Received: with LISTAR (v0.129a; list 61-79-list); Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:04:48 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:04:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server <listar ford-trucks.com>
To: 61-79-list digest users <listar ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: 61-79-list Digest V2000 #217
Precedence: list

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 1961-1979 Truck  Mailing  List

Visit our  web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list" in the subject  of  the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
61-79-list Digest Sun, 27 Aug 2000 Volume: 2000  Issue: 217

In This Issue:
Re: : compression
Re: Which Carb?
steering stablizer
Which Carb?
roblem with firing motor
Re: roblem with firing motor
Re: Ignition upgrades
Re: roblem with firing motor
Re: roblem with firing motor
Re: roblem with firing motor
Re: roblem with firing motor
Re: roblem with firing motor
Re: roblem with firing motor
'74 F250 Brakes
Balancing
wiring/firing motor/duraspark
Re: wiring/firing motor/duraspark
Re: Balancing
Re: Balancing
Re: roblem with firing motor
EFI
Re: '74 F250 Brakes
Re: wiring/firing motor/duraspark
Re: EFI
Re: Which Carb?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 21:52:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan Lee <danlee_58 yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: : compression

Tony,

It is definitly time for a valve job at least. I'll
bet the idle is rough. You have to squirt a little oil
in the low cylinders and see if they come up. If the
do, then it is rings. Otherwise probably just valves.

Dan Lee
'53 F100
400C-4V

>
> Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:47:18 -0600
> From: "William Whited (Tony)"
> <f10074 ford-trucks.com>
> Subject: compression
>
> I'm looking at a 74 truck that has a 460 and engine
> compression is
> between 90 and 145.  Do you guys think it is a
> problem?  The engine has
> around 115,000 miles on it.  TIA
>
> --
> William (Tony) Whited
> 74 F100 Ranger Supercab 390
> 77 F150 Custom 460
> El Paso, TX
> Semper Fi
>
>


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:04:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan Lee <danlee_58 yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Which Carb?

Scott,
I run a Carter 750 on my 400(406cu in). It is built up
similar to your 428. I drive around town and on the
freeway with no problem. I had to make some
adjustments on the rods and jets, but once I got it
tuned in it was OK. I used an Edelbrock tuning kit and
instructions (better than carter). The 625 has smaller
primaries and should be better on gas and at low RPM,
but for everything else go to the 750.

Dan Lee
'53 F100
400C-4V
>
> Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 17:27:02 -0700
> From: scott <scott ford-trucks.com>
> Subject: Which Carb?
>
>  I had enough of the Motorcraft/Holley on my 84
> F-250 W/460.
>  I pulled the 625 Carter AFB off of my 76 F-250 4x4
> W/428 and
> installed it on the 84.The 84 runs great,but now the
> 76 needs
> a new AFB or Edelbrock carb.
>  I can't make up my mind,750 or 625 cfm.It ran fine
> with the 625
> and I'm wondering if the 750 would make it run even
> better or
> if I'm better off with another 625.
>  I ran the numbers at a carb size site and it stated
> a 600 is the
> perfect size for a 428.I also looked in my Edelbrock
> catalog and it
> states the
> 750 comes with a little leaner rod/jet combo than
> I'm currently running
> in the 625.
>  I don't think there would be any increase or
> decrease in the over all
> on or off road performance .I think the only
> difference would be at WFO.
>  Is my theory correct? Or am I better off with a
> 625?
>  BTW the 428 has headers 2 1/2" dual exhaust with
> H-pipe and 3 camber
> Flowmasters,Edelbrock performer 390 intake,Unilite
> Dist.,Promaster coil,
> RV cam that will be changed out to a hotter one at
> some point,
> 10.5 -1 compression and it is balanced.
>  The truck has a 4 spd and 4.10 gears.
> I wheel it and tow with it but it is not a daily
> driver.(The 84 is).
>


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

From: "Harvey, Blaine" <HarveyB sgc.gc.ca>
Subject: steering stablizer
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:06:03 -0400

Where would one find a steering stabilizer for a 79 f-150 2wd?

