80-96-list-digest Saturday, June 12 1999 Volume 03 : Number 164



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - Steering wheel glove?
FTE 80-96 - FM steps!
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC
RE: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC
FTE 80-96 - RE:Converting rear brakes from drum to disc in a Bronco
FTE 80-96 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Testing
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC
FTE 80-96 - Best Wax
FTE 80-96 - Ch***
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC
FTE 80-96 - RE: Best Wax
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC
Re: FTE 80-96 - Fans
Re: FTE 80-96 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Testing
RE: FTE 80-96 - Fans
FTE 80-96 - Transmission interchangability
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
RE: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC
FTE 80-96 - Best wax
Re: FTE 80-96 - Best wax
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
Re: FTE 80-96 - Fans
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
FTE 80-96 - vehicle weight
FTE 80-96 - How 2 unstick frozen heat riser in exhaust manifold?
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
Re: FTE 80-96 - FM steps!
Re: FTE 80-96 - vehicle weight
Re: FTE 80-96 - Fans
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking
FTE 80-96 - Lockup "off" switch
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Best Wax
Re: FTE 80-96 - waxing

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:09:12 +0200
From: FXL
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Steering wheel glove?

Hi folks!
91 F250 DLS Lariat XLT. Any hints on what to do with a worn out steering
wheel glove?
Gunnar
Sweden
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:15:25 +0200
From: FXL
Subject: FTE 80-96 - FM steps!

Hi again!
I have a original Ford radio in my 91 F250 XLT Lariat.
It steps 90.1 90.3 90.5 90.7 90.9 etc
The European way is 90.1 90.2 90.3 90.4 etc.
Any hints on how this could be modified?
OK, buy a new one but I like to keep thew original one...
Regards,
Gunnar
Sweden
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:29:04 EDT
From: ACMERCG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

In a message dated 06/11/1999 2:53:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Lwskywalk AOL.com writes:


shaft off, unbolt tranny, slide back, loosen all bolts on pan and make sure
you line it up correctly and do not over tighten the bolts when reinstallin
>>
Luke, did you take off the oil pan completely? or did you just drop the
pickup and snake the new gasket around the space in the pan? I also have the
t-case to deal with...but right now I'm having brake problems too....

Joe
Lost in jersey
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:42:10 EDT
From: ACMERCG aol.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC

Yesterday on my way to work, I lost nearly all pedal pressure for my brakes,
like a seal in the Master had let go. I would have very little brakes until
I got to the very end of the pedal travel, and then I would have more, but
not all pressure to stop the truck. So I picked up a master while I was at
work and put it in when I got home. After bleeding, I had a hard pedal
again. That lasted until I got out of the driveway. Now it's back to the
same problem as yesterday, no pedal. So anyone have any ideas? No lines
are leaking, no wheel cylinders are leaking. Anything else I should check?

Later...

joe
lost in Jersey
92 F150 Nite 4x4 302/AOD
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:22:44 -0700
From: Eric Sneed
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC

Did you remove the hubs and look at the wheel cylinders? I ask because I
had the same problem and when I removed the passenger side hub, the
adjusting bracket(plate) and spring fell out on the ground. this was a
five dollar fix.

ES

> -----Original Message-----
> From:ACMERCG aol.com [SMTP:ACMERCG aol.com]
> Sent:Friday, June 11, 1999 7:42 AM
> To:80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject:FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC
>
> Yesterday on my way to work, I lost nearly all pedal pressure for my
> brakes,
> like a seal in the Master had let go. I would have very little brakes
> until
> I got to the very end of the pedal travel, and then I would have more,
> but
> not all pressure to stop the truck. So I picked up a master while I
> was at
> work and put it in when I got home. After bleeding, I had a hard
> pedal
> again. That lasted until I got out of the driveway. Now it's back to
> the
> same problem as yesterday, no pedal. So anyone have any ideas? No
> lines
> are leaking, no wheel cylinders are leaking. Anything else I should
> check?
>
> Later...
>
> joe
> lost in Jersey
> 92 F150 Nite 4x4 302/AOD
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:03:52 -0500
From: "Steve Hansen"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE:Converting rear brakes from drum to disc in a Bronco

I was thinking of putting disk brakes on the ford 9" for my F-1 I am
building. In one of the classic truck's magazine it mentioned the fact: Most
of the conversion kits don't have a emergency brake hooked to them. Some
people put a pressure locking valve on the rear brake line, but federal law
says that the emergency brake system should be mechanical, for reasons we
all understand. There was one kit they were installing that had the correct
set-up, but it was 600-800 dollars, so I'm sticking with stock set up.
Something to think about.
Steve
50 F-1
92 F-250

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:45:15 -0700
From: "Mark Behling"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Testing

>Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:40:41 -0700
>From: Mike Mueller
>Subject: FTE 80-96 - re: Whats with my T.P.S.?



