From: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com (80-96-list-digest)
To: 80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list-digest V3 #176
Reply-To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


80-96-list-digest Thursday, June 24 1999 Volume 03 : Number 176



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 80-96 - Roller chain
Re: FTE 80-96 - Full size ttb vs small ttb
FTE 80-96 - IH C1200 Travelall(Sorry!)
RE: FTE 80-96 - IH C1200 Travelall(Sorry!)
RE: FTE 80-96 - Roller chain
FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300
RE: FTE 80-96 - Roller chain
Re: FTE 80-96 - Biggest Tires for my stock '94 F150 4X4??
Re: FTE 80-96 - Buy a '85 F150 or '78
RE:FTE 80-96 - '90 F-150 startup speed
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300
FTE 80-96 - RE: 85 or 78 F-150
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: 85 or 78 F-150
Re: FTE 80-96 - Mileage
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300
Re: FTE 80-96 - Biggest Tires for my stock '94 F150 4X4??
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300
FTE 80-96 - Tranny Problems
Re: FTE 80-96 - Resetting timing--"bump" timing
Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:34:05 -0400
From: "Matt Fitzsimmons"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Roller chain

They weren't standard, but the HO 302s in Mustangs had a roller chain since
'82.

The part number you have there says it's an '83 part. Maybe you have a
Mustang engine or someone has changed the chain already.

Matt


- ----- Original Message -----
From: Blake Malkamaki
To: Ford Truck List
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 1999 11:19 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Roller chain


> Well I got down to the front cover on my 302 today and found it has a Ford
> roller chain part number E3AE-A3A. I was expecting a silent-type chain
with
> a plastic fiber sprocket. This is an 88 302 with fuel injection. There was
> even a cam for a fuel pump on the timing sprocket. Were roller chains
> standard on these?
>
> Blake
> Little Mountain
> Concord, Ohio
> Early Oil Well Historian
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
> Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
> Desktop Publishing service
> "Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:42:37 -0400
From: "Matt Fitzsimmons"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Full size ttb vs small ttb

I've heard this complaint several times, but I've never actually seen it.
If your truck is destroying tires, you have a problem with the front end,
get it fixed. I've owned 6 Fords with twin traction front ends, I regularly
get better than 80,000 km out of a set of (good) tires. My '89 F250 was
starting to cup the front tires, but new shocks, tie rod ends and an
alignment fixed that.
Our '91 Explorer went 100,000 km on the Firestones it came with, then
another 40,000 on the next set before we sold it. It never had any front
end work done.

Matt


- ----- Original Message -----
From: Casey Vandor
To: Ford Truck List
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 12:06 AM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Full size ttb vs small ttb


> Well I can't afford my F-250 anymore :-( I am looking at letting (ahh
> I hate to think of getting rid of it) go of my 3/4 ton and looking for
> a ranger, but I am wondering if they eat tires as bad as the ttb and
> leaf setup on the full size Fords? Mine always did fine, but I have
> seen so many that eat tires in 5,000 miles that it makes me sick. I
> just don't want to end up with a front end nightmare like so many other
> fords.
>
> Thanks
> ===
> Casey Vandor
> "That's the whole problem with science. You've got a bunch of empiricists
trying to describe things of unimaginable wonder." - Calvin (& Hobbes)
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.tripod.com/CaseyV/
> _________________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> >
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:19:20 +0200
From: FXL
Subject: FTE 80-96 - IH C1200 Travelall(Sorry!)

Sorry to break in on another item but you guys seems to know a lot of
everything so lets give this one a try:
We have another project here to restore a IH C1200 1964 Travelall and we
do have problems finding rear panels to this model. Do you happen to
know anything on how to find these parts(and other parts too!). We
prefer to have a pair of new ones if possible. Any piece of advice would
be much appritiated.

Regards,
Gunnar Olsson
Sweden
F250 DSL -91
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:59:07 -0600
From: "Giddens, Scott"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - IH C1200 Travelall(Sorry!)

Ahhh yes, Internationals and I are good drinking buddies and the rust never
sleeps on an International truck! I don't think a pair of used ones exist. I
would still be driving them if they only took the time to rust proof the
sheet metal, otherwise they are very rugged.

I picked up some rear quarters with the moon caps (corners) already attached
here in Colorado at Federal Motors for about 120 bucks each. I saw they are
also available for mail order in the J.C.Whitney catalog for about the same
price but without the moon caps. The quarters I found locally had been
dipped so they would not rust (so they say) and they still rusted a little.
When you find them I suggest drilling a few holes in the places where water
can be trapped at the bottom edge before you paint them. Make sure you paint
the holes and the inside with primer also.