B. Harvey

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:18:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Flipped Shackle
From: "John LaGrone" <jlagrone ford-trucks.com>

> "wish" <wish ford-trucks.net> wrote:
>> >> Hahahaha, sounds like an old Chrysler with its torsion bar rear suspension
>                                                                 ^^^^
> Then I wrote:
>> >Uhhhhh, didn't you mean "front", or did I REALLY miss a few years during the
>> >early '70's?  ;-)
>
> Then wish wrote:
>> Nope, I really meant rear ... I'm talkin 50's though, the first or second gen
>> hemi's ... not the 'cuda's and stuff from the late 60's and early 70's ...
>> Just my $.02
>> wish
>
> Now I'm gonna write:
> Naaaaaahhhhh!  They were ALL rear leaf springs!  FRONT torsion bars, yes.
> Started in 1957
> if I remember right.  But rears, NOPE!  All leaf springs.  Gonna' have to
> show me.
>
> (OK, I'll take Azie's word for it.  He's been around forever and would know
these
> things).
>
>    ;-)
>
> -M-
>
> Marv Miller  mailto:ae722 lafn.org
> "Striving to be the person
>  that my dog thinks I am".
>
Marv,

I'm not as old as Azie, but I have to admit I don't recall ever seeing a
rear torsion bar unit. I owned a 61 Chrysler with front tb and a 77 Eldorado
with front tb, but the Chrysler had rear leafs (leaves?) and the Eldo had
rear coils.

-- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com     <]:-) <]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)
1979 F150 Custom, Long Wide Bed, Regular Cab, 351M, C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

------------------------------

From: "J.X. Schulz" <bdijxs bridgetest.com>
Subject: Which Carb?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:05:59 -0600

Hey Scott,

Sorry, I'm not an authority on carb sizes, but I do have a 750 Demon on my
428, which has similar mods to yours. My engine builder wouldn't let me put
anything smaller on!!!!!!!!!! If you have questions about this carb, let me
know. It appears to be a Holley design, but a lot easier to adjust. It runs
great.

I had a question, though. About what elevation are you at? I noticed your
high compression ratio, and I wonder if you ever have any pinging problems.
I've never had any here in Colorado (I think my CR is about 10.3:1), but I
have a cam to help bleed this off and aluminum heads. Mr. Wish (in Iowa) has
been having trouble with this, and he thinks his ratio is closer to 10:1
maybe...

We're working on another 428, and I'm wondering how much effort we should
put into getting the CR down from over 10???? The engine guy says he knows
someone who has a program set up on his CNC mill to cut out the stock heads
to increase the chamber sizes.

This engine won't have the aluminum heads, and probably some kind of RV cam.

Any ideas?

CJ



------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:26:29 -0400
From: Joe <shoman p3.net>
Subject: roblem with firing motor

GRoup
Well i fixed my fuel problem on my 68 390 with a new fuel pump..Now its
time
to break in the motor....I am getting spark and fuel and the motor will
fire but I cannot keep it running???I am moving the Dist. to try to get
some timing and she just
wont stay running????Its a 68 390 converted with duraspark..Where should

i start???
Joe
68 F-100 4x4 390(Just rebuilt),c6,dana 44 w discs ,dana 60..She wants to
run :)


------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:50:34 -0500
Subject: Re: roblem with firing motor
From: "John LaGrone" <jlagrone ford-trucks.com>

> to break in the motor....I am getting spark and fuel and the motor will
> fire but I cannot keep it running???I am moving the Dist. to try to get
> some timing and she just
> wont stay running????Its a 68 390 converted with duraspark..Where should
>
> i start???
> Joe

Joe,

My guess is that the distributor is off by 180 degrees. The easiest way to
check this is to move the wires around the distributor cap by 4 posts each.
Then, if you want to maintain originality, you can worry about pulling the
distributor and putting it back to spec. BTW, this is a common problem when
putting a new engine back together if you aren't aware and prepare up front.

-- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com     <]:-) <]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)
1979 F150 Custom, Long Wide Bed, Regular Cab, 351M, C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!


------------------------------

From: Matt Senn <msenn avistacom.net>
Subject: Re: roblem with firing motor
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:08:43 -0700

how long does the engine run before dying?

