...GE will not make drawings available. Source is Aircraft
>Spruce, 800-824-1930; good people and fast shipment. These also ought
>to be gettable at most small airports...probably more money.
>
>Any of these need 10 or 12 awg wiring to both sides of the bulb, and the
>wiring has to run off a good quality relay. Look for a 30 amp relay,
>and use one relay per light. Mount the relays as close to the battery
>as possible, and run power to the relay directly from the + battery
>terminal. Put a 30 amp fuse in-line with the relay supply wire
>
>I've got a line on housings & will get back to the list with a source
>when I know they're available.
>
>Local NAPA stores (N.Texas) have not heard of landing lights...all they
>have are tractor lights. If anybody finds landing lights at NAPA, I'd
>appreciate hearing about it.
>
>HTH.
>
>steve in tx
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 13:21:59 PST
From: "ken haley"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Is this legal?

Les,

White fogs are NOT a legal substitute for low beams, nor do they allow any
better distance illumination. They provide a much WIDER pattern of
illumination than low beams alone, and if mounted and aimed properly are not
a problem to oncoming drivers.

Ken


>Ken,
>I'm sure your system of light's and switch's works far easier than it reads
>;-))
>
>I must admit, I think the use of white fog lights is becoming a problem, as
>these are becoming de facto driving lights without the same controls. The
>subaru sti, suzuki gti, bmw, & merc's come to mind. Just the usual badly
>aimed,
>and down here they can be used almost anytime. I believe the Professional
>Truck
>Drivers are trying to lobby against them. I suppose this is how we get add
>a new
>chapter to the Motor Traffic Act.
>
>regards
>
>Les
>Lost in the Land of OZ
>
>
>ken haley wrote:
>
> > Les,
> >
> > The US automotive lighting laws are a bit behind the rest of the world.
>Of
> > course, we have rectal heads who deliberately aim their lights high just
>to
> > prove they have attitude. What can I say. Anyway, on empty roads I'm
>shining
> > 660 watts, and that's nearly enough to burn the fur of a groundhog at
>100
> > meters.
> >
> > BTW, I used relays in parallel to turn the white fogs on and off with
>the
> > lows, and 1 pair of driving lights on and off with the highs, all off
>the
> > stock dimmer. The second set of driving lights can also be integrayed
>with
> > the high beams if desired, which I usually do. The amber fogs are
>integrated
> > with the parking lights, but go off when the high beams are on. The
> > cornering lights are integrated with the turn signals. 3-way switches
>and a
> > relay or 2 make it all work. Also, I can turn on each circuit
>independently.
> > The switch panel for all this monkey business is in the console, with
>the
> > handles projecting forward.
> >
> > Ken
> >
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:32:42 -0500
From: am14 daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Head lamps

Michael McC. writes: >>BTW, I picked up a little common courtesy driving
habit in Japan. When most
drivers in Japan are sitting at a red light they turn off their head lights
and use only their parking lights. When the light changes they turn on
their
head lights and continue on their way.

Usually when I approach an intersection where I have to stop(red light or
stop sign) I usually turn my headlamps off also. Keeps from blinding the
person on the opposite side of the intersection especially if I am on a
slight incline.

Azie

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 08:50:25 +1100
From: les williams
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Propane

Hi Jim,
Well, what can I say, It's the way to go.... But before you get too excited
about it, I got some homework for you to do. I'm sure Phred will have plenty to
say on the subject and he may, or may not, agree with my points.

