Received: with LISTAR (v1.0.0; list 61-79-list); Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:44:57 -0500 (EST)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:44:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server <listar ford-trucks.com>
To: 61-79-list digest users <listar ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: 61-79-list Digest V2001 #21
Precedence: list

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 1961-1979 Truck  Mailing  List

Visit our  web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list" in the subject  of  the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
61-79-list Digest Mon, 22 Jan 2001 Volume: 2001  Issue: 021

In This Issue:
Front-End Vibe
Re: Engine Rake
Rear axle
T98
Re: Whiter Whites, plow switches?
Re: Front-End Vibe
Re: Front-End Vibe
Re: HELP! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Re: Whiter Whites, plow switches?
Re: HELP! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Re: Front-End Vibe
Re: Yo-Yo Science
Dual battery setup
Re: Electronic ignition
Re: HELP! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Re: 73-79 F250s
Re: Whiter Whites, plow switches?
Cam
Re: HELP! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Re: Front-End Vibe
Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudeness
Re: Cams
'76 F150 Info
Re: Oxygenated fuel, so called scientific studies
Re: Front-End Vibe
Re: Whiter Whites, plow switches?
Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudenes
Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudenes
Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudeness
Re: Yo-Yo Science
Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudeness
Re: 73-79 F250s

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:12:19 -0800
From: Greg <greg gregster.com>
Subject: Front-End Vibe


Looking for some opinions B4 I tear and swear in the cold. There's a
vibration in the front end on the ditch side of my '77 F250 4x4. It's
not all the time and not steady. Does it when I turn to the left or on a
crowned road and only after 30 MPH or so. U-joints were all new last
Sept and were greased recently so I don't think that's the problem. It's
not the tires ... just rotated them to see if it was. Wheel bearings are
tight. Any ideas??

TIA,
Greg


Yo-Yo Science Oxygenated The Rain Forest: I read about 10 years ago,
that allot of the Rain Forest was being converted to farm land. It was
this writers (he drives a Ford Truck!) opinion that young vegetation
produced 10 times (or something like that) more oxygen than old stagnant
trees. Kinda like my 9 y/o stepson has ALLOT more energy than I do! :-)
Us loggers here in Maine have a bumper sticker for all the tree-huggers:
"If you object to logging, try using plastic toilet paper". (And living
in stone houses.)


------------------------------

From: "John Webster" <jwebster tnt21.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Rake
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:16:03 -0500

It also reduces windage for increased HP.

John
'77 F150 4X4 466/C6/4:11's/33's

>It also allows them to carry more than twice the amount of oil of a wet sump
>system which aids in the cooling.



------------------------------

From: "Azie L. Magnusson" <maggie11 HiWAAY.net>
Subject: Rear axle
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:06:51 -0600

Gene G. writes:  >>What are the symptoms of a bent axle? <<

Usually a slight vibration and uneven wear on the rear tire on that axle.

Could it cause clutch chatter?

No!!  I don't think so..

>>What is invloved in checking the rear axle to see if it's bent? <<

Remove and inspect.  Wait!  You just might be able to see a "wobble" in
the side if the axle were bent enough to cause a vibration..

snip

>>Thanks for listening ...<<

Glad to do so..

Azie Magnusson
Ardmore, Al.


------------------------------

From: "Azie L. Magnusson" <maggie11 HiWAAY.net>
Subject: T98
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:30:31 -0600

Don G. writes:  >>On the input shaft are there supposed to be any seals or any gaskets
between the snout and the case of the transmission?<<

If I've ever been inside a T98, I don't remember it, but all of the
T10's and the Ford 3 speeds and the BW 3 speedOD's that Ford
used in the 50's and 60's had a small o-ring in the tranny end of the
snout as well as a gasket between the snout and the tranny..Can't
remember if the toploader has this or not.
I'm assuming the snout is that little piece that slips over the input
shaft and is held to the tranny by 4 small bolts or so!!!

Hope this sheds some light for you.


Azie Magnusson
Ardmore, Al.


------------------------------

From: "GaryBBB" <gpeters3 lni.net>
Subject: Re: Whiter Whites, plow switches?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:57:37 -0800


Say, BTW, I hooked my plow switch console to a live 12v supply which
happened to be very convenient on the fire wall but apparently there is some
part of the system that continues to draw power, even when not in use.  I
suspect the "Down" solenoid may have power to it at all times with the
switch in the down position (basically "Off"), not sure.  Anyway my battery
died due to this so it's back to the drawing board :-(  Have to hook it up
to the ACC circuit I guess :-(  BUMMER!!!  I'm hoping by next year to have a
$75, all in one, switch installed with a "Joy Stick".  It think those are
really cool :-)  The blade works pretty well for pushing people out of
stuck's too :-)  Had to push my wife out of a snow bank she "slid" into on a
hilly driveway and the neighbor too with his mid 70's lincoln.  Driveways
here are solid ice and you have to be really carefull not to move too fast
downhill so you don't slide right out on the road into traffic.

