From: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com (80-96-list-digest)
To: 80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list-digest V3 #295
Reply-To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


80-96-list-digest Thursday, October 21 1999 Volume 03 : Number 295



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - FTE 80-96- loose steering
FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250
Re: FTE 80-96 - FTE 80-96- loose steering
RE: FTE 80-96 - FTE 80-96- loose steering
FTE 80-96 - Air Bypass
FTE 80-96 - I6-300 stuff
FTE 80-96 - Re: 93, 460 F-350 vs 94 F-250 turb diesel
Re: FTE 80-96 - I6-300 stuff
Re: FTE 80-96 - Engine Thermostats
Re: FTE 80-96 - Any Suggestions???
Re: FTE 80-96 - I6-300 stuff
FTE 80-96 - Motor oil and additives (was: Engine Thermostats)
FTE 80-96 - Is it OK to talk oil here? List moderator please....
Re: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250
Re: FTE 80-96 - Motor oil and additives (was: Engine Thermostats)
Re: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250
FTE 80-96 - Exhaust Manifolds
Re: FTE 80-96 - 93, 460 F-350 vs 94 F-250 turb diesel
Re: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250
Re: FTE 80-96 - 93, 460 F-350 vs 94 F-250 turb diesel
FTE 80-96 - 300-6 Stumbling on Starting-Solved!
Re: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250
FTE 80-96 - O2 heater wire tracing?
FTE 80-96 - TTB
Re: FTE 80-96 - I6-300 stuff

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 05:26:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tracy Stover
Subject: FTE 80-96 - FTE 80-96- loose steering

I have a 95 F150 4X4. The steering seems to have
excess playing in it. I took it to a garage, & they
couldn't help at all, so I then took it too a Ford
dealer who told me the steering box had some worn
gears in it, & that it was very expensive to repair.
His suggestion was to leave it alone, it was better
than some others he had seen. Has anyone else
experienced this excessive play, & if so, how did you
repair it? I have more questions, but I'll start with
that one!

Thanks!
Tracy Stover
pa_f150 yahoo.com


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:10:46 -0400
From: James Oxley
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250

Hey all

I drove another truck last night. It' a 95, F-250, 4 X 4, ext cab with
460 with 60K miles. Loaded except carpet delete. Asking 15,200$. This
seems really cheap to me. I didn't want TTB, but it did not wander
nearly as much as my friends 91, possibly because it has stock tires and
his has 33's. I really did not want ext cab either and it's bright red,
which I hate, but the price seems good enough and it seems in pretty
good shape except for interior panels are loose. So what do you guys
think about this price. NADA retial is 17,450. I have been having a hard
time even finding another truck to compare the price. they all seem to
have 5.8's or diesels.

OX
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:16:51 -0400
From: James Oxley
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - FTE 80-96- loose steering

Tracy Stover wrote:
>
> I have a 95 F150 4X4. The steering seems to have
> excess playing in it. I took it to a garage, & they
> couldn't help at all, so I then took it too a Ford
> dealer who told me the steering box had some worn
> gears in it, & that it was very expensive to repair.
> His suggestion was to leave it alone, it was better
> than some others he had seen. Has anyone else
> experienced this excessive play, & if so, how did you
> repair it? I have more questions, but I'll start with
> that one!
>

There is an adjustment on the top of the steering box. Sometimes you
can tighten this up a little to take out excessive wear. You have to be
carefull with this, as it is easy to overtighten it and cause it to
bind. I would also have an alignment done/checked. This can cause
wandering in certain conditions.

I would also check out the truck myself. Have someone turn the
steering wheel back and forth and you watch all the steering components.
If they are loose, you will see the play in them. jack of each front
tire and grab it on top and on bottom. Rotate up and down, this will
check for ball joint or front bearing wear. It should have just a hint
of play in the front bearings. I would not ASSUME Ford or anyone else
did all this.

I also seem to remember on 95 Broncos (same front susp), that the
passeneger side radius arm bushing goes frequently due to the heat of
the cat. conv being right near this. Might want to chek this also.

OX
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:23:22 -0400
From: "Kevin Reed"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - FTE 80-96- loose steering

The steering box in my truck was extremely loose before I blew the seal on
it. I bought another box from the wrecker for $75. The seal was good, but
the box still had play in it, but not half as much play, so I was happy.

