80-96-list-digest Friday, May 21 1999 Volume 03 : Number 142



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 80-96 - wheels
FTE 80-96 - Hello and F250 stuff
FTE 80-96 - Sluggish after start up
FTE 80-96 - Re: New to List - E4OD Cooling Question
RE: FTE 80-96 - The search continues......
Re: FTE 80-96 - K&N Airfilters
Re: FTE 80-96 - New to List - E4OD Cooling Question
Re: FTE 80-96 - K&N Airfilters
RE: FTE 80-96 - The search continues......
FTE 80-96 - K&N Airfilters
FTE 80-96 - Re[2]: New to List - E4OD Cooling Question
Re: FTE 80-96 - wheels
Re: FTE 80-96 - wheels
Re: FTE 80-96 - Sluggish after start up
Re: FTE 80-96 - The search continues......
[none]
FTE 80-96 - F250 CAD drawings
FTE 80-96 - Re:
FTE 80-96 - sending-unit/fuel-pump problems?
Re: FTE 80-96 - F250 CAD drawings
Re: FTE 80-96 - The search continues......
Re: FTE 80-96 - wheels
FTE 80-96 - Last of brakes!!!
Re: FTE 80-96 - wheels

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 06:12:54 -0400
From: "Todd Schiller"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - wheels

My 85 150 4x4 flareside has 33's and I changed from a 2 inch lift to a 4
inch, makes the 33's look stock on the truck. I agree 35's would probably
look better but gearing would need to be changed.
- -----Original Message-----
From: Blake Malkamaki
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 1999 11:49 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - wheels


>>I have an 86 F-150, with a 4 inch lift. I bought some new 32 11.50's
>>and I am shopping for a set of rims. I tow a 24 foot pontoon boat, as
>>well as use the truck for off road use. What is the minimum weight
>>limit I should look for in a wheel?
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Ed
>>
>
>I have 32's on my stock height 88 F-150. How do they look on your's with
>your 4" lift? I am wondering if the 32's will look ok, or would 35's look
>better? I am not meaning to put down your truck at all- just wondering how
>the 32's fill out the fenders with the lift.
>
>
>Blake
>Little Mountain
>Concord, Ohio
>Early Oil Well Historian
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
>See my new site dedicated to preserving the Big Muskie,
>the largest moving land machine on earth!
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/bigmuskie
>Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
>Desktop Publishing service
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:00:57 -0400
From: Jose Teixido
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Hello and F250 stuff

HI to all...

This is my first post to the list so I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Jose Teixido, I am 24, I work as a graphic
designer... and I am living in Paraguay (South America, that should explain the awfull english), and I am a fan of Ford
trucks... As a mather of fact I just got a incredible deal on a 85 long box F250 and I just wanted to know what everybody
thinks about it. It has the 6.9L V8 diesel (currently under heavy rebuilding) 4x4, 4 speed tranny.

What I really want to know is where I can get the buchings and the complete rubber set for this truck and how much should I
spect to pay for it...if I can get it online much better, and... it already has a 3" lift witch make it look great but the
previous owner took the aftermarket wheels out of it before selling it, so I just wanted to know what is the general concensus
about this topic... I was thinking maybe 15" rims with 31 x 10.50 could do the job.. but the trucks looks WAY big for those (I
normally drive it 65% street and 35% off road), should I look for anything bigger? If I choose 15" rims what should be the best
wideness of the rim.. I mean there are 8"s, 10"s even 12"s.

Ill highly apreciate any inputs since this is my first full size truck and I am kinda lost.

Thanks in advance.

