Return-Path:
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 03:50:21 -0700 (MST)
From: owner-fordtrucks61-79-digest ListService.net (fordtrucks61-79-digest)
To: fordtrucks61-79-digest ListService.net
Subject: fordtrucks61-79-digest V1 #318
Reply-To: fordtrucks61-79 ListService.net
Sender: owner-fordtrucks61-79-digest ListService.net


fordtrucks61-79-digest Wednesday, October 29 1997 Volume 01 : Number 318



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961-1979 Trucks Digest
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
fordtrucks61-79-digest-request listservice.net
with the word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. For help, send
email to the same address with the word "help" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

RE: what do you think? [pharrell bae.uga.edu (Graphics & Research Fabrica]
Re:heater [Tom Hogan ]
[none] ["Kevin Fowler" ]
Re: Re:heater ["Larry Coffman" ]
Confused?!?! [Jesus Cardoso ]
RE: 351C heads [Sleddog ]
RE: 351C heads [William Sabers ]
What did I just buy? ["deconblu" ]
Re: Confused?!?! ["George Shepherd" ]
Re: What did I just buy? ["George Shepherd" ]
Re: What did I just buy? [marko ]
OE wiring connections [Adam Clever ]
RE: 351C heads [Sleddog ]
CruseOMatic vs. C series [abbott ]

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 97 09:36:20 EST
From: pharrell bae.uga.edu (Graphics & Research Fabrication)
Subject: RE: what do you think?

A nice looking job on your truck. I know it's a lot of work. Good luck on
using the 750cfm. That's a lot of carb for a 302, even a roller. I had to
really modify a 600cfm to get it to work on mine. Are you running other
than stock camshaft? I wouldn't go below 3:50 gearing or you won't get
any lowend performance on the street. Setting up the rear carrier isn't
really hard if you really pay attention to reading the grease on the teeth.
Just get a good manual, a dial indicator, and some shims, and take your
time.

Pat
pharrell bae.uga.edu

- --- Begin Included Message ---

I am putting the finishing touches on the motor installation in my 63 F100.
I have the 302 in place, and was wanting some opinions. It is a 302 with an
edelbrock performer,750cfm holley 4 barrel. Wht rear end ratio do you think
i should use? Also, if my axle splines are 28, is it as simple to switch to
31 as just slipping it in or can that be done? View my webpage at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.aol.com/clssicford/index.com and tell me what you think.

- ----------end included message---------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:33:04 -0800
From: Tom Hogan
Subject: Re:heater

Art,
I think it's pretty safe to say that you are right in thinking you have
a leak in the heater core. The smell in the interior and the drip of
antifreeze on the A/C drain tube confirm it. I agree with what others
say about the stop leak. Only in emergencies and for a short time. If
your radiator is in good shape I would really try to replace the heater
core. I don't think they are very expensive. If your radiator is in
good shape and you use the stopleak for the heater core then when you do
fix the heater core I would REALLY recommend having the radiator rodded
out to remove all of the stopleak that will be plugging up the tubes in
the radiator to prevent overheating problems later.

I forget, what year truck is this? If it is a 73 to 79 and you need a
procedure to replace the core let me know. I have replaced the blower
fan in mine (it was rusted and would occasionally 'scream' when I turned
it on). You can service the heater core without disabling the A/C
(venting the charge -- oops that wouldn't be environmentally friendly
would it?) but having the factory procedure makes it much easier. Not
really difficult but not intuitively obvious either. You have to go
into the heater box from inside the cab -- NOT from the engine
compartment. There should be a lable on the fan box in the engine
compartment saying something to this effect. If it's cold where you are
right now I would recommend finding a heated garage to do this work. It
did take me all day to finish the job.

