80-96-list-digest Saturday, November 14 1998 Volume 02 : Number 387



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 80-96 - Couldn't get Truck out of Park
FTE 80-96 - 1990 Ford XLT
FTE 80-96 - RE: I-6 valvetrain questions
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 4-speed F350 tranny interchange
Subject: FTE 80-96 - re: battery savers
FTE 80-96 - Mass Air vs. Speed Density
RE: FTE 80-96 - K&N
FTE 80-96 - 300 ci gas mileage
FTE 80-96 - Re: Questions about tire size
Re: FTE 80-96 - K&N
FTE 80-96 - Emissions Test at Idle
Re: FTE 80-96 - Emissions Test at Idle
FTE 80-96 - Can you clean Fuel Injectors?
FTE 80-96 - Diesel leaking back
Re: FTE 80-96 - Can you clean Fuel Injectors?
Re: FTE 80-96 - Diesel leaking back
RE: FTE 80-96 - Emissions Test at Idle
FTE 80-96 - RE: Tires & Snow
FTE 80-96 - RE: K&N
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: K&N
FTE 80-96 - re: oil pressure
FTE 80-96 - Re: Surge
Re:FTE 80-96 - battery cable resistance
Re: FTE 80-96 - Couldn't get Truck out of Park
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: K&N
Re: FTE 80-96 - Can you clean Fuel Injectors?
FTE 80-96 - Few more questions about my 96 Explorer
Re: FTE 80-96 - Can you clean Fuel Injectors?
Re: FTE 80-96 - 300 ci gas mileage
Re: FTE 80-96 - oil pressure
Re: FTE 80-96 - Emissions Test at Idle
Re: FTE 80-96 - Diesel leaking back
Re: FTE 80-96 - Few more questions about my 96 Explorer
Re: FTE 80-96 - Few more questions about my 96 Explorer

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 05:45:22 -0600
From: danny
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Couldn't get Truck out of Park

I have a 94 f150 and am sure glad mine doesn't have that safety device on it .
i know it doesn't because i shorted my tail lights and had to replace the
same fuse.
some times older is better .

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:23:34 -0500
From: "Mckinney, Rodney A."
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 1990 Ford XLT

I have a 1990 ford xlt lariat =
302v.=A0=20

Yesterday when I got home from work I noticed smoke coming from under =
the
hood.=A0 I raised the hood and there was oil sprayed all over the =
driver side
fender brake booster and everything else.=A0=20

I had had a problem with the oil sending unit a couple of days before =
and
had replaced it.=A0=20

Yesterday I changed the oil, new filter and replaced the sending unit
again.=A0=A0

The old sending unit seemed ok as did the oil filter.=A0 Any =
guesses?=A0=20

=A0

=A0
Rod McKinney
Reynolds Metals Co.
(804) 281-4571=A0=A0=A0=A0 Phone=20
(804) 281-3856=A0=A0=A0=A0 Fax
ramckinn rm..com =A0=A0 E-mail
=A0
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:05:20 -0600
From: Roger Lane
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: I-6 valvetrain questions

Bruce wrote:
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:15:25 -0400
From: "Irvine Bruce"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Troubleshooting I-6 Valvetrain

I've got a loud "ticking" noise in my 300 I-6 1980 (all stock). Earlier
mechanics were telling me it was the hydraulic lifters, so I replaced them
all
and several somewhat non-straight pushrods. Cleaned out a lot of dirt from
the valve cover and rod cover too. Anyway, I get it all back together and
it
sounds just as bad as before.

What else could it be? I've got low compression in #4,(seems like a valve
problem because it doesn't improve with an oil squirt) but otherwise the
truck
runs like a champ. I don't want to replace the entire valvetrain (from
camshaft on up) because trouble shooting by replacement is awfully
expensive.

What is the logical way to trouble shoot this? The ticking noise doesn't
seem
to be bothering anything so I can take my time I suppose.

By the way, I get about 15 mpg with the 300 I-6 with the 3 speed manual and
a
2.75 rear end. Is this about average? I've heard that the 4 speed overdrive
manual and the I-6 is the best for mileage. Anyone got this combination and
care to comment?

