80-96-list-digest Tuesday, September 29 1998 Volume 02 : Number 336



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - Re: 4 dr 4X4 truck
FTE 80-96 - various leaks
Re: FTE 80-96 - What does this thing do?
Re: FTE 80-96 - '86 Ranger problem
FTE 80-96 - Rear Diff questions/info
Re: FTE 80-96 - 4 door, 4x4 truck.
FTE 80-96 - Transmission Noise???
Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: 4 dr 4X4 truck
FTE 80-96 - TRUCK IN COMA
Re: FTE 80-96 - 4 door, 4x4 truck.
Re: FTE 80-96 - Rear Diff questions/info
Re: FTE 80-96 - What does this thing do?
FTE 80-96 - Alignment ?? in 89 F-350 CC 4x2 DRW
Re: FTE 80-96 - Transmission Noise???
Re: FTE 80-96 - synthetic everything
Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: 5.8L rough idle
FTE 80-96 - Re: black death
FTE 80-96 - Horn & cruse control
FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: New advertiser on web site

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:31:53 -0400
From: John Giles
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: 4 dr 4X4 truck

Bill,

Saw your e-mail on the list (did you mean to send a private e-mail to
Rick?) and thought I'd throw in my 0.02 since I hadn't seen any other
replies:

The truck you are looking for is an F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed. These
trucks came out in the 96 model year, so the only two years you can find
them in the old body style are 96 and 97. The F-350's are all long beds
(I have a 96 CC 4X4 Dually). The fanciest trim package for these trucks
is the XLT package.

I haven't seen a sticker on one, but based on the $33.6K sticker on my
loaded XLT F-350, I would guess that the sticker would have been in the
$30K range for one with a diesel/automatic and $25K range for a gas
motor. Since these trucks would most likely only be available as used
vehicles, you would want to take a look at one of the used truck books.
I would guess that you're looking at about $5-9K off sticker for one in
good condition.

Since they were only available for 2 years, they are limited
availability compared to other body styles. They have been very popular
with people who want the four doors with the slightly shorter wheel
base. I would think that your best place to find one would be in a rural
area, since farmers and horse/rodeo people are big customers of crew
cabs.

The truck is as good as other Ford's for reliability. I would have
bought one when I ordered my truck, but I neede the slightly higher
twoowing capacity and dual wheels of the F-350.

John Giles
Odessa, FL

>Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:36:52 -0700
>From: Bill Lenehan
>Subject: FTE 80-96 - 4 door, 4x4 truck.

>hey rick,
>i got your email address from the yahoo ford truck (80-96) group. you >seem very knowledgeable. i hope that you do not mind me picking your >brain.
>i am looking for a 4 door, 4x4 (short bed), 92-96 ford truck. i believe >that the model that i am looking for is an f-350 xlt.
>questions: is that the correct type? any idea on the cost of this >vehicle? any idea on the availability?
> did they make a lot?
> are there a lot in a certain region (i am in s. calif. and have not
>seen many).
>any ideas and how (and where) to search for one?
>is the truck well rated for quality?
>any other thoughts?

>any info would be appreciated.
>thanks,
>bill l
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 06:54:12 -0500
From: "Ralph Ward"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - various leaks

I have a '85 F-150 King Cab with 351W & C6...has a heavy towing package I
think. Since I bought it in August I have replaced the timing cover seal,
the timing gears and chain the water pump, the hoses and the belts, and the
valve cover gaskets; and done a complete replacement of the brake system.
It runs great, gets about 7 miles to the gallon! 1st problem: it is
starting to smell like very hot oil, and the engine is smoking. A little
poking around showed oil pooling on top of the intake manifold. My guess
was valve cover (drivers side). Day before yesterday, 2 exhaust hangers
broke and dropped the tail pipe...fixed it, but now have a large crack in
the left side exhaust manifold between cylinders 6 & 7. What are the odds
the oil on top is a similar problem?...I.E. do I need to look for a cracked
block or head?...getting a little discouraged, I am new at this, and this
thing seems to be a money sink-hole.
regards
Ralph Ward


NOTE: EMAIL ADDRESS CHANGE
NEW ADDRESS: rmward swbell.net


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:35:24 -0500
From: "Rick Wojciechowski"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - What does this thing do?

