From: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com (80-96-list-digest)
To: 80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list-digest V3 #194
Reply-To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


80-96-list-digest Monday, July 12 1999 Volume 03 : Number 194



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual
FTE 80-96 - Sway bars
Re: FTE 80-96 - Sway bars
Re: FTE 80-96 - Sway bars
FTE 80-96 - 1985 F-150 heated air intake
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual
RE: FTE 80-96 - Rade's fourth of July soapbox
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual
FTE 80-96 - Manual Transmission fluid
Re: FTE 80-96 - 1985 F-150 heated air intake
Re: FTE 80-96 - Manual Transmission fluid
Re: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:53:36 -0700
From: "Ken Brayton"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual

Newbie here. Just purchased a 96 F150 and recently joined
this list to draw on the collective wisdom of all who dwell
here.

The owner's manual is missing on this rig and I would
appreciate suggestions as to which repair manual,
Chilton/Hanes/??? or technical manual is the most accurate
and useful for a shadetree mechanic. I'm usually not afraid
to tackle a project but I do need a good set of
instructions. Do you recommend picking up an owner's manual
as well or will one of these other books cover everything?

A new set of tires all around is on the horizon. Would like
to hear your recommendations for a tough, long-lasting,
multi-use type of tire. This is my go-to-work rig as well as
my hunting rig. Most of my hunting is on logging roads or
dirt roads. I don't do a lot of off-road stuff. We get lots
of rain (I'm in Oregon) but I'm not in snow very often.
Current tires are 31x10 50R15LT.

Thanks.

Ken Brayton
Albany, Oregon
94 F150 5.0L 4x4

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 10:57:51 CDT
From: "Jett Rink"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual

Chilton/Haynes manuals are not worth the paper they're printed on; they try
to cover too broad of an area to be useful to those of us who handle all of
our own maintenence. Factory shop manual sets are MUCH better but
accordingly pricey (close to $100), however they're model/year specific and
come in a set of three or four volumes plus wiring and vacuum hose diagrams.
Shop manuals have to be ordered from the publisher who also prints owner's
manuals at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.helminc.com. Go to the Ford site and go under owner
connection. By registering your name and VIN, you can access an entire
owner's manual free of charge over the net.


>The owner's manual is missing on this rig and I would
>appreciate suggestions as to which repair manual,
>Chilton/Hanes/??? or technical manual is the most accurate
>and useful for a shadetree mechanic. I'm usually not afraid
>to tackle a project but I do need a good set of
>instructions. Do you recommend picking up an owner's manual
>as well or will one of these other books cover everything?



_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:47:42 -0400
From: Bob Hirsch
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual

At 07-53 1999-07-11 -0700, you wrote:
>The owner's manual is missing on this rig and I would
>appreciate suggestions as to which repair manual,
>Chilton/Hanes/???

Hi Ken --

I'm also new to the list. Mine is a 84 F150 4x4. I have both Chilton and Haynes. For me the Haynes is better. For one thing, it has a trouble shooting guide which helps me figure out what's wrong. Also, I like the better step by step instructions for repairing/replacing parts.
I saw the note about the shop manuals being better and more money. Well, of course they are better and year specific; but they are only useful depending on your level of skill. I'm only a weekend shadetree type of guy so the Haynes has most everything in it that I would tackle myself anyway. If you're a real mechanic then sure, then you need the real manual.
I would always recommend the owner's manual in addition to anything else you buy. It's not expensive and has things in it specific to your truck that you won't find in the others.
Good luck with the new truck.

Bob Hirsch
Solebury, Pennsylvania
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:19:52 -0600 (MDT)
From: AJSyndergaard webtv.net (Alan and Janyce Syndergaard)
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Sway bars

I have a 93 F150 s/b 2wd that I have lowered 3 inches in the front and 4
inches in the rear. The truck did not have sway bars originally, but I
would like to add them now. Does anyone out there know of a application
or manufacture for this truck, particularly for the front?
Thanks,
Alan

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 17:31:45 EDT
From: Lwskywalk aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Sway bars

you can find items as such in truckin magizine.

luke
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:45:07 -0700
From: Bob Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Sway bars

You can look a the site mentioned and see if the application matches the
80-96 Bronco/F-150.
If it does, I just pulled mine off my '86 Bronco and will let you have it
for shipping charges.

