Return-Path:
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 03:50:31 -0700 (MST)
From: owner-fordtrucks61-79-digest ListService.net (fordtrucks61-79-digest)
To: fordtrucks61-79-digest ListService.net
Subject: fordtrucks61-79-digest V1 #368
Reply-To: fordtrucks61-79 ListService.net
Sender: owner-fordtrucks61-79-digest ListService.net


fordtrucks61-79-digest Thursday, November 27 1997 Volume 01 : Number 368



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961-1979 Trucks Digest
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
fordtrucks61-79-digest-request listservice.net
with the word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. For help, send
email to the same address with the word "help" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Drain torque conv on C6 [am14 chrysler.com]
Shift kits [am14 chrysler.com]
Re: Shift kits [John MacNamara ]
Will V8 fit easily [al_giordano_at_aapi__wilm ccmail.wilm.aapi.com]
Re: Shift kits [Paul ]
Re: Will V8 fit easily ["Gary, 78 BBB" ]
68 Disc brakes? ["kingw" ]
Re: What am I going to do????!! ["Gary, 78 BBB" ]
VIN Decoder & WTB [BFoster02 aol.com]
Re: VIN Decoder & WTB [John MacNamara ]
Re: VIN Decoder & WTB [danadeb pacbell.net]
Re: 68 Disc brakes? [Ken Payne ]
C6 tranny solved [Ken Payne ]
Re: 4 bbl on a 302? [DBrents105 aol.com]
need 302 or 351w advice !!! [Thierry Delattre ]
Re: Funny named 4sp OD [Steve & Rockette ]
aod tv cable or rod [garchap webtv.net (Gary Chapman)]

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:02:12 -0500
From: am14 chrysler.com
Subject: Drain torque conv on C6

Keith:
>>When changing Transmission Fluid and Filter in a C6, is there anyway
to
change the fluid in the Torque Converter with out taking the
Transmission
out of the truck?

In the front side of the tc there is a drain plug. It is located next
to one of the four mounting studs where it connects to the flywheel and
the flywheel has a small hole for access. Piece of cake.

Azie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:10:56 -0500
From: am14 chrysler.com
Subject: Shift kits

John:

>> But since I have two C6's with shift
kits and a mustang with a shift kit and had no problem,

What brand kits do you use, and where do you normally get them. (mail
order or local parts house). Do they come with good directions? Would
I have a problem installing one? I o'haul engines and transmissions
fairly regularly, as well as do frame-off restorations on vehicles of
choice, but have only done one shiftkit inatall and it still isn't in
the vehicle yet. (A MOPAR). I had some drilling in the valve body and
seperator plate and changed out some springs in that one. Am anxious to
get it in the truck and see how it does, but time is scarce.

Thanks

Azie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 06:02:24 -0800
From: John MacNamara
Subject: Re: Shift kits

am14 chrysler.com wrote:

> John:
>
> >> But since I have two C6's with shift
> kits and a mustang with a shift kit and had no problem,
>
> What brand kits do you use, and where do you normally get them. (mail
> order or local parts house). Do they come with good directions? Would
> I have a problem installing one? I o'haul engines and transmissions
> fairly regularly, as well as do frame-off restorations on vehicles of
> choice, but have only done one shiftkit inatall and it still isn't in
> the vehicle yet. (A MOPAR). I had some drilling in the valve body and
> seperator plate and changed out some springs in that one. Am anxious to
> get it in the truck and see how it does, but time is scarce.

Azie: I must confess that I don't do my own transmissions. I have a
gentleman in the San Fernando valley who rebuilds my c6's (3 now) and I
always have him install a shift kit if it needs one. If you would like, I
could call him and ask.