The moral of the story: They will eventually all get worn. If they didn't,
then FORD would make no money! Don't fix it until you have drivability
problems. ie. You can't keep the truck driving in the direction that you
want it! (That's where mine was!) If you buy another one ($300+ rebuilt)
it will eventually end up doing the same thing.

Hope this helps

Kevin Reed
86 F150

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Tracy Stover
> Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 1999 8:27 AM
> To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE 80-96 - FTE 80-96- loose steering
>
>
> I have a 95 F150 4X4. The steering seems to have
> excess playing in it. I took it to a garage, & they
> couldn't help at all, so I then took it too a Ford
> dealer who told me the steering box had some worn
> gears in it, & that it was very expensive to repair.
> His suggestion was to leave it alone, it was better
> than some others he had seen. Has anyone else
> experienced this excessive play, & if so, how did you
> repair it? I have more questions, but I'll start with
> that one!
>
> Thanks!
> Tracy Stover
> pa_f150 yahoo.com
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:54:57 -0500
From: "PHILLIP P. GUIDRY"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Air Bypass

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:18:39 -0500
From: Allen Stearns
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Any Suggestions???

I have a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with. My 89
Aerostar 3 liter has 12V applied at all times to the IAC Valve and it
won't start when cold due to the air bypassing the butterfly. From all
I have read in manuals it should be less than one volt until after the
engine starts. I opened the signal wire at the IAC and put a toggle
switch in line with it. I now turn the switch off, it starts normally,
and then I turn the switch on and leave it on. This works o.k. but I
would like to find out what controls the IAC valve and why there is 12V
on it all the time (even when the switch is on, before starting). Can
anyone offer any suggestions?
Thanks!!!
Al Stearns
alpau bellsouth.net


One of 2 things could be wrong here; [1] the driver in the computer is
gone full scale,or,[2] the wire is fused to another wire that does carry
12v with the switch on. If you have another FORD available,double check
voltages to verify the condition. Otherwise,maybe the voltage drops
after you start the engine, because if it didn't,wouldn't it idle real
fast because of the extra air being introduced? Most cold start problems
can be eliminated by changing the coolant temp sensor{not sender}.This
will enrich the fuel for cold start.
phillip.guidry
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:01:37 -0500
From: "PHILLIP P. GUIDRY"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - I6-300 stuff

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 06:47:58 EDT
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - I6-300 stuff

In a message dated 10/19/99 1:56:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
persell home.com writes:

>
It seems lately I have a differing opinion to a quite a few posts. Again
I
disagree. While I do not know much about the I-6 motors, I can tell you
that
MOST of the V-8 Ford motors favor a cooler than stock Tstat. The stock
Tstat
runs at 195-210 depending on the model year, application, and motor
size.
Most of the Ford V-8's will run much better and cooler with the 180
degree
Tstat. Although, any temp below this will keep the EEC computers in
their
start up "closed loop" modes.
My.02
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside SC

>
>
Just to clarify about "closed loop". Start up modes are known as "open
loop" because the O2 sensor is being ignored by the processor and is
running on set values. Only after the O2 sensor is hot enough,and,the
coolant hot enough,will the processor monitor the O2 which is "closed
loop". It can be confusing sometimes.
phillip.guidry
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:05:40 -0700
From: Vogt
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: 93, 460 F-350 vs 94 F-250 turb diesel

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, James Oxley wrote:
>
> I've been a member of the 61-79 truck and Big Bronco lists forever> I
> have 4-78/79 Broncos and a 79 F-350. I am considering purchasing a newer
> pickup. These are my two choices so far.
>
>
> First one was a 93, F-350 XLT with 460. Std cab, loaded with 95K.
> Asking 11,900$.
>
> Second was a 94, F-250 XLT with turbo diesel. Std cab, Loaded with
> 68K. Asking 15,475$
>
> Since I don't know anything about diesels and it's quite a bit more,
> I'm leaning towards the F-350. I'm also assuming the F-250 has TTB
> front?? How are diesels in the winter?? I know I won't be happy having
> to plug it in every night. I'm sure the diesel would get about twice the
> milage over the 460, any comments there? Was the 460 EFI in 93??

