80-96-list-digest Tuesday, March 30 1999 Volume 03 : Number 089



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - Starter
Re: FTE 80-96 - Gorilla locking lug nuts -HELP
FTE 80-96 - Dual Tank Question
RE: FTE 80-96 - Fuel Filter
FTE 80-96 - Re: AllData info
FTE 80-96 - Clutch problem with 88 F150
FTE 80-96 - Some thoughts on Truck purchase???
[none]
Re: FTE 80-96 - Dual Tank Question
Re: FTE 80-96 - Dual Tank Question
FTE 80-96 - power loss...
Re: FTE 80-96 - power loss...
Re: FTE 80-96 - power loss...
FTE 80-96 - Re:
FTE 80-96 - RE: Thoughts on Truck....
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Thoughts on Truck....
Re: FTE 80-96 - Some thoughts on Truck purchase???
Re: FTE 80-96 - power loss...
Re: FTE 80-96 - power loss...

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:47:32 -0500
From: Andre Roy
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Starter

Hi there.

Looks like the starter in my '81 with the 300 six is going south (but
why in the spring? you head south in the fall, maybe it's going north).
Anyway, hit the ignition to the Start position and it will crank the
engine a couple of compressions, then the starter will start to
free-wheel. It takes a bit to get it started. :-(

So, any hints and tips on R&Ring the starter? Or, for that matter, hints
and tips on the cause and possible repairs?

At least it's finally warm enough to work without gloves and most of the
snow is gone.
- --
Andre (crank-crank-whiirrrr, crank-crank-whiirrrr), Somewhere ...
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:36:39 -0600
From: Steve Randa
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Gorilla locking lug nuts -HELP

Yes, a friend of mine has them on his Mustang and complains about them
everytime we go to the track and put on his slicks. Major pain. Why
gorilla thought to make every lug nut a locking nut is beyond me.

Steve Randa
'84 F150

ROB SARTORIUS wrote:
>
> Has anyone heard of gorilla locking lug nuts? I have an 1984 F-150 with 5
> of these on each wheel and I have no "key" for these locking nuts. I bought
> the truck last year (14 months ago) and have not have any problem to check
> the lugs until today when I went to get the tires rotated. Voila ...NO
> KEY
>
> ANY help or advice on how to remove the current "locked" nuts is
> appreciated.
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:56:00 -0500
From: Larry Wiandt
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Dual Tank Question

I have a couple of question about the dual tank option on my 93 F350.

It seems to me that a few months back I saw a post here stating that you
should never switch tanks while the truck is running. I have not been able
to confirm this with the owners manual, which makes me wonder if it is true
or not. Does anyone here know if this is a problem, it would be a real pain
to have to pull off the road and cut off the truck just to switch the tanks.

Also, has anyone ever had a problem with switching tanks and the valve
didn't switch but the fuel gauge did? I have always wondered how I could
confirm that I am actually using the other tank when I switch.

Thanks
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:42:10 -0700
From: "Giddens, Scott"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Fuel Filter

Save your money and go to a Ford dealer and have them change it out for
around 18 bucks. By the time you figure it out and buy the special tool you
could have it done and be over with it. These are not meant to be easy to
replace by the owner. Esp. if you have dual tanks.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From:George Reilly [SMTP:GReilly zoll.com]
Sent:Wednesday, March 24, 1999 8:05 AM
To:Ford Trucks (E-mail)
Subject:FTE 80-96 - Fuel Filter

Help......
Is there a trick to removing the fuel filter on a 93 F150?
I removed the two clips but could not get the fuel lines off.
What am I missing?...a special tool maybe?...

George Reilly
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:29:15 -0800
From: "Bud Dean"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: AllData info

Hi all,

Told Joe I would give info about alldata....

apparently they are sold at k-marts, autozone, other big auto-retailer...ask
for popular mechanics auto repair CD-ROMs...

After you pick up the CD..(app $20.00)you need to call and get the key for
the particular make model. You get a choice of either the manual or TSB's at
no charge...to get the other there is an additional charge of $ 9.95 for the
key.

There is a number 888-968-3494. The lady I spoke with was very helpful. You
can order CD's through them. She said after S&H, the cost is about the same.

Bud Dean


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:43:56 -0800
From: Mark Ponsford
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Clutch problem with 88 F150

I know this has been dealt with on numerous occasions in the past, but I
need a refresher.

My clutch hadn't been workin all that great of late. The problem was slowly
getting worse and worse. When I went to start the engine, I found my self
having to really stand on the clutch pedal in order to get the starter
motor to kickin. (Does anyone know what one can do to defeat that starter
lockout switch on the clutch? I see there are about 6 wires going to it)

Also, when I depressed the clutch and then start to release it, I got this
strange snapping/popping noise coming out from under the dash. It was
getting louder and louder as time went on.