Bruce Irvine

>From what experience that I have had with the I-6 engines, if the valvetrain
does NOT make noise, then that's when you start to worry.
I have an 84 F150, I-6 300, 4 speed overdrive, 107K miles. I get any where
from 14 to 18 MPG. (Don't know what rear end.)
BTW, I am thinking about rebuilding this motor and adding some HP parts, any
suggestions? I know of some guy's that have built these engines and raced
them in a nostalgia division locally, and let me tell you, there wasn't a
small block ch*vy V8 that could keep up with them!

Roger Lane
Test/Support Analyst
(402)241-3570
Roger.Lane IBPINC.COM

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:34:54 -0600
From: "Stephen W. Hansen"
Subject: Subject: FTE 80-96 - 4-speed F350 tranny interchange

Just my two cents.. A friend put a ford diesel trans in a gas engine and for
all intensive purposes it did work. But as he was crawling around putting it
together he discovered one important detail... The diesel trans had no place
to put the starter on. As the diesel Eng. needs more torque to start it, the
aluminum bellhousing wasn't strong enough, so the starter mounting hole is
cast onto the block. He had to remove it and I think he swapped bellhousing,
but am not sure.. Just something to check out before you start the job
Steve

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:37:29 -0600
From: "Stephen W. Hansen"
Subject: Subject: FTE 80-96 - re: battery savers

Where did you get the battery saver at? I found it in a off-beat mag, but
would not prefer to mail order it if necessary
Steve

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:12:07 -0700 (MST)
From: Jeff Crowell T/208-396-6525
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Mass Air vs. Speed Density

Hi, Gang.

A rank newbie question:

I hear a lot about the two methods of air system measurements.
What is the effective difference (i.e. which is better, and why)?

My '93 F-150 I-6 apparently has the speed density
(airbox-->2 hoses-->TB). Is it worth changing? What will it
cost? Where do I get it?


Thanks in advance,

Jeff
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:23:40 -0700
From: "Giddens, Scott"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - K&N

There is another little device you can add to a 4 bbl carb from K&N. It is a
piece that sits inside the filter on top of the carb. It produces laminar
air flow into the carb (smoothes out the air flow) I never saw this thing
until long after I had fuel injection but I wish I had. It is made of
plastic and just creates a venturi effect by rounding off the edges of the
inlet to the carb. The cool thing is that it is not street legal and would
be very hard to spot so it must work good.

Scott

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michael Redden [SMTP:redden enter.net]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 1998 5:13 PM
> To: 80-96-List
> Subject: FTE 80-96 - K&N
>
> Put a K&N on my 4bbl. 351 today. Thought I might notice a little
> difference.
> It was alot more than I expected.
> Better acceleration. I don't know if there will
> be any gas milage improvement or not. Before I installed the K&N,
> the motor sounded like it was trying to suck in more air
> and couldn't (even with a fresh filter).
> Now I might even go for a less restrictive exhaust.
> I thought the 351's were supposed to be sluggish,
> but I'm pleased with the performance.
>
> Of course before I only had 6 cyl. motors and one truck with a 302 :
>
> Thanks for the suggestions about installing the K&N.
>
> Mike
> redden enter.net
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:05:08 -0500
From: Philip Jern
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 300 ci gas mileage

>By the way, I get about 15 mpg with the 300 I-6 with the 3 speed manual
and
>a
>2.75 rear end. Is this about average? I've heard that the 4 speed
overdrive
>manual and the I-6 is the best for mileage. Anyone got this
combination and
>care to comment?

>Bruce Irvine

I have that combo in my '96 shortbed. I have gotten as much as 22 mpg
(on a trip from Indianapolis to Knoxville, where i filled it again).
Towing our popup camper, I got 16-17 MPG, which I attributed to the much
greater use of 4th gear (vice OD) for cruising.

Phil Jern

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:22:41 -0900
From: "L WALTERS"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: Questions about tire size

Andy wrote:
Now that we are starting to get snow in the mountains AND I need
new tires, I have a question about optimum tire size for traction in the
snow (generally: which is better a narrower tire or a wider tire
(assuming the same tread design)).
As far as I can figure, a narrower tire will have a smaller contact
patch, resulting in more pressure applied to the ground (snow). I would
imagine that this would result in more "bite" -> better traction. On the
other hand, a wider tire will have more tread surface to do the
gripping.****
Andy, your first theory was what I've found to be true. Years ago I
swithced to narrow tires for the winter, but I can't avoid driving on snow
and Ice, pulling snowmachine trailers on the week-end on highway or running
around town I have better control all-around with narrow. Bart

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:58:00 -0600
From: Steve Randa
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - K&N

What Scott is referring to is the "StubStack". They make them for carbs
with or without choke horns. They have since designed a complete air
cleaner unit called "Flow Control" that provides the same function only
a little better.

