From: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com (80-96-list-digest)
To: 80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list-digest V3 #209
Reply-To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


80-96-list-digest Tuesday, July 27 1999 Volume 03 : Number 209



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - Dammit! It happened again!
RE: FTE 80-96 - New exhaust
FTE 80-96 - Drivers Side Radius Arm Bushing Changed
Re: FTE 80-96 - Exhaust system
Re: FTE 80-96 - Dammit! It happened again!
Re: FTE 80-96 - where is that module ?
FTE 80-96 - Gibson Exhaust Seen on "Trucks"
Re: FTE 80-96 - New exhaust
FTE 80-96 - Reprogramming my speedo for larger tires
FTE 80-96 - Erratic idle and poor fuel economy
FTE 80-96 - Re: My wife's coffee killed my stero!!
FTE 80-96 - New Paint Job
FTE 80-96 - Power Steering Leak
Re: FTE 80-96 - New Paint Job
Re: FTE 80-96 - Power Steering Leak
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: 1988 Bronco Restoration Body Panel Sources?
FTE 80-96 - Thanks everyone!
Re: [Re: FTE 80-96 - New exhaust]
FTE 80-96 - A/C problem
FTE 80-96 - A/C
Re: FTE 80-96 - R134 AC Scam
Re: FTE 80-96 - Bosch Platinum +4 plugs
Re: FTE 80-96 - Ball Joint Removal
Re: FTE 80-96 - A/C
Re: FTE 80-96 - 82 F100 Bed
FTE 80-96 - (no subject)
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: 1988 Bronco Restoration Body Panel Sources?
Re: FTE 80-96 - Power Steering Leak
RE: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)
Re: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)
Re: FTE 80-96 - Erratic idle and poor fuel economy
Re: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)
Re: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)
Re: FTE 80-96 - Mileage/power
Re: FTE 80-96 - Erratic idle and poor fuel economy
Re: FTE 80-96 - Gibson Exhaust Seen on "Trucks"
Re: FTE 80-96 - Mileage/power
Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: My wife's coffee killed my stero!!
Re: [Re: FTE 80-96 - New exhaust]

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 06:03:39 -0700
From: "Josh"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Dammit! It happened again!

Ya what he said...

+AD4-I Didn't get the whole list again. I thought that had been resolved.
+AD4-AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH+ACEAIQAhACEAIQAh-



Josh
berelson+AEA-gte.net
Edmonds, WA



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 07:30:49 -0700
From: "McMahon, Todd R."
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - New exhaust

If you take a REAL - CLOSE look at the pictures and the advertisement
text, you will notice that it is simple a set of air baffles which are
supposed to force the air (as it is being drawn in to the throttle body)
into a tornado-like rotating mass of turbulence. The problem is this,
simply placing this air baffle into the air stream might mix the air up a
bit, but it can't increase the volume of air being drawn in. If anything,
it should offer more resistance to the incoming air, thereby reducing the
air volume as a whole.

Do the K&N filter, remove any air obstructions (bernoulli effects tubes,
corrigated air intake hoses), and insure that the air-intake duct is not
covered up by anything. I would also suggest getting a set of headers as
well.

Good luck!

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Joey Deckard [mailto:deck1 mounet.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 1999 10:08 PM
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - New exhaust

I had a Flowmaster cat-back system installed on my 86 F-150
(351 4-V, auto,
4x4) installed couple of weeks back. I had the one muffler,
two tailpipe
set up to start with and that is what I had installed.
Before Flowmaster:
9.6 mpg, After Flowmaster: 11.5 mpg. This is after four
tanks of gas,
all combined city and hwy driving. I have a few more things
that I want to
do to help improve mpg, K&N filter, Jacobs electronic
ignition set up,
synthetic engine/tranny oil, carb re-build etc. Would like
to be able to
get it up to around 15mpg. Saw an ad in a JC Whitney
catalog the other day
for a product called, I believe, a Tornado. It mounts
inside you air
ductwork and supposedly forces more air in, thereby
improving mpg, the
price was something like $69. Anyone ever heard of it, or
tried it? Would
also be interested in any ideas on improving mpg. For now
the F-150 is my
daily driver and I have about a 40 mile commute daily.
Suggestions/comments greatly appreciated.


Joey Deckard
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:03:31 -0500
From: "Justen Noakes"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Drivers Side Radius Arm Bushing Changed

Fellow Fordsters,

Me and a buddy replaced the blown radius arm bushing
on the drivers side of my '95 F150 2WD yesterday. With
the right tools and a partner, this job is easily a two beer
job. It took us about 1 1/2 hour to complete. I made a list
of needed tools and complete step by step instructions if
anyone is interested, e-mail me off line.