Good Luck,

Tom H
San Francisco, California
76 F-150 SuperCab 390FE
96 Windstar 200 hp 3.8L (Wife's Hot Rod)


Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 12:12:11 -0800
From: "art l"
Subject: Re:heater

I got a chance this weekend to look at the drain for the a/c, it was in
the
wheel well above the passenger tire. There was a dip of anti-freeze on
it,
but nothing else came out when I blew air into it. I don't think this
was
the problem, it is anti-freeze that is causing the problems. It has to
be a
small weep in the heater core, or something in the heat exchange box is
leaking. I guess the only way to find out is to start pulling
everything
out and look for tell-tail signs. I was also thinking about using some
radiator stop leak, then if the heater stops steaming It would be a good
indicator that it was the core. I'm just not sure if the stop leaks
work
for the heater cores, has anybody tried it. I don't Know why it wouldn't
work, the heater core is just a small radiator. Thanks for your help
Art

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:47:52 -0600
From: "Kevin Fowler"
Subject: [none]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0000_01BCE39F.B4A8D540
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Does anyone have any 351C V4 heads you wish to

part with I know he he V2 heads produce low end

power, but, I'm looking for some upper end punch.

Please e-mail me.

kfowler laribay.net



- ------=_NextPart_000_0000_01BCE39F.B4A8D540
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable






http-equiv=3DContent-Type>



 Does anyone have =
any 351C V4=20
heads you wish topart with I know he he V2 heads produce low=20
endpower, but, I'm looking for some upper end =
punch.Please=20
e-mail me.
href=3D"mailto:kfowler laribay.net">kfowler laribay.net
>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0000_01BCE39F.B4A8D540--

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:07:21 -0500
From: "Larry Coffman"
Subject: Re: Re:heater

I had a leaky heater core in a 65 mustang and stop leak fixed it for a
while, but every time the engine got some high rpm`s going, it would blow
again. sure did stink! plan on a new core, stopleak was only temporary.
Larry

- ----------
> From: art l
> To: fordtrucks61-79 ListService.net
> Subject: Re:heater
> Date: Monday, October 27, 1997 3:12 PM
>
>
> I got a chance this weekend to look at the drain for the a/c, it was in
the
> wheel well above the passenger tire. There was a dip of anti-freeze on
it,
> but nothing else came out when I blew air into it. I don't think this
was
> the problem, it is anti-freeze that is causing the problems. It has to
be a
> small weep in the heater core, or something in the heat exchange box is
> leaking. I guess the only way to find out is to start pulling everything
> out and look for tell-tail signs. I was also thinking about using some
> radiator stop leak, then if the heater stops steaming It would be a good
> indicator that it was the core. I'm just not sure if the stop leaks work
> for the heater cores, has anybody tried it. I don't Know why it wouldn't
> work, the heater core is just a small radiator. Thanks for your help
> Art
>
> >Remember he said it smelled I.E. radiator fluid. I have had to replace
> >heater cores in an 89 mustang, 63 econoline, and 56 F100 all didn't
have>
> >A/C and all had the same symptoms as were described and all had pinhole
> >weeps. I have had an A/C unit plug up and yes water goes everywhere but
> >it doesn't steam or smell (except that the carpet tends to gets musty.
> >That's a chevy for you)
> >Dana
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 11:05:42 -0500
> >From: "George Shepherd"
> >Subject: Re: heater
> >Sounds like you have water getting in the plenum, but no heater core
leak.
> >If you have a/c and the drain is plugged water can build up. If no a/c
the
> >plenum is getting water from the outside.
>
>
> +-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961 thru 1979 --------------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks61-79 listservice.net, |
> | Send Unsubscribe requests to fordtrucks61-79-request listservice.net|
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:24:11 -0600 (CST)
From: Jesus Cardoso
Subject: Confused?!?!

Hey Gang,

I need some opinions of what to do with my truck ('63 F100). My
engine (292 Y-block) is dying and I have looked into rebuilding which will
run me about ~$2000 (way to much for my taste!). I really love my truck
and I don't want to sell. It is mainly all original with little to no
customizing on it.
Another thing that I have considered is putting in another engine
(302 more than likely) and maybe switching out the transmission (I am not
sure which engines will bolt up to my T87).
My dilema lies on whether to leave the truck original (which might
get kind of expensive) or to switch out the engine and tranny and have it
not so original. Will switching out the engine/tranny make the truck less
valuable in case one day I turn crazy and decide to sell it?