Bob


Alan and Janyce Syndergaard wrote:

> I have a 93 F150 s/b 2wd that I have lowered 3 inches in the front and 4
> inches in the rear. The truck did not have sway bars originally, but I
> would like to add them now. Does anyone out there know of a application
> or manufacture for this truck, particularly for the front?
> Thanks,
> Alan
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:04:58 -0400
From: "Michael McCarthy"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 1985 F-150 heated air intake

My '85 F-150 (I6) has a heated air intake that essentially feeds heated
manifold air into the carb when it is cold. The intake manifold vacuum is
routed through a temperature sensitive vacuum switch that actuates a vacuum
motor in the air cleaner. When it is cold the vacuum switch opens and
applies a vacuum to the air cleaner vacuum motor and the fresh air flap
closes which in turn opens the heated air flap from the manifold. As the
engine warms up the temperature sensitive switch gradually closes and
gradually reduces the vacuum applied to the air cleaner vacuum motor which
gradually closes the heated air intake and opens the fresh air intake. That
part of the system works fine.
Unfortunately, there is another vacuum device in the vacuum line between the
temperature sensitive switch and the vacuum motor. I am not sure what it is
supposed to do but I know what it does. It essentially acts as a check
valve. If the engine is cold and the vacuum motor activates the fresh air
flap closes and stays closed because this device won't allow air to pass in
the opposite direction and there is no way to bleed off the vacuum. Kind of
screws up performance once the engine is warm.
This device is labeled VAC/MTR and has the numbers 3A3E-AA on it. The
schematic under the hood labels the device a P/D MTR. The guy at the local
parts store has no idea what the device is. It is probably cheap enough to
replace but I try not to "hang" parts without knowing what is going on.
Does anybody know what this thing is and what it is supposed to be doing?

Michael McCarthy
Export, PA

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:08:46 -0400
From: Mike Sloane
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual

I think that the original request was for the Owner's manual - the one
that usually comes with the truck when new. I purchased mine for my '87
F350 from Helms, and the price was reasonable. While the service manuals
are nice to have, there is nothing quite like an owner's manual to tell
you such little things as correct tire pressure, where some of the odd
fuses are, how to program the time on the radio, and that kind of stuff
that is not all that obvious when you get a used truck.

Mike

Jett Rink wrote:
>
> Chilton/Haynes manuals are not worth the paper they're printed on; they try
> to cover too broad of an area to be useful to those of us who handle all of
> our own maintenence. Factory shop manual sets are MUCH better but
> accordingly pricey (close to $100), however they're model/year specific and
> come in a set of three or four volumes plus wiring and vacuum hose diagrams.
> Shop manuals have to be ordered from the publisher who also prints owner's
> manuals at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.helminc.com. Go to the Ford site and go under owner
> connection. By registering your name and VIN, you can access an entire
> owner's manual free of charge over the net.
>
> >The owner's manual is missing on this rig and I would
> >appreciate suggestions as to which repair manual,
> >Chilton/Hanes/??? or technical manual is the most accurate
> >and useful for a shadetree mechanic. I'm usually not afraid
> >to tackle a project but I do need a good set of
> >instructions. Do you recommend picking up an owner's manual
> >as well or will one of these other books cover everything?
>
> _______________________________________________________________
> Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

- --

- ------------
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane att.net)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:23:57 -0400
From: "Troy"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Rade's fourth of July soapbox

On 2 Jul 99, at 9:21, Eric Sneed wrote:

> " If the south would have won we'd of had it made!"
>As long as you are a white boy! race relations are bad enough in this
>country as is, we need to get past that part of our history
>
>Proud to be an American!!!

I don't think you have actually heard the song. I suggest that you
look for a local country station in your area and request them to
play the song for you. It speaks nothing of race relations.

Instead, the song is speaking of how things would be done
differently if the south would have won. How the judicial system
would be arranged, one song "I'd make my supreme court down in
Texas. And we wouldn't have no killers gettin' off free. If they were
proven guilty, then they would swing quickly instead of writing
books and smilin' on T.V."

I'm not going to start another thread here, but the song is not
talking anything about race relations. Instead, the Civil War was
fought only for states rights. The Northern states were making
rules and expecting the southern states to try and live by the rules
when they had no representation. Sure, it did boil down to race
relations, but if someone is doing something you don't agree with,
you don't try and punish them. Instead, you try and work it out.

The song "If The South Woulda Won" is only speaking of how Hank
Jr. would run for president and how he would do things. Speaking
nothing of keeping the slaves on plantations against their will, or
how he would have lynchings, etc. I suggest that you listen to the
song before you try and bring racism into the argument.