As a highly satisfied diesel owner, I would advise you to buy it.
However, I have the old 6.9. I assume you mean it is the Powerstroke,
since in '94 a few trucks got a turbo old-style 7.3. It wasn't bad,
either. I've had my 6.9 sit for a few days down to about 0 deg F and it
always started right up. If it is a Powerstroke it should start even
easier due to the direct injection. It's all a matter of where you
live. Give Steve Best a call. He lives in Nova Scotia and could
probably tell you more about cold and diesels.
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.glinx.com/~sbest/

Have fun,
Birken
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:14:20 EDT
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - I6-300 stuff

Thanks for clearing up the closed/open loop issue, I get them mixed up. And
Mike I will still disagree on the Tstat issue. I have an almost 300 HP to the
rear wheels 5.0 in my truck and trust me...I runs a LOT better with the 180,
better than it ever did with the 195.
Later
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside SC
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:43:43 -0500
From: "Ed Mount"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Engine Thermostats

Mike,
I want to thank you for your post. I have always wanted to talk to an oil
test engineer, it is one of my main concerns for maintenance. Can you give
any insights from your lab experience regarding such things as the value
trade-offs of synthetic vs. natural oils, the real story behind oil
longevity in an engine, additives, etc?

If this is considered an off-list topic, or no one else is interested, I
would love to hear from you privately. Hope you don't mind sharing some of
your knowledge on this subject, I have always been interested but never knew
how or where to get impartial viewpoints.

tia,
Ed

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Persell
To:
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 1999 9:39 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Engine Thermostats


> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 06:47:58 EDT, FLR150 aol.com wrote:
> >It seems lately I have a differing opinion to a quite a few posts.

> In every test I ran while working in oil company test labs, we found that
engines would


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:15:06 -0700
From: Mark Ponsford
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Any Suggestions???

>I have a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with. My 89
>Aerostar 3 liter has 12V applied at all times to the IAC Valve and it
>won't start when cold due to the air bypassing the butterfly. From all
>I have read in manuals it should be less than one volt until after the
>engine starts. I opened the signal wire at the IAC and put a toggle
>switch in line with it. I now turn the switch off, it starts normally,
>and then I turn the switch on and leave it on. This works o.k. but I
>would like to find out what controls the IAC valve and why there is 12V
>on it all the time (even when the switch is on, before starting). Can
>anyone offer any suggestions?
>Thanks!!!
>Al Stearns
>alpau bellsouth.net
>
I'm not familiar with the Aerostar's electronics but it is more than likely
that having 12VDC sitting on the IAC valve at all times is normal. Most
computer control systems turn something on by shorting a wire to ground.

Measure the voltage on both sides of the solenoid. If both sides are 12VDC,
then the solenoid is not activated.

Mark


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:47:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Mike Persell"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - I6-300 stuff

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:14:20 EDT, FLR150 aol.com wrote:

>Mike I will still disagree on the Tstat issue. I have an almost 300 HP to the
>rear wheels 5.0 in my truck and trust me...I runs a LOT better with the 180,
>better than it ever did with the 195.

Engines are not an exact science....we all have the knuckles to prove it!

Mike

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:47:12 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Motor oil and additives (was: Engine Thermostats)

>Mike,
>I want to thank you for your post. I have always wanted to talk to an oil
>test engineer, it is one of my main concerns for maintenance. Can you give
>any insights from your lab experience regarding such things as the value
>trade-offs of synthetic vs. natural oils, the real story behind oil
>longevity in an engine, additives, etc?
>
>If this is considered an off-list topic, or no one else is interested, I
>would love to hear from you privately. Hope you don't mind sharing some of
>your knowledge on this subject, I have always been interested but never knew
>how or where to get impartial viewpoints.
>

My education is in Petroleum Technology, but I know more about exploration
and production than I do about motor oils. I do always try to stick to
Appalachian crude oil based motor oils as they are parafin based, rather
than ashphaltic based - always considered better. These include petroleum
produced in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, and New York.

When I buy motor oil I usually get 15W-40 with at least an SF-CD rating.
This oil is designed for heavy duty diesel and gasoline use and is about
the best you can get.

