From: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com (80-96-list-digest)
To: 80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list-digest V3 #301
Reply-To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


80-96-list-digest Wednesday, October 27 1999 Volume 03 : Number 301



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - 94 Ranger Tire upgrades
Re: FTE 80-96 - You have to get up oily
FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves
Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves
[none]
RE: FTE 80-96 - Codes on 88' F350 CrewCab Dually
Re: FTE 80-96 - You have to get up oily
Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves
FTE 80-96 - Some info/Help needed
FTE 80-96 - Aftermarket truck body
Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves
Re: FTE 80-96 - Some info/Help needed
FTE 80-96 - Cracked Exhaust Manifolds
FTE 80-96 - RE: Oz Les, and flame throwing!
FTE 80-96 - Lazy Heater Situation
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: 460 vs. 302 mileage
: FTE 80-96 - RE: 460 vs. 302 mileage
Re: FTE 80-96 - Lazy Heater Situation
FTE 80-96 - towing help
Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves
FTE 80-96 - Oil Pressure and Temperature Gauges
FTE 80-96 - re: Engine noise and Trans
Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves
Re: FTE 80-96 - re: Engine noise and Trans
Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves
FTE 80-96 - read the book

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:44:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: falcon wmmrmail.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 94 Ranger Tire upgrades

Please can someone help with telling me (us) the maximun size tire for a stock 94 Ranger 2 wheel drive with no lift. I would really appreciate it.

Falcon

....................................
Get your free WMMR email account at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.wmmr.com

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:14:31 -0500
From: "Ed Mount"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - You have to get up oily

I didn't know Wolf's Head was a subsidiary of Pennzoil. I haven't seen
Wolf's Head oil around this part of the country for several years, but my
dad used to swear by it (and Quaker State).

Blake, you seem to be an encyclopedia on oil knowledge and history, thanks
for sharing. Would you agree that it is ok to change brands when you change
your oil? I usually use Pennzoil, but when I can get a sale on synthetic or
synthetic blend, I will buy that and use it for my next oil change.

From: Blake Malkamaki
To:
Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - You have to get up oily


> The traditional Pennsylvania motor oils are: Pennzoil, Quaker State,
Wolf's
> Head, Valvoline, Amalie, Kendall, and several others that are gone now.
>
> though Pennzoil motor oil and its branch line Wolf's Head
> motor oil are still made at their Rouseville refinery along Oil Creek
> across the creek from the oldest producing oilwell in the world (1860).

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:06:19 -0500
From: BAH NWC.EDU
Subject: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves

Does anyone have one of the above-windshield shelves
("Shelf-It" is one brand) installed on their F-series?

I'd like the extra storage in my '86 F-150, but am concerned
about how far down the shelf comes. The manufacturer says
they don't interfere with your vision unless you're real tall
(and I'm not), but I don't want something that comes down
much below the top of the windshield. So far I haven't found
a shop that stocks the units and haven't seen a truck with
one installed, so haven't been able to judge if it's something
I want to try.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks.

Bruce Hanson


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:32:45 -0500
From: "Steve Dyer"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves

Does anyone have one of the above-windshield shelves ("Shelf-It" is one
brand) installed on their F-series?

Bruce Hanson


- -------------

Bruce,

I ordered an upholstered steel one from Cabela's and installed it in my
'94 with no problem. I'm 6'1" and dropping the visors 3" or more is
definitely noticeable, but you get used to it in time and the shelf is very
handy. My only complaint was that the shelf was not pre-drilled for
mounting the small plastic locking notches that hold the ends of the visors.
Don't know if this is normal or if mine just escaped from the factory that
way, but it was little trouble to drill the proper holes.

Steve Dyer


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:29:13 -0500
From: "Williams, Michael A"
Subject: [none]

Response To:
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:31:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gary Perry
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Strange oi leak

List people,

Can anyone tell me if they have had problems with high
level oil leaks on a 302 small block.

Response:
Gary;
From my 302 experience, I would suggest looking at the intake manifold side
of both valve covers. These valve cover oil leaks tend to pool oil on the
top-inside of the engine and only beginning bottom dripping after a run
which pools enough oil to get blown backward. The covers can be tightened
without removing anything on the engine, but get ready for some fun. You
may have to replace the gaskets, recent posts covered the merits of metal
verses cork gaskets, with cork the winner ... I think.