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe [mailto:shoman p3.net]
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 8:26 AM
To: ford trucklist61-79
Subject: [61-79-list] roblem with firing motor


GRoup
Well i fixed my fuel problem on my 68 390 with a new fuel pump..Now its
time
to break in the motor....I am getting spark and fuel and the motor will
fire but I cannot keep it running???I am moving the Dist. to try to get
some timing and she just
wont stay running????Its a 68 390 converted with duraspark..Where should

i start???
Joe
68 F-100 4x4 390(Just rebuilt),c6,dana 44 w discs ,dana 60..She wants to
run :)

=============================================================
To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
Please remove this footer when replying.

------------------------------

From: Matt Senn <msenn avistacom.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition upgrades
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:12:06 -0700

i guess i'm also interested in knowing if the upgrade resulted in noticeable
horsepower or torque increases??  and how important is the rev limiting
capability??

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael (Cut me and I'll bleed FORD Blue) Whittington
[mailto:broncoman85 excite.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2000 8:03 AM
To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Ignition upgrades


Hey Matt I'm with Dan Lee I'm running an MSD Ignition(Pro Billit dist,6AL
box and Adj. timing control) It is a head ache changing the rpm chips, not
neccessarily changing but having to keep up with them, I'm thinking of going
to the adj. add on they have for this. Just another part to buy when holley
has the adj. built in.

Whit
77 F250 4X4 20 inchs lift 800 horse 429 44 Boggers
75 F100 460
78 Bronco 11 inchs lift stock 351M 44 Gumbos
69 F100 302
76 F250 Dual wheels 390 Tow Truck
85 Bronco 302



------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:40:47 -0400
From: Joe <shoman p3.net>
Subject: Re: roblem with firing motor

Matt
a second or 2
Joe

Matt Senn wrote:

> how long does the engine run before dying?
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joe [mailto:shoman p3.net]
> Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 8:26 AM
> To: ford trucklist61-79
> Subject: [61-79-list] roblem with firing motor
>
> GRoup
> Well i fixed my fuel problem on my 68 390 with a new fuel pump..Now its
> time
> to break in the motor....I am getting spark and fuel and the motor will
> fire but I cannot keep it running???I am moving the Dist. to try to get
> some timing and she just
> wont stay running????Its a 68 390 converted with duraspark..Where should
>
> i start???
> Joe
> 68 F-100 4x4 390(Just rebuilt),c6,dana 44 w discs ,dana 60..She wants to
> run :)
>
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.


------------------------------

From: Matt Senn <msenn avistacom.net>
Subject: Re: roblem with firing motor
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:47:13 -0700

when i put my 390 together with the duraspark setup, it would run for about
1 second then die (seemed like it would only run as long as i was holding
the key in the start position) . . . just for kicks, i reserved the red and
white wires going to the duraspark module and that fixed my problem (if i
remember correctly, on a stock duraspark setup, the red/white wires on the
module actually do to the white/red wires on the harness) . . . just a
suggestion

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe [mailto:shoman p3.net]
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 12:41 PM
To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: roblem with firing motor


Matt
a second or 2
Joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:59:30 -0400
From: Joe <shoman p3.net>
Subject: Re: roblem with firing motor

Matt
thats Exactly my engine..If i want to burn up the starter and keep the key on
it will run :).what do you mean reseve the wire??..Sorry i dont understand
Joe

Matt Senn wrote:

> when i put my 390 together with the duraspark setup, it would run for about
> 1 second then die (seemed like it would only run as long as i was holding
> the key in the start position) . . . just for kicks, i reserved the red and
> white wires going to the duraspark module and that fixed my problem (if i
> remember correctly, on a stock duraspark setup, the red/white wires on the
> module actually do to the white/red wires on the harness) . . . just a
> suggestion
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joe [mailto:shoman p3.net]
> Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 12:41 PM
> To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: [61-79-list] Re: roblem with firing motor
>
> Matt
> a second or 2
> Joe
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.


------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:24:03 -0500
From: "Howard Bottles" <Howard.Bottles austin.ppdi.com>
Subject: Re: roblem with firing motor

he probably meant reverse the wires

Howardb

Joe wrote:

> Matt
> thats Exactly my engine..If i want to burn up the starter and keep the key on
> it will run :).what do you mean reseve the wire??..Sorry i dont understand
> Joe
>
> Matt Senn wrote:
>
> > when i put my 390 together with the duraspark setup, it would run for about
> > 1 second then die (seemed like it would only run as long as i was holding
> > the key in the start position) . . . just for kicks, i reserved the red and
> > white wires going to the duraspark module and that fixed my problem (if i
> > remember correctly, on a stock duraspark setup, the red/white wires on the
> > module actually do to the white/red wires on the harness) . . . just a
> > suggestion
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Joe [mailto:shoman p3.net]
> > Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 12:41 PM
> > To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
> > Subject: [61-79-list] Re: roblem with firing motor
> >
> > Matt
> > a second or 2
> > Joe
> > =============================================================
> > To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> > Please remove this footer when replying.
>
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.


