80-96-list-digest Thursday, October 29 1998 Volume 02 : Number 373



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 80-96 - hesatation prob
FTE 80-96 - Re : Block Heaters
Re: FTE 80-96 - fuel pump noise
Re: FTE 80-96 - TBI
FTE 80-96 - Speed Density modifications
FTE 80-96 - RE: Horse Trailering
Re: FTE 80-96 - TBI
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Horse Trailering
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Horse Trailering
FTE 80-96 - Re: horn and cruise control out... oops!
Re: FTE 80-96 - ol' red
Re: FTE 80-96 - Speed Density modifications
Re: FTE 80-96 - hesatation prob
Re: FTE 80-96 - Paint Jobs and Prices
FTE 80-96 - Re: Diesel Fuel Injection Pump
FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: SoCal Pickups
RE: FTE 80-96 - Re:
[none]
RE: FTE 80-96 - Re:dual exhaust
FTE 80-96 - more power
FTE 80-96 - Exhaust Question
Re: FTE 80-96 - Speed Density modifications
Re: FTE 80-96 - more power

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 07:54:48 -0600
From: "Rick Wojciechowski"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - hesatation prob

GLMPILOT aol.com wrote:

> I don't no how to bring the codes up ,but I changed the cap and rotor that
> seemed to help a little, also my slave cylinder is going out in the trans. I
> have to keep putting fluid in the res.how hard is that to change? Dwayne j
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

Dwayne,
Here is an article to tell you how to get your codes.
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.c-edge.com/shotimes/references/eecarticle.TXT
Ummm, I don't have a slave cylinder, but I have heard they
are kinda a p.i.t.a. :-(

- --
Thanks,
Rick Wojo
'83 Fsize BRONCO,Stock I-6,"The BROWN BULL",33x12.5x15-Mud Terrains
'92 Mstng 5.0L
'95 eclipse-Wife's(For Sale)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:40:51 -0800
From: "Posluszny, Walt (POSL)"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re : Block Heaters

> Melody, My experience is, you can plug them in whenever you want no
> matter what the temp. They do make a fair amount of noise when you plug
> them in on an ice cold block but have never had a problem and I was sure
> glad I had them. Walt
>
> [snip]
> From: "melody engle"
> Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Am I overwarming my truck?
>
> I've been told you need to plug those electric block heaters in
> while
> the engine is warm to avoid a cracked head. This being true when it
> is
> especially cold and it heats up too fast. Sounds a little berserk.
> Any
> fact to it? [snip]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:51:38 -0600
From: "David J. Baldwin"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - fuel pump noise

Joe Van Beckum wrote:

> i recently bought a 95 f150 w/a v-8 302 ,, it has two gas tanks ,, when
> the front tank nears empty ,, i can hear a high pitched humming noise
> from the tank area,, i think its the fuel pump because it stops when i
> switch to the rear tank,,it also stops if i fill the front tank ,,

Joe,

Don't know if it's about to fail (have the same truck), but one thing you
should not do is allow your tank to run dry. The pump depends on
circulating fuel to cool itself, and if it's sucking air, it can overheat
and fail. I would think that if it doesn't do this until it's almost empty,
the noise may be telling you that you're about to run dry. Note the fuel
gage when this happens, and switch over before you get to that level from
now on.

You might want to leave some reserve in the other tank until you have some
confidence that it's not going to fail on you. I have not heard this in my
truck--but then I refuel at about 1/8 tank.

- --
Dave Baldwin
Dallas, TX
- --------------------------------------------------------------


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:59:55 -0600
From: "David J. Baldwin"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - TBI

Matt Fitzsimmons wrote:

> ... I don't know that it's a lot easier then installing a
> Ford EFI (which I did to my '82 300"). The Ford system started right up
> and tuned itself without me ever having to look at it.

Matt,

Did you just get a complete harness for a later truck and then plug it in, or
did you have to do a bunch of wiring? If you were doing a bunch of wiring,
you'd have to know the EECIV version and pinout. Where do you get that
information?