>As it turns out, my Fuel Pressure Regulator was allowing over 100 Psi.
>to be at the injectors. The stock spec is somewhere around 20 Psi. I
>got fed up and need to get the truck back to working so I paid the
>dealer 90 for a diagnostic. They pinpointed the problem quickly. The
>last thing I want to do is take it to the dealer, or any mechanic, but
>if it was one of the lil black boxes, or senders, or gizmos instead of
>me replacing them all I was hoping they could cut it to the quick. The
>part was $65 and went in in less than an hour. I blew out all the soot
>on the freeway onramps and now it runs great! Hope this helps!

>Later-
>Mike Mueller

I'm wondering if this something you could do yourself? Anybody know how to do this
procedure and how much it would cost for the tool? I'm having a bit of an idle surge
also, but don't want to go to the $$$$$.

Mark
'96 F150 I6 5spd


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:19:20 EDT
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC

Joe,
have you checked for vacuum leaks in the line to the power booster from the
upper manifold? It may be your booster that has gone, not the master cylinder.
later
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside SC
"Hazardous Material"
Wayne's Page
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:48:02 -0500
From: "Pete Kraus"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Best Wax

Steve Hansen's experience with DRI-WASH'n GUARD prompts me to comment.
I've used the product successfully for a few years now, though initially
I was dubious. It might not satisfy the "let's detail the engine
compartment with a toothbrush" crowd, but I'm not that fanatical about a
vehicle's appearance.. Mine are presentable, they shine and there seems
to be no long-term damage to paint.

One huge caution about spraying the mist. If it gets into cracks,
crevices and textured plastic surfaces, it is almost impossible to
remove. You will not like the random pattern of tiny milky-looking dots
that refuses to go away. Better to spray the product into the terry
cloth and rub gently into the surface for all but the largest metal
panels (also does well on fiberglass).

Pete
Pete_Kraus emory.org
'89 F250 4x4 Diesel

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:26:12 -0700
From: "J.S.H."
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Ch***

"Trying to figure out what to do for our street machine
'81 El Camino (yeah a darn Cheby)"


5 gallons of gas and a match ought to fix it.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:37:33 EDT
From: ACMERCG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC

In a message dated 06/11/1999 1:22:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
FLR150 aol.com writes:


have you checked for vacuum leaks in the line to the power booster from the
upper manifold? It may be your booster that has gone, not the master
cylinder.
later >>
yeah, I checked that already, but if the booster was gone, there would be no
power brakes, in which case the pedal would be hard as a rock, and you still
wouldn't be able to stop, because you would have the same line pressure as
you would with the faulty master. I have bled the brakes and the master
again, and still the same problem. I am hesitant on buying a new master,
because that may not be the problem, but what else could be the prob????? I
am at wits end..........

Joe
Lost in jersey
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:38:19 +0200
From: "David Anderson (EUS)"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: Best Wax

During this thread we've gotten a lot of good input for modern clearcoat
finishes. I've got another question though. My truck is a 90 with that
popular slightly off-white color and no clearcoat. The paint's in good
shape and I try and wax twice a year, but it is a BIG job. I've been using
NU-Finish liquid that I like 'cause it lasts a long time. What I'm looking
for is some spray (or easy on) miracle stuff that has some cleaning ability
(not abrasive) with the wax. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
David Anderson
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:04:26 -0400
From: "Steve"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

I just loosened the motor and tranny mounts, raised the engine about 4" and
blocked it with a 4X4, dropped the pan completely out, put on my one piece
gasket on the engine (used black RTV to hold it in place, needs to sit for
about 10 minutes), then put the pan back on.

Steve

- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 11:01 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking


> Anyone have any tricks how to change this gasket? Any shortcuts would be
a
> great help. I'm going to put in a 1 piece neoprene job from Fel Pro.
>
> Joe
> Lost in Jersey
> 92 F-150 4x4 302/AOD
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:08:18 EDT
From: ACMERCG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC

In a message dated 06/11/1999 3:39:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ACMERCG aol.com writes:


because that may not be the problem, but what else could be the prob?????
I
am at wits end..........