--
Happily Retired (but broke)
Michigan Pot Hole Jumping,
78 Bronco Loving, Gary
--

> Thanks Ken, it was one of the best low cost improvments I've made
> to my truck.
>
> John
> '77 F150 4X4 466/C6/4:11's/33's
>
> The Steve Delanty article "Whiter Whites, Brighter Brights"
> has been recovered and is now in tech articles.


------------------------------

From: "GaryBBB" <gpeters3 lni.net>
Subject: Re: Front-End Vibe
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:01:19 -0800


Is the vibration in 4x4 or 2x4 (hubs unlocked) or both?  Knowing this will
help isolate the problem.  If in both then it's in the brake, bearing,
wheel, tire.....otherwise it's most likely the axle assy and could even be
the drive shaft or pinion bearing etc.....  Sometimes vibrations get
telegraphed....

--
Happily Retired (but broke)
Michigan Pot Hole Jumping,
78 Bronco Loving, Gary
--

> Looking for some opinions B4 I tear and swear in the cold. There's a
> vibration in the front end on the ditch side of my '77 F250 4x4. It's
> not all the time and not steady. Does it when I turn to the left or on a
> crowned road and only after 30 MPH or so. U-joints were all new last
> Sept and were greased recently so I don't think that's the problem. It's
> not the tires ... just rotated them to see if it was. Wheel bearings are
> tight. Any ideas??


------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:48:50 -0800
From: Greg <greg gregster.com>
Subject: Re: Front-End Vibe




GaryBBB wrote:

> Is the vibration in 4x4 or 2x4 (hubs unlocked) or both?  Knowing this will
> help isolate the problem.  If in both then it's in the brake, bearing,
> wheel, tire.....otherwise it's most likely the axle assy and could even be
> the drive shaft or pinion bearing etc.....

Haven't driven that fast in 4 WD. I have enough weight in the back (deisel,
tools, chains, saws) so I hardly use 4 WD except for plowing. I was thinking
about this since my last post ... ain't there a bearing that the axle goes
thru on the wheel side of the U-joint? Think maybe that could be the culprit?

> Sometimes vibrations get
> telegraphed....
>

Yep. I once pulled the transfer out of my skidder to fix because "that's where
the noise is coming from". Ended up doing a $1500 repair job to the rear-end.
:-(

Greg


------------------------------

From: "Keith" <a2jkeith gci.net>
Subject: Re: HELP! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:49:23 -0900


Ok, I need some ideas here I am stumped.  Clifford has been for a few weeks
cutting out and such for like 20 seconds at a time didnt usually happen till
around 3000 rpm, Now I go to fire it up this morning and I have no spark at
all. I went and got a new coil for $13.00 (gotta love my employee discounts
at NAPA) and I still have no spark at all. I need to know what else it could
be. I had a friend crank the engine over and I held onto the coil wire
(being brave/dumb like I am hehe) and nothing happened. I dont know where
the controll module is or if there is one on this year truck. It is a 71
F250 with a 390 the dizzy is still points and condensor, so maybe that is
the problem. If you have any ideas please respond as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance,
Keith



------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:53:33 -0800
From: Greg <greg gregster.com>
Subject: Re: Whiter Whites, plow switches?




GaryBBB wrote:

> Say, BTW, I hooked my plow switch console to a live 12v supply which
> happened to be very convenient on the fire wall but apparently there is some
> part of the system that continues to draw power, even when not in use.  I
> suspect the "Down" solenoid may have power to it at all times with the
> switch in the down position (basically "Off"), not sure.

<snip>
Have you got a Meyers electric/hydrualic? I had one on a Dak*&#a that did the
same thing. It didn't bother in the  neutral/hold position tho.


