Please do not repost, forward or otherwise publish messages
contained in these archives without consent from the respective
author(s). These archives may not, in whole or part, be stored on
any public retrieval system (FTP, web, gopher, newsgroup, etc.) by
individuals or companies, without consent of the respective authors.

Received: with LISTAR (v0.129a; list 61-79-list); Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:59:58 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:59:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server ford-trucks.com>
To: 61-79-list digest users ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: 61-79-list Digest V2000 #161
Precedence: list

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 1961-1979 Truck Mailing List

Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list" in the subject of the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
61-79-list Digest Sun, 16 Jul 2000 Volume: 2000 Issue: 161

In This Issue:
Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
u-joints, so far, so good
butter fingers
Re: 62 Unibody Update
wanted 61-63 unibody shell
'60's Interior Trim
Re: '60's Interior Trim
Re: '60's Interior Trim
Re: Freon- Canada
Re: Freon- Canada
Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
Re: u-joints, so far, so good
Re: '60's Interior Trim
testing
power steering pump whines
Re: power steering pump whines
Interior redoing and lights
Power Steering and truck updates.
Re: power steering pump whines
Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
Re: Dirt Cheap Freon

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: SevnD2 aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:11:01 EDT
Subject: Re: Dirt Cheap Freon

In a message dated 07/16/2000 6:33:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
canzus seanet.com writes:

< < Can you quote the order # for me?? > >

I can't recall the order number. I just know it is a regulation. I am sure
there is more to it than I have listed. I will look around to find the
regulation on this and post it later.

I may be wrong, but if it is attatched to a forklift it may be ok to be
inside of buildings and workplaces. We leave a propane powered forklift
inside our building each night, but we turn off the main valve on the tank. I
know it can still leak even with this valve turned off.

It is a loose tank being stored that is getting the most attention from OSHA.

Rollie H. Hunt

------------------------------

From: SevnD2 aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:14:45 EDT
Subject: Re: Dirt Cheap Freon

In a message dated 07/16/2000 6:33:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
canzus seanet.com writes:

<< Propane, being heavier than air, would sink to the ground, and dissapate
to a point where it would be non-explosive....
>>

Except if there is an open pit for doing car repairs. The gas would build up
in the pit and then someone might try welding or grinding in or near there.
Well, you get the picture.

Rollie H. Hunt

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:39:41 -0400
From: "Don Haring, Jr." fedora.net>
Subject: u-joints, so far, so good

Thank you to those who offered suggestions and tips for replacing u-joints.
I took my van to my garage today (which is 2 miles away, which is why I
even mention it). I marked the position of the driveshaft and joints with
paint and then removed the driveshaft. One of the reasons I enjoy working
on the van is that I don't even need to jack it up to work underneath it.

When I removed the rear end of the shaft, where the bad u-joint was, one of
the bearing cups fell right off. When it hit the floor, a puff of rust dust
flew out. A small pile of rust lay on the floor where it hit. After I slid
out from under the truck and took a closer look, it was just what I
suspected -- the rust powder was the needle bearings! They had been ground
to dust! It was like this only on one side, the rest were still wet with
grease. It was quite a sight though, to see the bearings gone and the
spider shaft polished like chrome.

While I can be blamed for not maintaining the u-joint, I figure I can place
some great amount of blame on the last owner. Some of you mentioned a
common mistake is to put the u-joint in backwards, making it impossible to
access the zerk fitting. Well, that was the case with the joint, so I never
even saw it. I just assumed that it didn't have one (as is the case with
some older joints). Now I know and I'll never make that mistake again.

It was very easy to pop the spider out using sockets and a hammer. I just
layed it down on an old blanket and did it on the floor without the need
for a vice. I'll go pick up a new joint tomorrow and put it all back
together. I will do it myself since it seemed to go very smoothly so far.

I also dropped out the front axle assembly. I'm beginning to get the
feeling I could do it in my sleep. This will be the third time it's been
out in two years. Time for new kingpins. I'll keep you up to date on that
saga.

Thanks again for all the advice,
-don

--
Don in Philadelphia #8142, Editor/Internet Director, Keystone Chapter FCA
66 Falcon Deluxe Club Wagon (daily driver)
61 Falcon Futura | Vespa and Lambretta scooters



------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:00:01 -0400
From: "Don Haring, Jr." fedora.net>
Subject: butter fingers

Just wanted to remind everyone to be careful when working on their
vehicles. It's easy to get lazy when you think you know what you are doing.
I took the front axle assembly out of my van today. I have done this
several time before, including just on Friday from a junkyard Econoline
(whew! talk about hard work), but I got a surprise today.