Radoje Spasojevic wrote:

> My advice would be to tear it out and see what goes wrong the next time you
> drive it :o)

You aught to know better than that. You never take stuff out without
knowing what it does first. Cause I think thats why I have so many
problems. :-)


> Rade
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mark Ponsford
> To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Date: Monday, September 28, 1998 7:15 PM
> Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - What does this thing do?
>
> >At 12:08 PM -0500 9/28/98, Rick Wojciechowski wrote:
> >>Mark Ponsford wrote:
> >>
> >>> I recently had a problem with my '88 F150 and in the process of trying
> to
> >>> fix it, I found this small sealed metal box under the dash. Initially I
> >>> thought it was the computer but after more playing around trying to fix
> the
> >>> problem, I discovered the computer hiding in the driver side kick panel.
> >>
> >>Mark,
> >> I too have one and am not sure either what it does. Mine is a light
> blue
> >>box with the dimensions (3.5" x 3.5" x 1") roughly. Does this sound
> >>like yours. However, mine is located under the dash but pretty much
> >>directly behind the radio. Anybody know this one ?
> >
> >Mine isn't blue. It's sort of an anodized gold colour. Held on by two hex
> >headed screws. I'm taking a stab in the dark here but possibly something to
> >do with ABS?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



- --
Thanks,
Rick Wojo
'83 Fsize BRONCO,Stock I-6,"The BROWN BULL",33x12.5x15-Mud Blasters
'92 Mstng 5.0L
'95 eclipse-Wife's(For Sale)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:10:35 -0700
From: William Street
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - '86 Ranger problem

Ugghhh.. I just went through a very similar problem on our 93 Lincoln 4.6. I
changed the
plugs, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Ran better but problem showed up again.
Took it to a
mechanic who replaced the plug wires and a couple of other things - didn't help
- - nothing
showed up on his diagnostics - no codes showed up on my code scanner either.

Took it to the local Ford garage and had them run diagnostics. Result: plug
wire for
#8 cylinder was not on the plug all the way resulting in 'miss under load'.
Bottom line:
it now runs great.

Frankly, however, I'm baffled. How could I change all 8 plugs and not get one
on all
the way (the plug wires on the 4.6 give a noticeable 'snap' when they go on the
plug)?
Maybe I can buy that but then how could my mechanic REPLACE all 8 plug wires
and
STILL have one not on properly? All I know for sure is that it is fixed now.

Bill

Bryan Maycock wrote:

> Greetings from Nova Scotia.
>
> I own a 1986 V6, automatic with a little over 100,000 miles (206,000 km) on
> the engine. I am experiencing an intermittent problem that is baffling the
> mechanics around here.
>
> Essentially what happens is that when the engine has warmed up, about 5
> miles down the highway, it begins repeatedly to hesitate as if momentarily
> cutting out. This will continue for 20 miles at which time I have arived at
> work and the beast is parked for a few hours. In the city, at lower speeds,
> it seems to do fine. When I return home later in the day, it is less of a
> problem and, sometimes, no problem at all.
>
> The hesitation occurs when the engine isn't working too hard. If I put my
> foot down it may pick up without much difficulty and continue to run
> smoothly until traffic conditions, or a downhill/flat section causes me to
> ease off on the gas.
>
> If, as I am driving, I put truck into neutral and hit the gas, black
> exhaust is visible - unburnt gas.
>
> We have tried testing it at the Ford dealership, which suggests but doesn't
> confirm a possible solution. As a result, my mechanic tries various
> replacements - oxygen sensor for one- and adjustments but with little
> success.
>
> Most recently, we have tried a replacement computer. This seemed to improve
> things for a few trips but, today, it was back to its old tricks.
>
> Any advice would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bryan (not a mechanic but one who depends upon the knowledge of others!)
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html





== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:22:55 PDT
From: "Jorge Ramirez"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Rear Diff questions/info

Hello list....