- --
Dave Baldwin
Dallas, TX
- --------------------------------------------------------------


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 12:44:45 -0500
From: lordjanusz juno.com (Paul M Radecki)
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Speed Density modifications

I've been discussing Speed Density vs Mass Air off-list with Jim
(kroger ucla.edu). We want to know what engine modifications anyone has
done to a Speed Density truck, and what the effects were. Headers?
Chips? Cat-back? I've had no problem with my K&N (in fact, it helped a
lot) but I've not done anything else to this truck (yet...). What mods
are forbidden by the Speed Density computer, and what will it do if you
try them? I've heard lots of rumors and opinions, so some firsthand
stories would be enlightening. Thanks!

lordjanusz juno.com kroger ucla.edu

"He who lives by the sword, dies by the clothyard shaft!"

___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:23:38 -0500
From: lordjanusz juno.com (Paul M Radecki)
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: Horse Trailering

Shy Anne said:
> We have 3 horses and i was wondering if our 2
>horse trailer with 2 of our horses in it is too much for this size
>truck. and also if i was to get a 16' stock trailer and put all 3
>horses in it, would that be too much? I would like to be able to take
>all 3 horses places instead of just 2.

My '94 F150 (6-cyl, extra leaf springs, 3.55 gears) will handle a
2-horse trailer and a truckload of gear... barely. I would not attempt
to pull three. My concerns:
1. Safety. If you push everything to the limit (brakes, hitch,
axle, tires, bearings, suspension, etc) you increase the odds that
something will fail catastrophically. Being stranded is no fun,
especially with horses. I don't even want to think about the worst case.

2. Durability. Even if nothing fails, you'll use up your
vehicle fast if you over-exert it. A friend has been towing his two
horses with a V-6 GMC van. At 80,000 miles the thing is completely worn
out. I talked him into getting an F250HD crew cab. Now THAT's a truck
to pull a 16' stock trailer!
3. Ethics. When I'm pulling live animals I want an extra large
safety margin. 'Nuff said.

In the long run it might be cheaper and safer to invest in an
F250HD or F350 rather than fixing up and maintaining your F150. It
sounds to me like you're REALLY into horses, and if that's the case
you'll get your money's worth out of a heavier truck IMHO.
Welcome to the list! Ford trucks and horses are two of my
favorite pastimes.

lordjanusz juno.com

"He who lives by the sword, dies by the clothyard shaft!"

___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:28:14 -0500
From: "Matt Fitzsimmons"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - TBI

- ----------
> From: David J. Baldwin
> To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - TBI
> Date: Wednesday, October 28, 1998 11:59 AM
>
>
>
> Matt Fitzsimmons wrote:
>
> > ... I don't know that it's a lot easier then installing a
> > Ford EFI (which I did to my '82 300"). The Ford system started right
up
> > and tuned itself without me ever having to look at it.
>
> Matt,
>
> Did you just get a complete harness for a later truck and then plug it
in, or
> did you have to do a bunch of wiring? If you were doing a bunch of
wiring,
> you'd have to know the EECIV version and pinout. Where do you get that
> information?
>
> --
> Dave Baldwin
> Dallas, TX


I had an entire '88 truck to scavenge parts from. There were not that many
connections to make.
If I remember;
ignition on
start
brake on/off (might have been power steering switch)
main power relay
fuel pump relay
I used the entire engine harness from the '88. Made up a steel box and
mounted the computer and relays on the drives side fender liner. I used
the wye pipe and converters off the '88 as well, that gave me the HEGO
sensor mount. The MAP sensor was mounted on the heater box. I think
everything else was on the engine, and just connected up the harness.
Probably the trickiest part was installing a fuel pump and return line. (
Something you need, no matter what EFI you use )

I don't recall what I used for a wiring diagram, I have the service manuals
for the '88, and there are simplified diagrams in there. The EEC IV
pinouts are on the diagram, but that would be a LOT wiring, using the
harness is much easier.

BTW, the increase in power and towing ability from the 300 when converted
to EFI was nothing short of amazing.

