80-96-list-digest Sunday, November 29 1998 Volume 02 : Number 400



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - Great Response on Classaction regarding E4OD Transmission
Re: FTE 80-96 - 1990 ford f250 pickup noisy fuel pump
Re: FTE 80-96 - 1990 ford f250 pickup noisy fuel pump
Re: FTE 80-96 - E4OD Classaction Suit Against FORD!
FTE 80-96 - 1990 ford f250 pickup noisy fuel pump
FTE 80-96 - '90 E-250 Dual Tanks Problem
FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: Web chat
Re: FTE 80-96 - '90 E-250 Dual Tanks Problem
FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?
FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: Archives updated
Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?
Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?
Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?
Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?
FTE 80-96 - 5-speed manual trans problems.
Re: FTE 80-96 - 1990 ford f250 pickup noisy fuel pump
FTE 80-96 - rust-proofing
Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:41:06 EST
From: Dhawk21 aol.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Great Response on Classaction regarding E4OD Transmission

Thanks for great response regarding the Classaction suit which is progressing
well. If you or know anyone that has had problems with there 1989 thru 1997
ford vehicles that have the E4OD automatic transmission forward my email
address to them. DHawk21 aol.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:50:24 EST
From: ROlson1039 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 1990 ford f250 pickup noisy fuel pump

theres a fuel pump in each of the tanks whats probably happening is the pump
is making noise..there is also a valve on the frame that switches betweent
the two tanks through the switch on the dash...although i suspect its the tank
pump thats making the noise. If you could live with it live with it cause
where im from (NYC) you can only get parts from the dealer for these
applications and they are like $200-250 for the valve and $300 for the pump
assembly in the tank cause it is sold with the float guage.. also the way the
tank is situated the lockdown ontop of the tank is usually heavily rusted...
so its easier to wait as long as you can LOL
Hope that helps
Any other questions please feel free to email me ( i went through the problem
with the gas tanks in March)
Bob
ROlson1039 aol.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:58:47 -0500
From: Marlene
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 1990 ford f250 pickup noisy fuel pump

ROlson1039 aol.com wrote:

> theres a fuel pump in each of the tanks whats probably happening is the pump
> is making noise..there is also a valve on the frame that switches betweent
> the two tanks through the switch on the dash...although i suspect its the tank
> pump thats making the noise. If you could live with it live with it cause
> where im from (NYC) you can only get parts from the dealer for these
> applications and they are like $200-250 for the valve and $300 for the pump
> assembly in the tank cause it is sold with the float guage.. also the way the
> tank is situated the lockdown ontop of the tank is usually heavily rusted...
> so its easier to wait as long as you can LOL
> Hope that helps
> Any other questions please feel free to email me ( i went through the problem
> with the gas tanks in March)
> Bob
> ROlson1039 aol.com
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 13:01:51 EST
From: CMYRED1 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - E4OD Classaction Suit Against FORD!

have had plenty of prob withe40d....too many to list ......i will gather info
and forward
to you.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 17:00:14 EST
From: Skibarefut aol.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 1990 ford f250 pickup noisy fuel pump

In a message dated 11/28/98 3:38:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com writes:


>> Sounds like a bad fuel pump in the rear tank. There is one pump
assembly in each tank. I think you have to drop down the tank to change the
pumps.

Craig
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 15:47:11 -0800
From: Vogt Family
Subject: FTE 80-96 - '90 E-250 Dual Tanks Problem

OK, here's another question about the old E-250...it has dual tanks but
one of them doesn't work (I think its the front, could be wrong...) I
took it out last year and did a fuel volume test on the in-tank pump, it
seemed ok by the specs I had...not much pressure but I assume that's ok
because the high pressure pump should take care of it...it is getting
power back there...but the engine will soon die if switched to that
tank. Someone told me of some kind of known problem with that six hose
fuel relay can thingy that's supposed to route the return to the proper
tank. Also there is some code in the computer about a "FP Relay
Circuit" but I think that's probably not it because by the diagrams the
pumps are switched mechanically after any relays or such...

Any ideas?

Birken
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:59:23 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: Web chat

Web chat is back up. The chat server has the same problem
it had last spring (hanging after a period of time). It
doesn't free resources very well. But.... its the fastest
chat I've found and it uses virtually no system resourses.
To get around the hanging problem, the chat server is
restarted 5 minutes before the start of each hour. At that
time, the chat server is down for about 30 seconds. You
have to log back in to use it. I know its a hassle, but
its the only solution for now.