However, the passenger's side looks to be a little more difficult.
The bushing is not blown, but I would like to replace it with the
poly. bushings as I did on the driver's side. The arm has less
play in it, which will not allow me to "pull" the radius arm out of
the rear support bracket. This leads me to believe that I need to
remove the tie rod assembley(?). Any tips or suggestions on
removing the tie rod from the radius arm assembly?

Thanks,

Justen
jrnoakes texas.net





== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 08:04:53 -0700
From: Mark Ponsford
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Exhaust system

>The only way to really test exhaust systems is to have a shop put the
>truck on a dynometer and plot the horsepower curves. We looked at several
>mods on an 89 E350 and the optimum was to cut the back section off the
>cat (there is a severe restriction right behind the cat) and install 3
>1/2 pipe muffler ect. all the way back. This shifted the HP curve up and
>reduced the back pressure about 2 psi. Three inch would be fine for the
>smaller V8s. The 460 needs all the help it can get.
>The engine does not seem to run quite as hot and there is a measurable
>improvement in road response. This mod was quite a bit cheaper than a
>dual exhaust set up.
>Craig

Hey Craig, thanks for this info.



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:09:08 -0400
From: "Michael McCarthy"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Dammit! It happened again!

Hey, guys+ACE- I got tired of it and subscribed to the list rather than the
list-digest. No missed messages as far as I can tell. You get the messages
individually but at least you get them all.

Michael McCarthy
Export, PA

- -----Original Message-----
From: Josh +ADw-berelson+AEA-gte.net+AD4-
To: Ford List +ADw-80-96-list+AEA-ford-trucks.com+AD4-
Date: Monday, July 26, 1999 9:05 AM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Dammit+ACE- It happened again+ACE-


+AD4-Ya what he said...
+AD4-
+AD4APg-I Didn't get the whole list again. I thought that had been resolved.
+AD4APg-AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH+ACEAIQAhACEAIQAh-
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-Josh
+AD4-berelson+AEA-gte.net
+AD4-Edmonds, WA
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4APQA9- FTE: Uns+ACo-bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 08:11:42 -0700
From: Mark Ponsford
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - where is that module ?

>> P.S. Where's the EEC-iv module located anyway?
>
>It should be screwed to the distributor base.

Wrong module. The EEC-IV on my 88 F150 is hiding behind the drivers side
kick panel.



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:10:29 -0500
From: "Justen Noakes"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Gibson Exhaust Seen on "Trucks"

List,

I saw this weeks episode of "Trucks" on TNN and was
interested in the Gibson CAT Back installation performed
on the GMC. Has anybody here installed this system on
a F150 4.9 L short bed?

The Gibson looked as if it was extremely easy to install,
and I checked around and the prices seemed reasonable.

Thanks for the info,

Justen Noakes
jrnoakes texas.net
'95 F150 SC/SB
4.9L 5spd
31X10.5 BFG A/Ts
K&N
RK Truck Box

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:16:57 -0400
From: Martin Horne
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - New exhaust

I have seen these "tornado" devices advertised. I have also seen devices
that are supposed to "smooth" the airflow into the engine. They cannot both
be right can they? This makes me suspicious of both. Does anyone else have
any thoughts?

Also, has anyone experienced any results (good bad or indifferent) with the
Fuel Master from the Whitney catalog? Something about the magnetic field
breaking up the fuel molecules. Sounds feasible.



At 01:08 AM 7/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I had a Flowmaster cat-back system installed on my 86 F-150 (351 4-V, auto,
>4x4) installed couple of weeks back. I had the one muffler, two tailpipe
>set up to start with and that is what I had installed. Before Flowmaster:
> 9.6 mpg, After Flowmaster: 11.5 mpg. This is after four tanks of gas,
>all combined city and hwy driving. I have a few more things that I want to
>do to help improve mpg, K&N filter, Jacobs electronic ignition set up,
>synthetic engine/tranny oil, carb re-build etc. Would like to be able to
>get it up to around 15mpg. Saw an ad in a JC Whitney catalog the other day
>for a product called, I believe, a Tornado. It mounts inside you air
>ductwork and supposedly forces more air in, thereby improving mpg, the
>price was something like $69. Anyone ever heard of it, or tried it? Would
>also be interested in any ideas on improving mpg. For now the F-150 is my
>daily driver and I have about a 40 mile commute daily.
>Suggestions/comments greatly appreciated.
>
>
>Joey Deckard
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:46:48 -0700
From: redmist mb.sympatico.ca
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Reprogramming my speedo for larger tires

Hey all!