This past weekend I got under the dash with a trouble light and took a look
at the clutch setup. I discovered that the lower mounting bolt for the
master cylinder was moving around when the clutch was pressed and the
firewall sheet metal where the clutch master cylinder bolts on is all
cracked.

I stacked a couple of large washers on the mounting stud and cinched it up.

Problem fixed.

I know there is a special bracket you can get from your friendly
neigbourhood ford dealer to deal with this problem but I am wondering if
it's worth it? How much does ford want for this bracket and does installing
it mean having to take the whole clutch assembly apart? Is the top mounting
bolt prone to cracking as well? Mine looks to be OK.

cheers,

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Ponsford721-7397 or mponsfor uvic.ca


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 12:59:04 -0600
From: "Dave Harmier"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Some thoughts on Truck purchase???

Saw a CHERRY looking 84 F-250 Diesal (6.9)- Auto (almost surely C-6) at a
local lot that ALWAYS has nice looking stuff.....on Friday night....was out
of town sat.

Interior is also very nice, including Dash...has power windows (and locks?)

Have no idea about price or much else yet...will find out more Monday.

Anyone have thoughts?????

I use my truck for fairly heavy duty...at 45-60K miles a year.

I want a new truck of course....but this 84 looks SO FINE....I'm
tempted!!!!!!

Stop me before I do something silly!!!!

Dave H.
Houston, TX
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From: bill jiminez
Subject: [none]

I have an 84 full size ford bronco, its been a good vehicle for quite a
long time. Recently the original 300 cubic inch engine went out, so we
rebuilt it using a customer racing cam. I decided to stick with the
original 300 setup because it has been a bulletproof engine for me. I
am in the middle of adding 35 12.50 tires onto it, but have got to come
up with some more horsepower. I was looking at upgrading the stock
single barallel carter carb and stock manifold. I was thinking about
upgrading to either a 2 barallel or a 4 barallel setup as well as a new
customer intake manifold. I need to know some pro's and con's about
doing this, as well as recommendations of manufacturers that produce a
carb and intake setup for the ford 300 that meets the requirements I
spoke of earlier, part number would be appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance,
BillJ
_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:53:10 EST
From: Bromfed1 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Dual Tank Question

I have a 96 F150, and when I bought it I asked if I could switch tanks on the
fly, and I was told yes. I have never had any problems yet...
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:07:32 EST
From: ROlson1039 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Dual Tank Question

my 1989 has the dual tanks and i also switch tanks while driving ( sometimes
even while choking out of gas) and i ave never had a problem with the system
that hasnt existed since ive owned the truck LOL
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:26:58 -0800 (PST)
From: shy anne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - power loss...

A few days ago I wrote about my truck loosing power. I drove a few
days later and it completely died on me. So, after having a friend
tow it home for me, my dad took the alernater to the place he bought
it, they checked it, and gave us a new one. After putting the new
alternater in and charging the battery, the truck started fine, but
the needle on the battery gage was still pointing towards Discharge.
It's just barely below normal but it's still below. When I turn the
headlights or a/c on it gets a lot lower. now what?
Thanks
Shy-anne




==
- -"God forbid I shall go to any heaven where there are no horses."



_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:31:25 EST
From: ROlson1039 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - power loss...

better have the charging system checked ya could have a bad regulator
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:44:32 -0600
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - power loss...

While the battery still has a charge, drive it, with the lights and all
other accessories off, down to a good automotive electrical shop to test
out the charging system. There are not too many choices here for things to
be bad... alternator (this new one may also be bad), voltage regulator, and
???

At 18:26 29/03/99 -0800, you wrote:
>A few days ago I wrote about my truck loosing power. I drove a few
>days later and it completely died on me. So, after having a friend
>tow it home for me, my dad took the alernater to the place he bought
>it, they checked it, and gave us a new one. After putting the new
>alternater in and charging the battery, the truck started fine, but
>the needle on the battery gage was still pointing towards Discharge.
>It's just barely below normal but it's still below. When I turn the
>headlights or a/c on it gets a lot lower. now what?
>Thanks
>Shy-anne
>
>
>
>
>==
>-"God forbid I shall go to any heaven where there are no horses."
>
>
>
>_________________________________________________________
>DO YOU YAHOO!?
> >
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
Jim Cannon
Houston, TX
'29 Ford Model A Phaeton
'63 Buick Riviera
'80 Ford F-150
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:42:09 -0600
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re:

Check out Clifford Performance:

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.cliffordperformance.com/

They specialize in ways to make a 6 cyl. engine perform better than most 8
cyl engines.