Joesys
Jose Teixido
Web developer
ABC Digital




== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:17:00 -0500
From: "Gourde, Darrin"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Sluggish after start up

( 94 F150, 302, aode, 4x4, 88k)

Lately my pickup is sluggish from start up until it warms up. It takes
twice as much throttle during this time. Once it warms up it is fine.
I recently replaced the Fuel pressure regulator, EGR valve & sensor, rotor,
cap, wires (motorcraft), plugs, and fuel filter. Any Ideas? Thanks
Darrin
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:12:55 -0700
From: Vogt Family
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: New to List - E4OD Cooling Question

rpili west.raytheon.com wrote:
>
> I just signed up to the list in digest mode and have a question about keeping a
> E4OD cool when towing. Here is alittle history on the tranny, its in a 90
> extended E350 with a FI 460 with Banks headers and exhaust and a Banks tranny
> shift electronics (Trancommand), 4.11 rear end, tranny temp gauge and the
> biggest tranny cooler I could find (28000 lb). The last two trips to Vegas
> pulling a 28ft Toybox Trailer (5000 lbs full of fluid, 9000 lbs with jeep in it)
> it blew the front seal and puked all its ATF going up Bakers Grade (15 + mile at
> least 6% grade). I had it towed to Vegas and rebuilt by the same shop each time
> (second time under warrantee). The temp gauge was added after the last rebuild
> and on the way home it ran at least 280 deg F on each hill, after which I pulled
> over to let it cool. I always tow in 3 rd (not OD) and it pulls fine until the
> temp get hot. Driving around solo (no trailer) in San Diego and Orange County
> it gets to 240 deg F on some of the hills. I had a local tranny shop check the
> oil cooling lines, radiator tranny cooler, external tranny cooler, tranny oil
> pump and the converter lock up and everything checks out, there is no kinks in
> the line, the oil flows freely etc.
>
> Naturally, I wont tow with it till I feel confident it will not over heat. I
> have a few of questions:
>
> 1. What is going on in the tranny that generates so much heat?

I noticed a couple of things in what you mentioned. The Transcommand,
or any electronic "shift kit" for that matter, no doubt somewhat delays
upshifts and lockup. This causes heat. The other thing is that you are
using 3rd gear, from what I have heard on these lists that is not
necessary with the E4OD as it has heavy duty 4th gear parts. Look in
your owner's manual, I think it says something about this. Of course it
may be that your tranny would otherwise hunt between 3rd and 4th, or
would stay in 3rd on its own, in which case it makes no difference.

> 2. What can I do to keep the ATF cool? I understand the temp should be around
> engine coolant temp (180 to 212 deg F) under all conditions except when going up
> hill towing where it might hit 250 deg F maximum temp.
> 3. Can I put two or three tranny coolers in series?

Check to see that the fins are clear on all radiators, and that the fan
clutch is working properly. On mine after a freeway drive with the AC
on, that fan gets howling for a couple minutes.

Also, where is your temperature gauge sender? If it is in the output
line to the cooler, and the convertor is unlocked, that is not really an
accurate assesment of tranny temperature. It is reading the very hot
temperature of the fluid fresh out of the convertor. In addition,
before adding any more cooling capacity, I would like to know what the
temperature is coming back from the cooler. If it is below about 160,
there is little to be gained.

Birken
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:22:53 -0700
From: "McMahon, Todd R."
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - The search continues......

This is a long shot, but what about the driveshaft (propellershaft?)... if
you have a two piece shaft, you might have broken the splines between the
yoke and the tube. The length of the shaft has to change to allow for axel
movement up and down, perhaps the teeth or splines have gotten mangled...
This section is usually covered by a "boot" to keep it clean.

Good luck...

Todd

- -----Original Message-----
From: Max W. Cottrell [mailto:mcphoto provide.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 1999 7:29 PM
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - The search continues......


Our hero (me) disabled the drive train of his 1986 F150 (5.0; Mazda 5 spd,
Ford 9 inch 3.55) while at a stoplight on a hill during a rainy night. The
rear
end hopped, locked up for a moment and the gears began to grind.

The trans shifter moves through all gears, but when the clutch is let in,
there's nothing but grinding.

Thus far in our saga, our hero (me) has checked the rear end (with the
help of a Ford engineer) -- lots of wear, but not enough to account for the
failure.

Tonight, I removed the shifter from the trans through the cab inspection
plate.
No bad gears, no problems at all inside the trans.