I followed D.B. McDonald's directions to get into the electronic speedo
settings in my dash in order to reprogram it for my 32's. I found the
light blue wire with yellow stripe that had the plastic tab and male
connector on it labeled PSOM and grounded it, then turned on the key.
The speedo arm swept back and forth like he said and then the numerical
info came up on the speedo saying I had 6 burns left. About this
time...it started smoking and the whole thing shorted out!!!!!!

Just kidding. Not the thing to joke about, but I was really worried
it was going to happen....

Anyway, 967cal came up. I figured out that I need to increase my speedo
8.9%. The problem is, I couldn't increase the constant to the 1054 or
whatever the number was I thought I needed, I could only decrease it. I
had to press the select button each and every time, and I ended up
shutting the key off and aborting at 700, meaning I had hit the select
button approx. 267 times. I wasn't keen on the idea of pushing the
button another 666 times or so to wrap it around and get to 1054 or
whatever it was (can't remember, but it was a little over 1000). If I
have to I will, but I figured I must be confused. For all I know, it
won't ever go up that high. Do I put in a lower number to increase the
constant, or do I have to go all the way around. Is there enough room
on the display to go four digits? If anyone else out there knows how
this works, the info would be appreciated. D.B. McDonald must be on
holidays because I haven't heard back from him since my e-mail of a few
days ago. I can wait if I have to, but I am a little antsy to get this
done and try it out.

Thanks for your help. This is pretty cool so far.....

Shel ~:O)

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:12:16 -0700
From: Pat Murphy
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Erratic idle and poor fuel economy

Hi group,

I have an 89 f-250 with a 302 (fuel injection). Recently the idle
has been erratic and the truck will stall on occasion. Also coupled
with this problem is terrible fuel economy. I have not been able to see
any flashing codes. A friend suggested that I replace the Idle Air
Control Valve. I have just cleaned the existing one and the thottle
body with many cans of 2+2, no change. The motor was rebuilt 10,000
miles ago and had been running great up to this point. You would not
know there was a problem except for the idle problem and the bleeding
wallet at the gas pump! Any help would be appreciated.

Pat Murphy
Slatington, Pa.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:20:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tracy H
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: My wife's coffee killed my stero!!

If it helps any at all. I just installed a sony am/fm
cd player into my 84 ford last night. It works great
and it was VERY simple. So have fun and don't worry
about it. = ) Just think of the stero as
a...um...er...uhh... An early b-day present. *S*.. he
he.. Let me know how it goes!
*~Tracy*~
_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:27:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tracy H
Subject: FTE 80-96 - New Paint Job

I am getting my 1984 ford F-150 re painted. I am
hoping for some suggestions as to what colors and such
look good on this year and model. Can any one please
let me know of some websites or email me pictures of
your own trucks? This paint job and along with other
stuff is going to cost quite a bit of money so I would
like to be happy with it when its over. Thanks... any
suggestions would be more than helpful!
~*Tracy*~
_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:23:33 -0400
From: AndringWL nswccd.navy.mil
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Power Steering Leak

I have a 85 F-350 diesel, the power steering leaks from the area where the
steering wheel shaft enters the power steering unit. Is their some sort of
seal or gasket that can be replaced or do I have to replace the entire unit.
Also, when I got the truck last year, I was told it had a small power
steering leak, their was a bottle of "power steering fluid" under the hood.
Last month I learned I should be using Ford type "F" automatic transmission
fluid, which I am now using.

Lee Andring
Phone: 208-683-2080
Fax: 208-683-2036

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:47:05 -0500
From: Roy Houston
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - New Paint Job

Well, Of course I'm fond of the color scheme on my truck...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/pictorial/big/1985_f150_2.html

There's more schemes and colors than you can shake a stick at! Sorry but I
think you're gonna have to suit yourself on this one. You know, opinions
are like... well you get the point!


Roy :)

At 12:27 PM 7/26/99 , you wrote:
>
>
>
>I am getting my 1984 ford F-150 re painted. I am
>hoping for some suggestions as to what colors and such
>look good on this year and model. Can any one please
>let me know of some websites or email me pictures of
>your own trucks? This paint job and along with other
>stuff is going to cost quite a bit of money so I would
>like to be happy with it when its over. Thanks... any
>suggestions would be more than helpful!
>~*Tracy*~
>_________________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
> >
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

Roy Houston Richmond, TX (Houston 'burb)
85 F-150XL SC 351W H.O 4V
houston1 _at_ slb _dot_ com
houzoodad _at_ aol _dot_ com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:01:17 -0400
From: "Michael McCarthy"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Power Steering Leak

I recently went through the leaking power steering unit problem on a 1988
E-350. I thought about opening up the PS unit but when I investigated I
decided that discretion was the order of the day. so, I bought a
remanufactured PS unit and simply replaced it. It was $169 at the local auto
parts store and well worth the money. After I pulled the old unit out I
discovered it was leaking at just about every seam.
Getting the old one out and the new one in is another story, particularly on
an E-350.