Joe >>
try this on for size.... A friend told me to inspect the drums and wheel
cylinders carefully, just for fun, even though I saw no leaks. So I pull the
DSR tire and drum off and what do I find? The Adjuster falls out, and the
adjuster spring was loose- the source of my low pressure problem. Put it all
back together and BAM!!! Nice hard pedal thanks to the new master and brake
fluid... Live and learn, check the little things first before you start
replacing things.

And on tomorrow's show, How to change an oil pan gasket!!!!

Thanks for everyone's help,

Joe
Lost in jersey
92 F-150 Nite
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:11:40 -0400
From: "Steve"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Fans

I put twin electric fans on the front of my 351W after I swapped out my 300
I6. We just drove in 100+ heat the last couple of days and though it ran a
little hotter than what I would have liked, the temp never rose much higher
than half way up the gauge. It's a slick, neat set up that really cleans up
the front of the engine. It also hooks into the A/C so that it will turn on
when the A/C kicks in.

Steve

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Harmier
To:
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 1999 11:15 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Fans


> Any experience, or opinions, on electric, or flex fans,
> as opposed to the plain old clutch fan???
>
> Trying to figure out what to do for our street machine
> '81 El Camino (yeah a darn Cheby)
>
> For Ford content, My '92 is stopping better than ever
> these days. Lubing those slide points, and replacing rear
> shoes was what the doctor ordered!!!!
>
> Dave H.
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:17:01 -0700
From: Bob Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Testing

The on one the Driver Side of the Fuel Rail can be removed w/ Allen Wrenches, you'll
need to lift the rail up and twist it a little counterclock wise to get at the screws.

Bob


Mark Behling wrote:

> >Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:40:41 -0700
> >From: Mike Mueller
> >Subject: FTE 80-96 - re: Whats with my T.P.S.?
>
> >As it turns out, my Fuel Pressure Regulator was allowing over 100 Psi.
> >to be at the injectors. The stock spec is somewhere around 20 Psi. I
> >got fed up and need to get the truck back to working so I paid the
> >dealer 90 for a diagnostic. They pinpointed the problem quickly. The
> >last thing I want to do is take it to the dealer, or any mechanic, but
> >if it was one of the lil black boxes, or senders, or gizmos instead of
> >me replacing them all I was hoping they could cut it to the quick. The
> >part was $65 and went in in less than an hour. I blew out all the soot
> >on the freeway onramps and now it runs great! Hope this helps!
>
> >Later-
> >Mike Mueller
>
> I'm wondering if this something you could do yourself? Anybody know how to do this
> procedure and how much it would cost for the tool? I'm having a bit of an idle surge
> also, but don't want to go to the $$$$$.
>
> Mark
> '96 F150 I6 5spd
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:29:20 -0500
From: "Baldwin, Dave (CPCP Design)"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Fans

Steve,

Whose did you use, and where did you get it? If you don't mind me asking.

Dave Baldwin
Dallas, TX

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Steve [mailto:slikness mindspring.com]
> Sent: Friday, June 11, 1999 4:12 PM
> To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Fans
>
>
> I put twin electric fans on the front of my 351W after I
> swapped out my 300
> I6. We just drove in 100+ heat the last couple of days and
> though it ran a
> little hotter than what I would have liked, the temp never
> rose much higher
> than half way up the gauge. It's a slick, neat set up that
> really cleans up
> the front of the engine. It also hooks into the A/C so that
> it will turn on
> when the A/C kicks in.
>
> Steve
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Dave Harmier
> To:
> Sent: Thursday, June 10, 1999 11:15 PM
> Subject: FTE 80-96 - Fans
>
>
> > Any experience, or opinions, on electric, or flex fans,
> > as opposed to the plain old clutch fan???
> >
> > Trying to figure out what to do for our street machine
> > '81 El Camino (yeah a darn Cheby)
> >
> > For Ford content, My '92 is stopping better than ever
> > these days. Lubing those slide points, and replacing rear
> > shoes was what the doctor ordered!!!!
> >
> > Dave H.
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and
> posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:35:14 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Transmission interchangability

Does anyone know if a ZF 5 speed can interchange with a Mazda 5 speed in a
1988 F-150 4x4 w/302? My Mazda leaks bad and is too high geared in 1st and
reverse.