You might be a redneck if... Your kitchen doubles as a bait store.
- Jeff Foxworthy


Troy Williams
________________________________________________________
NetZero - We believe in a FREE Internet. Shouldn't you?
Get your FREE Internet Access and Email at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:54:11 -0400
From: Martin Horne
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual

I have an ''86 Bronco and would suggest BOTH Haynes and Chilton as an
inexpensive solution for a keen amateur. What one doesn't cover, the other
normally does. The Haynes has better wiring diagrams, Chilton explains
emissions better etc. Certainly has helped me during a recent engine swap.

As to tires, I have been running BF Goodrich Radial All Terrains on both my
trucks (other is a J*#p) and am well impressed. I can go through stuff in
2wd that the previous tires wouldn't do in 4wd and I'm getting 60k plus out
of a set. I had Michelin Radial X's before, which were fine in the dry but
slid all over at the smallest sign of rain.

Hope this helps.

Martin Horne
Long Island, NY

At 07:53 AM 7/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Newbie here. Just purchased a 96 F150 and recently joined
>this list to draw on the collective wisdom of all who dwell
>here.
>
>The owner's manual is missing on this rig and I would
>appreciate suggestions as to which repair manual,
>Chilton/Hanes/??? or technical manual is the most accurate
>and useful for a shadetree mechanic. I'm usually not afraid
>to tackle a project but I do need a good set of
>instructions. Do you recommend picking up an owner's manual
>as well or will one of these other books cover everything?
>
>A new set of tires all around is on the horizon. Would like
>to hear your recommendations for a tough, long-lasting,
>multi-use type of tire. This is my go-to-work rig as well as
>my hunting rig. Most of my hunting is on logging roads or
>dirt roads. I don't do a lot of off-road stuff. We get lots
>of rain (I'm in Oregon) but I'm not in snow very often.
>Current tires are 31x10 50R15LT.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Ken Brayton
>Albany, Oregon
>94 F150 5.0L 4x4
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:09:49 -0700
From: Bob Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need to buy owner's manual

Martin,

I've got an '86 Bronco as well and have both manuals for the same reason!

Bob
Olympia, Wa

The Left Coast



Martin Horne wrote:

> I have an ''86 Bronco and would suggest BOTH Haynes and Chilton as an
> inexpensive solution for a keen amateur. What one doesn't cover, the other
> normally does. The Haynes has better wiring diagrams, Chilton explains
> emissions better etc. Certainly has helped me during a recent engine swap.
>
> As to tires, I have been running BF Goodrich Radial All Terrains on both my
> trucks (other is a J*#p) and am well impressed. I can go through stuff in
> 2wd that the previous tires wouldn't do in 4wd and I'm getting 60k plus out
> of a set. I had Michelin Radial X's before, which were fine in the dry but
> slid all over at the smallest sign of rain.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Martin Horne
> Long Island, NY
>
> At 07:53 AM 7/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >Newbie here. Just purchased a 96 F150 and recently joined
> >this list to draw on the collective wisdom of all who dwell
> >here.
> >
> >The owner's manual is missing on this rig and I would
> >appreciate suggestions as to which repair manual,
> >Chilton/Hanes/??? or technical manual is the most accurate
> >and useful for a shadetree mechanic. I'm usually not afraid
> >to tackle a project but I do need a good set of
> >instructions. Do you recommend picking up an owner's manual
> >as well or will one of these other books cover everything?
> >
> >A new set of tires all around is on the horizon. Would like
> >to hear your recommendations for a tough, long-lasting,
> >multi-use type of tire. This is my go-to-work rig as well as
> >my hunting rig. Most of my hunting is on logging roads or
> >dirt roads. I don't do a lot of off-road stuff. We get lots
> >of rain (I'm in Oregon) but I'm not in snow very often.
> >Current tires are 31x10 50R15LT.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Ken Brayton
> >Albany, Oregon
> >94 F150 5.0L 4x4
> >
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:51:00 +0100
From: dcoburn worldaccessnet.com (dave coburn)
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Manual Transmission fluid

I have a 93 F-150 x-c, 4x4, with a 300-6, Mazda 5 speed and a 3:55 rearend.
The manual claims 3000 lbs. max for towing. The same set up except with a
auto tranny is rated for around 5000 lbs. Heck my old Toyota 4 cyl was
rated at 3500 lbs. I want to pull a small travel trailor with it at around
4500 lbs. I was also going to use Mobile 1 synthetic ATF and try to put a
tranny oil cooler on it. Anyone have any thoughts on this or towed a
similar load with this set up. I hate to leave gears on the road! Anyone
installed a oil cooler for this tranny? Thanks

Dave Coburn


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:36:04 -0500
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 1985 F-150 heated air intake

See my comments below:

At 19:04 11/07/99 -0400, Michael McCarthy" wrote:



>Unfortunately, there is another vacuum device in the vacuum line between the
>temperature sensitive switch and the vacuum motor. I am not sure what it is
>supposed to do but I know what it does. It essentially acts as a check
>valve. If the engine is cold and the vacuum motor activates the fresh air
>flap closes and stays closed because this device won't allow air to pass in
>the opposite direction and there is no way to bleed off the vacuum. Kind of
>screws up performance once the engine is warm.