Ken Payne
CoAdmin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts
http://www.ford-trucks.com

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 20:08:38 EST
From: ROlson1039 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - '90 E-250 Dual Tanks Problem

Sounds like the crossover valve is bad to me sometimes if you get alot of bad
gas it gums up and wont allow enough pressure for the tank to properly pump
this is to be checked after you pressure test the fule pump on the tank
itself.. i forget the specs but if i remember ill check my book at work on
Monday the crossover valves arent too hard to change just mind the right
lines go to the right outlet or that will make a big problem
Regards
Bob
ROLson1039 aol.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:21:45 -0700
From: kroger ucla.edu
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?

Hi, just wonder if anybody has thoughts on this. I have an 88 F-150 4x4
302 4-speed auto overdrive. It has new slightly oversize tires (265/75x15,
instead of stock 235/75x15). That's 45mm (~1.75") oversize. Generally,
I can not break my back tires loose.

I spent a week with my brother, who has a 94 (I think) GMC Sierra 1500 2x4
w/ 350 and 4-speed auto w/ overdrive. His truck is WAY quicker than
mine, more than the extra cubic inches should account for. Moreover, it
has throttle-body injection vs. the multi-port in my F-150. I can
break his tires loose at will, in fact, it's almost too easy. And
punching it into passing gear, the GMC has WAY more acceleration
than my Ford.

Both trucks have about 70K miles and are in excellent shape (at least
I thought mine was).

I know I'm probably a little heavier with the 4x4, but his has extended
cab and a fiberglass camper shell. His tires are stock.

Is my motor that much weaker than his, or might this have to do with
my final drive ratio? I know the tires don't help. If anybody knows
what the gear and axle ratios on either of these trucks are that would
help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim


PS - I posted about a wierd problem where my truck would start only
when jumping two posts on the solenoid then letting go. The problem
turned out to be a bad module in the distributor and stator. Works
fine now.



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 20:23:25 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: Archives updated

October list archives have been compiled and are
now on the web site.

Ken Payne
CoAdmin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts
http://www.ford-trucks.com

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 20:35:45 -0500
From: "Christopher Maher"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?

Unfortunately, you have just discovered why the small block Chevy is
considered to be the best V8 ever made. (or at least one of them).
I love my Ford (351) and it goes like a raped ape, but my cousin's Chevy 305
will still dust me, and get 16 MPG to boot, compared to my 10 MPG. I don't
know why, but the Chevy's always idle smoother and have more power than the
comparable Ford engine.
I hope I haven't blasphemed to badly.

Christopher T. Maher
- -----Original Message-----
From: kroger ucla.edu
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: November 28, 1998 8:18 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150
302?


>Hi, just wonder if anybody has thoughts on this. I have an 88 F-150 4x4
>302 4-speed auto overdrive. It has new slightly oversize tires (265/75x15,
>instead of stock 235/75x15). That's 45mm (~1.75") oversize. Generally,
>I can not break my back tires loose.
>
>I spent a week with my brother, who has a 94 (I think) GMC Sierra 1500 2x4
>w/ 350 and 4-speed auto w/ overdrive. His truck is WAY quicker than
>mine, more than the extra cubic inches should account for. Moreover, it
>has throttle-body injection vs. the multi-port in my F-150. I can
>break his tires loose at will, in fact, it's almost too easy. And
>punching it into passing gear, the GMC has WAY more acceleration
>than my Ford.
>
>Both trucks have about 70K miles and are in excellent shape (at least
>I thought mine was).
>
>I know I'm probably a little heavier with the 4x4, but his has extended
>cab and a fiberglass camper shell. His tires are stock.
>
>Is my motor that much weaker than his, or might this have to do with
>my final drive ratio? I know the tires don't help. If anybody knows
>what the gear and axle ratios on either of these trucks are that would
>help.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Jim
>
>
>PS - I posted about a wierd problem where my truck would start only
>when jumping two posts on the solenoid then letting go. The problem
>turned out to be a bad module in the distributor and stator. Works
>fine now.
>
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 20:38:32 EST
From: GLMPILOT aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?