Opinions?

Thanks.

:::::::"Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open.":::::::

Jesus Cardoso, a.k.a. Chuy
Graduate Research Assistant (Power System Automation Lab)
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-3128
w: 409-845-4623, h: 409-775-0737, fax: 845-6259
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 2214, College Station, TX 77841-2214
e-mail: cardoso ee.tamu.edu
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://ee.tamu.edu/~cardoso

::::::::::::::"Todos en el mundo sonreimos en la misma lengua."::::::::::::::

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:39:46 -0500
From: Sleddog
Subject: RE: 351C heads

a couple of monthes ago i know a guy who had them, still does i don't know.
he wanted $650 (if my memory serves me right) for them complete and
refurbished. i know it is a bit high, but in my area they are hard to
find. imho, even the 4v heads produce low end and are not the bad choice
for a street motor that so many people say, many of which never had one.

let me know if you are interested and i can give you the phone number. i
am in eastern PA.

sleddog

- ----------
From: Kevin Fowler[SMTP:kfowler laribay.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 1997 1:47 PM
To: Ford Trucks


Does anyone have any 351C V4 heads you wish to

part with I know he he V2 heads produce low end

power, but, I'm looking for some upper end punch.

Please e-mail me.

kfowler laribay.net

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:52:50 -0600 (CST)
From: William Sabers
Subject: RE: 351C heads

> a couple of monthes ago i know a guy who had them, still does i don't know.
> he wanted $650 (if my memory serves me right) for them complete and
> refurbished.

That is an excellent price.... grab them if you want them.....
I have a 351 Boss that is "done" if you are willing to part with the
$$$$...
P.S. I would be interested in some Cleveland 2v heads if anyone has them
(cheap) Wsabers sundance.usd.edu

> i know it is a bit high, but in my area they are hard to
> find. imho, even the 4v heads produce low end and are not the bad choice
> for a street motor that so many people say, many of which never had one.
>
> let me know if you are interested and i can give you the phone number. i
> am in eastern PA.
>
> sleddog
>
> ----------
> From: Kevin Fowler[SMTP:kfowler laribay.net]
> Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 1997 1:47 PM
> To: Ford Trucks
>
>
> Does anyone have any 351C V4 heads you wish to
>
> part with I know he he V2 heads produce low end
>
> power, but, I'm looking for some upper end punch.
>
> Please e-mail me.
>
> kfowler laribay.net
>
>
>
>
>
> +-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961 thru 1979 --------------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks61-79 listservice.net, |
> | Send Unsubscribe requests to fordtrucks61-79-request listservice.net|
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+
>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 13:37:13 -0800
From: "deconblu"
Subject: What did I just buy?

Hi Gang!
Well there I was calling around for bushings to install the springs Marv
gave and no one carried them. I pick up my two week old Truck Trader and
there was a 1976 3/4 Ton utility bed truck for $1200. So I call knowing damn
well it was sold. I had called a week ago on a '72 F250 and a '73 F250 for
the same price and neither of them ran, both sold the day of the ad. Well it
was still there. It was at a diesel repair shop. First look was cool, no
dents and all the doors worked (utility bed) so popped the hood and there
was a 360 FE C6. OK, I remember what Ken said "Mileage of a 390 with less
power" but that's still OK. It needs some head work at the very least valve
seals and gaskets (I hate oil leaks! Motor must look good) runs rough but it
shifts smooth no slippage or noise that I noticed. So I go look under the
bed to see the leaf springs and Holy Mary Mother of God there's two sets of
leaf springs on each side. I look at the ID tag on the drivers door and it
says it's a F372 1976 and the VIN # F37YR. So gang what is an F372? I gave
him a down of $100 and told him I'll be back tomorrow. I didn't tell him I
needed to check with you guys. It felt a little juvenile! :) TIA!
Later!

Deacon Blues deconblu gte.net
================================================
Visit The Deacon Blues Homepage
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://home1.gte.net/deconblu/
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.dragonfire.net/~site/tbirdknights/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:39:25 -0600
From: "George Shepherd"
Subject: Re: Confused?!?!