Steve

Giddens, Scott wrote:

> There is another little device you can add to a 4 bbl carb from K&N.
> It is a
> piece that sits inside the filter on top of the carb. It produces
> laminar
> air flow into the carb (smoothes out the air flow) I never saw this
> thing
> until long after I had fuel injection but I wish I had. It is made of
> plastic and just creates a venturi effect by rounding off the edges of
> the
> inlet to the carb. The cool thing is that it is not street legal and
> would
> be very hard to spot so it must work good.
>
> Scott
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Michael Redden [SMTP:redden enter.net]
> > Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 1998 5:13 PM
> > To: 80-96-List
> > Subject: FTE 80-96 - K&N
> >
> > Put a K&N on my 4bbl. 351 today. Thought I might notice a little
> > difference.
> > It was alot more than I expected.
> > Better acceleration. I don't know if there will
> > be any gas milage improvement or not. Before I installed the K&N,
> > the motor sounded like it was trying to suck in more air
> > and couldn't (even with a fresh filter).
> > Now I might even go for a less restrictive exhaust.
> > I thought the 351's were supposed to be sluggish,
> > but I'm pleased with the performance.
> >
> > Of course before I only had 6 cyl. motors and one truck with a 302
> :
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions about installing the K&N.
> >
> > Mike
> > redden enter.net
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:22:41 -0500
From: "msalvetti"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Emissions Test at Idle

Hi everybody. I have a 1986 F150 with the 5L FI engine. Here in
Massachusetts I have to pass an emissions test at idle once a year. It
seems like my truck always has a hard time passing, and the guys at the
shop (I always go to the same station) say it's because my truck is a Ford
("They all do this."). Eventually I pass, but it usually means a series of
starts and stops, holding the truck at high idle, and some "tweaking" of
the machine. I might be there a half hour or longer.

I always go after a good hard highway run, so I know the catalyst is hot.
I keep the truck well-maintained (plugs, filters, timing, etc). I use
Mobil 87 octane, it doesn't ping, and I get 15-17 mpg. Usually I fail
because of high hydrocarbon readings.

Any ideas? Has anyone tried the gasoline additives they sell to help pass?
I have to go through this next month, and I'd like to try and make it a
bit less painful.

Thanks!

Mark
1986 F150 5L, 4-spd, 2WD
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:18:20 -0000
From: "Radoje Spasojevic"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Emissions Test at Idle

High hydrocarbon readings mean that your engine is running rich. The
hydrocarbons are bit of unburnt fuel that is going out the pipe. There are
two ways to get an over rich mixture: too much fuel; or not enough air. At
idle on an EFI engine the amount of air reaching the intake is controlled by
the Idle Air Bypass valve which allows air to pass the closed throttle body.
I would suggest removing the Idle Air Bypass valve and give it a good
cleaning. If that does not help then perhaps a replacement is in order.

Rade
- -----Original Message-----
From: msalvetti
To: Ford Trucks 80-96
Date: Friday, November 13, 1998 1:26 AM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Emissions Test at Idle


>Hi everybody. I have a 1986 F150 with the 5L FI engine. Here in
>Massachusetts I have to pass an emissions test at idle once a year. It
>seems like my truck always has a hard time passing, and the guys at the
>shop (I always go to the same station) say it's because my truck is a Ford
>("They all do this."). Eventually I pass, but it usually means a series of
>starts and stops, holding the truck at high idle, and some "tweaking" of
>the machine. I might be there a half hour or longer.
>
>I always go after a good hard highway run, so I know the catalyst is hot.
>I keep the truck well-maintained (plugs, filters, timing, etc). I use
>Mobil 87 octane, it doesn't ping, and I get 15-17 mpg. Usually I fail
>because of high hydrocarbon readings.
>
>Any ideas? Has anyone tried the gasoline additives they sell to help pass?
> I have to go through this next month, and I'd like to try and make it a
>bit less painful.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Mark
>1986 F150 5L, 4-spd, 2WD
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:37:43 -0700
From: "Glenn Koepnick"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Can you clean Fuel Injectors?