I had the van up securely on jack stands, had everything disconnected, and
had my floor jack under the middle of the axle, as I've done in the past.
After I undid all the u-bolts, the axle didn't drop out, so I figured I'd
have to give it a nudge. I just barely touched the middle of the axle, and
it slipped on the floor jack saddle, just nipping my finger. If I hadn't
quickly pulled my hand away, it could have easily caught my finger, and
possibly done some serious damage. I'm an illustrator by trade, so that
finger is very valuable to me! :)

And no matter what you do or don't do, I'm sure you want to keep your
fingers too. So don't take shortcuts. I'm not trying to make a sermon, just
reminding everyone to take the time to do it right.

-don

--
Don in Philadelphia #8142, Editor/Internet Director, Keystone Chapter FCA
66 Falcon Deluxe Club Wagon (daily driver)
61 Falcon Futura | Vespa and Lambretta scooters



------------------------------

From: Natp244cs.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:04:01 EDT
Subject: Re: 62 Unibody Update

In a message dated 7/16/00 5:33:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
canzusseanet.com writes:

<< >Hope you guys (and gals) will wish me luck in convincing my wife that
this
>truck really is worth the $500 asking price! She just can't seem to
>understand why I need a fourth truck. Go figure :)

Tell SWMBO it's for her... >>


SWMBO is too smart for that... and can't drive a standard. She is weakening,
though!

Nate

------------------------------

From: "Richard Coleman" georgian.net>
Subject: wanted 61-63 unibody shell
Date: (No, or invalid, date.)

monday july 17,2000
rick coleman [ tunnelramgeorgian.net]
looking for someone in ontario canada that has a 1961-1963 ford unibody truck for parts
in need of the last foot of the box, mine is damaged do not need tail gate, so if you can
help me please let me know thank-you


------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:39:40 -0400
From: j arnold ford-trucks.com>
Subject: '60's Interior Trim


Thought I saw a post several days ago from somebody looking for interior
trim for their mid-60's truck. Well, I just ran across an add for a company
making door panels and padded visors for 61-66 Fords. Let me know if
anyone's interested.

stoney


------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 06:03:22 -0700
From: Dennis Pearson ctc.edu>
Subject: Re: '60's Interior Trim

I'm interested!
I'm interested!
Post it!
Post it!


j arnold wrote:
>
> Thought I saw a post several days ago from somebody looking for interior
> trim for their mid-60's truck. Well, I just ran across an add for a company
> making door panels and padded visors for 61-66 Fords. Let me know if
> anyone's interested.
>
> stoney
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:34:35 -0400
From: j arnold ford-trucks.com>
Subject: Re: '60's Interior Trim

At 06:03 AM 7/17/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm interested!
>I'm interested!
>Post it!
>Post it!
>
>
>j arnold wrote:
>>
>> Thought I saw a post several days ago from somebody looking for interior
>> trim for their mid-60's truck. Well, I just ran across an add for a company
>> making door panels and padded visors for 61-66 Fords. Let me know if
>> anyone's interested.
>>
>> stoney
>>
Don't know anything about these folks, but, in sept. issue of Sport Truck I
saw an ad by
Dales's Manufacturing
Dept. ST
8717 S. Interstate 35
Oklahome City, Ok
73149
405/631-8988

stoney


------------------------------

From: Marvin Meyer strat.net>
Subject: Re: Freon- Canada
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:36:30 -0400


2 yrs ago 30lbs was going for $450 this summer I decided to change all
hoses and compressor in my 73 Tbird. I recaptured all but 1lb of it. Not
bad for sitting 21yrs! I am now 1lb short and need it. Current prices for a
30lb bottle here in Ontario are $ 2700 thats right 2,700.00
That's what I was told by mechanic that no longer has any. I am going to
Kentucky in a few weeks and will try and purchase a 12oz can (just one).
Regulations are different from Canada / US. Here we need a handling
certificate for the 30lb bottles, there is no cans available that I know
of. I understand state side you need a 602 certifitcate that is available
on the web. However if you have a canadian postal code (zip) it doesn't
work. So I will be trying to talk my way with a pep boys sale staff person
in hopes that I will obtain one, as the motorhome is going and not my
T-bird. System capacity is 4.25 lbs and I weighed it at 3.75.
Marvin