Good Luck, Matt

"nothing is impossible, difficult just costs more"
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:45:47 -0800 (PST)
From: shy anne
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Horse Trailering

I don't have the money right now to buy a larger truck.
I wish I did. I would love to have a bigger stronger truck. (a 1 ton
4-door dually diesel would be nice.)
We don't haul very much at all. Mainly to the vet.
Sometimes we have a rodeo series that goes on 4 saturdays in a row.
The arena and the vet are only about 30 miles from us. I understand
about the safety of the animals. = ) By the way, has anyone seen
those new 6 door "cowboy cadillacs"?? Just wondering what yall thought
about them. They are so...different.







- ---Paul M Radecki wrote:
>
> Shy Anne said:
> > We have 3 horses and i was wondering if our 2
> >horse trailer with 2 of our horses in it is too much for this size
> >truck. and also if i was to get a 16' stock trailer and put all 3
> >horses in it, would that be too much? I would like to be able to
take
> >all 3 horses places instead of just 2.
>
> My '94 F150 (6-cyl, extra leaf springs, 3.55 gears) will handle a
> 2-horse trailer and a truckload of gear... barely. I would not
attempt
> to pull three. My concerns:
> 1. Safety. If you push everything to the limit (brakes, hitch,
> axle, tires, bearings, suspension, etc) you increase the odds that
> something will fail catastrophically. Being stranded is no fun,
> especially with horses. I don't even want to think about the worst
case.
>
> 2. Durability. Even if nothing fails, you'll use up your
> vehicle fast if you over-exert it. A friend has been towing his two
> horses with a V-6 GMC van. At 80,000 miles the thing is completely
worn
> out. I talked him into getting an F250HD crew cab. Now THAT's a
truck
> to pull a 16' stock trailer!
> 3. Ethics. When I'm pulling live animals I want an extra large
> safety margin. 'Nuff said.
>
> In the long run it might be cheaper and safer to invest in an
> F250HD or F350 rather than fixing up and maintaining your F150. It
> sounds to me like you're REALLY into horses, and if that's the case
> you'll get your money's worth out of a heavier truck IMHO.
> Welcome to the list! Ford trucks and horses are two of my
> favorite pastimes.
>
> lordjanusz juno.com
>
> "He who lives by the sword, dies by the clothyard shaft!"
>
> ___________________________________________________________________
> You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
> Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com
> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

==
- -"God forbid I shall go to any heaven where there are no horses."



_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:04:17 -0500
From: "Michael Redden"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Horse Trailering

As a kid, my Dad pulled horse trailers long distance (hundreds of miles)
with vehicles that were ill equipped to do so.
We were lucky! No accidents, only near ones.
If I were into horses these days, I would have a dually F-350 or
F-250 HD. My neighbor does and they go non-stop with
never a problem. They have more fun knowing they're safe!

Never hurts to have two trucks...

Mike

redden enter.net
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:30:48 -0800
From: Andy
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: horn and cruise control out... oops!

alright guys, about the horn and cruise control question earlier... i
goofed. don't laugh at me, but guess what i did? when i was installing the
c.b. i had pulled out the fuse, then stuck it into the wrong socket..
therefore no cruise or horn! can't believe i was staring at it for so long
without realizing what was wrong.. yeah. (i'm turning red) ;) thanks for the
suggestions,

andy






***************************************************************************
"Ride as far as you've a mind to, shoot straight when you must, but lie to
no man, and let no man doubt your word. It is a poor man who has no honor,
and before you do a deed, think of how you will think back upon it when old
age comes. Do nothing that will shame you."
-Em Talon in Man From The Broken Hills by Louis L'Amour

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:50:21 -0500
From: troyw mfi.net (Troy Williams)
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - ol' red

On 26 Oct 98, at 22:41, shy anne wrote:

>hi i am new to the list. i was wondering if yall knew about how much a
>new paint job would be for my 1983 ford f-150 extended cab. thanks

That mostly depends on the kind of paintjob that you were looking
for. There is just the regulr acrylic, base coat/clear coat, and
enamel. Just depends on what kind of paintjob you were looking
for.

I would suggest that you go to a few body shops in your area and
see what they can recommend for you, and then you take the value
that suits you.