------------------------------

From: "Jason and Kathy" <kendrick mddc.com>
Subject: Re: HELP! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:57:56 -0600


The culprit is probably the condenser, but replace the points as well.
Points gap should be about .017, or set your dwell at 32 to 34 degrees, if I
remember correctly.
Jason Kendrick


------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:08:52 -0800
From: Don Grossman <duckdon mac.com>
Subject: Re: Front-End Vibe


>Looking for some opinions B4 I tear and swear in the cold. There's a
>vibration in the front end on the ditch side of my '77 F250 4x4. It's
>not all the time and not steady. Does it when I turn to the left or on a
>crowned road and only after 30 MPH or so. Any ideas??
>
>TIA,
>Greg

My Ę.02 is on the bearings or tie rod ends.


------------------------------

From: "Stevel" <canzus seanet.com>
Subject: Re: Yo-Yo Science
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:07:33 -0800



----- Original Message -----
From: Greg <greg gregster.com>
To: <61-79-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Monday, 22 January, 2001 5:12 PM
Subject: [61-79-list] Front-End Vibe


> Yo-Yo Science Oxygenated The Rain Forest: I read about 10 years ago,
> that allot of the Rain Forest was being converted to farm land. It was
> this writers (he drives a Ford Truck!) opinion that young vegetation
> produced 10 times (or something like that) more oxygen than old stagnant
> trees. Kinda like my 9 y/o stepson has ALLOT more energy than I do! :-)

How true, a scientist out in California did a little research on the
remains of the "Old Growth" forest, and found the the trees were a
net user of oxygen, where as the young, vibrant trees actually produced
oxygen.  And as an asides, to the arguement against logging, there are
more trees in the US than there was 300 years ago, as we now have
the expensive habit of fighting forest fires...

> Us loggers here in Maine have a bumper sticker for all the tree-huggers:
> "If you object to logging, try using plastic toilet paper". (And living
> in stone houses.)

Out here in the Northwest, we threaten them with spotted owl TP...

On to topics of manly trucks,  SWMBO has laid claim to the '68 F100,
which needs a tranny rebuild/replacement.  Anyone in the NW got a C6
for an FE laying around??

Stevel
too many to list...




------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:41:12 -0700
From: "William Whited (Tony)" <f10074 ford-trucks.com>
Subject: Dual battery setup


On my Super Camper Special, it has the set-up for dual battery's the
left battery is not in it, it has the the terminals and cables, mounts
and brackets for it I was wondering is that battery is just for the
Camper or will it be charged and used like a 2nd battery?  Thanks

--
William (Tony) Whited
74 F350 Ranger XLT Super Camper Special 460
77 F150 Custom 460
El Paso, TX
Semper Fi



------------------------------

From: "Hogan, Tom (Portland)" <Tom.Hogan kla-tencor.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:45:59 -0800



>
> Does anyone have an thoughts on the electronic ignition
> converters that fit inside the distributor cap.  Do they
> work....if so...do you recommend a particular brand?
>
> My re-built 390 motor with re-built carb feels like it misses
> a beat when at idle.  Tried all the usual adjustments and
> nothing seems to work.  Since everything else is
> new....thought this might be a solution.
>
> thanks....
> 71 custom money pit.
>
>

There are a couple of people here who have installed a pertronix converstion
and are very happy with it.  I couldn't comment on if it makes the engine
run smoother at idle.  I have a 390 with the duraspark electronic ignition
on it and I notice that it will occasionally miss at idle.  Just a very
slight roughness to the idle.  I think this might be characteristic of this
motor.  I have heard claims from Jacobs electronics that their computer
controlled ignition will solve this but again I cannot verify or deny.

Tom H.

------------------------------

From: "Hogan, Tom (Portland)" <Tom.Hogan kla-tencor.com>
Subject: Re: HELP! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:46:02 -0800



>
>
> Ok, I need some ideas here I am stumped.  Clifford has been
> for a few weeks
> cutting out and such for like 20 seconds at a time didnt
> usually happen till
> around 3000 rpm, Now I go to fire it up this morning and I
> have no spark at
> all. I went and got a new coil for $13.00 (gotta love my
> employee discounts
> at NAPA) and I still have no spark at all. I need to know
> what else it could
> be. I had a friend crank the engine over and I held onto the coil wire
> (being brave/dumb like I am hehe) and nothing happened. I
> dont know where
> the controll module is or if there is one on this year truck.
> It is a 71
> F250 with a 390 the dizzy is still points and condensor, so
> maybe that is
> the problem. If you have any ideas please respond as soon as possible.
> Thanks in advance,
> Keith
>
>
>
If it has point's and condensor it doesn't have an ignition module.  I would
probably replace the points and definately the condensor.  I had an engine
that died completely once and the problem was  that the wire going into the
condensor had burnt into 2 pieces.

If you have a voltmeter you might try checking the circuit out with that.