A company by me called Lubrizol is the leading manufacturer and developer
of additives for motor oil and other fluids. Their site is at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lubrizol.com/ . They may have a technical department that can be
reached by email. Their additives are sold to oil refining companies
worldwide.

OK... HERE IS THE SPOT YOU WANT TO SEE
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lubrizol.com/referencelibrary/lubtheory/index.htm


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/oilwell
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."
"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject...."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:51:25 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Mike Persell"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Is it OK to talk oil here? List moderator please....

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:43:43 -0500, Ed Mount wrote:
>Mike,
>I want to thank you for your post. I have always wanted to talk to an oil
>test engineer, it is one of my main concerns for maintenance. Can you give
>any insights from your lab experience regarding such things as the value
>trade-offs of synthetic vs. natural oils, the real story behind oil
>longevity in an engine, additives, etc?

There were so many variables that I quit to a simpler business...I now am a software
engineer at IBM.

I can pick a few variables, like longevity and synthetic vs conventional and dribble out
some info if the list moderator will allow it.

Mike

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:22:50 EDT
From: PSales264 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250

Once you've had an ext.cab you'll never go back!
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:45:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Mike Persell"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Motor oil and additives (was: Engine Thermostats)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:47:12 -0500, Blake Malkamaki wrote:
>My education is in Petroleum Technology, but I know more about exploration
>and production than I do about motor oils. I do always try to stick to
>Appalachian crude oil based motor oils as they are parafin based, rather
>than ashphaltic based - always considered better. These include petroleum
>produced in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, and New York.

Mid-Continent crudes are a little better grade if you know how to refine them. Sun does
the best job of vacuum distillation and solvent refining with the parafin based crudes.
When you have a parafin based vacuum distilled and solvent refined base stock the
Lubrizol additive packages can really show their benefits. A good parafin based oil that
is in the mass market is Shell Rotella T 15w-40. A little high on the ash for newer, small 4
cyl engines but our Ford V-8s love it. It is one oil you can run in both a diesel and a gas
engine and get great benfits for both. A little higher grade of the same formula used to
be available as Mystik JT-8 from Cato Oil and Grease. I don't know if they're still
around.

Without a doubt Lubrizol makes the best additive packages available, if you buy the
good ones and put them in a good base stock. A couple of drops of sulphuric acid can
tell you a lot about a sample of oil. You will literally see the asphalt and tar stick to the
sides of the sample container.

When Blake and I talk additives we aren't talking Duralube or Slick 50. We are talking
the package that goes in the batch when you make the product (refine). Motor oil is
quite likely the most highly engineered fluid available. When you add something
foreign to it you don't know how you've altered the balance of the formula. Your engine
is rough enough on the oil, it doesn't need any help. Chances are if you see an
improvement by adding an aftermarket fluid you are only making up for a deficiency in
the oil or base stock or you helping for a mechanical deficiency. (Except for Blakes bar
oil! )

Engines are designed to depend on the oil for far more than just being slippery. The oil
has to do 40% of the cooling, 20% of the sealing around the rings, enhance the bearing
surfaces by filling gaps and carry contamination to the filter(s). It can only do these with
a good foundation and regular replacement.

Mike

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:40:29 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250

>Hey all
>
> I drove another truck last night. It' a 95, F-250, 4 X 4, ext cab with
>460 with 60K miles. Loaded except carpet delete. Asking 15,200$. This
>seems really cheap to me. I didn't want TTB, but it did not wander
>nearly as much as my friends 91, possibly because it has stock tires and
>his has 33's. I really did not want ext cab either and it's bright red,
>which I hate, but the price seems good enough and it seems in pretty
>good shape except for interior panels are loose. So what do you guys
>think about this price. NADA retial is 17,450. I have been having a hard
>time even finding another truck to compare the price. they all seem to
>have 5.8's or diesels.
>

What is the NADA trade in price? Generally you should expect to pay
somewhere between trade in and dealer resale price. Toward one or the other
depending on condition.


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/oilwell
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."
"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject...."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:03:31 PDT
From: 2insane excite.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Exhaust Manifolds

For all you with cracked exhuast manifolds(me included). Take a look here
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=179691564. quite the
deal.