That much weight and the tire size difference can be a big deal
d Jackson
so. Cal dez.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 20:31:01 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?

At 08:35 PM 11/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Unfortunately, you have just discovered why the small block Chevy is
>considered to be the best V8 ever made. (or at least one of them).
>I love my Ford (351) and it goes like a raped ape, but my cousin's Chevy 305
>will still dust me, and get 16 MPG to boot, compared to my 10 MPG. I don't
>know why, but the Chevy's always idle smoother and have more power than the
>comparable Ford engine.
>I hope I haven't blasphemed to badly.
>
>Christopher T. Maher

You have several bad misconceptions.

First, the idle smoothness has to do with firing order and
the cam. A simple cam change can make all the difference
in the world.

Second, gearing, fuel delivery, rubber and a ton of other
factors determine the hp of an engine. I can get just as
many hp per cube out of a Ford as you can with a Chevy.

The Chevy small block gained popularity for two reasons:

1. Ford didn't have a similar offering at the time. Ford
has had similar offerings for years.
2. Its cheap.

#1 doesn't apply anymore. 302s and 351s are great engines.
#2 doesn't apply anymore either the 302 aftermarket is huge.

Ken


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:29:17 -0800
From: Bob Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?

You've gotten a few good responses. Timing, gearing ratios(both rear-end and
tranny), and tire sizes all are important factors in barking the tires and
leaving everyone in a trail of smoke off the line...

Bob.


kroger ucla.edu wrote:

> Hi, just wonder if anybody has thoughts on this. I have an 88 F-150 4x4
> 302 4-speed auto overdrive. It has new slightly oversize tires (265/75x15,
> instead of stock 235/75x15). That's 45mm (~1.75") oversize. Generally,
> I can not break my back tires loose.
>
> I spent a week with my brother, who has a 94 (I think) GMC Sierra 1500 2x4
> w/ 350 and 4-speed auto w/ overdrive. His truck is WAY quicker than
> mine, more than the extra cubic inches should account for. Moreover, it
> has throttle-body injection vs. the multi-port in my F-150. I can
> break his tires loose at will, in fact, it's almost too easy. And
> punching it into passing gear, the GMC has WAY more acceleration
> than my Ford.
>
> Both trucks have about 70K miles and are in excellent shape (at least
> I thought mine was).
>
> I know I'm probably a little heavier with the 4x4, but his has extended
> cab and a fiberglass camper shell. His tires are stock.
>
> Is my motor that much weaker than his, or might this have to do with
> my final drive ratio? I know the tires don't help. If anybody knows
> what the gear and axle ratios on either of these trucks are that would
> help.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Jim
>
> PS - I posted about a wierd problem where my truck would start only
> when jumping two posts on the solenoid then letting go. The problem
> turned out to be a bad module in the distributor and stator. Works
> fine now.
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 21:07:15 -0700
From: "D.J. Vincent"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 5-speed manual trans problems.

Just bought a 96 F-150 with the 300-6 and a manual 5-speed. The thing
doesn't want to shift especially into 2nd gear when cold. Also gears
clash slightly when upshifting into 2nd or third. The truck only has a
little over 30,000 miles on it. Anybody else have similar problems?
Thanks.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 00:45:43 -0800
From: Randy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 1990 ford f250 pickup noisy fuel pump

R. O.,
If you decide to tackle the pumps in the tank(s), I'd recommend
removing the bed instead of dropping the tanks. I just did this on my
'87 and the six bed hold-down bolts were HEAVILY rusted, in fact the
only thing the impact hammer finally did was rotate the entire
nut/bolt in the bed. The Ford Bolts are like carriage bolts, smooth
head w/no way to hold fast the bolt it has a square shoulder that's
supposed to keep it from turning. Well, I little bit of time w/the 4"
grinder took care of the heads. I couldn't, however knock the bolts
all the way thru (I hadn't realized they had a shoulder yet). So now
that the nuts hung down from the frame an inch or two (that's how far
I could smack the bolts down), the right-angle grinder made quick work
of them. Disconnected the taillights and gas tank fill nozzles (three
bolts inside each door and one hose clamp on each tube) and voila! My
buddy and my neighbor to help we lifted it off and set it on a 'table'
I fabricated to hold it for a few days. Sounds like alot of work,
eh? I'd do it this way again in a heartbeat! Not no Ch*vy heartbeat
either (those don't beat very well). A leak on the top of the rear
tank was my reason to get under there. It wasn't until I ran the
truck and used the rear tank that I found the leak so I was glad I did
it this way. Also was so easy to reach the upper shock mounts that I
replaced my way-worn-out shocks this weekend too. My suggestion, but
you can get to that tank any 'ol way you please.