Mike
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:55:47 -0500
From: "David Anderson (EUS)"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Codes on 88' F350 CrewCab Dually

I'd first review the procedure you're using. Even with no stored faults you
should get an "11" I think, meaning all OK. Take a look at this site for a
well written procedure and code list.
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html

David Anderson

>>>>>Hello all,

>>>>>>I attempted to read the KOEO codes but I get no response in this
configuration. I can get codes with the KOER status modes. Does anyone
have
an explanation as to why I get nothing with the KOEO settings....>>>>>>>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:28:47 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - You have to get up oily

>I didn't know Wolf's Head was a subsidiary of Pennzoil. I haven't seen
>Wolf's Head oil around this part of the country for several years, but my
>dad used to swear by it (and Quaker State).
>
>Blake, you seem to be an encyclopedia on oil knowledge and history, thanks
>for sharing. Would you agree that it is ok to change brands when you change
>your oil? I usually use Pennzoil, but when I can get a sale on synthetic or
>synthetic blend, I will buy that and use it for my next oil change.
>

Sure it is ok to change brands. Might even be good as one brand might clean
out what the other left behind. Not sure about doing it with synthetics
though... I know very little about them.


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/oilwell
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."
"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject...."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:38:13 -0500
From: "Ed Mount"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves

Steve
Did you find it in a catalog, web page, or what? How much was it?
Ed
- ----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Dyer
To:
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves


> Does anyone have one of the above-windshield shelves ("Shelf-It" is one
> brand) installed on their F-series?
>
> Bruce Hanson
>
>
> -------------
>
> Bruce,
>
> I ordered an upholstered steel one from Cabela's and installed it in my
> '94 with no problem. I'm 6'1" and dropping the visors 3" or more is
> definitely noticeable, but you get used to it in time and the shelf is
very
> handy. My only complaint was that the shelf was not pre-drilled for
> mounting the small plastic locking notches that hold the ends of the
visors.
> Don't know if this is normal or if mine just escaped from the factory that
> way, but it was little trouble to drill the proper holes.
>
> Steve Dyer
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:52:21 -0400
From: joe delaurentis
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Some info/Help needed

Hello group,
I have just bought a 92 Ford Bronco with a 351,auto, 4"lift 33"s etc...
I mostly know my 67-72's fords but had to buy something newer with the
baby on the way...Anyway My power window in my tailgate is on its last
legs(window slows and hangs up halfway up and down)and need and pointers
in changing it???
thanks

- --
Joe
92 Bronco 351,Auto,4" lift 33"'s
68 F-100 4x4 390 c6- Np 205 Dana 44 with Disc Brakes,
Since Ford Didn't build em this way in 68, I'll make my own!


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:15:15 -0400
From: Paul
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Aftermarket truck body

Help...I saw the end of a recent TV car show where the fellow showed a
modified Ranger, I believe (might have been an S10?) with new body skins
glued on, among other things, to make the truck look totally different
but really nice.
The fellow is the skinny guy with the odd, pointed mustache.
The company was in Phoenix, Arizona.
Since all I saw was the end of the show, that's all I know!

Thanks, Paul Gayda
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:33:15 EDT
From: PSales264 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves

I have one in my 85 F250 and like it a lot. I didn't reinstall the visors
because the were weak and hung down. mine is a SHELF-IT and cost about 65.00
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:51:54 PDT
From: "ken haley"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Some info/Help needed

Joe,

You may not need to change anything. Sometimes just removing the motor,
giving it a good spray of penetrating oil, turning it over by hand, then a
good shot of WD-40 to wash out any corrosion loosened up is all an electric
motor needs. The heater fan on my son's '83 Bronco was frozen solid. Three
applications of Liquid Wrench over 45 minutes, 10 minutes of gently working
the shaft around, and WD-40, and it runs fine.

Be patient and gentle with the motor, they are quite expensive.

Ken



______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:58:47 -0500
From: "Steve Schmeckpeper"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Cracked Exhaust Manifolds

FWIW
Just replaced my Cowl/Hood Seal 'cause the old one was leaking water/rain on
the engine. I noticed steam coming from under the hood, while checking the
windshield for leaks, and looked to see where the steam was coming from.
Guess what? The exhaust manifolds were soaked! Then I remembered the thread
about cracked manifolds and am now wondering if some of these cracks were'nt
really caused by leaking seals??

Smeck 87 F150


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:10:36 -0500
From: "Dave Harmier"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: Oz Les, and flame throwing!