You might be a redneck if... You own a Waffle House credit card.
- Jeff Foxworthy


Troy Williams
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.mfi.net/~troyw
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 19:55:08 -0600
From: "Fast Ford"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Speed Density modifications

On my Lightning, I did, Flowmasters, no-cats, K&N, Chip, Pullies, and
injectors with out going to Mass Air. I have since done quite a bit,
(http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.icon.net/~fastford/lightning.htm) and converted to the Kenne
Bell Mass Air and the only noticable difference was gas mileage. I gained
about 2mpg.
- -----Original Message-----
From: Paul M Radecki
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Cc: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 1998 11:52 AM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Speed Density modifications


> I've been discussing Speed Density vs Mass Air off-list with Jim
>(kroger ucla.edu). We want to know what engine modifications anyone has
>done to a Speed Density truck, and what the effects were. Headers?
>Chips? Cat-back? I've had no problem with my K&N (in fact, it helped a
>lot) but I've not done anything else to this truck (yet...). What mods
>are forbidden by the Speed Density computer, and what will it do if you
>try them? I've heard lots of rumors and opinions, so some firsthand
>stories would be enlightening. Thanks!
>
>lordjanusz juno.com kroger ucla.edu
>
>"He who lives by the sword, dies by the clothyard shaft!"
>
>___________________________________________________________________
>You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
>Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com
>or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:49:19 EST
From: GLMPILOT aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - hesatation prob

thanks ill give that a try, Dwayne
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:23:54 -0500
From: "Michael Redden"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Paint Jobs and Prices

Around here PA), I got a quote from a guy I know that has a body shop
for around $900 with acrylic enamel. That includes taking out the minor
dents
and dings. Also includes lots of sanding and prep work (he does a good
job).
I think he's cheaper than some. Others might charge that price with body
work
extra. Earl Scheib would be less but the paint would last a couple
months!!

What do you guys think about that price? That's for a long bed style-side.

Mike

redden enter.net
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:46:49 PST
From: "Bret Luter"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: Diesel Fuel Injection Pump

OK, You guys seem to be missing the fact that the original post referred
to the Diesel Fuel Injection Pump, not the Fuel pump, there's a world of
difference in price. The fuel pump (the $40 part you guys refer to) is
the same type pump on most older gas engines- it's mechanical- runs off
a cam lobe and it only pumps fuel from the fuel tank(s) to the Injection
Pump. The Injection Pump is the heart of the Diesel engine- if it isn't
working properly, the thing won't run worth a damn. The injection pump
referred to takes the fuel coming in from the fuel pump and pumps it up
to REALLY high pressure and it distributes the fuel to each individual
cylinder via individual fuel injector nozzles. Others have correctly
advised that this is NOT a job for the novice, if you don't get it
installed correctly OR install it with the timing screwed up, you're in
for more problems. I agree with one reply that said to call around to
diesel fuel service specialists, the pump on the 6.9l is similar to
those on big diesel engines used in tractor trailers and heavy
equipment.

Oh yeah, this is just my 0.02 cents worth.

Bret Luter, Raleigh, NC
'85 F350 Crew cab 6.9l (BMW hauler)




Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:17:11 -0500
From: Jeb Barnett
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re:1985 F350 6.9L Diesel Fuel Pump

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:50:02 -0600
> From: "Rick Wojciechowski"
> Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 1985 F350 6.9L Diesel Fuel Pump, oh
boy...
>
> Barnaby Duncan wrote:
>
> > They want $800 for the job, to replace with new. Is this
reasonable? How
> > hard would it be for me to do this myself?
>
> Barnaby,
> Is this thing gold plated or what ? You should definately be
able to
> do it yourself. If it is a mechanical pump then the pump will
run you
> about
$40.00.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>snip

I've replaced my mechanical pump twice on my 89 7.3L and it
was less
than $40 it is a stock item at most auto parts stores,seems the
same
pump also fits International gas engines
also... Ed

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:49:01 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: SoCal Pickups

Dear Ford Truck Enthusiasts list members:

We have a new advertiser on our web site. Since the beginning,
our practice with web site advertisers has been to make a brief
announcement for 2 days (this is day 1 of 2). Please show your
appreciation to SoCal Pick-Ups for helping to support the web
site and the lists by checking them out (this is a temporary page
until they have their site up):

http://www.ford-trucks.com/socal.html

"SoCal Pick-Ups started over 25 years ago as the first restoration
parts business to focus soley on the 53-56 F-100's. Now, SoCal
is now under new ownership. With this new ownership there has
come a renewed emphasis in making sure SoCal is THE place to go
to get the help you need to successfully create the F-100 of
your dreams.