Tom H.

------------------------------

From: "Hogan, Tom (Portland)" <Tom.Hogan kla-tencor.com>
Subject: Re: 73-79 F250s
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:45:59 -0800



> Both of these websites are nothing but junk science designed
> to, among other
> things, scare the uninformed into jumping out of their
> horrible fossil fuel
> powered vehicles and into worthless electric vehicles,
<SNIP>

I wonder how good an idea a plug in car seems to Californians right now?
Bet my dinosaur F-150 goes farther than any battery car right now.  ;-)

Tom H.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:38:16 -0600
From: whynotbuyaPacer <dahorse jvlnet.com>
Subject: Re: Whiter Whites, plow switches?




Gary thats supposed to be hooked to a key on hot...and yr battery is
probably baking yr down /bypass solinoid as we type.

Norm


> GaryBBB wrote:
>
> > Say, BTW, I hooked my plow switch console to a live 12v supply which
> > happened to be very convenient on the fire wall but apparently there is some
> > part of the system that continues to draw power, even when not in use.  I
> > suspect the "Down" solenoid may have power to it at all times with the
> > switch in the down position (basically "Off"), not sure.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:11:46 -0800
From: scott <scott ford-trucks.com>
Subject: Cam



>>Cam recommendations anyone??. Sites for info???

Crane,Comp,Erson,Lunati(Holley) and Crower all have good sites with tons
of info.

>>I'd use the CJ cam of the '69-'70 vintage, but I don't think it is very >>strong below 3500 or so and I know it doesn't get any hint of economical >>gas mileage.

Cam development has come a long ways in 20 years.I was pling yto run a
CJ cam in my 428,but everybody I talk to tells me to try a cam from
"This century"

------------------------------

From: "Keith" <a2jkeith gci.net>
Subject: Re: HELP! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:18:15 -0900


Thanks for all the ideas guys,
I got ahold of Schu earlier today and he came over and took a look. I
replace coil and together (he did most of the work lol) we stuck in a new
distributor, cost me all of $29 hehe(Gotta love those parts discounts) and
clifford fired up and ran beautifully. Also had to replace doggone heater
core, I love the placement on that thing, 3 bolts and a few wire connections
and it was out, very easy to do. Went back to Napa to get parts for Schu's
truck, and it was closed 1/2 hour early, couldnt figure out why, untill we
saw all the police cars and the bombsquad outside, I think someone got
pissed off at the long lines and wait time ;) Oh well, thanks again for the
help
Keith
71 Tbird Powered F250 390.


------------------------------

From: Aeroape82 aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 06:07:07 EST
Subject: Re: Front-End Vibe

In a message dated 1/22/01 4:15:04 PM Central Standard Time,
greg gregster.com writes:


> . Does it when I turn to the left or on a
> crowned road and only after 30 MPH or so. U-joints were all new last
> Sept and were greased recently so I don't think that's the problem. It's
> not the tires ... just rotated them to see if it was. Wheel bearings are
> tight. Any ideas??
>


Have you tried checking the uppe and lower ball joints.

Glenn  NY

78 F250 (talk about projects and headaches)




------------------------------

From: "Michael" <danger csolutions.net>
Subject: Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudeness
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 04:45:30 -0800


> I draw the line however at patently false information being passed on as
> "fact". There are absolutely not as many "experts" out there who say
there's
> less oxygen in the atmosphere today than there was 30 years ago. If you
find
> even 1 qualified scientist who says that then I'd be shocked to say the
> least. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who's even tried to measure it
> since the number of samples you'd have to take at different altitudes and
> different locations is unbelievably large. There are plenty of "chicken
> little scientists" who say that we're destroying the rain forest and
> therefore we must be reducing the amount of oxygen that is produced but
they
> have zero proof to back it up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   The page at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.csiro.au/page.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=OxygenMeasurements
contains info that atmospheric oxygen levels have been falling for the last
20 years. Note the graph at the bottom of the page.
   The page at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://earth.agu.org/revgeophys/keelin01/node4.html contains
info presented by Ralph F. Keeling, Assistant Professor of
Geochemistry. Note the comments about seasonal variations in oxygen and
nitrogen ratios (less oxygen in winter).

   These sources of info seem valid and I see no reason why anyone
shouldn't believe the data presented. Not only are my statements regarding
long term decline of O2 supported by scientific data, my theory about less
oxygen during the winter vs. summer is also supported by Professor Ralph F.
Keeling.