________________________________________________________________
Get FREE voicemail, fax and email at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://voicemail.excite.com
Talk online at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://voicechat.excite.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 21:05:03 -0400
From: "Mike Jordan"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 93, 460 F-350 vs 94 F-250 turb diesel

I own a 97 F-250 with the 460. I was going to purchase a 96 F-350 with the
powerstroke diesel. After doing alot of research and a long test drive ( one
week with each truck from the dealership) I chose the gas.
The diesel was a great truck but just didn't fit for me. I drive to work
everyday 45 miles each way and tow a 6000 lbs boat all summer on the
weekends. The diesel got better mileage. 16-18 mpg for my daily commute, the
460 is getting 12- 12.5 mpg. But with the gas I just get in and drive, when
I get there I just shut down. The diesel was alittle more work than that.
The turbo needs alittle cool down idle time (3 - 4 mins) after an extended
highway drive ( 30 mins or so). I also live in Michigan and didn't want to
deal with any special care in the winter. Both pulled my boat great, But in
the end gas was for me.

Thanks for reading my experiences.

Mike J.
- ----- Original Message -----
From: James Oxley
To:
Sent: Monday, October 18, 1999 2:07 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 93, 460 F-350 vs 94 F-250 turb diesel


> Hi all
>
> I've been a member of the 61-79 truck and Big Bronco lists forever> I
> have 4-78/79 Broncos and a 79 F-350. I am considering purchasing a newer
> pickup. These are my two choices so far.
>
>
> First one was a 93, F-350 XLT with 460. Std cab, loaded with 95K.
> Asking 11,900$.
>
> Second was a 94, F-250 XLT with turbo diesel. Std cab, Loaded with
> 68K. Asking 15,475$
>
> Since I don't know anything about diesels and it's quite a bit more,
> I'm leaning towards the F-350. I'm also assuming the F-250 has TTB
> front?? How are diesels in the winter?? I know I won't be happy having
> to plug it in every night. I'm sure the diesel would get about twice the
> milage over the 460, any comments there? Was the 460 EFI in 93??
>
> Thanks
>
> OX
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 21:13:48 -0400
From: "Mike Jordan"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250

Seems to be a good price and the door panels are easy. I replaced the
speakers in my 97 and had the same problem. but I bought the little plastic
pieces that hold the door panel to the door. This fixed the problem and only
cost a total of $3.80 from the dealer.

I love my 460 , lots of power and a quiet ride.
- ----- Original Message -----
From: James Oxley
To:
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 1999 9:10 AM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250


> Hey all
>
> I drove another truck last night. It' a 95, F-250, 4 X 4, ext cab with
> 460 with 60K miles. Loaded except carpet delete. Asking 15,200$. This
> seems really cheap to me. I didn't want TTB, but it did not wander
> nearly as much as my friends 91, possibly because it has stock tires and
> his has 33's. I really did not want ext cab either and it's bright red,
> which I hate, but the price seems good enough and it seems in pretty
> good shape except for interior panels are loose. So what do you guys
> think about this price. NADA retial is 17,450. I have been having a hard
> time even finding another truck to compare the price. they all seem to
> have 5.8's or diesels.
>
> OX
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:26:14 -0700
From: "BIGDOG"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 93, 460 F-350 vs 94 F-250 turb diesel

> I own a 97 F-250 with the 460. I was going to purchase a 96 F-350 with the
> powerstroke diesel. After doing alot of research and a long test drive
one
> week with each truck from the dealership) I chose the gas.
> The diesel was a great truck but just didn't fit for me. I drive to work
> everyday 45 miles each way and tow a 6000 lbs boat all summer on the
> weekends. The diesel got better mileage. 16-18 mpg for my daily commute,
the
> 460 is getting 12- 12.5 mpg. But with the gas I just get in and drive,
when
> I get there I just shut down.


My father put a timer on his Peterbuilt for this. You turned the timer on
(he used an ordinary bathroom fan type) and took the key out, locked it up
and went inside (or climbed in the back and went to sleep). It couldn't be
started w/out the keay as this was in the "on" circuit. Newer trucks may
even have this as optional.

Just my $.02 worth

Dave

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:25:00 -0500
From: "DannyF"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 300-6 Stumbling on Starting-Solved!

Just thought I'd pass it on:

Have a '90 F150 w/the 300-6(80K mi.) that gradually over time
would start rough. This was only on cold starts(summer or winter).It
would start fine but run rough and most of the time would smooth
out. Sometimes it would die but a 2nd start would always be OK.