------------------------------

From: "Southerland, Rich" alldata.com>
Subject: Re: Freon- Canada
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:10:25 -0700

Good luck! A lot of the staff of parts stores may not be the sharpest
knives in the drawer, but one thing they drill home to them is: NO CERT, NO
R-12! They (the stores) open themselves to a huge fine if they sell to an
unlicensed individual. I have a license and I get the third degree even.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marvin Meyer [mailto:meyerstrat.net]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 6:37 AM
To: '61-79-listford-trucks.com'
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Freon- Canada

I understand state side you need a 602 certifitcate that is available
on the web. However if you have a canadian postal code (zip) it doesn't
work. So I will be trying to talk my way with a pep boys sale staff person
in hopes that I will obtain one, as the motorhome is going and not my
T-bird. System capacity is 4.25 lbs and I weighed it at 3.75.
Marvin


------------------------------

From: "Southerland, Rich" alldata.com>
Subject: Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:18:32 -0700

I attended a retrofit class last year and conterfeit R12 is a big problem!
Another popular ingredient is butane which cools great, but oh, the
flammibility! A leaky compressor shaft seal + butane or propane + spark
from the compressor clutch when engaging = BIG BOOM!!!

We saw photos of several compressors that literally exploded from these
refrigerant "cocktails".

Most shops now have a piece of equipment to analyze refrigerant before it is
reclaimed out of vehicles because of bogus refrigerant (and blends like
Freeze 12). One car with that junk can contaminate a machine, ruin a
cylinder of otherwise reusable R12 (up to $800 store cost-much more retail)
and turn it into hazardous waste that the shop must pay to have disposed of.




-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Derra [mailto:derrarinternetcds.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 9:23 PM
To: 61-79-listford-trucks.com
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Dirt Cheap Freon


Another, more important, fact about buying from Mexico is making sure you
truly know what you're getting. A few years back, a place I worked at had a
line on dirt cheap R12 from Mexico. It turned out to be propane instead.
Just imagine what could happen if your AC system developed a leak. A spark
from turning on the radio could really be disasterous.
Jason
'69 Bronco
'96 F250 Ext Cab 4WD Powerstroke E4OD

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Allison" yahoo.com>
To: <61-79-listford-trucks.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 5:54 PM
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Dirt Cheap Freon


> > From: Dan Lee yahoo.com>
> > Subject: Re: Freon
> -snip-
> > A black market is the natural outcome of over
> >regulation. Whether it is cigarettes, or alcohol, or
> >guns, or Freon, someone will seize the opportunity
> >to make money. I am surprised that that isn't being
> >done already! Dan Lee
>
> Oh but it IS!!! (Wink, wink!) Here's a clue... Think
> South of the border. IIRC it isn't illegal or
> regulated there. Just make sure you know what you're
> really getting because you'll have no recourse if you
> get shafted... Plus, make sure you don't get spanked
> for bringing it into the country as they may
> confiscate it. The good news is that it will be dirt
> cheap. Don't ask me how I know this... Canada is
> probably a whole nother story. I believe they are even
> more anal than we are so count them out as a possible
> source. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. As for the
> plan to ship it around via UPS, et al? Forget it. It
> wouldn't be accepted being a pressurized gas and such
> unless you jumped through about 500 hoops. It'd cost
> far more time and money than it would be worth

> Oh well.
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Get Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://mail.yahoo.com/
> ==========================================================
> $15 Amazon.com Gift Certificate FREE when you join CarClub!
> Save $550 on auto expenses every year. 10% discount on gas
> with every fill-up. Car damaged -- We'll pay your deductible
> up to $500. Plus, save up to $250 on insurance even if you're
> already paying low rates. Try CarClub.com free for a month
> and get a $15 Free Gift Certificate from Amazon.com!
> AOL users click
here

> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe:
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
>
>

==========================================================
To unsubscribe:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
Please remove this footer when replying.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:40:33 -0500
Subject: Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
From: John LaGrone ford-trucks.com>

on 7/15/2000 7:54 PM, J. Allison at pssminatlyahoo.com wrote:

>> A black market is the natural outcome of over
>> regulation. Whether it is cigarettes, or alcohol, or
>> guns, or Freon, someone will seize the opportunity
>> to make money. I am surprised that that isn't being
>> done already! Dan Lee
>
> Oh but it IS!!! (Wink, wink!) Here's a clue... Think
> South of the border. IIRC it isn't illegal or
> regulated there. Just make sure you know what you're
> really getting because you'll have no recourse if you
> get shafted...