Can you take out and clean fuel injectors or is it better and cheap enough
to just replace them?
If you clean them how do you know they are better off then when you started?

Just curious.

Glenn Koepnick
Tucson, AZ

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 00:50:25 -0600
From: Larry Ford
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Diesel leaking back

Having problems with a 86 F250 wit 6.9 Diesel leaking fuel back after
sitting for an hour or overnight.

Larry
86 F250 XLT 6.9 Diesel
87 Ranger
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 01:09:11 -0600
From: "BigRed"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Can you clean Fuel Injectors?

I just had to buy two and I paid around $100. Then I look and I see I could
have bought a set of them for a little over $400. I was told that you have
to have them cleaned with this fancy little thing that hooks up to your fuel
line with fuel injector cleaner in it and run the engine. You can take them
out and clean around the sprayer but that is about it. I don't know how much
that costs but it shouldn't be any higher than $100 even though it isn't
cheap to have a shop do anything for you.
- -----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Koepnick
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Thursday, November 12, 1998 9:34 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Can you clean Fuel Injectors?


>Can you take out and clean fuel injectors or is it better and cheap enough
>to just replace them?
>If you clean them how do you know they are better off then when you
started?
>
>Just curious.
>
>Glenn Koepnick
>Tucson, AZ
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 05:14:53 -0600
From: "Bruce Morgan"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Diesel leaking back

I have the same problem with an 1989 7.3 diesel. I have been told that the
tanks should have check valves in them to keep the fuel from leaking back
into them. I recently took the fuel line off at the pump and blew into it
and sure enough I could hear air bubbles in the tank, I switch tanks and the
other one did the same. So does anyone know if they do have check valves
for sure, if so where are they and how are they replaced? Sorry I wasn't
alot of help Larry but that is all I know.

- -----Original Message-----
From: Larry Ford
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Friday, November 13, 1998 1:06 AM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Diesel leaking back


>Having problems with a 86 F250 wit 6.9 Diesel leaking fuel back after
>sitting for an hour or overnight.
>
>Larry
>86 F250 XLT 6.9 Diesel
>87 Ranger
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:00:29 -0600
From: "Baldwin, Dave"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Emissions Test at Idle

I don't know how many miles are on your truck, but it is getting on in
years.
The purpose of the catalyst is to help complete the combustion process, so
you don't get unburned fuel (HC emissions) coming out the tailpipe. These
things don't last forever, and perhaps after 12 - 13 years, yours is shot.

Of course replacing this won't help if there's no oxygen left to react fuel
with.
Sometimes an air pump is used to make sure that the catalyst gets a
plentiful
supply of oxygen, but I don't know if your truck had one. It may just be
that
you're running a little too rich at idle. If you have an EGO (Exhaust Gas
Oxygen) sensor, the controller should see that this is happening and adjust.
You might check this sensor, also.

>From what you say, you're getting good milage (I have the same truck, but a
'95 with mass air system and you're getting what I'm getting) and it's
running well. Sounds like you don't have much of a problem--whatever it is.
It's some money to replace the catalyst, so I dont know if you would want to
do this on a whim without checking some of the other sensors first.

Good luck,
Dave Baldwin
Dallas, TX

- ---------------------

Hi everybody. I have a 1986 F150 with the 5L FI engine. Here in
Massachusetts I have to pass an emissions test at idle once a year. It
seems like my truck always has a hard time passing, and the guys at the
shop (I always go to the same station) say it's because my truck is a Ford
("They all do this."). Eventually I pass, but it usually means a series of
starts and stops, holding the truck at high idle, and some "tweaking" of
the machine. I might be there a half hour or longer.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:10:42 -0800
From: "Posluszny, Walt (POSL)"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: Tires & Snow

[snip]
> >
> > Hello,
> > Now that we are starting to get snow in the mountains AND I need
> > new tires, I have a question about optimum tire size for traction in
> the
> > snow (generally: which is better a narrower tire or a wider tire
> > (assuming the same tread design)).[snip]

It depends on how deep the 'typical' snowfall is in your area. If
you get lot's of deep snow...go for wider tires...they will float up on the
snow but get an aggressive tread with wide, deep lugs....just like mudders
but not quite sand tires.

