80-96-list-digest Wednesday, February 3 1999 Volume 03 : Number 030



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - Wish I had a truck
FTE 80-96 - RE: Speedometer Calibration
FTE 80-96 - '93 F150 5L (302) error code trouble
Re: FTE 80-96 - '93 F150 5L (302) error code trouble
FTE 80-96 - 460
FTE 80-96 - Dist. test
FTE 80-96 - RE: speedo calibration
FTE 80-96 - RE: choked to death
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Speedometer Calibration
Re: FTE 80-96 - '93 F150 5L (302) error code trouble
RE: FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: 1 Million visitors
Re: FTE 80-96 - bad crank bearings in 351
RE: FTE 80-96 - Help! rainy day 460
Re: FTE 80-96 - Help! rainy day 460
RE: FTE 80-96 - Help! rainy day 460
Re: FTE 80-96 - New (To Me) Truck, Minor Problems
FTE 80-96 - RE: Ranger Pinging
Re: FTE 80-96 - New (To Me) Truck, Minor Problems
FTE 80-96 - Manual hubs
Re: FTE 80-96 - Rear Main, oil pan gasket
FTE 80-96 - cruise control
Re: FTE 80-96 - cruise control

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:18:07 PST
From: "Scottie Schmidt"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Wish I had a truck

Did some work on the farm wish I had a truck to use!!
Scottie Schmidt


______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 08:43:49 -0500
From: "Golly, Scott M"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: Speedometer Calibration

List members,

I had my F-150 re-calibrated recently for a 33" X 12.5 tires and 4.10:1
ratio rear. The most accurate is to play around with the equations on
4LO.com and purchase the gears. The gears are placed in the top of the
transmission where the speedometer cable goes into the transmission. The
gear simply replaces the stock cable gear. I had mine done (Rare) so I
can't give you much more information. It wasn't expensive, that is why I
had it done. I could not locate an electronic module. I have been told by
just about everyone that those are only available for GM.

I hope this helps,
Scott M. Golly
Researcher/Fire Protection Engineer
_______________________________________________________________
Date:Mon, 1 Feb 1999 06:44:00 -0600
From:"Gourde, Darrin"
dgourde casecorp.com>
Subject:FTE 80-96 - Speedometer Calibration

Can somebody tell me how to calibrate the speedometer for larger diameter
tires on 1992 and up F150s? If this was answered in the past I missed it.
Thanks
Darrin
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 06:34:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike Schilder
Subject: FTE 80-96 - '93 F150 5L (302) error code trouble

Please help! The engine in my '93 F150, 5 liter is running badly. It
has 48K miles. Anyone have an idea how to trouble shoot the following
error codes:

KOEO, #33 EGR valve opening not detected
KOER, #311 Thermactor air system inoperative

Could these codes be related?

Where is the "Thermactor Air System"?

Has anyone used the AllData CD's. Was it useful?


Thanks in advance,
Mike

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 10:32:00 -0500
From: Andre Roy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - '93 F150 5L (302) error code trouble

Mike Schilder wrote:
>
> Please help! The engine in my '93 F150, 5 liter is running badly.
>

> KOEO, #33 EGR valve opening not detected
>
EGR valve is bad or whatever it is that senses EGR operation isn't
working properly or some of the hosing, piping and whatnot is
broken/rusted/missing/foozled.

> KOER, #311 Thermactor air system inoperative
>
Does this truck have an air pump? Is it operative?

> Could these codes be related?
>
Possibly. EGR=Exaust Gas Recirculation

> Where is the "Thermactor Air System"?
>
In the exaust. Should sort of look like a cataclismic perverter, fresh
air is fed to it along with exaust gases which oxydizes unburned
Hydrocarbons and finishes the combustion of CO to CO2.

You wouldn't have happened to just put headers on it, would you?

> Has anyone used the AllData CD's. Was it useful?
>
I've seen them, but not used them. The one I saw was for the GM J-Bodies
(Cadavalier etc). It seems quite complete though some of the tables with
specs can be hard to read. They get these tables from another source
(name escapes me) and scan them in. They are in the process of fixing
the legibility problems. All this according to unofficial sources that
work at AllDate. Like factory manuals, though, they aren't great on
trouble shooting, but good on how to replace parts and what torque specs
and such to use. They are also seriously cheaper than the Factory
Manuals.
- --
Andre
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:29:55 -0500
From: am14 daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 460

Metalsped writes: >>so does anyone know where I can get a new 460 from. I
don't want a remanufactured one.