At 15:40 29/03/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I have an 84 full size ford bronco, its been a good vehicle for quite a
>long time. Recently the original 300 cubic inch engine went out, so we
>rebuilt it using a customer racing cam. I decided to stick with the
>original 300 setup because it has been a bulletproof engine for me. I
>am in the middle of adding 35 12.50 tires onto it, but have got to come
>up with some more horsepower. I was looking at upgrading the stock
>single barallel carter carb and stock manifold. I was thinking about
>upgrading to either a 2 barallel or a 4 barallel setup as well as a new
>customer intake manifold. I need to know some pro's and con's about
>doing this, as well as recommendations of manufacturers that produce a
>carb and intake setup for the ford 300 that meets the requirements I
>spoke of earlier, part number would be appreciated as well.
>Thanks in advance,
>BillJ
>_________________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
> >
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
Jim Cannon
Houston, TX
'29 Ford Model A Phaeton
'63 Buick Riviera
'80 Ford F-150
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:58:57 -0600
From: "Dave Harmier"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: Thoughts on Truck....

OK Barnaby Duncan, I hear what you said!

Today the weather was too crappy to go give her a serious look!

If the mileage is as nice as the thing looks however....I'm buying!!!!

Only drawback I know of so far, is it has not one but two spotlights,
A-Pillar mounted, and chrome (but pretty!)

I haven't a scanner, but if I get her, I WILL have a pic to show!!!!

Anyone else????

Dave "Snafu" H.
dharmier NOSPAM.gte.net
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:05:45 -0600
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Thoughts on Truck....

Dave-
I'm in Houston and I'd like to see it if you get it. Sounds great! We can
meet for a cold one some afternoon.

At 21:58 29/03/99 -0600, you wrote:
>OK Barnaby Duncan, I hear what you said!
>
>Today the weather was too crappy to go give her a serious look!

AMEN!


>
>If the mileage is as nice as the thing looks however....I'm buying!!!!
>
>Only drawback I know of so far, is it has not one but two spotlights,
>A-Pillar mounted, and chrome (but pretty!)
>
>I haven't a scanner, but if I get her, I WILL have a pic to show!!!!
>

Jim Cannon
Houston, TX
'29 Ford Model A Phaeton
'63 Buick Riviera
'80 Ford F-150
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:37:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Alan Alquist
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Some thoughts on Truck purchase???

I have a 86, F250, 6.9L dsl, 4X2, extended cab, XLT Lariat; it is a cherry
as well. A versatile, easy-operating beauty. My kids love the ext
cab, my wife thinks ut floats like a Cadillac and it pulls like a
monster!!

...I've had great luck to 135K.

On
Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Dave Harmier wrote:

Saw a CHERRY looking 84 F-250 Diesal (6.9)- Auto (almost surely C-6) at a
local lot that ALWAYS has nice looking stuff.....on Friday night....was out
of town sat.

Interior is also very nice, including Dash...has power windows (and locks?)

Have no idea about price or much else yet...will find out more Monday.

Anyone have thoughts?????

I use my truck for fairly heavy duty...at 45-60K miles a year.

I want a new truck of course....but this 84 looks SO FINE....I'm
tempted!!!!!!

Stop me before I do something silly!!!!

Dave H.
Houston, TX
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


Univ of Wash; Research Scientist
1959 NE Pacific St; Rehab Med; Box 356490
Seattle, WA 98195-6490
206-685-7313(Off)206-685-3244(Fax) 206-994-1450(Page)
flag u.washington.edu


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:42:38 -0500
From: "Steve"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - power loss...

>At 18:26 29/03/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>A few days ago I wrote about my truck loosing power. I drove a few
>>days later and it completely died on me. So, after having a friend
>>tow it home for me, my dad took the alernater to the place he bought
>>it, they checked it, and gave us a new one. After putting the new
>>alternater in and charging the battery, the truck started fine, but
>>the needle on the battery gage was still pointing towards Discharge.
>>It's just barely below normal but it's still below. When I turn the
>>headlights or a/c on it gets a lot lower. now what?
>>Thanks
>>Shy-anne
>>

Don't forget to check the belt for wear! It could be acting like an
underdrive pulley if worn and sunk into the v. If your running serpentine,
then I'm not quite sure what to look for.

Steve

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 00:00:05 -0000
From: "Radoje Spasojevic"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - power loss...

I would get the battery tested, even if the alternator is charging properly,
the battery might not be accepting a charge. Another thing to check would
be the wiring from the alternator and the battery to check for a worn wire
or lose connection.

Rade
- -----Original Message-----
From: shy anne
To: ford maillist
Date: Tuesday, March 30, 1999 4:09 AM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - power loss...


>A few days ago I wrote about my truck loosing power. I drove a few
>days later and it completely died on me. So, after having a friend
>tow it home for me, my dad took the alernater to the place he bought
>it, they checked it, and gave us a new one. After putting the new
>alternater in and charging the battery, the truck started fine, but
>the needle on the battery gage was still pointing towards Discharge.....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.