What was this about using automatic transmission fluid in the power steering
unit?

Michael McCarthy
Export, PA

- -----Original Message-----
From: AndringWL nswccd.navy.mil
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Monday, July 26, 1999 2:25 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Power Steering Leak


>I have a 85 F-350 diesel, the power steering leaks from the area where the
>steering wheel shaft enters the power steering unit. Is their some sort of
>seal or gasket that can be replaced or do I have to replace the entire
unit.
>Also, when I got the truck last year, I was told it had a small power
>steering leak, their was a bottle of "power steering fluid" under the hood.
>Last month I learned I should be using Ford type "F" automatic transmission
>fluid, which I am now using.
>
>Lee Andring
>Phone: 208-683-2080
>Fax: 208-683-2036
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:11:37 -0400
From: "Matt Fitzsimmons"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: 1988 Bronco Restoration Body Panel Sources?

When I restored the body on my '82 Bronco we used standard pick up truck
F150 ) box replacement arches. The only special part I needed was the
tailgate. Outside of the repairing the rear, I replaced all the other
panels.

Matt


- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 1999 8:30 AM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: 1988 Bronco Restoration Body Panel Sources?


> Hi ,
> I am looking for the rather rare and hard to find 1988 full size
Bronco
> replacement body panel sources. I specifically need the rear fender well
arch
> openings (outside ) that typically rust on these fords. I have some back
> ordered thriugh J.C. Whitneys special order dept. but the date keeps
getting
> moved back....they are telling me late august now..!!! ...Anyone have any
> othere sources or suggestions I may try to finish this body restoration
work
> that is on hold due to lack of parts?......
> Thanks ,
>
> Bud :- }
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: DBblueboy webtv.net (Jerome Kelly)
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Thanks everyone!

The double knocks in my brakes were the clips. Just like you guys said.
My sanity
is starting to return. Thanks again.




== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jul 99 13:33:59 PDT
From: William Berninghausen
Subject: Re: [Re: FTE 80-96 - New exhaust]

Save your money. If any of the zillions of devices worked, they would be=

original equipment introduced by big advertising from Detroit or Tokyo. =
Some
of the devices work a little, on some vehicles, sometimes. If I installe=
d all
the items available for my 300I6, fuel would spill from the tank--the
percentages add up to more than 100%! =


Synthetic oil makes sense and has INDEPENDENT test data; K&N had INDEPEND=
ENT
tests; Jacobs tests their own stuff against the competition and reports t=
he
facts, not just when their stuff is best. Reporting tests you conduct
yourself is called ADVERTISING; it's also called b^)) s&%*.

Magnets and fuel? Doesn't square with third grade science--needs to be l=
ike
iron, right? Anything magnetic about fuel? Does the Whitney catalog tur=
n
down anybody? Wait until you see it in Consumer Reports. Their test
standards are hopelessly four-door sedan oriented and therefore pretty
useless, but they'll tell you the truth and they don't take bribes.

Bill in Portland





Martin Horne wrote:
> I have seen these "tornado" devices advertised. I have also seen device=
s
> that are supposed to "smooth" the airflow into the engine. They cannot =
both
> be right can they? This makes me suspicious of both. Does anyone else h=
ave
> any thoughts?
> =

> Also, has anyone experienced any results (good bad or indifferent) with=
the
> Fuel Master from the Whitney catalog? Something about the magnetic fiel=
d
> breaking up the fuel molecules. Sounds feasible.
> =

> =

> =

> At 01:08 AM 7/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >I had a Flowmaster cat-back system installed on my 86 F-150 (351 4-V,
auto,
> >4x4) installed couple of weeks back. I had the one muffler, two tailp=
ipe
> >set up to start with and that is what I had installed. Before
Flowmaster:
> > 9.6 mpg, After Flowmaster: 11.5 mpg. This is after four tanks of ga=
s,
> >all combined city and hwy driving. I have a few more things that I wa=
nt
to
> >do to help improve mpg, K&N filter, Jacobs electronic ignition set up,=