If the snow you deal with isn't very deep very often, go with the
same aggressive tread pattern but use narrow tires that will dig down into
the snow and bite solid ground underneath.

Based on my own experience living in the foothills of the rockies
for 8 years. Walt
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:03:12 -0500
From: lordjanusz juno.com (Paul M Radecki)
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: K&N

: GLMPILOT aol.com inquired:
>>any one no how it works with a I 6 and how much can i tow

My '94 Big Six loves its K&N. I could tow the U.S.S. Nimitz if I
had a big enough trailer (remember Joe Isuzu?). Seriously, though, the
K&N made a noticeable improvement in power. As far as towing goes, I'd
be willing to bet that your 300 will handle a lot more load than your
springs/tires/bearings/differential/U-joints/tranny/clutch/brakes/hitch
(check one or more) will!

lordjanusz juno.com

"He who lives by the sword, dies by the clothyard shaft!"

___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:42:05 +0000
From: "Brian J. Babiuk"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: K&N

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:03:12 -0500, Paul M Radecki wrote:

>: GLMPILOT aol.com inquired:
>>>any one no how it works with a I 6 and how much can i tow
>
> My '94 Big Six loves its K&N. I could tow the U.S.S. Nimitz if I
>had a big enough trailer (remember Joe Isuzu?). Seriously, though, the
>K&N made a noticeable improvement in power. As far as towing goes, I'd
>be willing to bet that your 300 will handle a lot more load than your
>springs/tires/bearings/differential/U-joints/tranny/clutch/brakes/hitch
>(check one or more) will!


K&N Air Filters are that good? How long do they last?
- --
Brian J. Babiuk
bbabiuk home.com

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:01:03 -0900
From: "L WALTERS"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - re: oil pressure

Oil pressure will go down over time as an engine wears. The lowest pressure
will be seen at idle, pressure is directly related to engine rpm until
pressure reaches the relief valve setting (most eng. around 40-50psi). All
oil filters have a spring-loaded bypass for when oil is cold, too cold to
pass through filter. this bypass will close off as oil reaches operating
temp. With a cheap filter, sudden bursts of oil pressure ( even at operating
temp) will open this bypass briefly, thus lowering press briefly. My
favorite oilfilters: Wix, Napa (made by Wix) Motorcraft, Fleetguard, AC.
The ones I never buy , even for my Hondas: Fram, Purolator, all supermarket
filters. ( you get what you pay for) .

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:03:32 -0900
From: "L WALTERS"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: Surge

Mark wrote:
I have surge problems!

At idle all is fine unless the ac, heater, defrost are turned on then
the 302 efi surges to 2000 rpms and then drops so low the engine dies.

Any ideas?
* Mark, Idle Air Control Valve?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 20:44:02 -0500
From: troyw mfi.net (Troy Williams)
Subject: Re:FTE 80-96 - battery cable resistance

On 5 Nov 98, at 5:49, Ken Justice wrote:

>I had a similar experience with a vehicle where I replaced everything
>replaceable (except the cables as I thought they were in good condition).
>But I still had problems starting (especially if it were a hot day) until
>I finally replaced the cables. With that action all my starting problems
>disappeared! I attributed the problem to too much resistance in the
>starter cable.

I noticed that my battery cables are in HORRIBLE shape. The
insulation has work off in quite a number of the spots on the cable.
Anyway, I am going to be replacing those in the near future as
well.. Anyway, when it rains and I go through a puddle and shut
the truck off, the thing gives up one heck of a fight trying to get it
started again. :(

I had gotten some ignition sealer and it seems to do just fine, but
then I am wondering of the battery cables can be part of the
problem.

Anyway, I noticed on some days after driving the truck a little bit, if
I shut it off, let it sit for a little while, go back out and start it, let it
idle for a few seconds, put it in gear and try to take off, the thing
bogs down like it's about to stall, it then kicks, and then takes off.
It's a little bit of an annoyance really. Could that be causing any
problems to anything on the truck? Thanks.