I have also considerd switching to synth rear diff lube, BUT, Here is
what I found. I have a 1993 F150 5.0L/AOD/3.55 NON lim slip and 83K
miles on it, and both the Haynes manual and the owners manual say to use
HYPOID oil, with a specific Ford part # (which I don't have in front of
me). I looked at the bottles at the auto parts stores and I found that
the CASTROL HYPOY-C has the Ford part #.
I found that none of the synth gear lubes that I looked at have that
part number, that scares me. I don't know the difference between HYPOID
oil and XYZ brand of gear lube (can someone please clarify this for the
list)other than the viscosity factor.
So, whats the deal, can we SAFELY use a synthetic lube or are we married
to HYPOID oil???

TIA,


Jorge E. Ramirez


______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:03:43 -0000
From: "Radoje Spasojevic"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 4 door, 4x4 truck.

The only short bed 4X4 Crew Cabs I have seen (aside from the '76 F250 I
own), are '97 F250 HD's. I don't know if they were avaialble earlier than
that and I have not seen any of the new Super Duty's in that configuration.

Rade
- -----Original Message-----
From: Bill Lenehan
To: rick w
Date: Monday, September 28, 1998 8:38 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 4 door, 4x4 truck.


>hey rick,
>
>i got your email address from the yahoo ford truck (80-96) group. you
>seem very knowledgeable. i hope that you do not mind me picking your
>brain.
>
>i am looking for a 4 door, 4x4 (short bed), 92-96 ford truck. i believe
>that the model that i am looking for is an f-350 xlt.
>
>questions:
>is that the correct type?
>any idea on the cost of this vehicle?
>any idea on the availability?
>-did they make a lot?
>-are there a lot in a certain region (i am in s. calif. and have not
>seen many).
>any ideas and how (and where) to search for one?
>is the truck well rated for quality?
>any other thoughts?
>
>any info would be appreciated.
>
>thanks,
>
>bill l
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:20:19 -0500
From: flderoos mmm.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Transmission Noise???

I have a 1992 F-150 4x4 with the 4.9L engine and the 5-speed manual
transmission. I hear a noise that sounds like gear vibration at
approximately 2200 RPM in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I'm not sure about 4th and
5th. Last year I checked the transmission oil and needed to add about 2
ounces to get it level with the plug hole. The transfer case level was
ok. That seemed to get rid of the noise, but now it's back. I've
checked the levels again and they're fine. The noise doesn't seem to be
related to temperature, as I'm hearing it cold or warm. Anyone seen
(heard) this before?

One other possibility is that I'm hearing the air bypass from the air
pump that sends air to the manifold and to the catalytic convertor. This
switches with temperature and engine speed. I've tried putting pressure
on the gear shift and the transfer case levers to see if the noise
changes and it doesn't.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Fred
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:24:21 -0700
From: Bill Lenehan
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: 4 dr 4X4 truck

thanks a lot for the infor. now the search begins.

John Giles wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Saw your e-mail on the list (did you mean to send a private e-mail to
> Rick?) and thought I'd throw in my 0.02 since I hadn't seen any other
> replies:
>
> The truck you are looking for is an F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed. These
> trucks came out in the 96 model year, so the only two years you can find
> them in the old body style are 96 and 97. The F-350's are all long beds
> (I have a 96 CC 4X4 Dually). The fanciest trim package for these trucks
> is the XLT package.
>
> I haven't seen a sticker on one, but based on the $33.6K sticker on my
> loaded XLT F-350, I would guess that the sticker would have been in the
> $30K range for one with a diesel/automatic and $25K range for a gas
> motor. Since these trucks would most likely only be available as used
> vehicles, you would want to take a look at one of the used truck books.
> I would guess that you're looking at about $5-9K off sticker for one in
> good condition.
>
> Since they were only available for 2 years, they are limited
> availability compared to other body styles. They have been very popular
> with people who want the four doors with the slightly shorter wheel
> base. I would think that your best place to find one would be in a rural
> area, since farmers and horse/rodeo people are big customers of crew
> cabs.
>
> The truck is as good as other Ford's for reliability. I would have
> bought one when I ordered my truck, but I neede the slightly higher
> twoowing capacity and dual wheels of the F-350.
>
> John Giles
> Odessa, FL
>
> >Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:36:52 -0700
> >From: Bill Lenehan
> >Subject: FTE 80-96 - 4 door, 4x4 truck.
>
> >hey rick,
> >i got your email address from the yahoo ford truck (80-96) group. you >seem very knowledgeable. i hope that you do not mind me picking your >brain.
> >i am looking for a 4 door, 4x4 (short bed), 92-96 ford truck. i believe >that the model that i am looking for is an f-350 xlt.
> >questions: is that the correct type? any idea on the cost of this >vehicle? any idea on the availability?
> > did they make a lot?
> > are there a lot in a certain region (i am in s. calif. and have not
> >seen many).
> >any ideas and how (and where) to search for one?
> >is the truck well rated for quality?
> >any other thoughts?
>
> >any info would be appreciated.
> >thanks,
> >bill l
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 12:06:04 -0500
From: Allen Yoder
Subject: FTE 80-96 - TRUCK IN COMA