> >synthetic engine/tranny oil, carb re-build etc. Would like to be able=
to
> >get it up to around 15mpg. Saw an ad in a JC Whitney catalog the othe=
r
day
> >for a product called, I believe, a Tornado. It mounts inside you air
> >ductwork and supposedly forces more air in, thereby improving mpg, the=

> >price was something like $69. Anyone ever heard of it, or tried it? =

Would
> >also be interested in any ideas on improving mpg. For now the F-150 i=
s my
> >daily driver and I have about a 40 mile commute daily. =

> >Suggestions/comments greatly appreciated.
> >
> >
> >Joey Deckard
> >=3D=3D FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/fa=
q.html
> =

> =3D=3D FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq=
=2Ehtml


____________________________________________________________________
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://webm=
ail.netscape.com.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:37:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: DBblueboy webtv.net (Jerome Kelly)
Subject: FTE 80-96 - A/C problem

I have a 1987 F150. It is a nice truck with low miles. I bought it
uses and am the second owner. The air doesn't work. I purchased a
changeover kit, which consisted of quick connects, two cans of
oil,freon, and fill hose. I got the compressor going after I added the
oil and two cans of freon. It came out of the condenser though and I
lost it. I must have a bad leak. The worse problem is
that I kept blowing fuses. Everytime I hit
the little blue button for the air it blew. I
removed the diod to the compressor and
with this circut open the clutch ingaged.
This is the area I am having problems with. Does anyone have any ideas?




== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:44:39 -0400
From: Martin Horne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - A/C

First, thanx to Bill in Portland for the sanity check on the "Fuel Savers".
I was kinda leaning to that opinion, but I guess I needed someone else to
point out the nature of the claims in their "tests". If it sounds too good
to be true then .....


Two years ago I retrofitted the A/C in my Full size '86 Bronco to R134. I
bought the truck used in the winter and when it got hot I turned on the A/C
- - nothing! What a surprise! When I hooked up the gauges there was no
pressure at all so I removed the pump and drained the oil out of it. The
rest I left as it was except for the fill fittings. I reinstalled the pump
and then pulled a vacuum on it with one of those cheap air powered venturii
pumps that I got from Harbor Freight for $10.00. This stage is crucial as
when the vacuum is applied any moisture in the system boils out and is
exhausted by the vacuum pump. The system will not work properly if moisture
is present.

Then I added two 12oz cans of 134 (upside down) and an 8.5 oz can of ester
oil, supplied in the retrofit kit. Then with the engine running I hooked up
the third can, right side up and let the system run for about 15 minutes.
The instructions said that this way the system would pull the remaining 134
that it needed, and no more. As it was, it emptied the third can so I
repeated the procedure with a fourth can which about half emptied. Since
then I topped the system off at the start of this year with about 3oz to
compensate for a very slow leak from somehere.

The system is running great. Today it is reading 89 degrees on a digital
thermometer, and I am getting 63 degree air out of the dash. With a
differential of 26 degrees I am happy, as the r12 system in my J**P only
pulls a differential of 27 to 29 degrees.

I am told by a friend who does commercial A/C (who lent me the gauges) that
the important thing is to get as much of the old oil out as possible. There
is probably 8oz of R12 oil in the system with the R12, and when the
capacity of the entire system is only 52oz, if you just load the new oil
and r134 on top you are short-charging the system by nearly 20% on the
refrigerant. This won't harm anything I am told, but efficiency will be
down 20% as well.

I guess the point of this rambling is that the system can work within a
hair of the original efficiency, but the result is likely to be
proportional to the effort expended in doing the retrofit. The oil and r134
I bought stated quite clearly that it is fully compatible with the old
hardware, seals and chemicals and to date this certainly seems to have been
the case.

Thanks for bearing with me. I feel better now.


Martin Horne
Long Island, NY
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:59:53 EDT
From: Spruce1495 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - R134 AC Scam

Yes, I have heard the same thing. I felt it was a scam when the issue
surfaced. I have worked with AC for a number of years and Yes It Does Settle
to a lower level.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:04:12 EDT
From: Spruce1495 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Bosch Platinum +4 plugs

I put Bosch Plats in my F-150 302FI and and it hasn't been right since. Even
after putting the stock recommended plugs back in. All Ford mechanics I've
dealt with since have had nothing good to say about them and a 302
application.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:06:14 EDT
From: Spruce1495 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Ball Joint Removal

Pickle fork and a big hammer.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:11:07 -0700
From: "Rob Bryan"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - A/C

FWIW, I think it is kinda silly to bother recharging an A/C system without
fixing the leaks, especially if you are recharging with (the now) very
expensive R12. On most Fords, the refrigerant leaks from the various
quick-connect fittings found throughout the system. These, I have learned,
are pretty easy to fix.