As I understand it, a lot of 3rd world countries still use R12 to de-ice
airplanes before take off. That's right, they spray it on the wings out of a
fire hose. I figure my little 3.5 pound charge air conditioner in my 79 Ford
F150 would have to fully discharge about 5000 times to be even close to one
airplane hose down. On top of that, our foreign aid tax dollars are probably
funding the Freon production and the airports in the countries that are
doing this. Grrrr....

-- John
jlagroneford-trucks.com <]:-) <]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)<]:-)
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!


------------------------------

From: JUMPINFORDaol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:39:18 EDT
Subject: Re: u-joints, so far, so good

I dunno if anyone said this, but after your joint is installed, smack each
side of the yoke or driveline with a hammer, it will loosen any tad bit of
bind that may be there from installation.

Darrell & Tweety

------------------------------

From: "Garrett Nelson" writeme.com>
Subject: Re: '60's Interior Trim
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:23:30 -0500


I'm interested! (specifically in the door panels)


---Garrett www.1966ford.com


----- Original Message -----
From: j arnold
To: 61-79-listford-trucks.com
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 6:39 AM
Subject: [61-79-list] '60's Interior Trim



Thought I saw a post several days ago from somebody looking for interior
trim for their mid-60's truck. Well, I just ran across an add for a company
making door panels and padded visors for 61-66 Fords. Let me know if
anyone's interested.

stoney

==========================================================
To unsubscribe:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
Please remove this footer when replying.



------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:26:30 -0500
From: "Howard Bottles" austin.ppdi.com>
Subject: testing

just subscribed testing


------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:58:49 -0700
From: John Kahrs pixar.com>
Subject: power steering pump whines


-

Just put in a power steering pump from a pick-n-pull (probably my first mistake).
It works great but whines somethin' fierce. The truck is a '76 F100 and the pump
is the one with the dipstick neck that stick up out of the back. I've checked the
level several times, both hot and cold and it seems fine. Is is just trash, or is
there anything else I can do before I look for another?

jk


--
John Kahrs

kahrspixar.com
510.620.3486




------------------------------

From: "Southerland, Rich" alldata.com>
Subject: Re: power steering pump whines
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:08:11 -0700

Whining is most often caused by air in the lines. Likely there will be
dissention in the ranks on how to purge the air, but I've always lifted the
wheels slightly off the ground and with the engine running, slowly turning
the wheel from lock to lock and holding it for just a second at each lock.
Could be the pump is junk, but trying to purge the air is free...

IMHO, even new(er) Ford P/S pumps in good working order seem to me to be
noisier than most (asbestos undies on, let the flaming begin!).

-----Original Message-----
From: John Kahrs [mailto:kahrspixar.com]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 9:59 AM
To: 61-79-listford-trucks.com
Subject: [61-79-list] power steering pump whines



-

Just put in a power steering pump from a pick-n-pull (probably my first
mistake).
It works great but whines somethin' fierce. The truck is a '76 F100 and the
pump
is the one with the dipstick neck that stick up out of the back. I've
checked the
level several times, both hot and cold and it seems fine. Is is just trash,
or is
there anything else I can do before I look for another?

jk


--
John Kahrs

kahrspixar.com
510.620.3486



==========================================================
To unsubscribe:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
Please remove this footer when replying.

------------------------------

From: TWL1911aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:29:43 EDT
Subject: Interior redoing and lights

Hey all
well the 79 f-150 is slowly getting everything all transferred and so on.
well the interior in this truck is nice but has anyone put captains chairs
inside a truckthat used to have a bench seat? im thinking about doing it
because i have a nice set of red leather ones out of a GMC jimmy. i figured
i prolly can just fabricate a set out of some scrap iron
also has any one put in a set of clearence lights? if so is the roof on this
truck a double type deal or is it just a single piece of metal?
but if anyone has done this before let me know thanks
Travis

------------------------------

From: "wish" ford-trucks.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:02:38 GMT
Subject: Power Steering and truck updates.

Whew, well it was an awesome weekend, didn't start that way, but feels good today.
My girlfriend's car lost its tranny on Thurs. night, so I took fri. off to
get the power steering hooked up in my truck and go tow her car home. As some
of you know I'm swapping from the ram style steering to the 78/9 integrated
style of steering on a 74 (drivetrain) 4x4.

