From: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com (80-96-list-digest)
To: 80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list-digest V2 #229
Reply-To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


80-96-list-digest Thursday, July 2 1998 Volume 02 : Number 229



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 80-96 - 1988 Ford Bronco FullSize Rear-end replacement
Re: FTE 80-96 - 86' 2.9L Ranger - Running rich
RE: FTE 80-96 - Fuel injector cleaner
FTE 80-96 - Rear End?
Re: FTE 80-96 - Rear End?
Re: FTE 80-96 - 1988 Ford Bronco FullSize Rear-end replacement
RE: FTE 80-96 - Fuel injector cleaner
Re: FTE 80-96 - 86' 2.9L Ranger - Running rich
RE: FTE 80-96 - Fuel injector cleaner
[none]
FTE 80-96 - FTE 80-96-95 Bronco Speedo noise
FTE 80-96 - Exhaust Question...
FTE 80-96 - Re:Fuel injector cleaner
FTE 80-96 - New 99 F150 information

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 21:48:33 -0400
From: Bryan McLellan
Subject: FTE 80-96 - 1988 Ford Bronco FullSize Rear-end replacement

Hi, I have a 1988 Ford Bronco, age and mileage have caught up with it
(201,000 miles) and it's falling subject to the infamous bronco "clunk".
Are there rear ends from other types of vehicles (such as an F150) in
which they would be mounting compatible and the gear-ratio's are the
same?

- ---
Bryan McLellan
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 08:07:58 -0500
From: "Rick Wojciechowski"
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 86' 2.9L Ranger - Running rich

Bob Johnson wrote:

> The truck seems to run well around town, but I notice a hesitation or
> stumble at highway speeds - feels like a gusty headwind. The prblem is
> intermittant (oh great) - the truck runs fine for a few miles, "stumbles"
> for a few miles, runs fine ... The "stumble" is accompanied by black smoke
> from the exhaust. No "check engine" or "EMISS" lights on. Just after I

Bob,
The black smoke means that you are running to rich. You
need to adjust the fuel mixture screws on the base of your
carb. Now as for the inadvertent hesitation There are a few
minor things you can check. Double check the sparkplug
wires and make sure they are on good at both the plug end
as well as at the distributor. I would also check all the
vacuum lines. You may have inadvertently pulled one
when you cleaned the engine.

- --
Thanks,
Rick Wojo
'83 Fsize BRONCO,Stock I-6,"The BROWN BULL",33x12.5x15-Mud Blasters
'92 Mstng 5.0L
'95 eclipse-Wife's(For Sale)


== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 10:23:15 -0500
From: Jim Cannon
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Fuel injector cleaner

David-
It worked well for me on a 1991 V-6 engine I have with about 85 k miles on
it.
YMMV (your milage may vary).

You also need to rule out other possible problems, though. I, personally,
try not to lug the engine.

David Anderson wrote:
"Do the little bottles of fuel injector cleaner additive do any good? Or
does regular gasoline have enough of this stuff already in it? I'm
trying to get rid of a miss in third gear at low rpm's when the engine
is lugging."

Jim Cannon
Houston, TX

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will call in sick a lot."
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 8:51:50 -0800
From: callah S1.hninc.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Rear End?

I've finally determined that my transfer case is a NP-208F. Now I need
to find out which rear axel assembly I have. Where on the axel is the
model designation? I would like ti beef up the rear axel also and am
looking for input and opinions on how to best accomplish this. I've been
thinking of getting a rear axel from an old F-350 and installing that
(with a Detroit Locker) on my F-150. What do yo all think is the best
way to go?

Gary Callahan
'81 F-150 Custom 4x4
300cid I-6; w/ 4-Speed


== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 08:58:33 -0700
From: Robert Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Rear End?

Your axle will have a tag on one of the cover/carrier bolts. The tag gives
you the info on rear-end type and Ring Geaar size.


At 08:51 AM 7/1/98 -0800, you wrote:
>
>I've finally determined that my transfer case is a NP-208F. Now I need
>to find out which rear axel assembly I have. Where on the axel is the
>model designation? I would like ti beef up the rear axel also and am
>looking for input and opinions on how to best accomplish this. I've been
>thinking of getting a rear axel from an old F-350 and installing that
>(with a Detroit Locker) on my F-150. What do yo all think is the best
>way to go?
>
>Gary Callahan
>'81 F-150 Custom 4x4
>300cid I-6; w/ 4-Speed
>
>
>== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:00:53 -0700
From: Robert Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 1988 Ford Bronco FullSize Rear-end replacement

You probably have the 8.8" or 9" rear-end. The only difficulty in swapping
them out is that some F-150 axles' may require turning the spring pads a
bit. ABS is also an issue, if you have it, older axles aren't set up for it.


At 09:48 PM 7/1/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi, I have a 1988 Ford Bronco, age and mileage have caught up with it
>(201,000 miles) and it's falling subject to the infamous bronco "clunk".
>Are there rear ends from other types of vehicles (such as an F150) in
>which they would be mounting compatible and the gear-ratio's are the
>same?
>
>---
>Bryan McLellan
>== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:01:27 -0600
From: "Smeins, Larry"
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Fuel injector cleaner

Some of the injector cleaner additives do help. One of the best is
TECHRON. I picked up on this stuff on the Audi Quattro list and while I
have always been skeptical of additives find the stuff does work. The
problem you describe is usually an ignition problem so injector cleaner
may not help no matter how good it is. Check your plug wires and plugs
first.