------------------------------

From: Matt Senn <msenn avistacom.net>
Subject: Re: roblem with firing motor
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:23:10 -0700

oh ya, i didn't even catch that . . .

reVerSe the wires, although i spose you could reserve them too  :)



-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Bottles [mailto:Howard.Bottles austin.ppdi.com]
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 2:24 PM
To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: roblem with firing motor


he probably meant reverse the wires

Howardb

------------------------------

From: daves8 juno.com
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:39:13 -0600
Subject: Re: roblem with firing motor

That's right.  I had the same thing when I converted my truck over to
electronic ignition (about a month ago).  The wiring code gets reversed
in the harness.  The red and white wires go to the run and start
functions on the switch.  You probably have them reversed so when you
release the switch the run wire is not getting energized.  I did exactly
the same thing with mine.  Just reverse the red and white wires and drive
away.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:47:13 -0700 Matt Senn <msenn avistacom.net>
writes:
> when i put my 390 together with the duraspark setup, it would run for
> about 1 second then die (seemed like it would only run as long as i was

> holding the key in the start position) . . . just for kicks, i reserved
the
> red and white wires going to the duraspark module and that fixed my
problem
> (if i remember correctly, on a stock duraspark setup, the red/white
wires
> on the module actually do to the white/red wires on the harness) . . .
just
> a suggestion

________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk!  For your FREE software, visit:
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:42:49 -0500
From: "Howard Bottles" <Howard.Bottles austin.ppdi.com>
Subject: '74 F250 Brakes

I finally installed the new 390 into my '74 F250 this past weekend, and
also installed a new master cylinder/power brake booster a few months
back, but the truck was not running at the time. I bench bled the m/c
per the instructions a few months back, and then bled the brakes at the
wheel cylinders and calipers yesterday. The brakes seem ok, but the
pedal does not return all the way back to the top, causing the brake
lights to stay on.

Anyone have a good proceedure for a total brake system flush and bleed?
Any clues or info are appreciated.

Thanks
Howardb


------------------------------

From: "Dave Emerick" <djemerick hotmail.com>
Subject: Balancing
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:53:15 EST

Well...getting ready to begin that FE rebuild.  I haven't been to the
machine shop yet, but wanted to have some opinions.  I trying to decide if I
should spend the bucks and have the assembly balanced. I realize if a high
rpm barn burner, there would be no question, but it isn't. In other engine
rebuilds I've done, I've never had them balanced, either due to cost (a
couple weren't for me), or application, and have never had any problems with
breakage, vibration, or fracturing of parts (one was a 351W, and was beat on
pretty hard). Wondered if the cost justify's the expenditure for this low
rpm truck engine (except for the occasional carbon cleaning). The same rods,
matching crank, and new cast pistons are going back in.....I'm trying to
keep this whole thing under budget, did some calculating over the weekend,
and found my budget getting tigher than expected....
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://profiles.msn.com.


------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:09:12 -0400
From: Joe <shoman p3.net>
Subject: wiring/firing motor/duraspark

  Matt,
thanks for the info...See if this sound right.I'm using the wire to
power the coil(1st red wire on duraspark)from the old points coil..they
both use 12 volts and the diagram says to use that wire...Now for power
to the module...the red wire and a white wire...I have the red wire
going to a source that is hot when in run(its actually
a connector for the wiper motor there was an open spot) so i used
it..Could this be the problem????My truck is a 68 so i know the wire
colors are diff from your 73..
Also the white wire..it says to connect to the "S" terminal if i
remember right, but when i do that and fire the motor the engine cranks
on its own, if i remove the white
wire it stops cranking??????
Where am i going wrong
Joe
68 F-100 390,c6


------------------------------

From: Matt Senn <msenn avistacom.net>
Subject: Re: wiring/firing motor/duraspark
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:11:58 -0700

joe, i'll take a peek at my truck tonight and let you know in the morning .
. . i don't want to say anything too specific without actually looking under
the hood and making sure i'm right because i wired it up about 6 months ago
and i'm not sure how well my memory is serving me right now . . .