Well I tried to post this before and got a note saying I had to change e
the subject or post would be refused. I never did see my re-post go through
so if it did forgive a greenhorn in advance.

I have an 1986 F150 XLT pickup with a 5.0 fuel injected engine. It has the
ignition module located on the distributor, not the 2" tall by 4"x4" box
you have no doubt see on earlier model fords.

I have no spark for ignition.

The truck does run great when it does have spark. The coil and the Ignition
part on the distributor are known to be good.

This all started a few years ago. I got stranded at a gas station. The
truck refused to start.

Gas station guy kept it overnight and told me to lift up on the tilt wheel
steering wheel and it would start. This worked for years but the tilt wheel
was getting looser and looser. Over time this screwed up the ignition
switch that is located on top of the steering column. This was replace a
few times but were continually getting broken by bad alignment of steering
column.

So I started looking in wrecking yards for a replacement. After two weeks
of looking and not finding one exactly like the old one I setteled for a
steering column with no tilt, about 1 year older than my truck (IT HAD
DIFFERNT IGNITION). All the wire plugs and bolt holes and dimensions were
the same though.

New column worked great for 1 day after install then, no spark. Tried
several things and just for grins tried hooking the wires up to old column.
Started right up. Hooked wires up to old column. Again no problem starting???

Well a couple of months have passed and a few thousand miles, but again no
spark and this time the old column does not seem to be any help. Never knew
why it helped the first time.

What voltages should be on what pins of the coil and when? Can I wire the
coil to make certain it is hot? The dealer was no help at all..That's
another story in itself.

Allen

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:45:28 -0700
From: Randy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 4 door, 4x4 truck.

guys,
I don't ever recall seeing an F-350 CrewCab short box. But I have
seen two '99 Superduty F-250 4x4 Crewcab shortbeds. It's noticable
how the bed is about the same length as the cab and shorter than
normal. Was down in Tallmadge, Ohio Friday and went to the
fairgrounds to drop off a trailer for the horse show. Man, was there
some SWEET crew cab duallies in there. In fact that's where I saw one
of the F-250 w/the short box I mentioned. Then stopped by Summit on
the way home and they were gearing up for Truckfest. They had some
pretty sweet rigs out and since the show didn't start until Sat
morning there were maybe a dozen guys so it was nice to be able to
take your time to look. You guys ever read an article on 'Zilla?
Suburban based (sorry about that) supercharged off-road (on road upper
class, really) machine. It was there and was sweet even if it wasn't
a Ford product. Overkill, the F-150 monster truck was there and I got
to walk right up under the 'glass body. What's with these new monster
trucks, there wasn't ONE thing on that truck that was factory. At
least they USED to use the chassis as a base, now the engine is
backwards and sits way down below the driver and the fabricated tube
chassis hangs so low my 2 yr old daughter had to duck to get under it.