That's a tough one. Look around you area and see which brings more now. I
am always in favor of originality, so I am biased. Sometimes it is better
to go with an up date. I also figure that by the time you put rebuilt or
new stuff in that is modern you will have spent more than $2000.

Ask around at some of the shops and find out what it will cost to do a
turnkey job on putting a rebuilt 302 in your truck. You may need new
radiator, power steering pump, a/c compressor, alternator, etc.


- ----------
> From: Jesus Cardoso
> To: fordtrucks61-79 ListService.net
> Subject: Confused?!?!
> Date: Tuesday, October 28, 1997 2:24 PM
>
> Hey Gang,
>
> I need some opinions of what to do with my truck ('63 F100). My
> engine (292 Y-block) is dying and I have looked into rebuilding which
will
> run me about ~$2000 (way to much for my taste!). I really love my truck
> and I don't want to sell. It is mainly all original with little to no
> customizing on it.
> Another thing that I have considered is putting in another engine
> (302 more than likely) and maybe switching out the transmission (I am not
> sure which engines will bolt up to my T87).
> My dilema lies on whether to leave the truck original (which might
> get kind of expensive) or to switch out the engine and tranny and have it
> not so original. Will switching out the engine/tranny make the truck
less
> valuable in case one day I turn crazy and decide to sell it?
>
> Opinions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> :::::::"Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are
open.":::::::
>
> Jesus Cardoso, a.k.a. Chuy
> Graduate Research Assistant (Power System Automation Lab)
> Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University
> College Station, TX 77843-3128
> w: 409-845-4623, h: 409-775-0737, fax: 845-6259
> Mailing Address: P.O. Box 2214, College Station, TX 77841-2214
> e-mail: cardoso ee.tamu.edu
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://ee.tamu.edu/~cardoso
>
> ::::::::::::::"Todos en el mundo sonreimos en la misma
lengua."::::::::::::::
>
> +-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961 thru 1979 --------------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks61-79 listservice.net, |
> | Send Unsubscribe requests to fordtrucks61-79-request listservice.net|
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:51:56 -0600
From: "George Shepherd"
Subject: Re: What did I just buy?

The red book stops at F-359, so I am not sure what you bought. I am going
to guess its a 1 ton truck chassie derated to F-350.

- ----------
> From: deconblu
> To: fordtrucks
> Subject: What did I just buy?
> Date: Tuesday, October 28, 1997 3:37 PM
>
> Hi Gang!
> Well there I was calling around for bushings to install the springs
Marv
> gave and no one carried them. I pick up my two week old Truck Trader and
> there was a 1976 3/4 Ton utility bed truck for $1200. So I call knowing
damn
> well it was sold. I had called a week ago on a '72 F250 and a '73 F250
for
> the same price and neither of them ran, both sold the day of the ad. Well
it
> was still there. It was at a diesel repair shop. First look was cool, no
> dents and all the doors worked (utility bed) so popped the hood and there
> was a 360 FE C6. OK, I remember what Ken said "Mileage of a 390 with less
> power" but that's still OK. It needs some head work at the very least
valve
> seals and gaskets (I hate oil leaks! Motor must look good) runs rough but
it
> shifts smooth no slippage or noise that I noticed. So I go look under the
> bed to see the leaf springs and Holy Mary Mother of God there's two sets
of
> leaf springs on each side. I look at the ID tag on the drivers door and
it
> says it's a F372 1976 and the VIN # F37YR. So gang what is an F372? I
gave
> him a down of $100 and told him I'll be back tomorrow. I didn't tell him
I
> needed to check with you guys. It felt a little juvenile! :) TIA!
> Later!
>
> Deacon Blues deconblu gte.net
> ================================================
> Visit The Deacon Blues Homepage
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://home1.gte.net/deconblu/
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.dragonfire.net/~site/tbirdknights/
>
>
> +-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961 thru 1979 --------------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks61-79 listservice.net, |
> | Send Unsubscribe requests to fordtrucks61-79-request listservice.net|
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:54:34 -0800
From: marko
Subject: Re: What did I just buy?