If I had to do it again I might consider just replacing the bottom edges
with aluminum strips riveted to the remaining fender, blending it in with
lead, if the cancer is around the wheel it could be a little tricky unless
you are very good at forming sheet metal.

Good luck,
Scott

- -----Original Message-----
From: FXL [SMTP:ci-12758 mailbox.calypso.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 7:19 AM
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - IH C1200 Travelall(Sorry!)

Sorry to break in on another item but you guys seems to know a lot of
everything so lets give this one a try:
We have another project here to restore a IH C1200 1964 Travelall and we
do have problems finding rear panels to this model. Do you happen to
know anything on how to find these parts(and other parts too!). We
prefer to have a pair of new ones if possible. Any piece of advice would
be much appritiated.

Regards,
Gunnar Olsson
Sweden
F250 DSL -91
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:59:21 -0500
From: "Baldwin, Dave (CPCP Design)"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Roller chain

I think Ford switched truck 302s to the HO block sometime around '88. That
would probably account for this.

Dave Baldwin
Dallas, TX

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Matt Fitzsimmons [mailto:mattfitz idirect.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 7:34 AM
> To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Roller chain
>
>
> They weren't standard, but the HO 302s in Mustangs had a
> roller chain since
> '82.
>
> The part number you have there says it's an '83 part. Maybe
> you have a
> Mustang engine or someone has changed the chain already.
>
> Matt
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Blake Malkamaki
> To: Ford Truck List
> Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 1999 11:19 PM
> Subject: FTE 80-96 - Roller chain
>
>
> > Well I got down to the front cover on my 302 today and
> found it has a Ford
> > roller chain part number E3AE-A3A. I was expecting a
> silent-type chain
> with
> > a plastic fiber sprocket. This is an 88 302 with fuel
> injection. There was
> > even a cam for a fuel pump on the timing sprocket. Were
> roller chains
> > standard on these?
> >
> > Blake
> > Little Mountain
> > Concord, Ohio
> > Early Oil Well Historian
> > http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
> > http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
> > Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
> > Desktop Publishing service
> > "Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."
> >
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and
> posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:25:17 +0000
From: summitds axion.net
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300

I've got a '94 F150 with a 300, and I'm towing a travel trailer. The
power loss going uphill is phenomenal, even though the trailer is
lightweight (3800 lbs. dry). It really starts pinging, and I'm
wondering if there is a problem, or if I just need to modify the
engine to gain some more torque.
I'm no motorhead by any stretch of the imagination, so any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks, Dwayne
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:49:29 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Roller chain

>I think Ford switched truck 302s to the HO block sometime around '88. That
>would probably account for this.
>

I don't think it has ever been apart. If they used the HO block in the
trucks does that mean it should have the roller cam too? I'll find out
shortly when I pull the lifters.

Thanks guys.

Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:53:11 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Biggest Tires for my stock '94 F150 4X4??

>Rules were made to be broken I suppose. Fun, fun, fun. Maybe I'll
>mount them, try them, and if I run into problems, get rims and swap the
>tires to the new rims later. Hmmm...now about that body lift...
>

Like I said, no problem with either combination on the truck or the Bronco.
Actually I plowed snow all winter with the 11.5's on the truck and had over
40 psi of air in them and they were fine. No extra center wear.

As far as body lift, I made a 2" for my 77 Bronco out of heavy wall pipe
that I turned in my lathe and welded washers on both sides to keep the
bolts centered. They worked just fine.


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:58:36 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Buy a '85 F150 or '78

>i kinda have to side with Blake. The 85's arn't really that tough. If
>its in dallas though it not have much rust, but probably poor paint.
>The insurance on a 78 most likely would be cheaper too.
>

I would definately want to repaint rather than fight rust. But none of
these trucks are rare and he should be able to find a good rust free one of
either decade if he looks hard enough and south enough. Texas is a good
choice for no rust, as well as Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina.
Florida has ocean salt problems.

Insurace on my 88 is exactly $10 more than on my 78 for the same liability
coverage.

Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:14:34 +0200
From: "David Anderson (EUS)"
Subject: RE:FTE 80-96 - '90 F-150 startup speed

Mark,
I'm following you now. We're talking about the MAP sensor.
Danny,
When I get time I'm going to try cleaning that Idle Air Control valve and if
that doesn't do it try a new MAP sensor. I'll keep you posted.
David Anderson


>>>The sensor is definitely a vacuum/air presure sensor but it could be that
you don't have one on your model year (I don't know exactly what all the
differences are between MassAirFlow and what ever the other one is). I've
an '88 F150 302. The sensor is a small black box mounted on the firewall
just around the heater fan. Its wired into the electical harness and also
has a vacuum line going to it. ......
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:12:57 -0700
From: Mark Ponsford
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300

What gearing do you have in the rearend?