Later,
Randy (Brew)

Radoje Spasojevic wrote:
>
> The only short bed 4X4 Crew Cabs I have seen (aside from the '76 F250 I
> own), are '97 F250 HD's. I don't know if they were avaialble earlier than
> that and I have not seen any of the new Super Duty's in that configuration.
>
> Rade
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bill Lenehan
> To: rick w
> Date: Monday, September 28, 1998 8:38 PM
> Subject: FTE 80-96 - 4 door, 4x4 truck.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:59:03 -0500
From: "Rick Wojciechowski"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Rear Diff questions/info

Jorge Ramirez wrote:

> Hello list....
>
> I have also considerd switching to synth rear diff lube, BUT, Here is
> what I found. I have a 1993 F150 5.0L/AOD/3.55 NON lim slip and 83K
> miles on it, and both the Haynes manual and the owners manual say to use
> HYPOID oil, with a specific Ford part # (which I don't have in front of
> me). I looked at the bottles at the auto parts stores and I found that
> the CASTROL HYPOY-C has the Ford part #.

I use the Castrol GTX 80-90. I don't remember, I could look whenI go home,
but I think it has the HYPOY-C on it.


- --
Thanks,
Rick Wojo
'83 Fsize BRONCO,Stock I-6,"The BROWN BULL",33x12.5x15-Mud Blasters
'92 Mstng 5.0L
'95 eclipse-Wife's(For Sale)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 98 11:51:49 -0800
From: todd trifilm.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - What does this thing do?

There are two "black boxes" down in the region between the steering column and
radio. One is part of the R(ear)ABS and the other is the brain/relay for the
cruise control.

T.W.M '87 Bronco
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:29:33 -0400
From: "Mike S. in FL"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Alignment ?? in 89 F-350 CC 4x2 DRW

Hi: I'm getting ready to put some new tires on the truck and was
wondering about alignment and such. A friend told me that you don't
align the bigger trucks, but that seems pretty strange to me. Aren't
there some sort of adjustments that need to be made when putting on new
tires / wheels?

Mike Smith
Newberry, FL
- --
Remove the 'downto.' for email responses.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:57:01 -0500
From: "Rick Wojciechowski"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Transmission Noise???

flderoos mmm.com wrote:

> I have a 1992 F-150 4x4 with the 4.9L engine and the 5-speed manual
> transmission. I hear a noise that sounds like gear vibration at
> approximately 2200 RPM in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I'm not sure about 4th and
> 5th. Last year I checked the transmission oil and needed to add about 2
> ounces to get it level with the plug hole. The transfer case level was
> ok. That seemed to get rid of the noise, but now it's back. I've
> checked the levels again and they're fine. The noise doesn't seem to be
> related to temperature, as I'm hearing it cold or warm. Anyone seen
> (heard) this before?

Did you ever give your driveshaft a check.
I would check your rear driveshaft out. For that matter check
both driveshafts. Make sure the u-joints are good and greased
and that they are balanced. Funny how sometimes a vibration can
seem like it comes from the opposite area you think. I am just looking
on the optomistic side for you. Also make sure the Yoke connections
do not have any or minimal play. One other thing, make sure the
driveshafts are " in time ". That is to say, make sure that


- --
Thanks,
Rick Wojo
'83 Fsize BRONCO,Stock I-6,"The BROWN BULL",33x12.5x15-Mud Blasters
'92 Mstng 5.0L
'95 eclipse-Wife's(For Sale)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: 29 Sep 1998 15:22:08 EDT
From: Hawk sktc.net
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - synthetic everything

80>I have been running synthetics everywhere except the engine in my '91
80>F-150 since about 45,000 miles. I used Mobil 1 75W90 in the
80>differentials, and added the Ford additive to the Traction Lock rear
80>end. I changed them again at 97,000 miles. I have had no problems; the
80>Mazda M5OD still shifts perfectly with synthetic ATF (AMSOIL ATF - same
80>in the xfer case). I now have 114,000 miles.


80>Steve S.

I too have the Mazda tranny in a F150, and am interested in your
experience with the synthetic ATF. When you changed it at 97K, what did
it look like? Did the drain plug have metalic fuzz on it? Was there a
black residue in the bottom of the tranny? Did you run an oil sample?
Do you tow anything, if so, how much? Sorry for all the questions, but
I'm thinking of synthetic for my trans and want to learn as much about
it as I can. Thanks. Buck Shoff


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:21:53 +0000
From: Garr&Pam
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: 5.8L rough idle

All 91-92 5.8L engines had a cam with more valve lift but shorter cam
timing numbers (Lightings excluded- they are there own beast.) Power
stayed the same but the idle smoothed out.