:: ready to move on to a different subject ::

Michael
69 F250 390 4V, T18, 3.54 LS
69 F250 390 4V, C6, 4.11
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.csolutions.net/myth/ford/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:28:51 -0600
From: Steve Schaefer <schaefer PLASTEKGROUP.COM>
Subject: Re: Cams


That was 1 of the first things I learned when I started building Ford motors.  With the stock heads with the small and flat exhuast port you need to have the exhuast valve hang open longer to get the pressure out of the cylinder.  (This works the best on the smog heads from the 335 and 385 series).  1 of the best improvments you can do for the stock head is to remove the thermactor bump out of the exhuast port.  Unfortunatly this does not take care of the low and flat port problem.

As for a cam choice, spend some time on the phone with a rep from your favorite cam company once you have figured out your whole combo (ie, weight, gear ratio, compression, tranny, etc.).  I think you may be a bit suprised at there selection.  We did this with a buddy of mine Tr #$ A#.   Comp Cams recommended a cam that was smaller than the one we would have selected.  Well, said car, ran 12.50's on street tires thru the exhuast (full interior, 3.55 gears, and a throw together small block).

Good luck

Steve S.
54 F-100
76 F-350 Crew cab
77 F-250 Supercab
79 Bronco
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/8663/



>
>
> I was speaking with the Ford Motorsport Tech about converters and we ended up discussing cams. For a fairly stock: reasonable compression, large chamber heads ect., he recommended a cam with a longer duration exhaust cycle. The 460's need help on the exhaust side of the equation to clear the cylinder. Comp Cams makes a "Dual Energy Cam" which is for the 1500 to 5750 rpm range - the 265DEH. It's intake duration is 265 and exhaust is 275. I run a Comp's Cam but any company that supplies this sort of grind would be good. www.compcams.com & www.cranecams.com have good web sites. A roller set-up is really nice in that you can have steeper ramp up and still maintain a good idle and valve train stability but you pay for the privilege. Try to avoid the solid bumpsticks unless you really enjoy tinkering. Just some food for thought.
>
> John
> '77 F150 4X4 466/C6/4:11's/33's
>
> I'm currently building a 460 from a '77 F350 Supercab and need some
> opinions( now does that open the floor up or what)..  I'd like it to build
> its max torque in the 1800-3500 rpm range and be fairly flat over that
> range  (cruise and passing ranges), but I'd also like it to still be fairly
> strong up to the 5000 - 5500 range. (not run completely out of breath
> in other words).  I'll keep this truck for many years I hope and I want
> to be happy with it..
> Cam recommendations anyone??. Sites for info???  Any insight you can
> give will be appreciated.  I'd use the CJ cam of the '69-'70 vintage, but
> I don't think it is very strong below 3500 or so and I know it doesn't get
> any hint of economical gas mileage.  I'd even consider a roller setup if
> someone makes it for torque low end..
> I plan to run the E4OD with Baumann Engineering shift module/wiring.


------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:20:30 -0400
From: "Kerr Heating Products Research and Development" <RD kerrheating.ns.ca>
Subject: '76 F150 Info


I'm look for parts interchange information.  I have  a '76 F150 4x4. I
noticed that the online store has
two books but they only go up to '74. I am also interested in any
information pertaining to the history of the pre '80's 4x4 (Specifically
Ford, Of course). Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Jim A.
'76 F150



------------------------------

From: "GaryBBB" <gpeters3 lni.net>
Subject: Re: Oxygenated fuel, so called scientific studies
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:23:41 -0800


Machael, for every scientist who says "Yes" there is one who says "No".
You, therefore, are the one who has to reason on evidence presented by each
and come to your own conclusions.  Have you seen the opposing side's data?
The "Green" generation are very carefull to pick and choose the ones who
support their ideas and are very ambitious about publishing their views,
that does not, by any means, make them correct.  They were able to convince
the Feds that the short tailed, flat nosed lizzard only lived in a narrow
strip of desert that the Barstow to Vegas motorcycle race used and that it
lived no where else in the world so the race had to be canceled to preserve
the species.  Does that make sense to you?

The fact that the other side does not publish as energetically does not, in
itself, make them wrong either.  There are also studies that indicate that
the slightest loss of balance in the atmosphere would cause life to cease as
we know it so numbers in the range of 3-5% are out of the question, not even
possible.  What happens when you go high into the moutains and stay for a
while?  What is the actual change in oxygen in percent at that elevation?
What about at 10k feet where they say you have to have oxygen to survive,
what is the percent there?  Do some research and let us all know, please :-)

I don't know the actual numbers but I have a feeling that such research will
shed some light on this subject and we can all benefit from it :-)  I may
just get ambitious and do it myself :-)

--
Happily Retired (but broke)
Michigan Pot Hole Jumping,
78 Bronco Loving, Gary
--

>     These sources of info seem valid and I see no reason why anyone
> shouldn't believe the data presented.