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe [mailto:shoman p3.net]
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 4:09 PM
To: Matt Senn; ford trucklist61-79
Subject: [61-79-list] wiring/firing motor/duraspark


  Matt,
thanks for the info...See if this sound right.I'm using the wire to
power the coil(1st red wire on duraspark)from the old points coil..they
both use 12 volts and the diagram says to use that wire...Now for power
to the module...the red wire and a white wire...I have the red wire
going to a source that is hot when in run(its actually
a connector for the wiper motor there was an open spot) so i used
it..Could this be the problem????My truck is a 68 so i know the wire
colors are diff from your 73..
Also the white wire..it says to connect to the "S" terminal if i
remember right, but when i do that and fire the motor the engine cranks
on its own, if i remove the white
wire it stops cranking??????
Where am i going wrong
Joe
68 F-100 390,c6

=============================================================
To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
Please remove this footer when replying.

------------------------------

From: "Garrett Nelson" <garrettnelson writeme.com>
Subject: Re: Balancing
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:33:40 -0500


My opinion is that it's worth it, it will make the engine last longer and it might run a little smoother and quieter.


---Garrett www.1966ford.com (with a balanced 390... 395 now actually)



 ----- Original Message -----
 From: Dave Emerick
 To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
 Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 4:53 PM
 Subject: [61-79-list] Balancing


 Well...getting ready to begin that FE rebuild.  I haven't been to the
 machine shop yet, but wanted to have some opinions.  I trying to decide if I
 should spend the bucks and have the assembly balanced. I realize if a high
 rpm barn burner, there would be no question, but it isn't. In other engine
 rebuilds I've done, I've never had them balanced, either due to cost (a
 couple weren't for me), or application, and have never had any problems with
 breakage, vibration, or fracturing of parts (one was a 351W, and was beat on
 pretty hard). Wondered if the cost justify's the expenditure for this low
 rpm truck engine (except for the occasional carbon cleaning). The same rods,
 matching crank, and new cast pistons are going back in.....I'm trying to
 keep this whole thing under budget, did some calculating over the weekend,
 and found my budget getting tigher than expected....



------------------------------

From: "Ted and Sarah Freeman" <oldparts ford-trucks.com>
Subject: Re: Balancing
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 19:10:47 -0400

I agree with Garrett.

Mine didn't cost that much and gives me a sense of knowing it's balanced.

Just my 2 cents.

-Ted

-----Original Message-----
From: Garrett Nelson <garrettnelson writeme.com>
To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com <61-79-list ford-trucks.com>
Date: Monday, August 28, 2000 5:37 PM
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Balancing


>
>My opinion is that it's worth it, it will make the engine last longer and
it might run a little smoother and quieter.
>
>
>---Garrett www.1966ford.com (with a balanced 390... 395 now actually)
>
>
>
>  ----- Original Message -----
>  From: Dave Emerick
>  To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
>  Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 4:53 PM
>  Subject: [61-79-list] Balancing
>
>
>  Well...getting ready to begin that FE rebuild.  I haven't been to the
>  machine shop yet, but wanted to have some opinions.  I trying to decide
if I
>  should spend the bucks and have the assembly balanced. I realize if a
high
>  rpm barn burner, there would be no question, but it isn't. In other
engine
>  rebuilds I've done, I've never had them balanced, either due to cost (a
>  couple weren't for me), or application, and have never had any problems
with
>  breakage, vibration, or fracturing of parts (one was a 351W, and was beat
on
>  pretty hard). Wondered if the cost justify's the expenditure for this low
>  rpm truck engine (except for the occasional carbon cleaning). The same
rods,
>  matching crank, and new cast pistons are going back in.....I'm trying to
>  keep this whole thing under budget, did some calculating over the
weekend,
>  and found my budget getting tigher than expected....
>



------------------------------

From: "G & J Boling" <flash1 alltel.net>
Subject: Re: roblem with firing motor
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 19:16:39 -0400

Its a 68 390 converted with duraspark..Where should
>
> i start???
> Joe
=============================================================
try taking the control box off and having it checked out ive seen allot of
them do this
gordon


------------------------------

From: Seventy4SCab aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:43:58 EDT
Subject: EFI

FTEers,

If anyone has switched over to a Ford EFI system, please email me offline. I
need a few pointers.