The next step is to remove the transmission and check:

1: input shaft
2: pressure plate
3: clutch

Any other suggestions would be welcome at this point. To quote
everyone who's looked at it so far:

"Ain't nothin like I never seen before. You look at the rear end? Sure
sounds like the rear end to me."



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:33:17 EDT
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - K&N Airfilters

Ed,
Your truck has the Speed Density setup. Just make sure that the company you
buy it from knows this and you should have no problem upgrading the 1988
style KandN.
Later
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside SC
"Hazardous Material"
Wayne's Flareside
and Ford Page (Page 1)

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:43:34 EDT
From: FLR150 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - New to List - E4OD Cooling Question

I can tell you this much, if you have the factory towing package option, GTE
RID OF THE SUBSTANDARD COOLER. Those coolers were originally designed for the
Aerostars and then put on our trucks so the dealers could make a few more of
our hard earned coins. I agree with the last post on this subject about
installing a lower temp tstat. While 160 degrees might be a little too low
for the computer to operate correctly, 180 should be just right.
Later
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside SC
"Hazardous Material"
Wayne's Flareside
and Ford Page (Page 1)

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:26:33 CDT
From: "GREG PATTON"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - K&N Airfilters

K&N makes conical filters that replace the box for the F-150 and attaches to
the existing 2 hoses. Check out there web site.
>From: FLR150 aol.com
>Reply-To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
>To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
>Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - K&N Airfilters
>Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:33:17 EDT
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>From owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com Thu May 20 11:42:08 1999
>Received: from [192.41.63.203] by hotmail.com (1.5) with SMTP id
>MHotMailB90DA27F00C2D1017080C0293FCB0E100; Thu May 20 11:42:08 1999
>Received: (fordtruc localhost) by ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id OAA05737; Thu,
>20 May 1999 14:35:22 -0400 (EDT)
>Received: from imo22.mx.aol.com (imo22.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.66]) by
>ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id OAA05679; Thu, 20 May 1999 14:35:04 -0400 (EDT)
>Received: from FLR150 aol.com (8069)by imo22.mx.aol.com (IMOv20) id
>sAQMa19886 for ; Thu, 20 May 1999 14:33:51
>-0400 (EDT)
>Message-ID:
>X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 10
>Sender: owner-80-96-list ford-trucks.com
>Precedence: bulk
>
>Ed,
>Your truck has the Speed Density setup. Just make sure that the company you
>buy it from knows this and you should have no problem upgrading the 1988
>style KandN.
>Later
>Wayne Foy
>'94 Flareside SC
>"Hazardous Material"
> Wayne's Flareside
>and Ford Page (Page 1)
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:58:10 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - The search continues......

>This is a long shot, but what about the driveshaft (propellershaft?)... if
>you have a two piece shaft, you might have broken the splines between the
>yoke and the tube. The length of the shaft has to change to allow for axel
>movement up and down, perhaps the teeth or splines have gotten mangled...
>This section is usually covered by a "boot" to keep it clean.
>

Have you had someone look under your truck while trying different
approaches to determining the problem? Be careful though.


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
See my new site dedicated to preserving the Big Muskie,
the largest moving land machine on earth!
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/bigmuskie
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 99 14:51:54 -0800
From: todd trifilm.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - K&N Airfilters

The Performance Products ( www.performanceproducts.com or e-mail at
moreinfo performanceproducts.com ) catalog I have here shows a K&N kit for
1985.5 - 96. Their reference number is 166101 ~$180, it's the same reference
number for 4.9-7.5L engines. It replaces the box with an ovalized cone filter
that mates to the ends of the two intake hoses, its not a Gen II but the filter
is large . K&N also makes a replacement panel filter for the stock air box ~$40.
If you stay stock and use the panel, I've heard the intake plenum for the 7.5L
airbox is larger and is a straight forward swap.