I have heard crane makes a cam that does the same thing for Lightnings
and also heard that its the same cam Ford Motorsports sells(B351 I
think) Do you know anything about it?

93 and up 5.8L finally got the roller cam. 94's also got sequential fuel
injection instead of the previous batch fire set-up. This made things
even smoother. We had one of these also but the van did an imitation of
a turtle on it's back down in Mexico a couple of months ago.

Is there anyway to apply this setup to lightnings since they are not
roller cam or sequential firing! This would be tremendous power
increases and probably more miles to the gallon!

An alternative cam is out now from Edelbrock. No E.O. yet but it's
numbers are interesting. Check it out at their website. Crane also had a
cam in their Compucam 2000 line but I do not know if it is still
offered.

How does this compare to the stock Lightning cam?

I have an Edelbrock 5.8 EFI intake, 56mm throttle body, and a TES system
for my truck. Just need to find the time to install it all. Truck is
currently equipped with a Dynomax cat-back system and a K&N air filter.
The cat-back was good for 3 tenths and 2 mph in the 1/4 mile. I hope to
pick up another 5-7 tenths with the extra stuff. I run the truck down
the track to verify that improvements are real and not just seat of the
pants better. I don't worry about fuel economy as it is the same no
matter how I drive it- 10 city, 12 hwy with a C-6 and 3.55 gears.

Edelbrock does make a intake for Lightnings do they, can I use a Cobra R
intake? You might want to try a bassani x pipe or borla nas truck
exhaust...this is the set up I have and I LOVE it, it is a little
expensive(all stainless) and a little loud. I don't know if headers are
interchangeable between regular 351 and Lightning 351s my guess is they
are so bassani headers would be nice also. Did they use mass air during
any year of production on the 351 in trucks with E4OD? Have you tried to
raise your timing to 14 degrees and run high octane gas? It makes a big
difference(in the 1/4) on Lightnings might work just as well for you!
Underdrive pulleys and electric fans give you some also.

Thanks for all the info
Chris
94 Lightning #381 Red
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:09:03 -0500
From: "Jram"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: black death

To Dalton:
Black death is common to FX-15 A/C compressors. It is basically just a
breakdown of the compressor. It has plastic pieces in it and a swash plate
(unlike older piston type compressors such as York). I feel that heat is
the major cause of it.
I deal with the so called Black Death all of the time and the only way I
have found to remedy the situation once it has happened is listed below:
Replace accumulator, orifice tube (may be contained in liquid line),
compressor (of course.)
Flush evaporator and condenser with Ford A/C system flushing tool.
replace any lines that may have mufflers in them that become clogged.
You can also install a Ford filter kit in the suction line.
I have done this many times and to this day have not had a single
vehicle come back with the so-called Black Death. Anyone needing more
specifics can contact me through the following:
tfts ford-trucks.com
Also visit
www.ford-trucks.com/tfts
We have a technical advisor that can answer question also but I do not
believe that he has used the A/C flushing machine yet. Yet!
later
Jram



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:13:09 -0500
From: DeForest Ray Sparks
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Horn & cruse control

Help! anybody know what would or could cause the horn and cruse control to
quit working , they quit at the same time, have checked and rechecked all
the fuses , all are good , checked all wiring harness plugs all hooked up tight.
Local Ford dealer said it was something called a " clock spring " in the
steering wheel and would cost 200 + to repair , the local parts dealers said
they have never heard of this " clock spring " and said to try replacing the
horn relay to fix the horn but as for the cruse they would have to take a
look themselves to track it down.
My thinking is that I have lost a ground connection somewhere in the
steering wheel, possiably where the wires go from the wheel to the coloum.


Any ideas and help would be greatfuly appreciated.


Thanks .

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:20:41 -0400
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - ADMIN: New advertiser on web site

We have a new advertiser on our web site. Since the beginning,
our practice with web site advertisers has been to make a brief
announcement for 2 days (this is day 2 of 2). Please show your....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.