Try the Parts counter at your local Ford dealer. I know of no other place to
purchase NEW FOMOCO parts.

Azie
Ardmore, Al.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:34:01 -0500
From: am14 daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Dist. test

Bart-AK writes: >>One word of warning, Don't check the distributor
vacuum advance at the dist. with this, trust me.

Naw - You really didn't did you????

Azie
Ardmore, Al.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:37:52 -0900
From: "L WALTERS"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: speedo calibration

Any driveline shop can sell you an adaptor to change the speedo reading, it
looks like a mini transfer case. I think they run about $40.
Bart-AK

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:48:32 -0900
From: "L WALTERS"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: choked to death

Here's the problem:
When cold, the engine fires right up and runs fine for several blocks of
driving and idling. After the engine temp starts warming up, it dies at idle
but will restart easily. Once the engine is completely warm, it runs fine.
The dying only occurs at idle but you can feel the engine being starved
during this phase of warmup. Especially when I let off the gas to coast.
- ----


Sounds like icing or pull-off is bad. With your "Mighty Vac" check the choke
pull-off for proper operation, while your at it check EGR , Heatriser motor
(in the snout of the aircleaner) and anything else that looks like it works
off of vacuum. (kinda fun)
What?! you don't own a vacuum pump? A very handy tool for every
do-it-yourselfer.
Bart-AK

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:42:27 EST
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Speedometer Calibration

In a message dated 2/2/99 8:47:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gollys BATTELLE.ORG writes:


just about everyone that those are only available for GM. >>

I hate to say your info is incorrect but I will. Interactive Technologies out
of Canton, GA has a calibrator for Ford. They can be contacted
at(800-820-1082/770-720-1259/Fax 770-720-1249). It is a plug in module that
hooks into the speed sensor in either the rear end or the trans. harness. You
can see their ads in Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford, Super Ford, 5.0 and others.
Later,
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside Supercab
Wayne's Flareside Page
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:46:40 EST
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - '93 F150 5L (302) error code trouble

In a message dated 2/2/99 9:37:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, mikeschi yahoo.com
writes:


has 48,000 miles. Anyone have an idea how to trouble shoot the following
error codes:

KOEO, #33 EGR valve opening not detected
KOER, #311 Thermactor air system inoperative

Could these codes be related?
>>
Yes Mike they are related. If the EGR isn't opening and closing properly then
the Thermactor system cant function. I would suggest either checking all the
connections to the EGR and all of the surrounding Vacuum lines. Then if that
doesn't work I would pull the EGR and clean it thoroughly with sensor safe
carb cleaner. I had mine do close to the same thing. After cleaned it out it
worked great.
Hope this helps,
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside Supercab
Wayne's Flareside Page
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:59:55 -0700
From: "Giddens, Scott"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: 1 Million visitors

Ken,

What, no prize to the one millionth customer? Not even a T-shirt?
Who was it anyway? Or do you keep track?

Scott

Ken Payne Wrote:
> Its official! Just compiled the January logs and we
> had our one millionth visitor to the Ford Truck
> Enthusiasts web site late in the month.
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 19:21:42 EST
From: Bakend aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - bad crank bearings in 351

In a message dated 2/1/99 10:56:57 PM Mountain Standard Time, m_hep yahoo.com
writes:

>
> I have a 351 in a F-350 with noisy crank bearings at 40 -45 mph or
> higher. Does anyone have a semi-educated to educated guess how many
> miles I might get out of this engine if I run it less than 40 - 45 mph?
>
Might get a couple hundred thousand miles or might get a couple miles! I ran
one for a long time with noisey bearings and sold it still knockin after 100K
miles.
D Baken
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:18:57 -0600
From: "Anthony Rio"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Help! rainy day 460