Has anyone rebuilt their Mazda 5 speed? How hard are they to put new
bearings in?

Thank you.


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:18:20 EDT
From: Lwskywalk aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

you cant take the oil pan all the way out unless you raise the engine with a
lift. i ended up snakin the gasket through...MAKE SURE you dont over tighten
the bolts or it will spit the gasket out and break the seal and you will have
to start over again. it took me about 3 hours once i got on the right
track...

luke
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:47:06 -0700
From: Eric Sneed
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC

I had experienced the exact same thing about a month ago, my pedal went
to the floor with hardly any braking at all. the scary thing is that
this would be a very dangerous situation. My neighbor(mechanical
Engineer) had stopped by while I was finally fixing the problem and he
agreed that this is a VERY Poor design on the part of ford. So as great
as these Fords are they are still so to say "human" after all.

Well I feel better now that I have vented

ES

> -----Original Message-----
> From:ACMERCG aol.com [SMTP:ACMERCG aol.com]
> Sent:Friday, June 11, 1999 2:08 PM
> To:80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject:Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 brakes, MC
>
> In a message dated 06/11/1999 3:39:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> ACMERCG aol.com writes:
>
>
> because that may not be the problem, but what else could be the
> prob?????
> I
> am at wits end..........
>
> Joe >>
> try this on for size.... A friend told me to inspect the drums and
> wheel
> cylinders carefully, just for fun, even though I saw no leaks. So I
> pull the
> DSR tire and drum off and what do I find? The Adjuster falls out, and
> the
> adjuster spring was loose- the source of my low pressure problem. Put
> it all
> back together and BAM!!! Nice hard pedal thanks to the new master and
> brake
> fluid... Live and learn, check the little things first before you
> start
> replacing things.
>
> And on tomorrow's show, How to change an oil pan gasket!!!!
>
> Thanks for everyone's help,
>
> Joe
> Lost in jersey
> 92 F-150 Nite
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:05:42 PDT
From: Chris Mahaffey
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Best wax

I've had good luck with both Mother's and Meguar's (or however it's spelled)
so I won't recommend a specific brand of wax but a local body shop
recommended I use one of the 3 step cleaner, polish, wax type systems on my
red 1992 Flareside. It is about 3 times the work as a one step wax but it
was definately worth it. It really made the truck shine and there aren't
any swirl marks in it, which the body shop claims are caused by a vehicle
being waxed before the surface is cleaned, so the small particles of dirt
(that regular washing doesn't get rid of) end up scratching the surface and
the swirls show up. It makes sense to me. I have heard that the cleaner
should only be used once a year and it's easy to wear the paint thin with it
especially on raised trim lines and a power buffer.

And one more tip for waxing. Use Armor All, Son of a Gun, or whatever brand
of vinyl protectant you prefer on any vinyl surfaces before waxing. It
helps prevent the wax build up on the vinyl.


_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:09:59 EDT
From: ROlson1039 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Best wax

ok ok enough about wax you guys have finally got me to make a comment!!! (
I cant take this about waxing the truck anymore!!) THE BEST WAX HANDS DOWN IS
THE ONE MY SON DOES FOR ME.. theres absolutely NO labor on my part!!!!!!!
( he ses the old standby turtle wax LOL)
Bob
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:38:25 EDT
From: ACMERCG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

In a message dated 06/11/1999 6:20:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Lwskywalk aol.com writes:


you cant take the oil pan all the way out unless you raise the engine with a
lift. i ended up snakin the gasket through...MAKE SURE you dont over
tighten
the bolts or it will spit the gasket out and break the seal and you will
have
to start over again. it took me about 3 hours once i got on the right
track >>
I was thinkin of dropping the trans and the t-case then one motor mount and
raising the motor up one that side. I would think that I could get the pan
out then...
Where is the pickup? Which side?

thanks again,

Joe
Lost in Jersey
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:38:48 EDT
From: ACMERCG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

In a message dated 06/11/1999 5:06:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
slikness mindspring.com writes:


blocked it with a 4X4, dropped the pan completely out, put on my one piece
gasket on the engine (used black RTV to hold it in place, needs to sit for
about 10 minutes), then put the pan back on.
>>
did you have any contact problems with the upper manifold and the firewall?