------------------------------

From: "GaryBBB" <gpeters3 lni.net>
Subject: Re: Front-End Vibe
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:55:21 -0800


The point is, are the axles turning when this happens or does it matter?  In
or out of 4x4 isn't as important at hubs locked or unlocked in this case.
If it doesn't matter what mode than you are back to the wheel assy itself in
some way and can rule out the axles and diff etc... but if it only happens
when hubs are locked then it could be a number of things.  At 30 mph I would
not expect the inner needle bearing to cause a vibration.  At 60 maybe.....
Bearings don't usually cause a vibration either, they squeak or they grab or
they clunk.  Shafts, tires, bent wheels cause vibration, usually.  A bad
(really bad) wheel bearing could cause a shimmy but not likely to cause
vibration.

I've only lost a couple of front wheel bearings in my life and the 4x4
(bronco) was really wierd.  Drove nice all the time but had this vague
wander to it until one day it just squealed like a castrated pig, grabbed
and yanked the wheel out of my hands....then let go and went on like nothing
happened.  Went a few yard further and it did it again and I turned around
and put it in the barn and took the bird to work.  When I lifted the truck I
watched the front wheel and it literally dangled at a 15-20 degree angle and
was just hanging from the spindle.  The bearing was so trashed that I had to
remove the spindle bolts and discard the whole assy including the lockout
and spindle.  The outer casing of the hub was bulged out where it got so hot
it melted the internal parts yet up to that point it drove fine and didn't
make a sound and didn't vibrate but.......weeks earlier, many weeks earlier
I had heard this little Kitty squeak, just barely perceptible that would
come and go and I checked the wheels by hand and they spun real nice and
made no noise so I just kept running it.....Little did I know! :-(

--
Happily Retired (but broke)
Michigan Pot Hole Jumping,
78 Bronco Loving, Gary
--

> Haven't driven that fast in 4 WD. I have enough weight in the
> back (deisel,
> tools, chains, saws) so I hardly use 4 WD except for plowing. I
> was thinking
> about this since my last post ... ain't there a bearing that the axle goes
> thru on the wheel side of the U-joint? Think maybe that could be
> the culprit?


------------------------------

From: "GaryBBB" <gpeters3 lni.net>
Subject: Re: Whiter Whites, plow switches?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:01:45 -0800


I think you might be right Norm :-(  It still works and right now I have it
in the middle position and it doesn't seem to be drawing any juice but this
is not acceptable in any case because all I have to do is forget to flip it
back to center when I shut down and it will go dead again so I will have to
relocate my source, when I get over this awefull sinus, head cold.  Don't
have the ambition to do anything but sleep right now :-(

I pulled the bat cable just to be safe :-)

--
Happily Retired (but broke)
Michigan Pot Hole Jumping,
78 Bronco Loving, Gary
--

> Gary thats supposed to be hooked to a key on hot...and yr battery is
> probably baking yr down /bypass solinoid as we type.
>
> Norm


------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:40:34 -0800 (PST)
From: James Oxley <joxenburger yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudenes



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>    The page at
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.csiro.au/page.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=OxygenMeasurements
>contains info that atmospheric oxygen levels have
been >falling for the last
>20 years.

Hmmm, .03 %. Is that +/- .03% of 20.95% (like 20.92%)
or is that a change of .03% of 20.95%, which would be
.0014% (doesn't really say). What is the actual
tolerance on the study/equipment?? (.05% maybe???).
Does this scientist/organization or their "funders"
have anything to gain politically/economically by this
finding? Here's an important one!!! Is this the ONLY
spot in the whole world they measured O2 levels (seems
like it to me!)? These are things you must consider
before blindly assuming what they have to say is
correct or even more important significant. Another
view on the same study.
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.co2science.org/journal/2000/v3n4b2.htm

Within the last 2 years, they have cut the future
predictions for global temp rise in half?? Hmm, they
were so sure 3 years ago?????
Is it actually happening? Funny how satallite and
balloon measurements corrolate and say no, but ground
temps say yes.