I had the same thing on my 94 F150 I6 last week. I sprayed WD-40 on the cap
and wires, and thattook care of the problem short term (got me home). Next
morning (saturday) the problem was back, so I replaced cap, rotor, wires,
and plugs... the problem has not resurfaced.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mike Sloane
> Sent: Sunday, January 24, 1999 6:14 AM
> To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Help! rainy day 460
>
>
> It is much more likely that you have a cracked distributor cap
> and water is
> getting in to the crack and causing a short. Try drying out the cap with
> alcohol or warming it in the oven (without the wires and at the lowest
> temperature possible). It could also be a bad spark plug wire or even a
> dirty spark plug insulator. This is where listening for that "tick, tick,
> tick" of a spark jumping or running at night and looking for the little
> spark can help.
>
> Mike
>
> At 03:28 PM 1/23/99 EST, you wrote:
> >I own a '89 F-350 w/ a 460. When it rains, I seem to lose a
> cylinder and the
> >engine sputters. I was told by a buddy of mine that I might have a vacuum
> leak
> >somewhere and it is pulling the moisture in. I don't know. Any
> information
> >would be helpful.
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> Mike Sloane, Allamuchy NJ
> (msloane att.net)
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:05:44 -0800
From: Annette Arno
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Help! rainy day 460

Iam wondering if you could help me find out a current price value on a F350,
460, 7.5 litre, Centurion Conversion, it looks like a 4door Bronco, fully
loaded, in great shape, has several exterior extras, visor, brush guard, step
bars, tinted windows, very clean sharp truck, that only a few were made. I
cannot get any info on this truck, I bought it back in November, it has 95,000
actual miles. Any direction you could give would be much appreiciated. Thanks,

Anthony Rio wrote:

> I had the same thing on my 94 F150 I6 last week. I sprayed WD-40 on the cap
> and wires, and thattook care of the problem short term (got me home). Next
> morning (saturday) the problem was back, so I replaced cap, rotor, wires,
> and plugs... the problem has not resurfaced.
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> > [mailto:owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mike Sloane
> > Sent: Sunday, January 24, 1999 6:14 AM
> > To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> > Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Help! rainy day 460
> >
> >
> > It is much more likely that you have a cracked distributor cap
> > and water is
> > getting in to the crack and causing a short. Try drying out the cap with
> > alcohol or warming it in the oven (without the wires and at the lowest
> > temperature possible). It could also be a bad spark plug wire or even a
> > dirty spark plug insulator. This is where listening for that "tick, tick,
> > tick" of a spark jumping or running at night and looking for the little
> > spark can help.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > At 03:28 PM 1/23/99 EST, you wrote:
> > >I own a '89 F-350 w/ a 460. When it rains, I seem to lose a
> > cylinder and the
> > >engine sputters. I was told by a buddy of mine that I might have a vacuum
> > leak
> > >somewhere and it is pulling the moisture in. I don't know. Any
> > information
> > >would be helpful.
> > >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> > >
> > Mike Sloane, Allamuchy NJ
> > (msloane att.net)
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:39:03 -0600
From: "Anthony Rio"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Help! rainy day 460

You may want to try kbb.com (kelly blue book online) This would at least
put you within a reasonable ballpark. When I ran an '89 F350 2x4 Crew cab
long bed with no extras. It came back at a hair under 9k (retail from a
dealer. Probably be more with all your add-ons and conversion...

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Annette Arno
> Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 1999 12:06 AM
> To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Help! rainy day 460
>
>
> Iam wondering if you could help me find out a current price value
> on a F350,
> 460, 7.5 litre, Centurion Conversion, it looks like a 4door Bronco, fully
> loaded, in great shape, has several exterior extras, visor, brush
> guard, step
> bars, tinted windows, very clean sharp truck, that only a few were made. I
> cannot get any info on this truck, I bought it back in November,
> it has 95,000
> actual miles. Any direction you could give would be much
> appreiciated. Thanks,
>
> Anthony Rio wrote:
>
> > I had the same thing on my 94 F150 I6 last week. I sprayed
> WD-40 on the cap
> > and wires, and thattook care of the problem short term (got me
> home). Next
> > morning (saturday) the problem was back, so I replaced cap,
> rotor, wires,
> > and plugs... the problem has not resurfaced.
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> > > [mailto:owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mike Sloane
> > > Sent: Sunday, January 24, 1999 6:14 AM
> > > To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> > > Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Help! rainy day 460
> > >
> > >
> > > It is much more likely that you have a cracked distributor cap
> > > and water is
> > > getting in to the crack and causing a short. Try drying out
> the cap with
> > > alcohol or warming it in the oven (without the wires and at the lowest
> > > temperature possible). It could also be a bad spark plug wire
> or even a
> > > dirty spark plug insulator. This is where listening for that
> "tick, tick,
> > > tick" of a spark jumping or running at night and looking for
> the little
> > > spark can help.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >
> > > At 03:28 PM 1/23/99 EST, you wrote:
> > > >I own a '89 F-350 w/ a 460. When it rains, I seem to lose a
> > > cylinder and the
> > > >engine sputters. I was told by a buddy of mine that I might
> have a vacuum
> > > leak
> > > >somewhere and it is pulling the moisture in. I don't know. Any
> > > information
> > > >would be helpful.
> > > >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> > > >
> > > Mike Sloane,
> Allamuchy NJ
> > > (msloane att.net)
> > >
> > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> > >
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe
> and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 19:43:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Arthur Dembinski
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - New (To Me) Truck, Minor Problems