Have Fun, Todd W.M.
'87 Bronco w/K&N panel filter

>I am wondering how much difference there is between an 86 302, and an 88
>302, in the F-150's.
>I am trying to get rid of my airbox, and go with a
>Generation 2 Air Filtration System. I have called Airaid and K&N
>directly, and they say that the earliest setup they have for F-150's is
>1988. They say they have a replacement filter that goes into the
>existing box, but I don't understand what I would be saving in that
>setup. I have the airbox that has 2 rubber hoses that go directly into
>the Plenum. If I was to buy a system for an 88, would it work?
>Thanks,
>Ed Saunders

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: rpili west.raytheon.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re[2]: New to List - E4OD Cooling Question

Birken,

Thanks for the comments.

First, the Trancommand did very little. I can feel a slight firmness in the
shifts but not worth they money. I was happy with the headers and exhaust (it
was a tight fit) but the Trancommand was disappointing.

Every tranny guy I've spoken with say to tow in 3rd (direct drive) esp. with a
E4OD. They all mentioned to me that the E4OD brings them alot of business.
I'll check my owners manual on the towing in OD.

The Radiator coolant temp never goes more than 1/2 way between C and H. I plan
on putting in a spacer in place of the fan clutch to see if there is an
improvement but I doubt if that's going to help much since there should be
enough flow at Hiway speeds that the clutch fan would not be pulling much. I
can see at lower speeds it may help but not at hi way speeds. A couple of semi
drivers I know said they replaced their fan clutches with spacers and that kept
things cool for their Fords but then again they had C6's.

The temp sensor is right in the middle of the bottom of the tranny pan. I do
like your suggestion on checking the temp of the fluid coming back from the
tranny cooler. That will tell me if the cooling system is working. Now I need
to get some kind of sensor to measure the fluid at that location.

Some one questioned the tranny cooler - Chad maybe? But I dont remember the
tranny cooler manufacture but it is the same crossflow design as the
permacool(?) but bigger than any of the coolers at places like Pep Boys. The
tranny shops said I had a good one. I dont go slow enough to have my flashers
on and I dont rest my foot on the brake. I understand the tranny will unlock
the converter when the brakes are applied. I like the Idea of a larger tranny
oil pan.

Does anyone know how to tell if the converter is locked up? The excess heat
maybe from the converter not being locked up even tho one tranny shop said it
was working.

TIA

Ray



____________________Reply Separator____________________
Subject: Re: New to List - E4OD Cooling Question
Author: vogt oro.net
Date: 5/20/99 11:12 AM

rpili west.raytheon.com wrote:
>
> I just signed up to the list in digest mode and have a question about keeping
a
> E4OD cool when towing. Here is alittle history on the tranny, its in a 90
> extended E350 with a FI 460 with Banks headers and exhaust and a Banks tranny
> shift electronics (Trancommand), 4.11 rear end, tranny temp gauge and the
> biggest tranny cooler I could find (28000 lb). The last two trips to Vegas
> pulling a 28ft Toybox Trailer (5000 lbs full of fluid, 9000 lbs with jeep in
it)
> it blew the front seal and puked all its ATF going up Bakers Grade (15 + mile
at
> least 6% grade). I had it towed to Vegas and rebuilt by the same shop each
time
> (second time under warrantee). The temp gauge was added after the last
rebuild
> and on the way home it ran at least 280 deg F on each hill, after which I
pulled
> over to let it cool. I always tow in 3 rd (not OD) and it pulls fine until
the
> temp get hot. Driving around solo (no trailer) in San Diego and Orange County
> it gets to 240 deg F on some of the hills. I had a local tranny shop check
the
> oil cooling lines, radiator tranny cooler, external tranny cooler, tranny oil
> pump and the converter lock up and everything checks out, there is no kinks in
> the line, the oil flows freely etc.
>
> Naturally, I wont tow with it till I feel confident it will not over heat. I
> have a few of questions:
>
> 1. What is going on in the tranny that generates so much heat?

I noticed a couple of things in what you mentioned. The Transcommand,
or any electronic "shift kit" for that matter, no doubt somewhat delays
upshifts and lockup. This causes heat. The other thing is that you are
using 3rd gear, from what I have heard on these lists that is not
necessary with the E4OD as it has heavy duty 4th gear parts. Look in
your owner's manual, I think it says something about this. Of course it
may be that your tranny would otherwise hunt between 3rd and 4th, or
would stay in 3rd on its own, in which case it makes no difference.

