fordtrucks61-79-digest Wednesday, February 18 1998 Volume 02 : Number 098



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961-1979 Trucks Digest
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
fordtrucks61-79-digest-request listservice.net
with the word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. For help, send
email to the same address with the word "help" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Tranny gear ratios [danadeb pacbell.net]
Re: Compression ratios? [sdelanty ]
Re: Compression ratios? [mongo ]
Re: perogie ford [mongo ]
Re: dies at idle [sdelanty ]
Re: compression ratios? [sdelanty ]
live chat ["Art Lutz" ]
Re: dies at idle [Tony Marino ]
Re: perogie ford []

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:56:04 -0800
From: danadeb pacbell.net
Subject: Tranny gear ratios

What are the standard 1st and 2nd gear ratios in a C6 trans?

Also what are the "wide ratio" gear ratios for same?

Thanks

Dana

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:33:32 -0800
From: sdelanty
Subject: Re: Compression ratios?

Gary writes:
>I've calculated this thing till I'm blue in the face and I can't see
>were you guys got 9:1 or 10:1 with a 0.010" deck clearance and 70cc
>combustion chamber and 0.033" gasket and 3.984" stroke???

You don't. You get about 11.9:1

>I have to add a 0.280 deck clearance to get 10:1???

Hmmm. I get 7.27:1 with 0.280" deck clearance...
10:1 is achieved with about .085" deck clearance.

> Pi * r^2 * h is still the volume of a cylinder isn't it?

Yes.

> If you divide the cc's by 61.02 you get cuin right?

No. CC's divided by 16.387 = cuin.
There's 61.02 CuIn in a liter...

>51.32 swept for one cylinder and 1.70 compressed still = 30.168 so
>what am I doing wrong?


Let's do it all in metric, since we know (assume) our cumbustion chamber
volume to be 70cc.

Bore = 4.130" x 2.54 = 10.49cm.
Stroke = 3.984 x 2.54 = 10.119cm.

So, pi x r^2 gives us a bore area of 86.425 square cm.
multiply by stroke of 10.119cm gives a cylinder volume of 874.54cc.

So far so good?

A combustion chamber volume of 70cc + a gasket volume of 8cc = 78cc
total volume.

CR = swept volume + end volume / end volume, so:

874.54 + 78 / 78 = 12.21:1 CR with 0 deck clearance.

If You add a deck clearance of .085" (or 0.216cm), You've added 18.67cc
to the end volume for a total of 96.67cc.
874.54 + 96.67 / 96.67 = 10.04:1 CR

Wasn't that fun? (~:



Steve

"Remember, with lunacy comes responsibility;
we have a duty to make life at least a little more
surreal for those whose lives make too much sense."
-- Trygve Lode

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:56:44 -0600
From: mongo
Subject: Re: Compression ratios?

sdelanty wrote:
>
> Gary writes:
> >I've calculated this thing till I'm blue in the face and I can't see
> >were you guys got 9:1 or 10:1 with a 0.010" deck clearance and 70cc
> >combustion chamber and 0.033" gasket and 3.984" stroke???
>
> You don't. You get about 11.9:1
>
> >I have to add a 0.280 deck clearance to get 10:1???
>
> Hmmm. I get 7.27:1 with 0.280" deck clearance...
> 10:1 is achieved with about .085" deck clearance.
>
> > Pi * r^2 * h is still the volume of a cylinder isn't it?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If you divide the cc's by 61.02 you get cuin right?
>
> No. CC's divided by 16.387 = cuin.
> There's 61.02 CuIn in a liter...
>
> >51.32 swept for one cylinder and 1.70 compressed still = 30.168 so
> >what am I doing wrong?
>
> Let's do it all in metric, since we know (assume) our cumbustion chamber
> volume to be 70cc.
>
> Bore = 4.130" x 2.54 = 10.49cm.
> Stroke = 3.984 x 2.54 = 10.119cm.
>
> So, pi x r^2 gives us a bore area of 86.425 square cm.
> multiply by stroke of 10.119cm gives a cylinder volume of 874.54cc.
>
> So far so good?
>
> A combustion chamber volume of 70cc + a gasket volume of 8cc = 78cc
> total volume.
>
> CR = swept volume + end volume / end volume, so:
>
> 874.54 + 78 / 78 = 12.21:1 CR with 0 deck clearance.
>
> If You add a deck clearance of .085" (or 0.216cm), You've added 18.67cc
> to the end volume for a total of 96.67cc.
> 874.54 + 96.67 / 96.67 = 10.04:1 CR
>
> Wasn't that fun? (~:
>
>
>
> Steve
>
> "Remember, with lunacy comes responsibility;
> we have a duty to make life at least a little more
> surreal for those whose lives make too much sense."
> -- Trygve Lode
>

ok i think you have WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS lol kevin hehhe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:00:42 -0600
From: mongo
Subject: Re: perogie ford

ok so i'm ignorant what the heck is perogie ford? huh huh tell me i
need to know i'm going nuts aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh
uhhhhhhhhhh

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:08:42 -0800
From: sdelanty
Subject: Re: dies at idle

>Howdy!
>
> Good morning everyone. I have another question for the list. I
>have been having a little trouble with my truck (63 F100 w/ 292) in cooler
>weather. It seems to die at idle in the mornings when I am driving to
>campus. For example today it is about 40 degress (F) outside, the truck
>started fine and I warmed it up to about 100 degress and took off. About
>a mile down the road I stopped at a red light and it died, it started
>right back up, but at idle it sounded like it is at really low RPMs. It
>died a couple of more time down the road. By the time I got to school
>it was at an operating temperature of 160 degrees. When I parked it, the
>truck at still a low RPMs at idle but slowly it started to recover power
>and get back to it normal RPMs at idle. The rest of the day it should run
>fine without any problems, for some reason it only dies in cool weather in
>the mornings.
> I have replaced the points and plugs wires, I even put dry gas in
>the gas tank to get rid of any possible water. (the fuel pump is also new)
>Any suggestions?