>I've got a '94 F150 with a 300, and I'm towing a travel trailer. The
>power loss going uphill is phenomenal, even though the trailer is
>lightweight (3800 lbs. dry). It really starts pinging, and I'm
>wondering if there is a problem, or if I just need to modify the
>engine to gain some more torque.
>I'm no motorhead by any stretch of the imagination, so any help would
>be appreciated.
>
>Thanks, Dwayne


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 18:26:07 -0500
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300

This engine is KNOWN for torque. Sounds like things are not working
properly to me, with all that pinging. '94 is new enough that computer
should sense knock and retard spark. I think you need to have it looked at.

At 13:25 23/06/99 +0000, you wrote:
>I've got a '94 F150 with a 300, and I'm towing a travel trailer. The
>power loss going uphill is phenomenal, even though the trailer is
>lightweight (3800 lbs. dry). It really starts pinging, and I'm
>wondering if there is a problem, or if I just need to modify the
>engine to gain some more torque.
>I'm no motorhead by any stretch of the imagination, so any help would
>be appreciated.
>
>Thanks, Dwayne
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
Jim Cannon
Houston, TX
'29 Ford Model A Phaeton
'63 Buick Riviera
'80 Ford F-150
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:28:31 -0700
From: "Radoje Spasojevic"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300

AFAIK the EFI 300 was not equipped with a knock sensor, this is the only way
the computer can "sense" a knock. A solution to the problem might be to try
running high octane fuel or retarding the base timing a little. Of course
headers and a K&N filtercharger wouldn't hurt in the power dept.

Rade
- -----Original Message-----
From: Jim Cannon
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300


>This engine is KNOWN for torque. Sounds like things are not working
>properly to me, with all that pinging. '94 is new enough that computer
>should sense knock and retard spark. I think you need to have it looked at.
>
>At 13:25 23/06/99 +0000, you wrote:
>>I've got a '94 F150 with a 300, and I'm towing a travel trailer. The
>>power loss going uphill is phenomenal, even though the trailer is
>>lightweight (3800 lbs. dry). It really starts pinging, and I'm
>>wondering if there is a problem, or if I just need to modify the
>>engine to gain some more torque.
>>I'm no motorhead by any stretch of the imagination, so any help would
>>be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks, Dwayne
>>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>Jim Cannon
>Houston, TX
>'29 Ford Model A Phaeton
>'63 Buick Riviera
>'80 Ford F-150
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 20:44:49 -0500
From: "Dave Harmier"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: 85 or 78 F-150

My aunt had an approx. '81 F-100 I-6/auto, that never gave any big trouble.
My uncle had an '82 F-150, I-6/4 spd., that REALLY needed a carb.
My neighbor has a '78 I-6/std. that REALLY!!!!!!!! Needs a carb!
I had a '79 F-150 ('til I wadded it ) and I MISS that darn thing!

My take is, the '78 is tougher, and simpler. But a Dallas truck should have
a GREAT body!
So at least get a couple pics of the 85 before you leap!

Dave H.
Houston, TX
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:53:24 -0400
From: "Steve"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300

I 've towed camper trailers up and down huge hills (like Cajon pass in
California) in my '82 with no problems. It had an I6 (300) with only a 2.73
rear and a C6 tranny and it barely lost any speed. That thing could torque
up just about any grade.

Steve

- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 9:25 AM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300


> I've got a '94 F150 with a 300, and I'm towing a travel trailer. The
> power loss going uphill is phenomenal, even though the trailer is
> lightweight (3800 lbs. dry). It really starts pinging, and I'm
> wondering if there is a problem, or if I just need to modify the
> engine to gain some more torque.
> I'm no motorhead by any stretch of the imagination, so any help would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Dwayne
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 20:13:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jo blow
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: 85 or 78 F-150

I am trying to figure out how to get better mpg out of my 93 302. I
know that a Filtercharger helps, but what else? What kind of headers
are best. I/ve heard that droppin the tailgate helps too. Might try
that

- --- Dave Harmier wrote:
> My aunt had an approx. '81 F-100 I-6/auto, that
> never gave any big trouble.
> My uncle had an '82 F-150, I-6/4 spd., that REALLY
> needed a carb.
> My neighbor has a '78 I-6/std. that REALLY!!!!!!!!
> Needs a carb!
> I had a '79 F-150 ('til I wadded it ) and I MISS
> that darn thing!
>
> My take is, the '78 is tougher, and simpler. But a
> Dallas truck should have
> a GREAT body!
> So at least get a couple pics of the 85 before you
> leap!
>
> Dave H.
> Houston, TX
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 20:24:29 -0700
From: "Radoje Spasojevic"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Mileage

I picked up 1-2 MPG just from the Filtercharger, plus another 1 MPG from the
mass-air conversion (but the mass-air conversion is too expensive to buy
just for the mileage). Losing the tailgate will definitely help some, but
trucks just aren't going to get very good mileage no matter what.