First, you need to get the correct tool to open the fittings, it is one of
the tools you get in the kit to disconnect EFI fuel lines.

Disconnect the lines and remove the O-rings. Take all the O-rings to a Ford
parts department and they will match them up so you can get all the correct
O-rings. Then go to an A/C shop, they should be able to hook you up with
some clamps that go over the quick-connect fittings to keep them from
leaking in the future.

Then, install the new O-rings, coating them lightly in oil. Reconnect the
quick-connect fittings, then install the clamps. At this time, it is wise to
replace the reciever/drier as well since the dessicant in the drier portion
will probably be saturated with water. Also, remove and drain the oil from
the compressor if you are converting to R-134.

Then, with a vacuum pump, evacuate the system. Then recharge the system with
lubricant and refrigerant.

Everyone that I know that has done this before recharging their A/C hasn't
had a problem with the system leaking since.

Rob
'90 Bronco
'93 PGT

> Two years ago I retrofitted the A/C in my Full size '86 Bronco to R134. I
> bought the truck used in the winter and when it got hot I turned on the A/C
> - nothing! What a surprise! When I hooked up the gauges there was no
> pressure at all so I removed the pump and drained the oil out of it. The
> rest I left as it was except for the fill fittings. I reinstalled the pump
> and then pulled a vacuum on it with one of those cheap air powered venturii
> pumps that I got from Harbor Freight for $10.00. This stage is crucial as
> when the vacuum is applied any moisture in the system boils out and is
> exhausted by the vacuum pump. The system will not work properly if moisture
> is present.
>
> Then I added two 12oz cans of 134 (upside down) and an 8.5 oz can of ester
> oil, supplied in the retrofit kit. Then with the engine running I hooked up
> the third can, right side up and let the system run for about 15 minutes.
> The instructions said that this way the system would pull the remaining 134
> that it needed, and no more. As it was, it emptied the third can so I
> repeated the procedure with a fourth can which about half emptied. Since
> then I topped the system off at the start of this year with about 3oz to
> compensate for a very slow leak from somehere.
>
> The system is running great. Today it is reading 89 degrees on a digital
> thermometer, and I am getting 63 degree air out of the dash. With a
> differential of 26 degrees I am happy, as the r12 system in my J**P only
> pulls a differential of 27 to 29 degrees.
>
> I am told by a friend who does commercial A/C (who lent me the gauges) that
> the important thing is to get as much of the old oil out as possible. There
> is probably 8oz of R12 oil in the system with the R12, and when the
> capacity of the entire system is only 52oz, if you just load the new oil
> and r134 on top you are short-charging the system by nearly 20% on the
> refrigerant. This won't harm anything I am told, but efficiency will be
> down 20% as well.
>
> I guess the point of this rambling is that the system can work within a
> hair of the original efficiency, but the result is likely to be
> proportional to the effort expended in doing the retrofit. The oil and r134
> I bought stated quite clearly that it is fully compatible with the old
> hardware, seals and chemicals and to date this certainly seems to have been
> the case.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:07:03 EDT
From: RQTHOMSON aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 82 F100 Bed

I used pressure treated 3/4 plywood & it held up pretty well, 6+ years. Just
put some deck treatment on it every now & then.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:17:20 EDT
From: MadHavelka cs.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)

I have an '88 F-150 with a 302 and the A4OD tranny. In the past few
months its been starting a little rough when cold. I''ve also noticed when I
run the A/C the engine load is cycling back-and-forth continually. I haven't
had a chance to really get into it. Before I started making unnecessary
replacements or got reamed at an auto shop I thought I'd try to get some
suggestions on where to start.
On a side note, I saw an ad on Speedvision the other night for a
magnet that fits over the end of your oil filter in order to trap metal
shavings. Sounds like a good idea to me. Does anyone have any thoughts on
this?

Mark Havelka
Austin, TX
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:05:42 EDT
From: LGRanch aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: 1988 Bronco Restoration Body Panel Sources?

The problem with this idea is that the body style chaanged in 88. Almost no
one carrys 88 to 92 body panels. Even the fiberglass guys frequently ignore
these years.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:09:46 -0500
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Power Steering Leak

I have not had this problem on a Ford truck. My buddy's C%&*# truck had the
same problem described here, though, and I swapped out the upper seal with
him in about an hour. Seal was about $10. I will not swear that it will be
this easy on the Ford, but it was pretty easy. He is a poor college kid, so
the $160 for the new unit was out of the question. He was going junkyard
shopping for one when I suggested just trying a new seal. Three months
later it is dry as a bone. See what your shop manual says about doing this
repair. (I'm too lazy to go out to the garage to get mine.)