I've had a similar problem with my '83 6.9 L diesel, but it's
intermittent, both gauges go past F and the temp gauge rises fairly
high, but there is no overheating. It happens only in warm weather,
never in winter. It's been happening since 1984. My dashboard is
cracked right over the gauge position, due to my discovery that I can
also temporarily fix the problem by thumping the dash with my right
fist. Everything returns to normal. Must be a wiring or voltage
problem in the dash, which I haven't bothered to fix.




_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:31:19 -0600
From: "Dave Harmier"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: Ranger Pinging

My 92 F-150 did it too. Especially when I needed torque and horsepower.
Just on a whim, I rerouted my plug wires...as far apart as I could get
them....NO MORE PING!!!

I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

Dave H.
dharmier gte.net

>Subject: FTE 80-96 - ranger pinging

>I have a strange (to me anyway) problem with my 91 Ranger. It pings badly
>in 5th gear (bad enough that the truck vibrates enough to make your teeth
>chatter), but not consistently. I am wondering if it is gasoline or dirt
in
>the fuel. It does seem to improve with a new tank of higher octane fuel.
>It's hard to tell because it may only do it for a minute or so, or like
>yesterday, it may not want to drive in 5th gear at all. It does not occur
>in any other gear. Could it be a transmission problem? or perhaps some
>communication between the computer and transmission?
>with boundless ignorance:
>Ralph ward

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 20:44:27 -0800
From: Paul Laughlin
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - New (To Me) Truck, Minor Problems

Arthur Dembinski wrote:
>
> I've had a similar problem with my '83 6.9 L diesel, but it's
> intermittent, both gauges go past F and the temp gauge rises fairly
> high, but there is no overheating.

This sounds like an intermittent voltage regulator on the instrument
panel. Does the oil pressure also read high? I have had a similar
problem on my '87 E350 van.
Paul in Portland OR
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 20:57:00 -0800
From: Dana Bartholomew
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Manual hubs

I'd like to replace my auto hubs with a set of manuals on my 1993 F350.
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations between Warn and
Superwinch, or others.

Dana B
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 00:12:19 -0500
From: Randy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Rear Main, oil pan gasket

Geoff,
I suppose you could take a set of torches to the front crossmember...
Just kidding. With the crank hanging down you don't really have a
choice here. Even moving the tranny back would only help slightly, but
not wholly. You don't have to go bananas with disconnecting things when
you lift the engine. Drop the 'Y' pipe and unbolt the motor mounts.
Have someone checking all around to make sure you don't over-extend any
hoses or wires while lifting up on the engine.

Later,
Brew

Geoffrey Schrag wrote:
>
> -Still have my Bronco apart, but I'm making progress!
> Wondering if anyone knows if there's any way to get the oil pan off and get
> at the rear main seal without lifting the engine. It doesn't look like
> there is enough clearance? It doesn't look like the rear main is leaking
> badly, but thought I'd replace it while I have a lot of other things taken
> off. It does look like the oil pan gasket needs to be replaced.
>
> Geof Schrag
> 1980 Bronco
> 351M, 4sp
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 23:44:39 -0600
From: "Harris, Scott"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - cruise control

Has anyone had any experience with cruise control problems? My '85 F150's
just quit one day. Checked all the connection, electrical and vacuum, but
can't find any causes. After-market manuals just say check those but leave
the guts to the dealer due to the detail of the system. Never have been
able to find a fuse for it either.

Scott Harris
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:03:11 -0800
From: Dana Bartholomew
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - cruise control....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.