* Check out the local availability and reliability of Propane supply. If
your living in a 'Dry Town'- forget it. In the early days we played a game
called spot the LPG refiller, now so common in Oz.
* Decide on Single or Dual Fuel install. Single Fuel is the much, much,
preferred option.
* Check out Propane Installers, If they only seem to have One Size Mixer
fits ALL, move on to the next. and for God's Sake get them to quote on 'L'
brackets, and hang the tank(s) off the chassis rails. Don't let them talk
you into putting them in the cargo area. Cheap & easy for them. Don't
forget if you go all gas the area currently taken by fuel tanks will be
freed up for LPG tanks. Sell/Give away the old tanks to somone on the list
(?).
* Make a list of what they are doing for your money. A lot of the smaller
details you can do yourself.
* What is the state of the engine? Now you gotta be honest here. If it burns
oil now, it still will with LPG. Propane does not have any miracle
rejuvenating qualities, or are you re-building the engine for propane?
(Even Better!! now we can have some real FUN!!)
* How long do you propose to keep the truck? If you turn over trucks
annually then the capital investment could be a problem. Are you eligable
for any rebates? since you are now turning a mid shade of 'environmental
green'.
* Ignition System - Hell, talk to Phred....He can talk your socks off on the
subject!!.

If all the answers to this point are to the positive, then you are, in my
opinion, a good candidate for Propane use. Post the results of your findings &
the quotes, Before you sign anything. I sure sombody ( that being Phred or
maybe Chris - since I'm in OZ, I am not up with what you should be paying )
will indicate if you are being 'shafted'!!
This should be enough to get you started in the right direction.

regards

Les
Lost in the Land of OZ



"Moore, Jimmy" wrote:

> Okay guys, I have my '81 F-150 and I am considering changing it to propane,
> after hearing everything that y'all are saying. I would like to know what
> it takes to do so. It has the inline six, with dual tanks.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Moore Women are like a box of chocolates,
> 1981 Ford F-150 300 Six the sweet stuff is in the middle.
> Oklahoma City, OK
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:47:49 -0800
From: Chris McKinnon
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane

>
>Okay guys, I have my '81 F-150 and I am considering changing it to propane,
>after hearing everything that y'all are saying. I would like to know what
>it takes to do so. It has the inline six, with dual tanks.
>
>Thanks,
>Jim Moore Women are like a box of chocolates,
>1981 Ford F-150 300 Six the sweet stuff is in the middle.
>Oklahoma City, OK
>
My truck has a propane system installed and I'm very happy with it. I think
that the best place to put the tanks is wherer the rear fuel tank is now.
The tanks are fairly heavy and it's good to have that extra wieght to help
with traction when it gets slippery out. I wouldn't install a tank smaller
than 25 gallon. Mine is a 150L (40 gallon) installed in the bed and I wish
it where a 250L (60 gallon.) I didn't do the install, it was a previous
owner. As for what it takes, you need a different carb, 1 or more tanks,
hoses, a vapourizer and a cutoff valve. You might want to change out your
ignition as well. Eveyone says good things about the MSD products. I'm using
a TFI-VI.
That's all that comes to mind.
Chris
'84 F150
351W on propane
NP 435
NP 208
281K Km

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:24:05 -0600
From: "Moore, Jimmy"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane

Why is it so necessary to change the ignition system? When you say change,
does that mean the distributor, etc, or the key ignition?

How about the power? Do you get the same power from the motor as with
petro?

Jim Moore
1981 Ford F-150 300 Six
Oklahoma City, OK

>
My truck has a propane system installed and I'm very happy with it. I think
that the best place to put the tanks is wherer the rear fuel tank is now.
The tanks are fairly heavy and it's good to have that extra wieght to help
with traction when it gets slippery out. I wouldn't install a tank smaller
than 25 gallon. Mine is a 150L (40 gallon) installed in the bed and I wish
it where a 250L (60 gallon.) I didn't do the install, it was a previous
owner. As for what it takes, you need a different carb, 1 or more tanks,
hoses, a vapourizer and a cutoff valve. You might want to change out your
ignition as well. Eveyone says good things about the MSD products. I'm using
a TFI-VI.
That's all that comes to mind.
Chris
'84 F150
351W on propane
NP 435
NP 208
281K Km

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:01:36 -0500
From: "Matt Fitzsimmons"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights - Candle Power

- ----- Original Message -----
From: ken haley
To:
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 4:15 PM
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Landing lights


> Okay,
>
> Candlepower = the intensity of light from one candle. Really doesn't mean
a
> thing. Advertising gimmick. I actually teach a physics lesson on this
topic.
> Go by wattage and beam pattern, all else being equal. Note that different
> types of filament/glass/in-bulb environment yield different colors and
> intensities of light emitted. Stick with Cibie and you can't go wrong, but
> you will pay for what you get. Otherwise, you get what you pay for. :)
>
> Ken
>
Well, .... no. There is a relationship between Watts and Candle Power.