> 2. What can I do to keep the ATF cool? I understand the temp should be
around
> engine coolant temp (180 to 212 deg F) under all conditions except when going
up
> hill towing where it might hit 250 deg F maximum temp.
> 3. Can I put two or three tranny coolers in series?

Check to see that the fins are clear on all radiators, and that the fan
clutch is working properly. On mine after a freeway drive with the AC
on, that fan gets howling for a couple minutes.

Also, where is your temperature gauge sender? If it is in the output
line to the cooler, and the convertor is unlocked, that is not really an
accurate assesment of tranny temperature. It is reading the very hot
temperature of the fluid fresh out of the convertor. In addition,
before adding any more cooling capacity, I would like to know what the
temperature is coming back from the cooler. If it is below about 160,
there is little to be gained.

Birken
RFC-822-headers:
Received: from CONVERSION-DAEMON by mail.hac.com (PMDF V5.1-12 #D3246)
id for "ray a pili" mime.mail.hac.com; Thu,
20 May 1999 11:16:32 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from PROCESS-DAEMON by mail.hac.com (PMDF V5.1-12 #D3246)
id for "ray a pili" mime.mail.hac.com; Thu,
20 May 1999 11:16:18 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from fw-es05.hac.com by mail.hac.com (PMDF V5.1-12 #D3246)
with ESMTP id for
"ray a pili" mime.mail.hac.com; Thu, 20 May 1999 11:16:13 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from Au.oro.net ([198.68.62.48]) by fw-es05.hac.com (8.9.1/8.9.1)
with ESMTP id LAA29835 for ; Thu,
20 May 1999 11:11:49 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from gv1-246.oro.net (gv1-246.oro.net [209.77.96.246])
by Au.oro.net (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id LAA28249; Thu,
20 May 1999 11:11:24 -0700
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:12:55 -0700
From: Vogt Family
Subject: Re: New to List - E4OD Cooling Question
Reply-to: vogt oro.net
Message-id:
MIME-version: 1.0
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.04Gold (Win16; U)
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
References:

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:17:14 -0500
From: Edward Saunders
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - wheels

It looks ok, but eventually when I have enough money I'll go bigger.

Blake Malkamaki wrote:

> >I have an 86 F-150, with a 4 inch lift. I bought some new 32 11.50's
> >and I am shopping for a set of rims. I tow a 24 foot pontoon boat, as
> >well as use the truck for off road use. What is the minimum weight
> >limit I should look for in a wheel?
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Ed
> >
>
> I have 32's on my stock height 88 F-150. How do they look on your's with
> your 4" lift? I am wondering if the 32's will look ok, or would 35's look
> better? I am not meaning to put down your truck at all- just wondering how
> the 32's fill out the fenders with the lift.
>
> Blake
> Little Mountain
> Concord, Ohio
> Early Oil Well Historian
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
> See my new site dedicated to preserving the Big Muskie,
> the largest moving land machine on earth!
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/bigmuskie
> Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
> Desktop Publishing service
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 19:47:26 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - wheels

>It looks ok, but eventually when I have enough money I'll go bigger.

>

>Blake Malkamaki wrote:

>

>> >I have an 86 F-150, with a 4 inch lift. I bought some new 32
11.50's

>> >and I am shopping for a set of rims. I tow a 24 foot pontoon boat,
as

>> >well as use the truck for off road use. What is the minimum
weight

>> >limit I should look for in a wheel?

>> >Thanks in advance,

>> >Ed

>> >

>>

>> I have 32's on my stock height 88 F-150. How do they look on your's
with

>> your 4" lift? I am wondering if the 32's will look ok, or would 35's
look

>> better? I am not meaning to put down your truck at all- just
wondering how

>> the 32's fill out the fenders with the lift.

>>


Thanks. I have a 50% set of General Grabber AP's on my Bronco in 35"
that I could put on the pickup if I get the 4" lift. I know it will be
mighty high geared though.


hey, will the ring and pinion out of a Dana 44 solid axle
fit in a Dana 44 independant axle?