Rade
- -----Original Message-----
From: Jo blow
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 8:06 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: 85 or 78 F-150


>I am trying to figure out how to get better mpg out of my 93 302. I
>know that a Filtercharger helps, but what else? What kind of headers
>are best. I/ve heard that droppin the tailgate helps too. Might try
>that
>
>--- Dave Harmier wrote:
>> My aunt had an approx. '81 F-100 I-6/auto, that
>> never gave any big trouble.
>> My uncle had an '82 F-150, I-6/4 spd., that REALLY
>> needed a carb.
>> My neighbor has a '78 I-6/std. that REALLY!!!!!!!!
>> Needs a carb!
>> I had a '79 F-150 ('til I wadded it ) and I MISS
>> that darn thing!
>>
>> My take is, the '78 is tougher, and simpler. But a
>> Dallas truck should have
>> a GREAT body!
>> So at least get a couple pics of the 85 before you
>> leap!
>>
>> Dave H.
>> Houston, TX
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
>> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>
>_________________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
> >
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:25:44 EDT
From: DJ250r aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300

i got a 95 x cab 5 speed I 6 and tow in the summer a 3500 booat n trailer
goes good till i hit a hill , in winter a glamis trailer built out toy box
got to b 5000lbs and agian 2 gear up the pass it sucks ! one more year and
its paid for then no more probs gitin a f 350 4x4 so to sum it up you need a
big er truck !!!!!
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:20:33 -0500
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300

Pinging could be caused by any number of things:

- - overheating (check thermostat)
- - very lean mixture (change fuel filter in last year or 2?)
- - base timing too advanced
- - ignition wires cross-firing (are they new; are they well separated?)
- - partial plugged exhaust (but this usually just results in loss of high
RPM performance)

Good luck. Keep us posted.

At 22:53 23/06/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I 've towed camper trailers up and down huge hills (like Cajon pass in
>California) in my '82 with no problems. It had an I6 (300) with only a 2.73
>rear and a C6 tranny and it barely lost any speed. That thing could torque
>up just about any grade.
>
>Steve
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From:
>To:
>Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 9:25 AM
>Subject: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300
>
>
>> I've got a '94 F150 with a 300, and I'm towing a travel trailer. The
>> power loss going uphill is phenomenal, even though the trailer is
>> lightweight (3800 lbs. dry). It really starts pinging, and I'm
>> wondering if there is a problem, or if I just need to modify the
>> engine to gain some more torque.
>> I'm no motorhead by any stretch of the imagination, so any help would
>> be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Dwayne
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
Jim Cannon
Houston, TX
'29 Ford Model A Phaeton
'63 Buick Riviera
'80 Ford F-150
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:45:04 -0700
From: redmist mb.sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Biggest Tires for my stock '94 F150 4X4??

Blake Malkamaki wrote:

> As far as body lift, I made a 2" for my 77 Bronco out of heavy wall pipe
> that I turned in my lathe and welded washers on both sides to keep the
> bolts centered. They worked just fine.

Never been all that handy. I think I'll stick to the kit if I can avoid
all the nasties like lengthening brake hoses and fuel filler pipes and
what not.

Sheldon Charron
Manitoba, Canada
'94 F150 XLT SC/SB 4x4 302


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:56:44 -0700
From: redmist mb.sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300

Jim Cannon wrote:
>
> This engine is KNOWN for torque. Sounds like things are not working
> properly to me, with all that pinging. '94 is new enough that computer
> should sense knock and retard spark. I think you need to have it looked at.

> >I've got a '94 F150 with a 300, and I'm towing a travel trailer. The
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What is a 300?? I thought Ford only made I6's, 302's, 351's and
diesels. Is this a diesel?

Shel

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:57:50 -0500
From: Rich
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Tranny Problems

I have a 1988 F150 4X2 with a problematic Mazda 5 speed. One minute I'm
shifting fine the next I can't get it in gear. Where can I find repair
info for this thing? Any help would be greatly apreciated.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 02:04:13 EDT
From: JSC721 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Resetting timing--"bump" timing

Hey ,
What do you mean by disconnecting the SPOUT? Do you mean the dummy plug on
the distributor wire?
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 01:10:12 -0700
From: "Radoje Spasojevic"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Need more power for 300

The 300 is an I-6. One of the more durable engines out there.

Rade
....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.