You might be a redneck if... Your school dress code contains the
line, 'Shoes Optional' - Jeff Foxworthy


Troy Williams
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.mfi.net/~troyw
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 20:44:02 -0500
From: troyw mfi.net (Troy Williams)
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Couldn't get Truck out of Park

On 11 Nov 98, at 15:19, Matt Fitzsimmons wrote:

>Ford started intalling these interlocks in response to unitended
>acceleration law suit losses. Ford, along with all the other maunfactures
>claimed there was nothing wrong with the vehicles, that the problem was
>people stepping on the gas rather than the brake while shifting into
>drive. To prove the point, and to stop the the law suits, manufactures
>started intalling these lockouts. As far as I know there hasn't been a
>single case of unitended acceleration lost by any manufacturer of a
>vehicle with the brake/shift lock out.

Well, I have to ask another question.

The other day, I was leaving to go somewhere, and I ended up
talking with someone while the truck was running. It seemed like it
running alright, when I put it in gear, the thing went for a few feet,
then stalled.

I had gone ahead and shifted into neutral, started it, and then forgot
to push the brake down all the way before shifting back into drive.
The transmission didn't clank, the truck just sat there, and when I
pressed the gas, it took off, I didn't hear any kinds of odd sounds or
anything.

I was wondering if that could have damaged the trasmission in any
way. It was a mixture of me being an idiot, and then trying to do a
few things at once. :(

You might be a redneck if... You decorate your Christmas Tree with
beer can tabs. - Jeff Foxworthy


Troy Williams
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.mfi.net/~troyw
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:15:50 EST
From: GLMPILOT aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: K&N

I will have to try one I do tow a 22 . 6 ft boat and I am planing to buy a
trailer for going to the dunes (enclosed, shower,stove,craper,stuff like that)
to carry the bikes.
Dry weight is 3400lbs. add h2o , bikes and gear it will be up there in
weight.
It just goes slow up hills and am looking for more power, thanks ill try the
K&N.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:46:08 EST
From: Dc9315 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Can you clean Fuel Injectors?

yes injectors can be cleaned, there is a place in nashville, tn. jenkins
diesel service,,,, 615-256-8680,,,, they ultra sonic clean them, replace the
filters in them then put the injectors in a flow tester, and flow test all of
them at one time and measure the amount each one flows and equalize the
flow.... one of the problems with injectors is the small filters will
restrict fuel flow,,,, he does a good job.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:58:06 -0500
From: Robert Bowen
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Few more questions about my 96 Explorer

Hello list,
I have a couple more questions about my '96 explorer 2 door. It has the black
paint. My question is - There seems to be something under the paint. There was some
bird-doo on it, that I didn't get off right away. (It sat for about 8 hours or so).
Now it appears to have eaten through the paint. This has happened in a number of
spots. Is something like this natural? Shouldn't clear-coat prevent this? I am
just wondering if the original owner had it re-painted with a sub-standard paint. If
someone could give me some insight, I would appreciate it.

My other question is, how many oxygen sensors should this truck have? The dealer is
telling me three, but I am only finding one in my parts book at work.

Thanks,
Rob

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 22:10:30 EST
From: GLMPILOT aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Can you clean Fuel Injectors?

would that give a f, i, i6 a hesitation prob.my truck dose this under load
Dwayne Jackson
so cal desz
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 22:12:53 EST
From: GLMPILOT aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 300 ci gas mileage

my truck seems to suck the gas 95 5speed F.I. I 6
d Jackson
so cal dez
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:28:00 -0800
From: Randy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - oil pressure

Red,
I don't remember what truck you have, but is the oil pump in the front
of the oil pan? If so, the g-forces may be pushing the oil to the
back of the pan. Just a thought.