I finally got everything together and got the truck fired up on Fri. 10am-ish,
great right ? Wrong. Wouldn't turn left and seemed to have a leak. Finally
got enough fluid in it and it started turning left again, but still leaking.
After several calls I found another used box for $75 with a 30 day warranty
on it. I ran down to pick that up and discovered a whole new gem ... they have
a 78/9 Bronco, complete (before I took the steering box of course) with a tap
in the front left. I grabbed the steering wheel off of it too. Also found
several other old trucks that I might be able to use a couple of pieces off
of. Anyway with a friend helping me, and working out a few more errands and
bugs I got it fired up again at 10:00pm and drove it into town. Its much better,
still some whine in the pump and needs a cooler line run to keep the heat at
bay, but it is much nicer than the old ram style. I've still got some worn
ball joints I think, but the truck tracks straight and is reasonably easy to
drive.

Sat. I managed to run my fastest ever at the go-kart track with my car ... 83.2x
seconds in 2 laps. Not bad, the fastest in my class are running 81 and 82,
so I've got a little to make up for, but ditching a passenger and playing with
tire pressures might just get me there :)

Sunday we decided to skip the race and used my truck to haul the Mustang from
Des Moines to Ames (45+ miles each way) ... truck ran flawlessly (except for
my own stupidity flooding it on starting hot) I drove it all day yesterday
and to work today, dunno if I can bring myself to switch the rest of the stuff
for a few more months. I'll also get my steering conversion page updated in
the next few days to reflect the rest of the work.

And Dodge engines aren't completely useless, the shorter filter they require
works great for clearing the new power steering box until my remote filter kit
comes in today.

Just my $.02
wish

96 Mustang GT 5spd 4.6L
73ish 1/2ton 4x4 6.4L
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish

Ford Truck Enthusiasts
http://www.ford-trucks.com

------------------------------

From: SHill48337aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:52:18 EDT
Subject: Re: power steering pump whines

In a message dated 7/17/00 9:59:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kahrspixar.com
writes:

<< Just put in a power steering pump from a pick-n-pull (probably my first
mistake).
It works great but whines somethin' fierce. The truck is a '76 F100 and the
pump
is the one with the dipstick neck that stick up out of the back. I've
checked the
level several times, both hot and cold and it seems fine. Is is just trash,
or is
there anything else I can do before I look for another?
>>

I am sure if you continue to run it that it will quite down. Mine always
have, and there have been a large number of them.
Burt Hill Kennewick WA 1972 F-250 4x4 460

------------------------------

From: "Jason Derra" internetcds.com>
Subject: Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:01:32 -0700

Yes, but where is is going to go inside the car. The vapors will still be
there.
Jason
'69 Bronco
'96 F250 Ext Cab 4WD Powerstroke E4OD

----- Original Message -----
From: seanet.com>
To: <61-79-listford-trucks.com>
Cc: <61-79-listford-trucks.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2000 3:33 PM
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Dirt Cheap Freon


> At 09:22 PM 15:07:2000 -0700, Jason Derra wrote:
> >Another, more important, fact about buying from Mexico is making sure you
> >truly know what you're getting. A few years back, a place I worked at
had a
> >line on dirt cheap R12 from Mexico. It turned out to be propane instead.
> >Just imagine what could happen if your AC system developed a leak.
>
> Propane, being heavier than air, would sink to the ground, and dissapate
> to a point where it would be non-explosive....
>
>
> Steve & the Rockette
> 68 F100, 390cid, FMX
> 63 F100, 292cid, 3speed
> 72 Capri 2000, hers
> 73 Capri 2600,tube frame going in.....
> 73 MGB GT, Our Toy
> 94 SHO, SWMBO's
> 98 Contour SVT, Mine, Mine, All Mine....
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe:
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
>
>


------------------------------

From: "Jason Derra" internetcds.com>
Subject: Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:42:22 -0700

Rich,
What do you know about the Freeze 12? The trucking company I work for is
using it in their old R12 systems. They claim it is completely compatible
with R12. But I thought I remember reading a few years back that it isn't.
Thanks.
Jason
'69 Bronco
'96 F250 Ext Cab 4WD Powerstroke E4OD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Southerland, Rich" alldata.com>
To: <61-79-listford-trucks.com>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 7:18 AM
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Dirt Cheap Freon