Les wrote:

>Warning : The following message has absolutely nothing to do with 460 vs
302
>mileage !!

>The tyre smoke is O.K. BUT I'm sure the manual will not approve of
breaking
>traction and smokin' the tyres.( Hey, I did spell it right, this
originates
>from Oz, we don't have 'tired' tyres, buggered yes, tired ? no.) Better
yet,
>install one of those fuel injector kits that dump a squirt of raw fuel
into the
>exhaust system, as you give it the big message. This is NOT an approved
Ford
>Kit, and modifying your exhaust system from stock could could render you
liable
>to prosecution under... Bla, Bla, You know the rest.... It is especially
>spectacular at night if you have side-pipes exiting just behind the side
steps
>!!! It really pisses the yuppies off because they are not quite sure if
they
>have sustained any body/paint damage, till they stop and look !!
...yeah,
>yeah, I know, Totally irresponsible, delinquent, unsociable bloody small
minded
>behaviour. Bla, Bla, Bla ...Yep...I'm havin' so much FUN.....

>Regards

.>Lost in the Land of OZ.

Les, you ozzies are a funny lot!!!

Serieously, a guy at "cruise night" has a 59 Chevy with Flame Throwers. It
drives the crowd nuts!
It would be AWFUL fun to do to tailgaters!!!! Now to do something about
the ones ahead of us......
Bazooka anyone?

Dave H.
Lost in Texas

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:41:28 -0400
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Lazy Heater Situation

Forward for Fred Moreno

Les Wrote;

....yeah, yeah, I know, Totally irresponsible, delinquent,
*nsociable bloody small minded behaviour. Bla, Bla, Bla

Hey, Les you forgot to mention ' ...propane powered Ford driver...'.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program;

Acquaintance shows up asking for help because his ratted out '83 (?) Ford
truck takes too long to warm up and overheats and/or boils over when sitting
at a light. This truck should be shot and buried because it has been so
abused by he and previous owners.

So I recommend he start by changing the thermostat, probably stuck, not
working right. That was over one week. Now this acquaintance (I am being
diplomatic and polite about this individual) says it does not overheat or
boil over sitting at a light or traffic any more, but it still takes forever
for the truck to build up enough heat to provide warmth. He claims he can
start the truck on a cold morning (around 36 degrees) and drive about 10 to
15 miles on the back roads before his heater starts to deliver heat. Once
his temperature gauge (factory in dash) shows warm/normal, his heater works
fine.
That's when I actually looked under his hood and checked out his radiator.
It was full, coolant looked like the right color - he's been adding
coolant/water mix everytime it boiled over so it should be clean.
Nothing odd about this truck except for the driver - ooops be nice Phred!
Well Phred is thinking of all the components and their function involving
the cooling/heating of this truck and not much is happening up stairs now.
Why is it happening that his truck takes forever to warm up in our cooler
mornings here in the El Paso area? Could the fins of the water pump be
deterioated where the pump has minimal effect in pushing the fluid through
the thermostat when it is open? Did he not install the thermostat correctly?
I asked and he showed me the Chilton he used (he RTFM! Atta boy Leroy!!)
and did just as the Chilton guru's said.
This aquaintance truck has no coolant leaks, seems to be tuned about right
(amazing for this guy), idles okay, radiator seems to have no crude buildup,
why am I working on this guys truck when my own needs attention, he's not
even family! Anybody need a freindly dog?

Thanks in advance guys.

Phred
La Union, New Mexico

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:40:56 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: 460 vs. 302 mileage

>The tyre smoke is O.K. BUT I'm sure the manual will not approve of breaking
>traction and smokin' the tyres.( Hey, I did spell it right, this originates
>from Oz, we don't have 'tired' tyres, buggered yes, tired ? no.) Better yet,
>install one of those fuel injector kits that dump a squirt of raw fuel
>into the
>exhaust system, as you give it the big message. This is NOT an approved Ford
>Kit, and modifying your exhaust system from stock could could render you
>liable
>to prosecution under... Bla, Bla, You know the rest.... It is especially
>spectacular at night if you have side-pipes exiting just behind the side steps
>!!! It really pisses the yuppies off because they are not quite sure if they
>have sustained any body/paint damage, till they stop and look !! ....yeah,
>yeah, I know, Totally irresponsible, delinquent, unsociable bloody small
>minded
>behaviour. Bla, Bla, Bla ...Yep...I'm havin' so much FUN.....