Later,
Brew

BigRed wrote:
>
> Hi all. My oil pressure seems to want to mess with my head. I've got a new
> pump, sending unit and guage. It just started happening two days ago. When I
> hit the gas my pressure goes down until I hold a steady speed then it goes
> to normal and when I idle it goes way down. The harder I step on the gas the
> lower it goes. I'm kind of stumped since it's all new. The only thing I can
> figure is that the oil pump drive shaft is getting rounded and doesn't turn
> the pump right, but when I had it apart the shaft was as square as can be. I
> checked the wire going to the sending unit and it has continuity. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:44:01 -0800
From: Randy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Emissions Test at Idle

Mark,
I'm usually one who likes to fix the actual problem, but in this case
maybe not. If your truck is running good and the plugs don't show any
indication of running rich then I'd try some of the "HC
reduction-in-a-bottle". My boss' dad took his 85 Century (25k miles,
no joke) in for his bi-annual tailpipe test (not just at idle, either)
and he failed. He went to the auto parts store and bought some of
that stuff. Dumped it in the tank and went for about a 30+ minute
drive. When he returned the guys at the test station said "You got
that fixed already?" and he said yep so they retested and he passed.
I guess if you usually pass anyway (even if it costs you 30 minutes or
so) and don't have the money or don't want to spend it on the fix,
spend a few bucks on the bottle. What do you have to lose?

Later,
Brew

msalvetti wrote:
>
> Hi everybody. I have a 1986 F150 with the 5L FI engine. Here in
> Massachusetts I have to pass an emissions test at idle once a year. It
> seems like my truck always has a hard time passing, and the guys at the
> shop (I always go to the same station) say it's because my truck is a Ford
> ("They all do this."). Eventually I pass, but it usually means a series of
> starts and stops, holding the truck at high idle, and some "tweaking" of
> the machine. I might be there a half hour or longer.
>
> I always go after a good hard highway run, so I know the catalyst is hot.
> I keep the truck well-maintained (plugs, filters, timing, etc). I use
> Mobil 87 octane, it doesn't ping, and I get 15-17 mpg. Usually I fail
> because of high hydrocarbon readings.
>
> Any ideas? Has anyone tried the gasoline additives they sell to help pass?
> I have to go through this next month, and I'd like to try and make it a
> bit less painful.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark
> 1986 F150 5L, 4-spd, 2WD
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:46:00 -0800
From: Randy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Diesel leaking back

Guys,
Isn't the check valve supposed to be in the fuel pump? I always
thought that anyway, correct me here if I'm wrong.

Later,
Brew

Bruce Morgan wrote:
>
> I have the same problem with an 1989 7.3 diesel. I have been told that the
> tanks should have check valves in them to keep the fuel from leaking back
> into them. I recently took the fuel line off at the pump and blew into it
> and sure enough I could hear air bubbles in the tank, I switch tanks and the
> other one did the same. So does anyone know if they do have check valves
> for sure, if so where are they and how are they replaced? Sorry I wasn't
> alot of help Larry but that is all I know.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Larry Ford
> To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Date: Friday, November 13, 1998 1:06 AM
> Subject: FTE 80-96 - Diesel leaking back
>
> >Having problems with a 86 F250 wit 6.9 Diesel leaking fuel back after
> >sitting for an hour or overnight.
> >
> >Larry
> >86 F250 XLT 6.9 Diesel
> >87 Ranger
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:05:01 -0500
From: Andre Roy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Few more questions about my 96 Explorer

Robert Bowen wrote:
>
> Hello list,
> I have a couple more questions about my '96 explorer 2 door. It has the black
> paint. My question is - There seems to be something under the paint. There was some
> bird-doo on it, that I didn't get off right away. (It sat for about 8 hours or so).
> Now it appears to have eaten through the paint. This has happened in a number of
> spots. Is something like this natural?
>
natural as... uh..... Yeah, natural, organic fertilizer. Depends on what
the bird ate. You should see what happens in blueberry season.


> Shouldn't clear-coat prevent this?
>
Clear coat is just paint without pigment. It looks really nice, but it's
paint. Acid in bird .... exaust emmissions... can affect any paint.

I am
> just wondering if the original owner had it re-painted with a sub-standard paint. If
> someone could give me some insight, I would appreciate it.
>
Well, the paint's the (bird) sh!ts. (sorry, couldn't resist) Maybe,
maybe, some rubbing compund can take it out, I don't know. You'd have to
get someone more knowledgable. Factory paint will also take on that...
dirty diaper look. Wax helps, if applied before the fact.


> My other question is, how many oxygen sensors should this truck have? The dealer is
> telling me three, but I am only finding one in my parts book at work.
>
I would think only one, in the exaust. Some Two-Bank engines (V6, V8
....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.