Later,
Brew


ROlson1039 aol.com wrote:
>
> theres a fuel pump in each of the tanks whats probably happening is the pump
> is making noise..there is also a valve on the frame that switches betweent
> the two tanks through the switch on the dash...although i suspect its the tank
> pump thats making the noise. If you could live with it live with it cause
> where im from (NYC) you can only get parts from the dealer for these
> applications and they are like $200-250 for the valve and $300 for the pump
> assembly in the tank cause it is sold with the float guage.. also the way the
> tank is situated the lockdown ontop of the tank is usually heavily rusted...
> so its easier to wait as long as you can LOL
> Hope that helps
> Any other questions please feel free to email me ( i went through the problem
> with the gas tanks in March)
> Bob
> ROlson1039 aol.com
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 00:56:05 -0800
From: Randy
Subject: FTE 80-96 - rust-proofing

Gang,
Having removed my bed this weekend ('87 F-250, 83k) I noticed a LOT of
rust on my frame and suspension, tanks, shocks (the steel boot just
flaked away with very little pressure). I'm not talking normal
surface rust, this is deep-layered flakey stuff. This is excessive
even for northern Ohio with all our salt. The truck was rustproofed
at one time. The tell-tale sign is where some of it still exists
although easily flaked off with a little pressure from the fingernail
along with all the rust behind and beside it. Alot of the rust comes
off in flakes too, I suppose that's also the rustproofing, but the
outer most layer (black) has already fallen off. Anyway it seems to
me that this rustproofing (dont' know if factory or after-market)
actually ACCELERATED the rusting process. Anyone have any experience
of know-how in such a thing?
I just got the truck ready for plowing (I'm the only one to plow w/it
last two seasons and they both SUCKED for any plowing) and will be
putting the bed back on tomorrow. I plan to do alot of work on the
truck come springtime (especially if it's a great plow season) and I'd
like to remove the bed again, cab & fenders and give the frame a good
cleaning. Anyone know of any good rust-inhibiting chemicals and/or
paints?

There's two questions in there somewhere I think,
Later,
Brew
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 01:23:21 -0500
From: "Chris"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my F-150 302?

I have an "88 F150 w/302 4x4 w 4" lift and 35"x12.50's w/187 thous.and it
won't smoke 'em either but has plenty of get up and go when punched love
that TPI .
Chris
- -----Original Message-----
From: Bob Kennedy
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Saturday, November 28, 1998 9:27 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Why is my brother's GMC 350 way faster than my
F-150 302?


>You've gotten a few good responses. Timing, gearing ratios(both rear-end
and
>tranny), and tire sizes all are important factors in barking the tires and
>leaving everyone in a trail of smoke off the line...
>
>Bob.
>
>
>kroger ucla.edu wrote:
>
>> Hi, just wonder if anybody has thoughts on this. I have an 88 F-150 4x4
>> 302 4-speed auto overdrive. It has new slightly oversize tires
(265/75x15,
>> instead of stock 235/75x15). That's 45mm (~1.75") oversize. Generally,
>> I can not break my back tires loose.
>>
>> I spent a week with my brother, who has a 94 (I think) GMC Sierra 1500
2x4
>> w/ 350 and 4-speed auto w/ overdrive. His truck is WAY quicker than
>> mine, more than the extra cubic inches should account for. Moreover, it
>> has throttle-body injection vs. the multi-port in my F-150. I can
>> break his tires loose at will, in fact, it's almost too easy. And
>> punching it into passing gear, the GMC has WAY more acceleration
>> than my Ford.
>>
>> Both trucks have about 70K miles and are in excellent shape (at least
>> I thought mine was).
>>
>> I know I'm probably a little heavier with the 4x4, but his has extended
>> cab and a fiberglass camper shell. His tires are stock.
>>
>> Is my motor that much weaker than his, or might this have to do with
>> my final drive ratio? I know the tires don't help. If anybody knows
>> what the gear and axle ratios on either of these trucks are that would....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.