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.co2science.org/edit/v3_edit/v3n12edit.htm
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.microtech.com.au/daly/index.htm
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.greeningearthsociety.org/Articles/2000/regional1.htm


                            OX

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices.
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://auctions.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:44:14 -0800 (PST)
From: James Oxley <joxenburger yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudenes



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>    The page at
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.csiro.au/page.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=OxygenMeasurements
>contains info that atmospheric oxygen levels have
been >falling for the last
>20 years.

Hmmm, .03 %. Is that +/- .03% of 20.95% (like 20.92%)
or is that a change of .03% of 20.95%, which would be
.0014% (doesn't really say). What is the actual
tolerance on the study/equipment?? (.05% maybe???).
Does this scientist/organization or their "funders"
have anything to gain politically/economically by this
finding? Here's an important one!!! Is this the ONLY
spot in the whole world they measured O2 levels (seems
like it to me!)? These are things you must consider
before blindly assuming what they have to say is
correct or even more important significant. Another
view on the same study.
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.co2science.org/journal/2000/v3n4b2.htm

Within the last 2 years, they have cut the future
predictions for global temp rise in half?? Hmm, they
were so sure 3 years ago?????
Is it actually happening? Funny how satallite and
balloon measurements corrolate and say no, but ground
temps say yes.

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.co2science.org/edit/v3_edit/v3n12edit.htm
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.microtech.com.au/daly/index.htm
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.greeningearthsociety.org/Articles/2000/regional1.htm


                            OX

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices.
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://auctions.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:50:53 -0600
Subject: Re: Rear axle
From: "John LaGrone" <jlagrone ford-trucks.com>


> Gene G. writes:  >>What are the symptoms of a bent axle? <<
>
> Usually a slight vibration and uneven wear on the rear tire on that axle.
>
> Could it cause clutch chatter?
>
> No!!  I don't think so..
>
>>>What is invloved in checking the rear axle to see if it's bent? <<
>
> Remove and inspect.  Wait!  You just might be able to see a "wobble" in
> the side if the axle were bent enough to cause a vibration..
>
> snip
>
>>>Thanks for listening ...<<
>
> Glad to do so..
>
> Azie Magnusson
> Ardmore, Al.
>

You might have a bent wheel or warped brake drum.

-- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com     <]:-) <]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)
1979 F150 Custom, Long Wide Bed, Regular Cab, 351M, C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!


------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:57:44 -0600
Subject: Re: 73-79 F250s
From: "John LaGrone" <jlagrone ford-trucks.com>


>
>
>> Both of these websites are nothing but junk science designed
>> to, among other
>> things, scare the uninformed into jumping out of their
>> horrible fossil fuel
>> powered vehicles and into worthless electric vehicles,
> <SNIP>
>
> I wonder how good an idea a plug in car seems to Californians right now?
> Bet my dinosaur F-150 goes farther than any battery car right now.  ;-)
>

Energy is energy. What do you suppose the power companies use to light their
steam plants? Most of them in TX burn lignite coal or natural gas. The car
may be clean, but the electricity has to come from some where.

-- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com     <]:-) <]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)
1979 F150 Custom, Long Wide Bed, Regular Cab, 351M, C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:05:09 -0600
Subject: Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudenes
From: "John LaGrone" <jlagrone ford-trucks.com>


> Within the last 2 years, they have cut the future
> predictions for global temp rise in half?? Hmm, they
> were so sure 3 years ago?????
> Is it actually happening? Funny how satallite and
> balloon measurements corrolate and say no, but ground
> temps say yes.

Besides, we are coming out of an ice age. It is supposed to be getting
warmer.

-- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com     <]:-) <]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)
1979 F150 Custom, Long Wide Bed, Regular Cab, 351M, C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!


------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:07:03 -0600
Subject: Re: Front-End Vibe
From: "John LaGrone" <jlagrone ford-trucks.com>


> Shafts, tires, bent wheels cause vibration, usually.  A bad
> (really bad) wheel bearing could cause a shimmy but not likely to cause
> vibration.

First thing to check for is a bad tire.

-- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com     <]:-) <]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)
1979 F150 Custom, Long Wide Bed, Regular Cab, 351M, C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!


------------------------------

From: "Arnie and his F250 G" <arny_f250 hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudeness
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:11:13 -0600


Again, I have read, re-read, and even re-re-read those articles.  They are
one-sided junk science.  They don't even attempt to disprove their own
theories.  Great you believe them, wonderful.  But donít even attempt to
pass that stuff of as legitimate scientifically proven facts.  It is a
hypothesis, and a unproven one at that!

And yes I agree lets move on to the next subject.