SoCal has made changes in all areas of their operation in order
to bring the best possible service to those rebuilding 1948-1966
F-100's. They have a new catalogue that is updated monthly with
new products, a new customer oriented computer system that keeps
track of every item ever purchased by a customer to enhance their
ability to provide personalized service, and even a few new
employees dedicated to making you successful with your truck
project."

We would like to you to let them know you heard about them via
the Ford Truck Enthusiasts group.

Now returning you to our regularly scheduled program...

Ken Payne
CoAdmin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:55:13 -0600
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Re:

What Rade says below is true, but I seem to recall she has the straight-6
300 cid engine in her truck. If so, not so simple. Again, depends on local
emmisions laws. If legal, you need to replace stock exhaust manifold with
headers designed to run duals. Might as well replace the intake manifold
while you are at it with one that will run a big 4 barrel! (more power,
, )!

If you do, this truck will kick you back in the seat when you get on it!


Rade wrote:
"First you need to check your local emissions laws. Here in Washington you
cannot put dual exhaust on a vehicle that was not originally equipped with
dual exhaust, and you will not pass the emissions test if they find out. If
you have a 4X4 a true dual exhaust is a bit trickier as the transfer case
can be in the way. Other wise it is simply a matter of replacing the
factory Y-pipe two pipes on either side going to their own cat muffler and
tail pipe. Hope this helps.

Rade"
- - -----Original Message-----
From: shy anne
To: ford maillist
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 1998 11:11 PM


>I'm so excited. I got some new wheels and tires for my 83 ford f-150.
> It made the whole truck look newer. I really like it. I thought
>about putting dual exhaust on my truck. How hard is this to do? Also
>I am wanting to get a bed rail and tailgate protector on my truck. I
>looked in the JCWhitney catalog but I can only find it for 87-96 year
>fords. Is there any that will fit my 83?
>TIA
>*Shy*

Jim Cannon
Houston, TX

"USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of
four people make up 75 percent of the population." --David Letterman
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 22:14:14 -0600
From: GRAYGHOST
Subject: [none]

Anyone know if anyone makes headers (factory or aftermarket)
for the 3.8 truck engine?
mine is a 82' 232 ,3.8 liter also any performance items for this engine?


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:55:10 -0800 (PST)
From: shy anne
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Re:dual exhaust

LOL...um....maybe I should just buy the dual exhaust kit, take it to a
shop and say "here, put this on ol' red" LOL




- ---Jim Cannon wrote:
>
> What Rade says below is true, but I seem to recall she has the
straight-6
> 300 cid engine in her truck. If so, not so simple. Again, depends on
local
> emmisions laws. If legal, you need to replace stock exhaust manifold
with
> headers designed to run duals. Might as well replace the intake
manifold
> while you are at it with one that will run a big 4 barrel! (more
power,
> , )!
>
> If you do, this truck will kick you back in the seat when you get on
it!
>
>
> Rade wrote:
> "First you need to check your local emissions laws. Here in
Washington you
> cannot put dual exhaust on a vehicle that was not originally
equipped with
> dual exhaust, and you will not pass the emissions test if they find
out. If
> you have a 4X4 a true dual exhaust is a bit trickier as the transfer
case
> can be in the way. Other wise it is simply a matter of replacing the
> factory Y-pipe two pipes on either side going to their own cat
muffler and
> tail pipe. Hope this helps.
>
> Rade"
> - -----Original Message-----
> From: shy anne
> To: ford maillist
> Date: Tuesday, October 27, 1998 11:11 PM
>
>
> >I'm so excited. I got some new wheels and tires for my 83 ford
f-150.
> > It made the whole truck look newer. I really like it. I thought
> >about putting dual exhaust on my truck. How hard is this to do?
Also
> >I am wanting to get a bed rail and tailgate protector on my truck. I
> >looked in the JCWhitney catalog but I can only find it for 87-96 year
> >fords. Is there any that will fit my 83?
> >TIA
> >*Shy*
>
> Jim Cannon
> Houston, TX
>
> "USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of
> four people make up 75 percent of the population." --David Letterman
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

==
- -"God forbid I shall go to any heaven where there are no horses."