1 Watt is apporoximately 8377.3 Candle power.

So a 500,000 Candle Power hand held is about the same as a 60 Watt Lamp
or a 1,000,000 Candle Power rating is about the same as 120 Watt lamp.

So when you plug one of those into your lighter, it's drawing 5 or 10 Amps.

Who ever brought up the idea about cooling the lamp is quite right.
Aircraft lights require cooling, don't run them too long without cooling.
Also, most hand held spots have heat sinks behind the lamp to help disipate
heat away. Don't run one of them too long either.

Matt

>
> >Does anyone know how this wattage would compare to a handheld spotlight?
> >When a spotlight is purchased they always seem to rate them in candle
> >power,
> >like 500,000 or 1,000,000. I know it probably varies with bulb type
> >(halogen vs. xenon) and things, but is there an approximate conversion
from
> >watts to candle power? I had a friend who had taken an aircraft landing
> >light and mounted it in a sauce pan to create a handheld spotlight from
it.
> >It was very bright but it didn't seem to have the same focused beam of a
> >commercial spotlight.
> >
> >Chris


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 23:00:47 GMT
From: "Joshua Gamache"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane

I never sent a message about propane or ignition systems, my question had to
deal with transmissions. I think you had the wrong email address. But if
you can help me with my problem I would really apprectiate it.


>From: "Moore, Jimmy"
>Reply-To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
>To: "'80-96-list ford-trucks.com'"
>Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane
>Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:24:05 -0600
>
>Why is it so necessary to change the ignition system? When you say change,
>does that mean the distributor, etc, or the key ignition?
>
>How about the power? Do you get the same power from the motor as with
>petro?
>
>Jim Moore
>1981 Ford F-150 300 Six
>Oklahoma City, OK
>
> >
>My truck has a propane system installed and I'm very happy with it. I think
>that the best place to put the tanks is wherer the rear fuel tank is now.
>The tanks are fairly heavy and it's good to have that extra wieght to help
>with traction when it gets slippery out. I wouldn't install a tank smaller
>than 25 gallon. Mine is a 150L (40 gallon) installed in the bed and I wish
>it where a 250L (60 gallon.) I didn't do the install, it was a previous
>owner. As for what it takes, you need a different carb, 1 or more tanks,
>hoses, a vapourizer and a cutoff valve. You might want to change out your
>ignition as well. Eveyone says good things about the MSD products. I'm
>using
>a TFI-VI.
>That's all that comes to mind.
>Chris
>'84 F150
>351W on propane
>NP 435
>NP 208
>281K Km
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:04:45 -0700
From: "Dave Resch"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Wide tires and lift kits....legal?

>From: FULSZBRONC aol.com
>Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Wide tires and lift kits....legal?
>
>Like I said, enforcement is spotty but lift kits or
>ANY suspension modifications are illegal in
>Colorado.

Yo Alex:

Here's the full text of CRS 42-4-233:
(1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered
under the laws of this state upon a public highway with either the rear or front
suspension system altered or changed from the manufacturer's original design
except in accordance with specifications permitting such alteration established
by the department. Nothing contained in this section shall prevent the
installation of manufactured heavy duty equipment to include shock absorbers and
overload springs, nor shall anything contained in this section prevent a person
from operating a motor vehicle on a public highway with normal wear of the
suspension system if normal wear shall not affect the control of the vehicle.
(2) This section shall not apply to motor vehicles designed or modified
primarily for off-highway racing purposes, and such motor vehicles may be
lawfully towed on the highways of this state.
(3) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class 2
misdemeanor traffic offense.