> I attended a retrofit class last year and conterfeit R12 is a big problem!
> Another popular ingredient is butane which cools great, but oh, the
> flammibility! A leaky compressor shaft seal + butane or propane + spark
> from the compressor clutch when engaging = BIG BOOM!!!
>
> We saw photos of several compressors that literally exploded from these
> refrigerant "cocktails".
>
> Most shops now have a piece of equipment to analyze refrigerant before it
is
> reclaimed out of vehicles because of bogus refrigerant (and blends like
> Freeze 12). One car with that junk can contaminate a machine, ruin a
> cylinder of otherwise reusable R12 (up to $800 store cost-much more
retail)
> and turn it into hazardous waste that the shop must pay to have disposed
of.
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jason Derra [mailto:derrarinternetcds.com]
> Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 9:23 PM
> To: 61-79-listford-trucks.com
> Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
>
>
> Another, more important, fact about buying from Mexico is making sure you
> truly know what you're getting. A few years back, a place I worked at had
a
> line on dirt cheap R12 from Mexico. It turned out to be propane instead.
> Just imagine what could happen if your AC system developed a leak. A
spark
> from turning on the radio could really be disasterous.
> Jason
> '69 Bronco
> '96 F250 Ext Cab 4WD Powerstroke E4OD
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "J. Allison" yahoo.com>
> To: <61-79-listford-trucks.com>
> Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 5:54 PM
> Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
>
>
> > > From: Dan Lee yahoo.com>
> > > Subject: Re: Freon
> > -snip-
> > > A black market is the natural outcome of over
> > >regulation. Whether it is cigarettes, or alcohol, or
> > >guns, or Freon, someone will seize the opportunity
> > >to make money. I am surprised that that isn't being
> > >done already! Dan Lee
> >
> > Oh but it IS!!! (Wink, wink!) Here's a clue... Think
> > South of the border. IIRC it isn't illegal or
> > regulated there. Just make sure you know what you're
> > really getting because you'll have no recourse if you
> > get shafted... Plus, make sure you don't get spanked
> > for bringing it into the country as they may
> > confiscate it. The good news is that it will be dirt
> > cheap. Don't ask me how I know this... Canada is
> > probably a whole nother story. I believe they are even
> > more anal than we are so count them out as a possible
> > source. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. As for the
> > plan to ship it around via UPS, et al? Forget it. It
> > wouldn't be accepted being a pressurized gas and such
> > unless you jumped through about 500 hoops. It'd cost
> > far more time and money than it would be worth
>
> > Oh well.
> >
> > __________________________________________________
> > Do You Yahoo!?
> > Get Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
> > http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://mail.yahoo.com/
> > ==========================================================
> > $15 Amazon.com Gift Certificate FREE when you join CarClub!
> > Save $550 on auto expenses every year. 10% discount on gas
> > with every fill-up. Car damaged -- We'll pay your deductible
> > up to $500. Plus, save up to $250 on insurance even if you're
> > already paying low rates. Try CarClub.com free for a month
> > and get a $15 Free Gift Certificate from Amazon.com!
> >
AOL users click
> here

> > ==========================================================
> > To unsubscribe:
> > http://www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> > Please remove this footer when replying.
> >
> >
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe:
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe:
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
>
>


------------------------------

From: "G & J Boling" alltel.net>
Subject: Re: Dirt Cheap Freon
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:58:40 -0700



Rich,
> What do you know about the Freeze 12? The trucking company I work for
is
> using it in their old R12 systems. They claim it is completely
compatible
> with R12. But I thought I remember reading a few years back that it
isn't.
> Thanks.
> Jason
======================================
from what i have read IF you evacuate the system you can use the new freon
replacements then and either type of oil [ester or mineral] pennzoil i know
makes what they call FR12 but it seems all of the new replacements get
colder with less freon than r 12 or r 134 does from what they claim
gordon

------------------------------

End of 61-79-list Digest V2000 #161
***********************************
<><><><><><> Serious Help Finding That Part! <><><><><><>
Ford Truck Enthusiasts now has "Ford Products Interchange"
manuals in its online store. Two editions: 1950-1965 and
1963-1974. Cross references thousands of Ford parts.

http://www.motorhaven.com/


----------------------------------------------------------
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 1961-1979 Truck Mailing List

Send posts to 61-79-listford-trucks.com

If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing
list, send an email to:

listarford-trucks.com

with the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list" in the subject of
the message.

Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com
----------------------------------------------------------

....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.