Glenn in TN
57 F100 -- in progress
74 F100 Supercab -- daily driver????

------------------------------

From: daves8 juno.com
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:51:04 -0600
Subject: Re: '74 F250 Brakes

Make sure all the brakes are adjusted properly.  That will give you the
highest pedal.  Sounds to me like the rear drums could be a little loose.


Also, there is a certain correct length for the adjustable link rod
between the pedal and booster.  You may just have to do some
trial-and-error to get the length right if you can't find the spec
somewhere.  Be careful not to get it too long or the master cylinder will
not retract all the way and you will have pressure on the system even
with the pedal released. (The master cylinder has bleed ports inside to
release the pressure inside the lines when the pedal is released.)

Dave Schoenberg
Arvada, Colorado

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:42:49 -0500 "Howard Bottles"
<Howard.Bottles austin.ppdi.com> writes:
> I finally installed the new 390 into my '74 F250 this past weekend,
> and also installed a new master cylinder/power brake booster a few
> months back........The brakes seem ok, but the
> pedal does not return all the way back to the top, causing the brake
> lights to stay on.

________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk!  For your FREE software, visit:
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

------------------------------

From: TBeeee aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:24:12 EDT
Subject: Re: wiring/firing motor/duraspark

Joe:

   I know pride is at stack, but if it were me and I was trying to run an
engine in, I'd throw the standard distributor back in and "run" with it (all
puns intended) <:-)

Stock Man
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://hometown.aol.com/tbeeee

------------------------------

From: "Jason Derra" <derrar internetcds.com>
Subject: Re: EFI
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 19:56:27 -0700

What do you need to know?  I just got mine running again after a fuel system
and electrical revamp.
Jason
'69 Bronco 5.0 HO EFI, NP435
'96 F250 Ext Cab 4WD Powerstroke E4OD

----- Original Message -----
From: <Seventy4SCab aol.com>
To: <61-79-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 5:43 PM
Subject: [61-79-list] EFI


> FTEers,
>
> If anyone has switched over to a Ford EFI system, please email me offline.
I
> need a few pointers.
>
> Glenn in TN
> 57 F100 -- in progress
> 74 F100 Supercab -- daily driver????
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
>
>


------------------------------

From: "Deacon" <deconblu ford-trucks.com>
Subject: Re: Which Carb?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:50:52 -0700

From: "scott"
>  I can't make up my mind,750 or 625 cfm.It ran fine with the 625
> and I'm wondering if the 750 would make it run even better or
> if I'm better off with another 625.

   I can't answer your question but I do suggest reading How to Choose
your next Carburator. By Chris Samuel in the Ford Truck Enthusiasts tech
article section. Just go to http://www.ford-trucks.com/ and click on
tech articles. Muel gives great insight on how to choose the right
carburetor.

P.S. Carburetor is only misspelled in the title. ;]

Later!

Deacon

deconblu ford-trucks.com
deconblu earthlink.net
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://home.earthlink.net/~deconblu/

----- Original Message -----
<scott ford-trucks.com>
To: <61-79-list ford-trucks.com>; <perf-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 5:27 PM
Subject: [61-79-list] Which Carb?


> I had enough of the Motorcraft/Holley on my 84 F-250 W/460.
>  I pulled the 625 Carter AFB off of my 76 F-250 4x4 W/428 and
> installed it on the 84.The 84 runs great,but now the 76 needs
> a new AFB or Edelbrock carb.
>  I ran the numbers at a carb size site and it stated a 600 is the
> perfect size for a 428.I also looked in my Edelbrock catalog and it
> states the
> 750 comes with a little leaner rod/jet combo than I'm currently
running
> in the 625.
>  I don't think there would be any increase or decrease in the over all
> on or off road performance .I think the only difference would be at
WFO.
>  Is my theory correct? Or am I better off with a 625?
>  BTW the 428 has headers 2 1/2" dual exhaust with H-pipe and 3 camber ....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.