At 15:01 26/07/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I recently went through the leaking power steering unit problem on a 1988
>E-350. I thought about opening up the PS unit but when I investigated I
>decided that discretion was the order of the day. so, I bought a
>remanufactured PS unit and simply replaced it. It was $169 at the local auto
>parts store and well worth the money. After I pulled the old unit out I
>discovered it was leaking at just about every seam.
>Getting the old one out and the new one in is another story, particularly on
>an E-350.
>
>What was this about using automatic transmission fluid in the power steering
>unit?
>
>Michael McCarthy
>Export, PA
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: AndringWL nswccd.navy.mil
>To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
>Date: Monday, July 26, 1999 2:25 PM
>Subject: FTE 80-96 - Power Steering Leak
>
>
>>I have a 85 F-350 diesel, the power steering leaks from the area where the
>>steering wheel shaft enters the power steering unit. Is their some sort of
>>seal or gasket that can be replaced or do I have to replace the entire
>unit.
>>Also, when I got the truck last year, I was told it had a small power
>>steering leak, their was a bottle of "power steering fluid" under the hood.
>>Last month I learned I should be using Ford type "F" automatic transmission
>>fluid, which I am now using.
>>
>>Lee Andring
>>Phone: 208-683-2080
>>Fax: 208-683-2036
>>
>>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
Jim Cannon
Houston, TX
'29 Ford Model A Phaeton '63 Buick Riviera 401 V-8
'80 Ford F-150 300 I-6 2WD
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:34:58 -0700
From: "McMahon, Todd R."
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)

Interesting Idea... please send more info!

Many people also put magnets in their oil pans to catch metal debris as
well... If you have problems getting the oil pan OUT as I do, due to a
cross-member, you can place a small round magnet on top of the drain plug
before screwing it back into place.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: MadHavelka cs.com [mailto:MadHavelka cs.com]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 6:17 PM
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)

I have an '88 F-150 with a 302 and the A4OD tranny.
In the past few
months its been starting a little rough when cold. I''ve
also noticed when I
run the A/C the engine load is cycling back-and-forth
continually. I haven't
had a chance to really get into it. Before I started making
unnecessary
replacements or got reamed at an auto shop I thought I'd try
to get some
suggestions on where to start.
On a side note, I saw an ad on Speedvision the other
night for a
magnet that fits over the end of your oil filter in order to
trap metal
shavings. Sounds like a good idea to me. Does anyone have
any thoughts on
this?

Mark Havelka
Austin, TX
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:40:56 -0500
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)

At 21:17 26/07/99 EDT, you wrote:
> On a side note, I saw an ad on Speedvision the other night for a
>magnet that fits over the end of your oil filter in order to trap metal
>shavings. Sounds like a good idea to me. Does anyone have any thoughts on
>this?

I think you do not really need it. I think the filter media will stop any
stray piece of metal that begins to circulate in the oil.

Jim Cannon
Houston, TX
'29 Ford Model A Phaeton '63 Buick Riviera 401 V-8
'80 Ford F-150 300 I-6 2WD
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:13:18 EDT
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Erratic idle and poor fuel economy

In a message dated 7/26/99 12:15:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pmm2 lehigh.edu
writes:



I have an 89 f-250 with a 302 (fuel injection). Recently the idle
has been erratic and the truck will stall on occasion. Also coupled
with this problem is terrible fuel economy. I have not been able to see
any flashing codes. A friend suggested that I replace the Idle Air
Control Valve. I have just cleaned the existing one and the throttle
body with many cans of 2+2, no change. The motor was rebuilt 10,000
miles ago and had been running great up to this point. You would not
know there was a problem except for the idle problem and the bleeding
wallet at the gas pump! Any help would be appreciated.

Pat Murphy
Slatington, Pa. >>

Pat,
I would check the fuel filter. This would cause low pressure which would not
throw a code unless it got so low that it caused a lean condition. Let us
know if you have checked this.
Later
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside SC
Wayne's Page
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:21:21 EDT
From: Lwskywalk aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)

yeah it works like the differential magnetic plug. when it gets smooth with
shavings time for a changin. i have one on my e350 work van. its a 97.

luke
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:39:32 -0700
From: "Mike Salomone"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)

On a side note, I saw an ad on Speedvision the other
night for a
magnet that fits over the end of your oil filter in
order to trap metal
shavings. Sounds like a good idea to me. Does anyone
have any thoughts on
this?