At 01:37 PM 10/28/97 -0800, you wrote:
> Hi Gang!
> Well there I was calling around for bushings to install the springs Marv
>gave and no one carried them. I pick up my two week old Truck Trader and
>there was a 1976 3/4 Ton utility bed truck for $1200. So I call knowing damn
>well it was sold. I had called a week ago on a '72 F250 and a '73 F250 for
>the same price and neither of them ran, both sold the day of the ad. Well it
>was still there. It was at a diesel repair shop. First look was cool, no
>dents and all the doors worked (utility bed) so popped the hood and there
>was a 360 FE C6. OK, I remember what Ken said "Mileage of a 390 with less
>power" but that's still OK. It needs some head work at the very least valve
>seals and gaskets (I hate oil leaks! Motor must look good) runs rough but it
>shifts smooth no slippage or noise that I noticed. So I go look under the
>bed to see the leaf springs and Holy Mary Mother of God there's two sets of
>leaf springs on each side. I look at the ID tag on the drivers door and it
>says it's a F372 1976 and the VIN # F37YR. So gang what is an F372? I gave
>him a down of $100 and told him I'll be back tomorrow. I didn't tell him I
>needed to check with you guys. It felt a little juvenile! :) TIA!
>Later!

OK, what springs? You wanna put stronger springs on your truck? If they
are of the leaf variety, then you shud just be able to go to a spring place
(preferably a heavy truck spring place) and just get the bushings, they are
just bronze pipe after all. Any old "Bob's Alignment and Spring" place
should have something, they don't buy retail. And bushings from those days
are pretty damn straightforward. Also, call Ford and look at the awful
microfiche. Actually, if you can't locate the part number I have to go to
Ford anyway and I know that he has the fiche. He lets me look at the
projector and find numbers myself so just lemme know what it is you need.

For real advice you'll have to tell us more than "motor runs rough". A 360
can be a neck-snapper if it's set up right. How many miles? Motor ever
been built? Water in the oil? Overheating? Obvious clunks or rattles?

Keep us posted.

marko in vancouver
marko helix.net
71 f250 4x4

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 97 16:01:00 -0800
From: Adam Clever
Subject: OE wiring connections

Has anyone had luck finding bare wire (not pigtailed) connectors for
'simple' connections such as radio power, headlights, starter relay/coil 90
deg. push-on ... (not really interested in 'complicated' ignition and
dashboard types.

My personal interest is in the '79 Bronco or similar category.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 18:29:54 -0500
From: Sleddog
Subject: RE: 351C heads

- ----------
From: William Sabers[SMTP:wsabers sunflowr.usd.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 1997 9:52 AM
To: 'fordtrucks61-79 ListService.net'
Subject: RE: 351C heads


> a couple of monthes ago i know a guy who had them, still does i don't know.
> he wanted $650 (if my memory serves me right) for them complete and
> refurbished.

That is an excellent price.... grab them if you want them.....
I have a 351 Boss that is "done" if you are willing to part with the
$$$$...
P.S. I would be interested in some Cleveland 2v heads if anyone has them
(cheap) Wsabers sundance.usd.edu

That was for the open chamber if i remember correctly - the higher compression heads where about $100 more i think.

sleddog

> i know it is a bit high, but in my area they are hard to
> find. imho, even the 4v heads produce low end and are not the bad choice
> for a street motor that so many people say, many of which never had one.
>
> let me know if you are interested and i can give you the phone number. i
> am in eastern PA.
>
> sleddog
>
> ----------
> From: Kevin Fowler[SMTP:kfowler laribay.net]
> Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 1997 1:47 PM
> To: Ford Trucks
>
>
> Does anyone have any 351C V4 heads you wish to
>
> part with I know he he V2 heads produce low end
>
> power, but, I'm looking for some upper end punch.
>
> Please e-mail me.
>
> kfowler laribay.net
>
>
>
>
>
> +-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961 thru 1979 --------------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks61-79 listservice.net, |
> | Send Unsubscribe requests to fordtrucks61-79-request listservice.net|
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.