Its *supposed* to start then go into a high idle for ~20 secs and
settle down to a normal idle.

After checking a bunch of things I gritted my teeth and sprung for a
new IAC from NAPA. $55 down the drain - no change. This was
after I disconnected the solenoid from the IAC and cleaned it by
soaking in diluted muriatic acid. That cleaned it good after trying
carb solvents and laquer thinner. Those 2 agents didn't budge the
crap stuck on the pintle.

Anyway, while checking the EGR I found I was getting no vacuum
to it. Back tracking, there it was. A plain old vacuum leak. One of
the ports on EGR controller was broken off in the vacuum hose.
Being a tightwad, I expoxied it back together and carefully put the
vac hose back on. 8 - 9 in of vac to EGR now at 2000 rpms right at
spec.

Also found the EGR wasn't opening at all. Diaphram was holding
vac OK but the EVP(EGR valve position sensor) was telling me it
wasn't moving and also getting code 33. Took off the EGR and
found its stuck shut. Forced the valve open w/a punch and cleaned
out the port/seat w/a very fine pointed sander on a Dremel. Lubed
the seat w/Krylox(a very high temp grease) and reinstalled. But the
EGR problem in no way affected my stumbling on startup(unless
the EGR valve wasn't completely sealing and allowing a small
amount of exhaust in the intake all the time). Possible.

No more code 33 and the EGR works freely now.

Just FYI,


Danny
danf01 worldnet.att.net
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:10:30 -0400
From: "Theodore D. Mills"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250

>I love my 460 , lots of power and a quiet ride.

I just got a 91 F250 4X4 supercab, longbed a couple of weeks ago.

Except for the 10MPG or so that it gets, I love it!

Considering that I came from an 85 Ranger, BIG difference!

Sitting in my driveway next to the Ranger, the '250 looks about 3 times the
size.
Parking it at the mall is kinda like berthing the Queen Mary....

That 460 tows my camper like it's not even there. 65 MPH uphill in
overdrive vs 45 screaming in second with the 2.8 Ranger!

Like my brother said when he saw it...

"There's no replacement for displacement"

I only wish I'd had a big block before now. I thought my 302 Mustange and
351M LTD had some power....

If you can afford to feed it, go big block.
Although.... there's something really macho about that honkin' noisy
diesel.....


Ted
84 Mustang GT (in pieces)
85 Ranger 2WD 2.8L
91 F250 4X4X460
94 Taurus LX wagon 3.8L


>From: James Oxley
>To:
>Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 1999 9:10 AM
>Subject: FTE 80-96 - 95, F-250
>
>
>> Hey all
>>
>> I drove another truck last night. It' a 95, F-250, 4 X 4, ext cab with
>> 460 with 60K miles. Loaded except carpet delete. Asking 15,200$. This
>> seems really cheap to me. I didn't want TTB, but it did not wander
>> nearly as much as my friends 91, possibly because it has stock tires and
>> his has 33's. I really did not want ext cab either and it's bright red,
>> which I hate, but the price seems good enough and it seems in pretty
>> good shape except for interior panels are loose. So what do you guys
>> think about this price. NADA retial is 17,450. I have been having a hard
>> time even finding another truck to compare the price. they all seem to
>> have 5.8's or diesels.
>>
>> OX
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>
"This message brought to you with 100% recycled electrons"
"Just the latest in environmentally friendly technology!"


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:31:32 -0500
From: "DannyF"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - O2 heater wire tracing?

Talking about a '90 F-150, 300-6 w/E4OD.

Found I'm not getting any power to the heater for the O2. Anyone
ever trace this down? According to Haynes its gets power from the
directional signal flasher but the trans is involved in the circuit also.

Hints, clues, advice?
Danny
danf01 worldnet.att.net
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:06:15 -0700
From: "J.S.H."
Subject: FTE 80-96 - TTB

Hi,
>I would agree with Blake on the solid front axle however only if

>You do serious off road.
>You do a lot of snow plowing.

I would like to add

Carry a large cab-over camper.
Extra wieght on front end changes camber and eats the front tires,
unless you get aligned with camper on.Then it eats the tires with camper....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.