>
>
> Thanks
>
> Azie
> +-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961 thru 1979 --------------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks61-79 listservice.net, |
> | Send Unsubscribe requests to fordtrucks61-79-request listservice.net|
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 97 09:39:42 -0500
From: al_giordano_at_aapi__wilm ccmail.wilm.aapi.com
Subject: Will V8 fit easily

Anyone know if major mods have to be done to put a 302 or 351 in my
77 F250 4x4 4spd. My 300 is getting tired and I have the 302 4bbl.
ready to go. The 351W is still apart,not sure when i'll get to that.
I've had this truck since brand new, original owner and it's plowed
snow all it's life. I think the brackets to the frame are too tall and
will need to be changed, i'm not sure. The tranny bell housing looks
like it will fit the small block. Am I missing anything??
Thanks in advance for any help. By the way I just subscribed and I
think is a great place for us FORD truck nuts.

al




------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 06:47:23
From: Paul
Subject: Re: Shift kits

Helped a friend install a shift kit into a gener*l m**ors turbo 350 once.
I don't remember the brand and it easy to install, just follow the
directions to the letter. Lots a springs and balls to watch out for. We
drilled a particular hole a touch oversize by accident...the tranny tried
to twist the rear end out of the car on each shift. Lasted two years that
way but eventually tore itself apart in a big way. BTW all my automatics
have had shift kits in' em and all have lived long.
At 08:10 AM 11/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>John:
>
>>> But since I have two C6's with shift
>kits and a mustang with a shift kit and had no problem,
>
>What brand kits do you use, and where do you normally get them. (mail
>order or local parts house). Do they come with good directions? Would
>I have a problem installing one? I o'haul engines and transmissions
>fairly regularly, as well as do frame-off restorations on vehicles of
>choice, but have only done one shiftkit inatall and it still isn't in
>the vehicle yet. (A MOPAR). I had some drilling in the valve body and
>seperator plate and changed out some springs in that one. Am anxious to
>get it in the truck and see how it does, but time is scarce.
>
>Thanks
>
>Azie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:45:59 +0000
From: "Gary, 78 BBB"
Subject: Re: Will V8 fit easily

> From: al_giordano_at_aapi__wilm ccmail.wilm.aapi.com
> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 97 09:39:42 -0500
> Subject: Will V8 fit easily

> owner and it's plowed snow all it's life. I think the brackets
> to the frame are too tall and will need to be changed, i'm not
> sure. The tranny bell housing looks like it will fit the small
> block. Am I missing anything??

Block length is different and may require moving the tranny forward
which would necessitate a longer drive shaft or the radiator back or
simply adding a longer spacer for the fan, not sure. Mounts are
different but I believe the tranny flange is the same.

I know where compressors get their air, it gets
sucked out of the NEIGHBOR'S electric lines :-)

- -- Gary --

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:50:31 -0600
From: "kingw"
Subject: 68 Disc brakes?

I have a 1968 F100 2wd with drum front brakes.
I saw someone mention that discs from a 1973+ should work, but
I was wondering what this really entails.
1. Do I need to swap in the 1973+ I-beams?
2. If I don't have to swap the I-beams, can I just slap the rotors onto my
current spindles and drive off (after attaching calipers, of course).
3. I will need to change my master cylinder, but are there any valves
hiding in the brake lines that need changing too (I recall somekind of
valve which balances the hydraulic pressure from front to rear. Do I
need to change this too?)?

I hope someone can help.
Thanks

Bill

1968 F100 2wd. 360 2v Toploader 4 speed.
1968 Torino GT. 429 4v Toploader 4 speed.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:30:00 +0000
From: "Gary, 78 BBB"
Subject: Re: What am I going to do????!!

> From: "MICHAEL FRISCH"
> Subject: What am I going to do????!!
> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:23:55 PST

> I like the L6 for the torque (going over the Grapevine is a breeze)
>
> But would like something a little bit better on gas.
> Since this is the last year for it to be smoged, and Im not worried
> about that, I was thinking of a little bit more HP. (A 460? *g*)

I6's in trucks don't do a whole lot better than a properly set up 460
that I've seen but a properly tuned I6 can certainly be more
economical in every respect than a 460 or any V8 for that matter by
some margin at least. In your case the 460 would require some major
replacements like tranny, drive shafts, xfer case adapters, perhaps
even the frame engine mount brackets. To make it run economically
you will need a spread bore carb and intake, wide ratio tranny etc..

> I can fix it if Im told whats wrong, but to figure out what makes it
> run so bad, now thats another story.