Jesus,

I had a similar problem with my FE390 this year. On cold moist days, after
deceleration from freeway speed it would die or idle very slowly/roughly.
If it would stay idling for 5 seconds or so, it would suddenly recover
and be normal again. Cold dry days weren't a problem, but cool moist days
it would almost always do it. It would do it even when the motor was fully
warmed up.
After much fiddling with choke, fast idle cam and idle mix adjustments,
I finally traced the problem to carb icing.
When the throttle plate is nearly closed and vacuum is high, the pressure
drop causes a considerable temperature drop and causes moist air to freeze
on the edge of the throttle plate. This reduces idle airflow and also badly
screws up the idle mixture...
Once the truck is stopped and idling for a few seconds, the ice melts off
and things return to normal.

The cure for me was to put the stock air cleaner assy back on and hook up
the "hot air stove" that brings some warm air from the exhaust manifold to
the air cleaner.

If You think the choke and fast idle cam adjustments are O.K, You might
consider this as a possible problem.

Does Your air cleaner have any provisions for the hot air stove?
If so is it hooked up?

Happy motoring,

Steve

"Remember, with lunacy comes responsibility;
we have a duty to make life at least a little more
surreal for those whose lives make too much sense."
-- Trygve Lode

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:20:48 -0800
From: sdelanty
Subject: Re: compression ratios?

Ooops, after I sent all that math I realized that I did the
numbers for a 428 (4.130 x 3.984) when the question was for a
410 (4.050 x 3.984). Sigh.

Sorry!

Oh well, the math should be correct, crunch the numbers Yourself
and see what You get...

Happy motoring,

Steve

"Remember, with lunacy comes responsibility;
we have a duty to make life at least a little more
surreal for those whose lives make too much sense."
-- Trygve Lode

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:33:51 -0800
From: "Art Lutz"
Subject: live chat

I used the live chat for the first time last night, I am hooked. Great
Idea Ken. I think we will have a few new members after I told them how
much knowledge was on this list. Sorry about the lack of ford content just
wanted to thank Ken. Art Lutz

78 F-250XLT 4X4 400CID

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 01:00:33 -0500
From: Tony Marino
Subject: Re: dies at idle

Steve, You're a miracle Man!

I've been sitting back watching this message run it's course on this
problem
and laughing heartily. Same problem I've had for the past year and a
half
with my '78 (300 I-6) I even put in a brand new motor in and still had
these
cold/wet weather blues coming off the expressway to campus and having my
truck
die on me. I'd hold the idle up for about 10-20 seconds, let it back
down,
and it would idle fine. I tried fiddleing with everything.
Didn't occur to me that I put a 4bbl open aircleaner on my truck and
that's when
the problem started. Sometimes the obvious dumbfounds you. I put the
stock cleaner
on it when I read this and with the rain and Ohio weather we've had
today, it didn't
happen. Just wanted to say thanks. I think you got my problem, lets
hope it works
for him.

Tony
(I should list my parts instead of
trucks under my name, It would be
more impressive! 8-)


sdelanty wrote:
>
> >Howdy!
> >
> > Good morning everyone. I have another question for the list. I
> >have been having a little trouble with my truck (63 F100 w/ 292) in cooler
> >weather. It seems to die at idle in the mornings when I am driving to
> >campus. For example today it is about 40 degress (F) outside, the truck
> >started fine and I warmed it up to about 100 degress and took off. About

> Jesus,
>
> I had a similar problem with my FE390 this year. On cold moist days, after
> deceleration from freeway speed it would die or idle very slowly/roughly.
> If it would stay idling for 5 seconds or so, it would suddenly recover
> and be normal again. Cold dry days weren't a problem, but cool moist days
> it would almost always do it. It would do it even when the motor was fully
> warmed up.
> After much fiddling with choke, fast idle cam and idle mix adjustments,
> I finally traced the problem to carb icing.
> When the throttle plate is nearly closed and vacuum is high, the pressure
> drop causes a considerable temperature drop and causes moist air to freeze
> on the edge of the throttle plate. This reduces idle airflow and also badly
> screws up the idle mixture...
> Once the truck is stopped and idling for a few seconds, the ice melts off
> and things return to normal.
>
> The cure for me was to put the stock air cleaner assy back on and hook up
> the "hot air stove" that brings some warm air from the exhaust manifold to
> the air cleaner.
>
> If You think the choke and fast idle cam adjustments are O.K, You might
> consider this as a possible problem.
>
> Does Your air cleaner have any provisions for the hot air stove?
> If so is it hooked up?
>
> Happy motoring,
>
> Steve
>
> "Remember, with lunacy comes responsibility;
> we have a duty to make life at least a little more
> surreal for those whose lives make too much sense."
> -- Trygve Lode
>
> +-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961 thru 1979 --------------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks61-79 listservice.net, |
> | List removal information is on the web site. |
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 23:56:39 -0800
From:....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.