If you think the device is screwing up performance, I suggest you take it
out for a test period and replace it with a straight coupling.

>This device is labeled VAC/MTR and has the numbers 3A3E-AA on it. The
>schematic under the hood labels the device a P/D MTR. The guy at the local
>parts store has no idea what the device is. It is probably cheap enough to
>replace but I try not to "hang" parts without knowing what is going on.
>Does anybody know what this thing is and what it is supposed to be doing?

OK, I don't know wiath the "P/D MTR" is on the emmisions sticker. But the
labeling "VAC/MTR" is so you hook it up right. One end (labeled VAC) goes
towad the vacuum source (the temp sensor). The other end (labeled MTR) goes
toward the vacuum motor. This device IS like a check valve, only it is
supposed to be a "leaky" check valve. Is is made leaky so that when you
step on the gas on a cold engine the flapper will not open back up too
fast. If the flapper does not open EVER then the device is bad and should
be replaced. If it opens up in 3 minutes of less it is not bad.

You will not get any help on these items with local auto parts store guys.
They do not have the resources required to deal with these questions. You
need to work with Ford parts guys. They have microfilm pictures of all
these systems to go by. If you are lucky you will get a guy who knows his
stuff. If not, get him to print the diagrams and take them home and study
them (and post questions to the list).

There has been a thread recently about factory shop manuals vs. aftermarket
manuals. This is a perfect example of where the factory shop manuals are
REALLY valuable. They explain all of the abbreviations (but for the actual
connections of what connects to what you need to go by the sticker under
the hood). This device is not in my manuals for my 1980, though. I have
both factory and aftermarket manuals for my truck, but I refer only to my
shop manuals at this stage. I will admit, though, that I am quite a bit
beyond the shadetree machanic. (When I tell people at the office what I am
did to my truck, my son's truck, or my riviera over the weekend they are
blown away.)

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Jim Cannon
Houston, TX
'29 Ford Model A Phaeton '63 Buick Riviera 401 V-8
'80 Ford F-150 300 I-6 2WD
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:49:11 -0500
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Manual Transmission fluid

At 21:51 11/07/99 +0100, you wrote:
>I have a 93 F-150 x-c, 4x4, with a 300-6, Mazda 5 speed and a 3:55 rearend.
>The manual claims 3000 lbs. max for towing. The same set up except with a
>auto tranny is rated for around 5000 lbs. Heck my old Toyota 4 cyl was
>rated at 3500 lbs. I want to pull a small travel trailor with it at around
>4500 lbs. I was also going to use Mobile 1 synthetic ATF and try to put a
>tranny oil cooler on it. Anyone have any thoughts on this or towed a
>similar load with this set up. I hate to leave gears on the road! Anyone
>installed a oil cooler for this tranny? Thanks

OK, first of all, NO TRANSMISSION COOLER WILL CONNECT TO THIS TRANSMISSION!
It is a manual transmission and there is no pump to push the fluid through
a cooler. (Good idea, though.)

Now that we have THAT out of the way...

The engineers at Ford have put the weight limit if the trailer you tow with
this transmission at 3000 lbs because they know that it is a very
lightweight transmissiona and if you try to pull more than that for very
long or very far that it will likely fail and you will not be happy :-(.
Why don't people trust the engineers at the manufacturer to know what they
are talking about?!? You have a lightweight POS tranny there and if you
overload it, it will LET YOU DOWN. Anyone on the list with the Mazda
5-speed that think very highly of it?

Now, about the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF... It is NOT recommended for your
transmission. It is too slippery. It won't shift right. If this were an
automatic transmission and you were thinking of pulling a travel trailer I
would say it was worth the added thermal stability that synthetics offer.
But it's not, so I don't.

Later.

Jim Cannon
Houston, TX
'29 Ford Model A Phaeton '63 Buick Riviera 401 V-8
'80 Ford F-150 300 I-6 2WD
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:54:11 -0500
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - (no subject)

I don't know, Joe. Visit a good front-end shop I guess and see if anything
is obviously worn. How long since you messed with the brakes? There are
littles springs and things in there that get tired with age/heat that could
be weak. Hard to diagnose without being there. Drive it on down to Houston
and I'll take a look at it ;-). Call before you come.
....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.