Arny


From: "Michael" <danger csolutions.net>
Reply-To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
To: "FTE List" <61-79-list ford-trucks.com>
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudeness
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 04:45:30 -0800


> I draw the line however at patently false information being passed on as
> "fact". There are absolutely not as many "experts" out there who say
there's
> less oxygen in the atmosphere today than there was 30 years ago. If you
find
> even 1 qualified scientist who says that then I'd be shocked to say the
> least. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who's even tried to measure
it
> since the number of samples you'd have to take at different altitudes and
> different locations is unbelievably large. There are plenty of "chicken
> little scientists" who say that we're destroying the rain forest and
> therefore we must be reducing the amount of oxygen that is produced but
they
> have zero proof to back it up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    The page at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.csiro.au/page.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=OxygenMeasurements
contains info that atmospheric oxygen levels have been falling for the last
20 years. Note the graph at the bottom of the page.
    The page at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://earth.agu.org/revgeophys/keelin01/node4.html
contains
info presented by Ralph F. Keeling, Assistant Professor of
Geochemistry. Note the comments about seasonal variations in oxygen and
nitrogen ratios (less oxygen in winter).

    These sources of info seem valid and I see no reason why anyone
shouldn't believe the data presented. Not only are my statements regarding
long term decline of O2 supported by scientific data, my theory about less
oxygen during the winter vs. summer is also supported by Professor Ralph F.
Keeling.

:: ready to move on to a different subject ::

Michael
69 F250 390 4V, T18, 3.54 LS
69 F250 390 4V, C6, 4.11
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.csolutions.net/myth/ford/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://explorer.msn.com


------------------------------

From: "GaryBBB" <gpeters3 lni.net>
Subject: Re: Yo-Yo Science
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:13:19 -0800


As to forest fires, I've read that if we did not fight them there would be
more but much smaller,  less destructive ones which tend to keep the under
brush cleaned out without damaging the large trees.  Of course, this was the
way Nature handled it thousands of years ago so getting things back to that
condition is probably out of the question at this point :-)  I would argue
the statement that there are more trees but that's argumentative and I can't
substantiate my beleifs so won't comment on it :-)

Do they use Ford Trucks to fight forest fires? (truck content :-))

--
Happily Retired (but broke)
Michigan Pot Hole Jumping,
78 Bronco Loving, Gary
--

> more trees in the US than there was 300 years ago, as we now have
> the expensive habit of fighting forest fires...


------------------------------

From: "Bill Beyer" <bbeyer pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudeness
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:37:55 -0800

And all of this supports your theory that there is less O2 in the atmosphere
now than 30 years ago? Right. There's no question that there's seasonal
variations, it makes perfect sense. Less seasonal plant activity, less O2
production.

Now as far as your .03% reduction, that was a study done at one location
over a 20 year period of time. Hell they even admit that the fluctuation
from indoors to outdoors is larger. Just like the mythical global warming
monster, who's to say that the percentage of O2 hasn't fluctuated in that
range for millions of years?

Now to try to bring this back on topic, do you really think that a nominal
.03% reduction of atmospheric O2 in Tasmania is going to affect the ability
to increase the compression ratio of a truck engine which is how you
originally started this little discussion?

/// Friends help you move...Real friends help you move bodies \\

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael" <danger csolutions.net>
To: "FTE List" <61-79-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 4:45 AM
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Oxygenated fuel, rudeness


>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>     The page at
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.csiro.au/page.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=OxygenMeasurements
> contains info that atmospheric oxygen levels have been falling for the
last
> 20 years. Note the graph at the bottom of the page.
>     The page at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://earth.agu.org/revgeophys/keelin01/node4.html
contains
> info presented by Ralph F. Keeling, Assistant Professor of
> Geochemistry. Note the comments about seasonal variations in oxygen and
> nitrogen ratios (less oxygen in winter).
>
>     These sources of info seem valid and I see no reason why anyone
> shouldn't believe the data presented. Not only are my statements regarding
> long term decline of O2 supported by scientific data, my theory about less
> oxygen during the winter vs. summer is also supported by Professor Ralph
F.
> Keeling.
>
> :: ready to move on to a different subject ::
>




------------------------------

From: "Bill Beyer" <bbeyer pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: 73-79 F250s
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:42:40 -0800

And then let's talk about how to dispose of all the used up batteries from
these wonderful electric vehicles...

/// Friends help you move...Real friends help you move bodies \\

----- Original Message -----
From: "John LaGrone" <jlagrone ford-trucks.com>
To: <61-79-list ....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.