Drill and tap a hole into the side of your exhaust pipe just in from the
exit and thread a spark plug in. Hook it to a Model T coil that is wired to
a switch inside. With a carbureted engine, you could leave it in gear and
shut the ignition off so the gasoline vapors would collect in the exhaust.
Hit the coil button and WAMMM! it throughs a nice flame out the back.
Probably wouldn't work with a cat converter either. Oh well, technology
takes the fun out.


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/oilwell
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."
"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject...."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:56:32 EDT
From: craig n eggerman
Subject: : FTE 80-96 - RE: 460 vs. 302 mileage

Gas mileage is a function of the dry vehicle weight and the load it
carries and or pulls or gross vehicle weight GVWR. From an RV buyers
guide publication I have clipped a table that shows the mileage vs
weight.

Total Weight Gas Mileage Diesel Mileage
20000+ 5-8 5-10
15000-19000 6-8 8-11
12000-14000 7-9 10-13
9000-11000 8-11 12-15
6000-8000 12-15 16-20
3000-5000 20+ 25+

I have an 11000 lb E-350 with a 460 that gets about 10 mpg, but put a
4000 lbs toad behind it and it drops to 6-8 mpg.

Speed and engine RPM play a big part also. I drive about 60 and stay on
the upper end of the mileage curve. If I had a second gear box I might be
able to push 70 and still stay in the high end of the mileage curve.
Optimum torque on the 460 is around 2100 rpm. The smaller v-8s reach
optimum torque at around 2800-3000 rpm.

Craig
Eggerman juno.com
Casper,Wyoming
O|||||O

___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:12:07 -0700
From: Bob Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Lazy Heater Situation

Check the heater hoses after the truck has idled for about 5 min, they should be
as hot as the radiator hose. Both hoses hot will mean you are getting through
the heater core, one hooter than the other, you've got a blocked path.


Bob


Ken Payne wrote:

> Forward for Fred Moreno
>
> Les Wrote;
>
> ....yeah, yeah, I know, Totally irresponsible, delinquent,
> *nsociable bloody small minded behaviour. Bla, Bla, Bla
>
> Hey, Les you forgot to mention ' ...propane powered Ford driver...'.
>
> And now back to our regularly scheduled program;
>
> Acquaintance shows up asking for help because his ratted out '83 (?) Ford
> truck takes too long to warm up and overheats and/or boils over when sitting
> at a light. This truck should be shot and buried because it has been so
> abused by he and previous owners.
>
> So I recommend he start by changing the thermostat, probably stuck, not
> working right. That was over one week. Now this acquaintance (I am being
> diplomatic and polite about this individual) says it does not overheat or
> boil over sitting at a light or traffic any more, but it still takes forever
> for the truck to build up enough heat to provide warmth. He claims he can
> start the truck on a cold morning (around 36 degrees) and drive about 10 to
> 15 miles on the back roads before his heater starts to deliver heat. Once
> his temperature gauge (factory in dash) shows warm/normal, his heater works
> fine.
> That's when I actually looked under his hood and checked out his radiator.
> It was full, coolant looked like the right color - he's been adding
> coolant/water mix everytime it boiled over so it should be clean.
> Nothing odd about this truck except for the driver - ooops be nice Phred!
> Well Phred is thinking of all the components and their function involving
> the cooling/heating of this truck and not much is happening up stairs now.
> Why is it happening that his truck takes forever to warm up in our cooler
> mornings here in the El Paso area? Could the fins of the water pump be
> deterioated where the pump has minimal effect in pushing the fluid through
> the thermostat when it is open? Did he not install the thermostat correctly?
> I asked and he showed me the Chilton he used (he RTFM! Atta boy Leroy!!)
> and did just as the Chilton guru's said.
> This aquaintance truck has no coolant leaks, seems to be tuned about right
> (amazing for this guy), idles okay, radiator seems to have no crude buildup,
> why am I working on this guys truck when my own needs attention, he's not
> even family! Anybody need a freindly dog?
>
> Thanks in advance guys.
>
> Phred
> La Union, New Mexico
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:29:33 -0500
From: "Joel Thomas"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - towing help

I have a 1984 F-150 4x4 with 33" tires.
my question is are the frames on 1/2 ton through 1 ton trucks that different
I am considering putting the 10.25in rear end in my truck with the dual
wheels
and then adding the dually bedsides to add towing capability to my truck.
will it bolt up and will it help, will the 1-ton springs bolt on good. Is
the 1/2 ton
frame pleanty strong for towing a 3horse trailer and firewood and also
towing the occasional "Bobcat" bulldozer with an electric braked trailer??
I know of a lot of 80's F-250 's with 351W and t-18 trannies like mine so
are they that different in power capability? And would a short wheelbase rig
with dually wheels look okay or just very stupid??