Blake

Little Mountain

Concord, Ohio

Early Oil Well Historian

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake

See my new site dedicated to preserving the Big Muskie,

the largest moving land machine on earth!

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/bigmuskie

Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com

Desktop Publishing service

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 1990 01:11:41 -0400
From: "Ken Raymond"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Sluggish after start up

I think your automatic choke isn't working
- -----Original Message-----
From: Gourde, Darrin
To: Ford
Date: Thursday, May 20, 1999 12:32 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Sluggish after start up


>( 94 F150, 302, aode, 4x4, 88k)
>
>Lately my pickup is sluggish from start up until it warms
up. It takes
>twice as much throttle during this time. Once it warms up
it is fine.
>I recently replaced the Fuel pressure regulator, EGR valve
& sensor, rotor,
>cap, wires (motorcraft), plugs, and fuel filter. Any
Ideas? Thanks
>Darrin
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 21:48:07 -0400
From: "Max W. Cottrell"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - The search continues......

The answer to this thread is no. The grinding is too severe
to allow anyone to be under the vehicle while attempting to move.
.
I've got the shifter off of the Mazda transmission. There's no
damage in it.

All bets are now on the input shaft / spline or the clutch

Blake Malkamaki wrote:

> >This is a long shot, but what about the driveshaft (propellershaft?)... if
> >you have a two piece shaft, you might have broken the splines between the
> >yoke and the tube. The length of the shaft has to change to allow for axel
> >movement up and down, perhaps the teeth or splines have gotten mangled...
> >This section is usually covered by a "boot" to keep it clean.
> >
>
> Have you had someone look under your truck while trying different
> approaches to determining the problem? Be careful though.
>



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 19:15:12 PDT
From: "austin courtright"
Subject: [none]

my question is..

i have a 87 ford f250
and whenever i switch the gas tanks to the front one funny things happen...
i could be driving for bout 1 day or sometimes 10 feet and then it just
stalls on me...
i have put gas in it before and it just stalls.....
what could be the problem.....
my rear tank the gas gauge doesn't work.....how do i fix this??


_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 22:33:57 -0400
From: "Amos Pressley"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - F250 CAD drawings

Hello,

I have been given a request from a old friend who is a missionary to the
Dominican Republic. Fresh water is a hard thing to find in the villages
where he works. In response, someone has donated a mid-80's model Ford F-250
truck, with plans to add an engine and drilling rig to the back so that they
can drill small wells with it.

He has asked me to draw a representation of this modifiction so that he can
show it to the churches that are interested in supporting this work.

Not wanting to start from scratch, I have looked on several websites for
existing 3d CAD files (DWG, DXF, or 3DS) that I can modify for this, but
have not come up with anything yet. I was hoping that someone could point me
in a direction where I can put this together without having to go out, find
a truck and an engine, then physically measure and draw it in order to make
it reasonably accurate. Can anyone recommend a resource?

Amos Pressley

PS For what it's worth, I have known this missionary since he was a teen. He
is the real deal - - self-sacrificing, compassionate, and truly interested
in the physical and spiritual welfare of others.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 23:02:39 -0400
From: "Todd Schiller"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re:

You may want start by checking the tank selector switch and connector
located next to climate control panel. This selector switch routes fuel
level voltages from the sending unit to the fuel gauge from the selectedtank
as well completes the necessary ground path to operate the fuel pump to that
tank.
- -----Original Message-----
From: austin courtright
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Thursday, May 20, 1999 10:19 PM


>my question is..
>
>i have a 87 ford f250
>and whenever i switch the gas tanks to the front one funny things happen...
>i could be driving for bout 1 day or sometimes 10 feet and then it just
>stalls on me...
>i have put gas in it before and it just stalls.....
>what could be the problem.....
>my rear tank the gas gauge doesn't work.....how do i fix this??
>
>
>_______________________________________________________________
>Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:07:29 -0700
From: "McMahon, Todd R."
Subject: FTE 80-96 - sending-unit/fuel-pump problems?