Unless the power is real important to you, fixing the I6 would be a
good way to go. Even if you have to get a long block and bolt it in
is would be economical. Once that's done then address the ignition
and fuel system problems if any. If you buy a used 460 and tranny
you will be dealing with these problems anyway :-)


I know where compressors get their air, it gets
sucked out of the NEIGHBOR'S electric lines :-)

- -- Gary --

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:38:24 -0500 (EST)
From: BFoster02 aol.com
Subject: VIN Decoder & WTB

I kept seeing posts on a VIN decoder, but I never rec'd the digest with the
URL. Can someone send me a private e-mail with the URL so I can check it out?

The C-6 discussion was truly enlightening. I have been a silent lurker for
the last 4 weeks having just purchased a really clean '76 F250 Explorer 2x4
and have been taking inventory of tasks to be done. One of the problems was a
transmission slipping until warm (seems a full service cured it for now). The
trans. turned out to be a C6.

I am still trying to learn the trick to figuring out the motor. The owner
said it was a 351, but with the separate water pump as an indication, I am
beginning to think it is a 360 or 390. More identification clues would be
entertaining. I am still trying to find a set of repair manuals.

Two last WTB's: a tailgate and an original AM/FM radio. The original owner
used the truck for hauling hay on a ranch inside a shell without the
tailgate. The truck is two tone tan/brown and it is the Explorer package with
all the chrome. A local, good-to-excellent tailgate with the trim would be
nice to locate -- one with a matching color scheme would be worth its weight
in gold. The local wrecking yards have not turned up a decent enough example
yet.

As for the radio... the second owner cut the metal bracket and dash surround
to put a modern DIN radio in. I've acquired a new dash surround and metal
bracket, but I have been unsuccessful in locating an original radio.

Cheers to all and TIA for the assistance,
Brian
Irvine, CA
BFoster02 aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:06:39 -0800
From: John MacNamara
Subject: Re: VIN Decoder & WTB

BFoster02 aol.com wrote:

> I kept seeing posts on a VIN decoder, but I never rec'd the digest with the
> URL. Can someone send me a private e-mail with the URL so I can check it out?
>
> The C-6 discussion was truly enlightening. I have been a silent lurker for
> the last 4 weeks having just purchased a really clean '76 F250 Explorer 2x4
> and have been taking inventory of tasks to be done. One of the problems was a
> transmission slipping until warm (seems a full service cured it for now). The
> trans. turned out to be a C6.
>
> I am still trying to learn the trick to figuring out the motor. The owner
> said it was a 351, but with the separate water pump as an indication, I am
> beginning to think it is a 360 or 390. More identification clues would be
> entertaining. I am still trying to find a set of repair manuals.
>
> Two last WTB's: a tailgate and an original AM/FM radio. The original owner
> used the truck for hauling hay on a ranch inside a shell without the
> tailgate. The truck is two tone tan/brown and it is the Explorer package with
> all the chrome. A local, good-to-excellent tailgate with the trim would be
> nice to locate -- one with a matching color scheme would be worth its weight
> in gold.

I might have a tailgate for you, I believe the one on my truck is tan and brown
and I know where I can get a new one. I paid $225 for it and it is the XLT one.

If your interested email me at JohnMcn micom.com

> The local wrecking yards have not turned up a decent enough example
> yet.
>
> As for the radio... the second owner cut the metal bracket and dash surround
> to put a modern DIN radio in. I've acquired a new dash surround and metal
> bracket, but I have been unsuccessful in locating an original radio.
>
> Cheers to all and TIA for the assistance,
> Brian
> Irvine, CA
> BFoster02 aol.com
>
> +-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961 thru 1979 --------------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks61-79 listservice.net, |
> | Send Unsubscribe requests to fordtrucks61-79-request listservice.net|
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:09:56 -0800
From: danadeb pacbell.net
Subject: Re: VIN Decoder & WTB

BFoster02 aol.com wrote:

> all the chrome. A local, good-to-excellent tailgate with the trim would be
> nice to locate -- one with a matching color scheme would be worth its weight
> in gold. The local wrecking yards have not turned up a decent enough example
> yet.
>
> As for the radio... the second owner cut the metal bracket and dash surround
> to put a modern DIN radio in. I've acquired a new dash surround and metal
> bracket, but I have been unsuccessful in locating an original radio.
>

Brian,

Have you tried:

Roccos Truck wrecking on 5th St. in Santa Ana

Ford Truck wrecking ( or something like that ) on Poinsettia in Santa Ana

Also Pick Your Part off the 91 fwy between Tustin and Glassel

Placentia Truck Wrecking in Placentia near Tustin and La Palma

All Ford in Placentia near Tustin and La Palma

All are great sources in the order listed!