_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:01:43 -0800 (PST)
From: shy anne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - more power

I would like for my truck to have more power. I got the email about
replacing the manifolds, anybody have any additional suggestions?

MORE POWER!!! (Tim The Tool Man Taylor) hehehe
*Shy*




==
- -"God forbid I shall go to any heaven where there are no horses."



_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:53:11 -0800
From: "Leo Mosley"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Exhaust Question

Andre
Thanks very much for your exhaust system explanation. This has helped my
understanding greatly!
Cheers Leo
- ------------------------------------------------------
Everything you do to an engine is a compromise. TO optimize power at
high speeds, you need to get as much ari/fuel into the cylinder as
quickly as possible and get as muck exaust out of there as quickly as
possible.
While this would seem to also help low speed operation (and to a certain
extent, it does), the thing with low-speeds is that you want to keep the
velocity of the gases fairly high. As high as at high speed operation.
But if you get sewer pipe exausts on a low speed engine, the speed of
the gasses passing out (oooh, passing gas--yuck) will be much lower.
Why do you need the fast flowing gasses? What happes is that the gasses
flowing through the intake and exaust are not flowing continuously, but
in pulses. There are high pressure pulses, and in between, low pressure
pulses. Those low pressure pulses actually help scavenge exaust, by
reducing the pressure outside the exaust valve the used combustion
products are 'sucked' out. The high pressure pulses in the intake tract
help 'push in' the air/fuel mixture.
These same pulses work at high speed, too. But what you want is a set up
so that the desired pulse gets to the valve area when the valve is
opened, and that's all a matter of timing, get a high pressure pulse at
the exaust when it's opened, and combustion byproducts won't exit as
easily.
If this sounds like an exaust (or intake) only work properly at one
speed (and its' harmonix), then, yeah, you're right. One of the main
thrusts of designing intake and exaust systems is to either get a
maximum power peak or a peak that is not as high, but much wider when
viewed on a power vs RPM chart.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:59:04 -0600
From: "BigRed"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Speed Density modifications

I just finished rebuilding my speed density 87 last night. A little bigger
cam (made for computer controlled engines) K&N, shorty headers,and duals
(minus mufflers) from cat back. Had everything but the cam before I rebuilt
and had no bad things happen, just a slight increase in power, sound and gas
mileage. Them are good things!
- -----Original Message-----
From: Fast Ford
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 1998 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Speed Density modifications


>On my Lightning, I did, Flowmasters, no-cats, K&N, Chip, Pullies, and
>injectors with out going to Mass Air. I have since done quite a bit,
>(http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.icon.net/~fastford/lightning.htm) and converted to the Kenne
>Bell Mass Air and the only noticable difference was gas mileage. I gained
>about 2mpg.
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Paul M Radecki
>To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
>Cc: perf-list ford-trucks.com
>Date: Wednesday, October 28, 1998 11:52 AM
>Subject: FTE 80-96 - Speed Density modifications
>
>
>> I've been discussing Speed Density vs Mass Air off-list with Jim
>>(kroger ucla.edu). We want to know what engine modifications anyone has
>>done to a Speed Density truck, and what the effects were. Headers?
>>Chips? Cat-back? I've had no problem with my K&N (in fact, it helped a
>>lot) but I've not done anything else to this truck (yet...). What mods
>>are forbidden by the Speed Density computer, and what will it do if you
>>try them? I've heard lots of rumors and opinions, so some firsthand
>>stories would be enlightening. Thanks!
>>
>>lordjanusz juno.com kroger ucla.edu
>>
>>"He who lives by the sword, dies by the clothyard shaft!"
>>
>>___________________________________________________________________
>>You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
>>Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com
>>or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.