The sending units in the tanks are known to go bad, which probably explains
the guage problem with the rear tank. These sending units are also coupled
with a fuel pump, so they are "not inexpensive".... something like $300.00
or more from the dealer I think.

The problem with the front tank could also be related to the
sending-unit/fuel- pump in that tank.

If you are going to replace the one in the rear tank for the guage problem,
I would mount that sending unit that you removed into the front tank just to
see if the pump was the problem. It might even be possible to mate the good
pump (with the bad sending unit from the rear tank) to the good sending unit
(with the bad pump from the front tank) - you know, make one good unit from
2 defective ones...

I've never done this myself, so I don't even know if it is possible, but if
the front tank has a pump problem, it's worth a try, as you might save
yourself some cash.

Good Luck,

Todd

============================

- -----Original Message-----
From: austin courtright [mailto:austin_ac hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 1999 7:15 PM
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Subject:


my question is..

i have a 87 ford f250
and whenever i switch the gas tanks to the front one funny things happen...
i could be driving for bout 1 day or sometimes 10 feet and then it just
stalls on me...
i have put gas in it before and it just stalls.....
what could be the problem.....
my rear tank the gas gauge doesn't work.....how do i fix this??


_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 23:20:30 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - F250 CAD drawings

>Hello,
>
>I have been given a request from a old friend who is a missionary to the
>Dominican Republic. Fresh water is a hard thing to find in the villages
>where he works. In response, someone has donated a mid-80's model Ford F-250
>truck, with plans to add an engine and drilling rig to the back so that they
>can drill small wells with it.
>
>He has asked me to draw a representation of this modifiction so that he can
>show it to the churches that are interested in supporting this work.
>
>Not wanting to start from scratch, I have looked on several websites for
>existing 3d CAD files (DWG, DXF, or 3DS) that I can modify for this, but
>have not come up with anything yet. I was hoping that someone could point me
>in a direction where I can put this together without having to go out, find
>a truck and an engine, then physically measure and draw it in order to make
>it reasonably accurate. Can anyone recommend a resource?
>
>Amos Pressley
>
>PS For what it's worth, I have known this missionary since he was a teen. He
>is the real deal - - self-sacrificing, compassionate, and truly interested
>in the physical and spiritual welfare of others.
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

You need plans for a water well drill rig (spudder)? How deep do they want
to go? They will probably need a bigger truck than that F250. Probably
cheapest way is to go to an auction and buy an old rig mounted on on old
army 6x6 or something similar. Those things are heavy!


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
See my new site dedicated to preserving the Big Muskie,
the largest moving land machine on earth!
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/bigmuskie
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 23:17:02 -0500
From: Blake Malkamaki
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - The search continues......

>The answer to this thread is no. The grinding is too severe
>to allow anyone to be under the vehicle while attempting to move.
>.
>I've got the shifter off of the Mazda transmission. There's no
>damage in it.
>
>All bets are now on the input shaft / spline or the clutch


Our 77 F-350 did about the same thing when the lining came off the clutch.
Sounds like the place to check.


Blake
Little Mountain
Concord, Ohio
Early Oil Well Historian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
See my new site dedicated to preserving the Big Muskie,
the largest moving land machine on earth!
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/bigmuskie
Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
Desktop Publishing service


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:56:51 -0700
From: Bob Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - wheels

SNIP



hey, will the ring and pinion out of a Dana 44 solid axle fit in a Dana 44 independant axle?

yep.

Bob




>
> Blake
> Little Mountain
> Concord, Ohio
> Early Oil Well Historian
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/blake
> See my new site dedicated to preserving the Big Muskie,
> the largest moving land machine on earth!
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://little-mountain.com/bigmuskie
> Web site design http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hitechdesign.com
> Desktop Publishing service
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 23:45:29 -0500
From: "Dave Harmier"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Last of brakes!!!

On todays trip, the usual porpoising on I-59 was gone...(and that road has
busted my trailer three times!!!) (bet Jim Cannon knows of which I
speak!)...STILL like those Gabrial shocks!
On the trip back, right up to incipient lock-up, no pull...COOL!!!....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.