Dana

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:31:32 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: Re: 68 Disc brakes?

At 10:50 AM 11/26/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I have a 1968 F100 2wd with drum front brakes.
>I saw someone mention that discs from a 1973+ should work, but
>I was wondering what this really entails.

Swapping the spindles out.

>1. Do I need to swap in the 1973+ I-beams?

No. Just the spindles.

>2. If I don't have to swap the I-beams, can I just slap the rotors onto my
>current spindles and drive off (after attaching calipers, of course).

No. The current spindles are held in place with king-pins and are
drum only. You must get spindles from a 73-79 truck.

>3. I will need to change my master cylinder, but are there any valves
>hiding in the brake lines that need changing too (I recall somekind of
>valve which balances the hydraulic pressure from front to rear. Do I
>need to change this too?)?

Yes, otherwise your brakes will drag to the point of smoke.

>
>I hope someone can help.
>Thanks
>
>Bill
>

You'll also need a major front end alignment after the swap. Its
about 1-2 days worth of work, 3 if you take your time. If you want
details, let me know.

Ken

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:36:35 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: C6 tranny solved

Many have asked privately how the tranny problems were
coming along...

Well, with the long hours I'm working I finally took it
to a shop I trust. The clutches were shot and one of the
cooling lines had a kink in it (causing heat problems).
My milage has, according to my calculations, gone from 8 mpg
to 12 mpg.

Ken

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:50:48 -0500 (EST)
From: DBrents105 aol.com
Subject: Re: 4 bbl on a 302?

I don't understand the head swap. I believe that 65 289 2bbl and 4 bbl heads
are identical.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 21:59:47 -0500
From: Thierry Delattre
Subject: need 302 or 351w advice !!!

Hi, i'm in a debate,

In my 1979 F100, i have a 302 wich needs heads restoration (grinding &
gaskets etc...) and all the gaskets are leaking and i need to change the
front and rear oil seal and throw in new rings...
But i can have a 351W ( wich is sitting in a barn since the last 4 or 5
years) for free... The owner gives it to me if i buy the body parts
he has: 2 fenders 2 complete door 1 hood and a radiator saddle. He wants
200$ canadian for that. Does it worth it????
And should i go on rebuilding the 351 or th 302. Her the gas is pretty
expensive, 60 cents a litre so 2.25$ a gallon.... But i like the Humppf
it would give to my baby... And since the 351 comes from a grand
marquis, will the exhaust manifold of my 302 work on it???

Thank you in advance!!!

You can go and see my truck!!!
www3.sympatico.ca/mjtd
- --
- --
Thierry Delattre
thierry hybride.com
www.hybride.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 21:31:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve & Rockette
Subject: Re: Funny named 4sp OD

At 02:33 PM 25/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>OK FOMOCO gurus. I recently ran across a 4sp manual that was .8 OD in
>4th. He said 1st gear was same approx ratio as most 3sp's.(2.5 or
>so). Tremec (pronounced tree meck) was the name. availablity was


The Tremec is a 5 speed trans, rated for about 450# of torque,
it wouldn't stand a chance behind a 460, or even a well built
300 I6 for that matter.


Steve & Rockette...Lifes a beach
'63 F100 Longbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 23:50:31 -0600
From: garchap webtv.net (Gary Chapman)
Subject: aod tv cable or rod

Ok guys just installed an aod tranny in my 64 F-100 behind a 302 . It
came out of a 81 F-100 that was equipped with a tv rod connected to a
motorcraft 2v carb.Since my engine has a highrise intake manifold and
holley 4v carb this rod could not be used total performance (the ford
people not the rod shop)has the kit for the holley carb and a cable kit
that replaces the rod ,was very simple to install and adjust ,btw
adjusting the cable is critical but if it is not correct it will not....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.