I don't know about a magnet on the oil filter but I
have seen them
on the drain plug.I don't see how it could hurt
anything.
Happpy Trails
Mike Salomone aka mickeys sedona.net

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:06:26 -0700
From: "Mike Salomone"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Mileage/power

LOL>>>ROTFLMAO... Is that damn thing back again????!!!!
Used to see them at County and state fairs when I was a
youngster.
It's snake oil, friends!!!!!!!!

Happpy Trails
Mike Salomone aka mickeys sedona.net


- ----- Original Message -----
From: Turbo !
To:
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 1999 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Mileage/power


Actually it's exactly what it sounds like. It ampifies
your spark. You
plug it in between your distributer & coil and it
amplifies the spark.
When I went to a swap meet 3 months ago they where
showing a demo on a
truck. I watched them run a 8 cyl. engine on only 2
plugs. Believe it or
not it works (I tried it on my Bronco) I paid $20 for
it and it already
paid for itself. They guy said that auto stores sell
them for about $40.



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:06:14 -0700
From: Bob Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Erratic idle and poor fuel economy

You need to get at the codes. You may have a bad 02 sensor or MAP Sensor.

Bob


Pat Murphy wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> I have an 89 f-250 with a 302 (fuel injection). Recently the idle
> has been erratic and the truck will stall on occasion. Also coupled
> with this problem is terrible fuel economy. I have not been able to see
> any flashing codes. A friend suggested that I replace the Idle Air
> Control Valve. I have just cleaned the existing one and the thottle
> body with many cans of 2+2, no change. The motor was rebuilt 10,000
> miles ago and had been running great up to this point. You would not
> know there was a problem except for the idle problem and the bleeding
> wallet at the gas pump! Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Pat Murphy
> Slatington, Pa.
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:11:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Turbo16 webtv.net (Turbo !)
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Gibson Exhaust Seen on "Trucks"

I have an 88 Full size Bronco and am in need of a new exhaust system.
Could you tell me how much that system goes for? Is that for parts only?
Thanks
Chris

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:15:53 EDT
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Mileage/power

In a message dated 7/27/99 12:10:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mickeys sedona.net writes:


youngster.
It's snake oil, friends!!!!!!!
>>
Hmmm..then I guess the MSD, Jacobs, Accel, Holley, and Crane ignition
amplifiers are all snake oil too? If you think they don't work, I have a coil
wire I want you to hold while I crank over my motor. You wont be holding it
for very long...trust me.
Later
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside SC (MSD 6AL equipped)
Wayne's Page
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:21:19 -0700
From: redmist mb.sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: My wife's coffee killed my stero!!

Tracy H wrote:
>
> If it helps any at all. I just installed a sony am/fm
> cd player into my 84 ford last night. It works great
> and it was VERY simple. So have fun and don't worry
> about it. = ) Just think of the stero as
> a...um...er...uhh... An early b-day present. *S*.. he
> he.. Let me know how it goes!

That's hillarious!!

When I came home from work today, I mentioned to my wife that I took a
look at an AM/FM CD player, and when I told her the price, she agreed
that it sounded pretty good. I expected her to raise her eyebrows, but
she didn't even blink.

I read her your post and she got a few giggles out of it. So did I.

Shel ~:O)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:21:56 -0700
From: "Radoje Spasojevic"
Subject: Re: [Re: FTE 80-96 - New exhaust]

Bill has hit the nail right on the head. The only way to boost fuel
efficiency is to increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine, mix the
air/fuel mixture better, and burn the fuel completely. there is almost NO
way to improve gas mileage any other way.

Rade
- -----Original Message-----
From: William Berninghausen
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Monday, July 26, 1999 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Re: FTE 80-96 - New exhaust]


Save your money. If any of the zillions of devices worked, they would be
original equipment introduced by big advertising from Detroit or Tokyo.
Some
of the devices work a little, on some vehicles, sometimes. If I installed
all
the items available for my 300I6, fuel would spill from the tank--the
percentages add up to more than 100%!

Synthetic oil makes sense and has INDEPENDENT test data; K&N had INDEPENDENT
tests; Jacobs tests their own stuff against the competition and reports the
facts, not just when their stuff is best. Reporting tests you conduct
yourself is called ADVERTISING; it's also called b^)) s&%*.

Magnets and fuel? Doesn't square with third grade science--needs to be like
iron, right? Anything magnetic about fuel? Does the Whitney catalog turn
down anybody? Wait until you see it in Consumer Reports. Their test
standards are hopelessly four-door sedan oriented and therefore pretty
useless, but they'll tell you the truth and they don't take bribes.

Bill in Portland





Martin Horne wrote:
> I have seen these "tornado" devices advertised. I have also seen devices
....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.