Also my braking is very vague.
And rather than looking into rebuilding my 1/2ton brakes
is there an upgrade to a lot more heavier duty brakes??
that can brake a lot bigger and heavier load more efficiently??


thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully help me.

Joel Thomas
Little Rock,AR

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:40:32 -0500
From: "Steve Dyer"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves

Steve
Did you find it in a catalog, web page, or what? How much was it?
Ed



I ordered it from Cabela's, 800-237-4444, www.cabelas.com, and it was on
sale for $49 at the time. Don't have a catalog in front of me but they may
still offer these shelves. I've also seen them in local truck accessory
shops for about the same price.

Steve


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:46:16 -0400
From: "Michael R. Dunbar"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Oil Pressure and Temperature Gauges

Hi, my name is Mike. I'm rather new to the list. Recently, I bought my
first car, err, truck. Just so happens that it's an '89, F-150 XLT Lariat,
std cab, full size bed, 2 wheel drive with an I-6 under the hood. I picked
it up fairly cheap from a family member in Richmond, Virginia. Aside from
some very minor surface rust here and there, it's in great condition. I have
plans within the next year to fix the any typical dings, scratches and such,
and repaint it hopefully by July. So, for now, it gets me from point A to B
while I do minor modifications and tweaks between classes.

I believe the two of the issues I'm facing have been posted before, however
I haven't been able to find the responses.

A) The oil pressure guage shows very low pressure (if any). I know the pump
isn't bad, as it was replaced shortly before I purchased the truck, and
because I had to drive it up from Virginia. The engine runs great (even
with 155,000 miles), so I figure if I had low pressure, I wouldn't have
gotten as far as I did.

B) The temperature guage is fairly low. I'm not sure if it is working at
all, or if it is simply due to the semi-cold temperatures we've been
experiencing here in Vermont.

Any insight on the matters would be greatly appreciated. Although it's my
first truck, I'm not entirely worthless when it comes to under-the-hood
work, all I need is some help to get pointed in the right direction. And
I'll ask for forgivance early if I ask multiple questions that would/should
be common knowledge. As for an owner's manual, I don't have one, as it
apparently walked away from the previous owner. As for a repair book, I'm in
the middle of no-where, and the only nearby bookstores or auto stores don't
have a book in stock. As I said, I'm kinda new to this, but I'm not entirely
helpless, any help would be great. Thanks.


Michael R. Dunbar
Technical Director, WVTC 90.7 FM
Vermont Technical College
Randolph Center, VT 05061

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:48:13 -0400
From: Rich
Subject: FTE 80-96 - re: Engine noise and Trans

I have jusr recently acquired my 96 f150. After running 5w30 for
about a week, I noticed that the 302 sounds like diesel sound. I thought
maybe the oil was to thin, so now i put 10w30 in it. It still sounds a
little funny to me, it could just be my hearing though. I am comparing
it to the sound of my 97 with the 4.2 v-6, that's probably why....2
totally different engines. Also, any tips for changing the fluid on my
4r70w?????
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:54:19 -0700
From: Bob Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves

Performance Corner lists them in their catalog, 1999/2000 Fall/Winter. page 69
They list both a console $79.99 and an Overhead Shelf $59.99

Part numbers are by color,

try http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.performancecorner.com


Bob


Steve Dyer wrote:

> Steve
> Did you find it in a catalog, web page, or what? How much was it?
> Ed
>
> I ordered it from Cabela's, 800-237-4444, www.cabelas.com, and it was on
> sale for $49 at the time. Don't have a catalog in front of me but they may
> still offer these shelves. I've also seen them in local truck accessory
> shops for about the same price.
>
> Steve
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:08:20 EDT
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - re: Engine noise and Trans

In a message dated 10/26/99 11:00:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rdtect snet.net writes:


4R70W????? >>
If you do it yourself, put a synthetic additive in. These transmissions like
the additive and it will help the tranny last longer, by keeping down the
slippage and temps.
Later
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside SC

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:04:57 EDT
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - above-windshield shelves

Look in either Sport Truck or Truckin Magazines. They have these listed in
ads in there all the time. I am out to buy my months mags....will post the ....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.