Larry

>Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 07:24:06 -0500
>From: David Anderson
>Subject: FTE 80-96 - Fuel injector cleaner

>Do the little bottles of fuel injector cleaner additive do any good?
Or
>does regular gasoline have enough of this stuff already in it? I'm
>trying to get rid of a miss in third gear at low rpm's when the engine
>is lugging.

>David
>== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:02:47 -0700
From: Robert Kennedy
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - 86' 2.9L Ranger - Running rich

Bob and Rick,

I think the 86 2.9L is probably an EFI, TTF-IV system. I've got an 87 2.9L
and it's a bit of a bear to run down those type of probs.

Bob


At 08:07 AM 7/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Bob Johnson wrote:
>
>> The truck seems to run well around town, but I notice a hesitation or
>> stumble at highway speeds - feels like a gusty headwind. The prblem is
>> intermittant (oh great) - the truck runs fine for a few miles, "stumbles"
>> for a few miles, runs fine ... The "stumble" is accompanied by black smoke
>> from the exhaust. No "check engine" or "EMISS" lights on. Just after I
>
>Bob,
> The black smoke means that you are running to rich. You
>need to adjust the fuel mixture screws on the base of your
>carb. Now as for the inadvertent hesitation There are a few
>minor things you can check. Double check the sparkplug
>wires and make sure they are on good at both the plug end
>as well as at the distributor. I would also check all the
>vacuum lines. You may have inadvertently pulled one
>when you cleaned the engine.
>
>--
>Thanks,
> Rick Wojo
> '83 Fsize BRONCO,Stock I-6,"The BROWN BULL",33x12.5x15-Mud Blasters
> '92 Mstng 5.0L
> '95 eclipse-Wife's(For Sale)
>
>
>== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:05:47 -0700
From: cassis
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Fuel injector cleaner

Dont flame me here but instead of injector cleaner I just used a pint of
tolune, you can purchase it at a paint supply store, but it is what the
main ingredients of injetcor cleaner has but it is a little more effective.
Be very careful, the stuff is very flameable and can ruin your paint if you
spill it and dont rinse imediatly.

John Cassis
93' STX 4x4 3.0/5-speed

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jim Cannon [SMTP:cannon zapware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 8:23 AM
To: David Anderson
Cc: Ford Trucks
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Fuel injector cleaner

David-
It worked well for me on a 1991 V-6 engine I have with about 85 k miles on
it.
YMMV (your milage may vary).

You also need to rule out other possible problems, though. I, personally,
try not to lug the engine.

David Anderson wrote:
"Do the little bottles of fuel injector cleaner additive do any good? Or
does regular gasoline have enough of this stuff already in it? I'm
trying to get rid of a miss in third gear at low rpm's when the engine
is lugging."

Jim Cannon
Houston, TX

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will call in sick a lot."
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 14:37:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrew
Subject: [none]

>Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 07:24:06 -0500
>From: David Anderson
>
>Do the little bottles of fuel injector cleaner additive do any good? Or
>does regular gasoline have enough of this stuff already in it? I'm
>trying to get rid of a miss in third gear at low rpm's when the engine
>is lugging.
>David

David,

I have used STP cleaner several times to smooth out a missing or
rough running engine. The kind used was a yellow color liquid in a clear
bottle and the label claimed to be better than the regular strength (red &
black bottles).
Once at the beginning of a trip 30 minutes from home, my 2.9
developed a very noticeable sputter, in previous day's it had been an
intermittent problem. I found a parts store put this stuff in, continued on
my way and in about 30 miles forgot there was a problem. It cost about $5
in Parts America. The sputter never occurred again. It is not in all the
parts stores or in places like department stores. Three of my vehicles with
fuel injection have gone over 130k miles with not one fuel problem. I do
use the STP in a black bottle twice a year.

Andrew




== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:55:07 -0400
From: "joe"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - FTE 80-96-95 Bronco Speedo noise

I have this gear grinding noise in my speedometer, that comes in around
55.
I'ts not persistant, but it bugs the wife and seems to be getting louder.
Is there a gear box in the electro speedo somewhere? Any one have any
ideas?

Thanks

Joe
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:42:24 -0800
From: "Pat Daniels"
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Exhaust Question...

I own an 88 F350 4x4 with the F.I. 5.8L and the C6 tranny. I have an
exhaust leak on the right side exhaust manifold where the air pump (smog
pump?) mate together. I would like to put on a set of shorty headers and
eliminate the air pump and all of its associated plumbing but I am afraid
of how the engine computer and fuel injection will react to this. Anybody
have any experience with this?

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:25:46 EDT
From: FordboyDZ aol.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re:Fuel injector cleaner

In a message dated 7/1/98 2:44:10 PM !!!First Boot!!!, You wrote:


Do the little bottles of fuel injector cleaner additive do any good? Or
does regular gasoline have enough of this stuff already in it? I'm
trying to get rid of a miss in third gear at low rpm's when the engine
is lugging.
>>
Dave,
You might want to check your plugs & wires if you haven't already done
so.They are usually the culprit when an engine misses under a load at
low speed.
Hope this helps,
Dave Zarnesky
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 23:44:03 -0400
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 80-96 - New 99 F150 information

I got this a couple of days ago and thought some of the list members....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.