>And now for the big secret: Although the suspension
>law is still on the books and still being enforced, it
>was declared unconstitutional in 1976.

When a court declares a state law "unconstitutional" and the case is closed, the
law is removed from the statutes. If the case is appealed, it is not closed
until the appeals process is complete. If the appeal fails, the case is closed
and the law is found to be valid. It can't be both ways (i.e., found
unconstitutional and still on the books). At this time, CRS 42-4-233 is still
in effect.

Lift kit manufacturers and installers claim that their products are not
prohibited under one of the three exceptions cited in the statute:

1. the products do not change the "manufacturer's original design"
2. the product design is "in accordance with specifications permitting such
alteration established by the department"
3. the products are "manufactured heavy duty equipment"

A variety of lift kits are routinely sold and installed on vehicles in Colorado
w/out any apparent legal problems.

Other provisions in the statutes specifically allow modified suspensions on
"street rod vehicles" (42-3-114 (3) (b)), and CRS 42-4-202, Unsafe vehicles -
penalty - identification plates, says that (1) It is unlawful for any person to
drive ... on any highway any vehicle ... which is in such unsafe condition as to
endanger any person..." and (3) Nothing in this article shall be construed to
prohibit the use of additional parts and accessories on any vehicle, consistent
with the provisions of this article.

>I work closely with law enforcement on a daily basis
>and 2 of my best friends are traffic cops. (I take a bit
>of good-natured grief from them about my '85 Bronco's
>3'' lift and 31X10.5 tires)

If what you said about lift kits were true, I would suspect that your friends
would give you more than just "good-natured grief."

Dave R (M-block devotee)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 19:27:22 -0500
From: "Michael McCarthy"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Head lamps

Hadn't thought of that, I'll pick up the practice.

Michael McCarthy
Export, PA

- -----Original Message-----
From: am14 daimlerchrysler.com
To: 80-96-list Ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 4:34 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Head lamps


>
>Usually when I approach an intersection where I have to stop(red light or
>stop sign) I usually turn my headlamps off also. Keeps from blinding the
>person on the opposite side of the intersection especially if I am on a
>slight incline.
>
>Azie
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 19:56:55 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: ALL NEW SERVICES ON THE FTE WEB SITE

Ford Truck Enthusiasts is pleased to announce the addition
of AutoGuide to web site. The AutoGuide features the
following services:

- - Price quote on a new or used truck, car or van. FREE
- - Insurance quote. FREE
- - Finance quote. FREE
- - Car Title Check, $17.50
- - Warranty purchase, varies
- - Personal credit check (useful to know BEFORE you go to
the dealer), $8.00
- - Auto accessories, varies

Check them out on the main page of the web site:
http://www.ford-trucks.com

We hope you find these services useful. Services such as
these enable us to continue to offer our free web services
to our users as we grow.

Regards,
Ken Payne
Admin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 20:10:56 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: New server

Ford Truck Enthusiasts is pleased to announce that we
now have a new dedicated server to host our web services.
This high powered machine will be able to handle several
million file hits per day (the current server does about
100,000-200,000 per day).

The system, in a nutshell:

500Mhz Pentium III
256 megabytes of RAM
10 gigabyte 10,000 RPM hard drive.
100 megabit network connection
Redhat Linux with secure SSL server
MAE-East and Neutral network backbone connections

Currently, FTE is hosted on two shared servers with a total
of 500 meg of drive space available to us. During the
next 2-3 weeks we will transition the site over to the new
server. You should not notice any changes other than
much faster response time. As part of the move, the entire
mailing archive will be placed online with full searching
capabilities! The archive takes about 200 meg of space.
Expect to see many new free services added to the site
as we leverage the power of this new server.

Regards,
Ken Payne
Admin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 20:47:04 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: New events guide

Go to the main page of the web site (www.ford-trucks.com)
to see our all new events guide. This calendar based
guide will allow you to add your Ford truck events.

Enjoy!
Ken Payne
Admin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:43:04 -0800
From: Chris McKinnon
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Propane....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.