Joe
Lost in jersey
92 F-150 4x4
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:20:07 -0400
From: "Steve"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Fans

I used Derale and I believe that I got them from Summit Racing, but J.C.
Whitney has them at good prices from time to time.

Steve

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Baldwin, Dave (CPCP Design)
To:
Sent: Friday, June 11, 1999 5:29 PM
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Fans


> Steve,
>
> Whose did you use, and where did you get it? If you don't mind me asking.
>
> Dave Baldwin
> Dallas, TX
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Steve [mailto:slikness mindspring.com]
> > Sent: Friday, June 11, 1999 4:12 PM
> > To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> > Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Fans
> >
> >
> > I put twin electric fans on the front of my 351W after I
> > swapped out my 300
> > I6. We just drove in 100+ heat the last couple of days and
> > though it ran a
> > little hotter than what I would have liked, the temp never
> > rose much higher
> > than half way up the gauge. It's a slick, neat set up that
> > really cleans up
> > the front of the engine. It also hooks into the A/C so that
> > it will turn on
> > when the A/C kicks in.
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Dave Harmier
> > To:
> > Sent: Thursday, June 10, 1999 11:15 PM
> > Subject: FTE 80-96 - Fans
> >
> >
> > > Any experience, or opinions, on electric, or flex fans,
> > > as opposed to the plain old clutch fan???
> > >
> > > Trying to figure out what to do for our street machine
> > > '81 El Camino (yeah a darn Cheby)
> > >
> > > For Ford content, My '92 is stopping better than ever
> > > these days. Lubing those slide points, and replacing rear
> > > shoes was what the doctor ordered!!!!
> > >
> > > Dave H.
> > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> > http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and
> > posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:24:28 -0400
From: "Steve"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

No, but let me 'splain. First, I used an engine lift, but also, after
reading some more of your thread, mine is carburated and 2WD. A lot simpler
set up. But it was on a 351W.

Steve

- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Friday, June 11, 1999 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking


> In a message dated 06/11/1999 5:06:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> slikness mindspring.com writes:
>
>
and
> blocked it with a 4X4, dropped the pan completely out, put on my one
piece
> gasket on the engine (used black RTV to hold it in place, needs to sit
for
> about 10 minutes), then put the pan back on.
> >>
> did you have any contact problems with the upper manifold and the
firewall?
>
> Joe
> Lost in jersey
> 92 F-150 4x4
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:38:53 EDT
From: ACMERCG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

In a message dated 06/11/1999 9:25:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
slikness mindspring.com writes:


reading some more of your thread, mine is carburated and 2WD. A lot simpler
set up. But it was on a 351W. >>
Hmmm... I see, so I will drop the case and the trans and do it that way...

Thanks!!!

Joe
Lost in Jersey
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:07:28 -0700
From: bob chaytor
Subject: FTE 80-96 - vehicle weight

Howdy
Does anyone know the weight of a empty 88 F150. Just trying to figure my payload . They are starting to get sticky on overweight trucks up here. my GVW
is 5400 # and I'm packing a 8' camper at about 1300 #.
THANKS
BOB CHAYTOR
SOOKE BC
mail to: berkleybob ampsc.com

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:01:10 -0500
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: FTE 80-96 - How 2 unstick frozen heat riser in exhaust manifold?

Anybody got any ideas on easy ways to get frozen heat riser valve in
exhaust manifold unstuck? Mine is rusted solid. I would be happy to just
force it open and leave it frozen open. I'd rather NOT pull the manifold.
I'm sure I can get it unstuck if I do that. Thanks!

Jim Cannon
Houston, TX
'29 Ford Model A Phaeton
'63 Buick Riviera
'80 Ford F-150
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:30:04 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

>you cant take the oil pan all the way out unless you raise the engine with a
>lift. i ended up snakin the gasket through...MAKE SURE you dont over tighten
>the bolts or it will spit the gasket out and break the seal and you will have
>to start over again. it took me about 3 hours once i got on the right
>track...

Can you get the pan off if you have a 4" lift kit without jacking the
engine up?


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:28:36 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

>In a message dated 06/11/1999 6:20:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>Lwskywalk aol.com writes:
>
>
> you cant take the oil pan all the way out unless you raise the engine with a
> lift. i ended up snakin the gasket through...MAKE SURE you dont over
>tighten
> the bolts or it will spit the gasket out and break the seal and you will
>have
> to start over again. it took me about 3 hours once i got on the right
> track >>
>I was thinkin of dropping the trans and the t-case then one motor mount and
>raising the motor up one that side. I would think that I could get the pan
>out then...
>Where is the pickup? Which side?
>

Why would you have to drop the tranny to get the oil pan off?

Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:34:09 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - FM steps!

>Hi again!
>I have a original Ford radio in my 91 F250 XLT Lariat.
>It steps 90.1 90.3 90.5 90.7 90.9 etc
>The European way is 90.1 90.2 90.3 90.4 etc.
>Any hints on how this could be modified?
>OK, buy a new one but I like to keep thew original one...
>Regards,
>Gunnar
>Sweden


Some radios have a switch for that. Not sure if the Ford original one does.


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:40:26 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - vehicle weight

>Howdy
>Does anyone know the weight of a empty 88 F150. Just trying to figure my
>payload . They are starting to get sticky on overweight trucks up here. my
>GVW
>is 5400 # and I'm packing a 8' camper at about 1300 #.
>THANKS
>BOB CHAYTOR
>SOOKE BC
>mail to: berkleybob ampsc.com
>


How does it work up there? Do you buy your plates for the amount you want
to haul? That is how it is in Ohio now- did not used to be. I have my F-150
licensed for 14,000 lbs, but also includes the weight of trailer you want
to haul.

I would think your camper would be exempt from any weight requirements
anyway since it is non-commercial and a house vehicle. Heck, I have seen
campers made out of F-750s and up that run house vehicle or non commercial
plates.


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service
"Society is safest when the criminals don't know who's armed."


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:43:28 -0500
From: Edward Saunders
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Fans

Where did you find that setup? Sounds good.
Ed Saunders F-150 302 1986

Steve wrote:

> I put twin electric fans on the front of my 351W after I swapped out my 300
> I6. We just drove in 100+ heat the last couple of days and though it ran a
> little hotter than what I would have liked, the temp never rose much higher
> than half way up the gauge. It's a slick, neat set up that really cleans up
> the front of the engine. It also hooks into the A/C so that it will turn on
> when the A/C kicks in.
>
> Steve
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Dave Harmier
> To:
> Sent: Thursday, June 10, 1999 11:15 PM
> Subject: FTE 80-96 - Fans
>
> > Any experience, or opinions, on electric, or flex fans,
> > as opposed to the plain old clutch fan???
> >
> > Trying to figure out what to do for our street machine
> > '81 El Camino (yeah a darn Cheby)
> >
> > For Ford content, My '92 is stopping better than ever
> > these days. Lubing those slide points, and replacing rear
> > shoes was what the doctor ordered!!!!
> >
> > Dave H.
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:26:49 EDT
From: Lwskywalk aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

if you still have your stock exhaust manifold then the hooks to raise the
engine should be in that general area. i dont have stock exhaust anymore so
i could not raise my engine...i dropped the cross member and the trans and
jacked the engine up with a three ton and proceeded to fish the gasket
through around the oil pump which sux. i had to undo both of my engine mounts
becareful when raisin the engine that you dont put it through the fire wall

luke
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:29:32 EDT
From: Lwskywalk aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

that might work mine was stock hieght so im not sure...its worth a try

luke
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:32:13 EDT
From: Lwskywalk aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 92 F-150 Oil pan gasket leaking

have to drop the tranny in order to get the oil pan gasket on..you have to
move in some weird ways to manover the gasket through i found that it was
easier with my truck to get it out off teh way.. its really nuttin drop the
drive shaft (four bolts) and 6 bell housin bolts and you set

luke
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:42:25 EDT
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Lockup "off" switch

I know that a few of you have figured out a way to wire up a switch to
control the lockup function of the E4OD trannies. I am wondering if there is
a way to do that on the AODE/4R70W style. Being as they are the predecessor
of the E4OD, are the wiring harnesses and the color codes for the wires the
same? Quite a few of you are techs and do this kind of stuff for a living, so
I hope you can help. I watched my tach during a run tonight at the track and
I visually watched my rpms drop at lockup and my speedo hesitated on the
climb when the lockup occurred. This has got to be killing my times and
probably the tranny in the long run....HELP!
Later,
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside SC
"Hazardous Material"
Wayne's Page
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 02:30:10 EDT
From: JSC721 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Best Wax

Hey Dave,
I will recommend a professional wax that Auto detailiers use. Its called....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.