Please do not repost, forward or otherwise publish messages
contained in these archives without consent from the respective
author(s). These archives may not, in whole or part, be stored on
any public retrieval system (FTP, web, gopher, newsgroup, etc.) by
individuals or companies, without consent of the respective authors.

Received: with LISTAR (v0.128a; list 61-79-list); Fri, 16 Jun 2000 18:19:57 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 18:19:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server ford-trucks.com>
To: 61-79-list digest users ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: 61-79-list Digest V2000 #129
Precedence: bulk

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 1961-1979 Truck Mailing List

Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list" in the subject of the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
61-79-list Digest Thu, 15 Jun 2000 Volume: 2000 Issue: 129

In This Issue:
F250 4x4 '78 lefthand drive Powersteering unit wanted
Re: Car shows?????
Re: 351W vs 460
Re: Starter problems continue
Re: Car shows?????
Re: Engine Problems
Re: 351W or 400?
Stroker 351's ? and inner fender paint
69 wiring diagram?
Re: Stroker 351's ? and inner fender paint
Stroker 351's
Dipstick & rear axles woes update...
Re: Classic T-Shirts
Re: 351W vs 460
Re: Classic T-Shirts
HI GUYS!
Re: HI GUYS!
'67 F series with A/C?
Re: HI GUYS!
73-79 Tailgate
Re: 351W vs 460
Re: 351W vs 460

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: JXS bridgetest.com>
Subject: F250 4x4 '78 lefthand drive Powersteering unit wanted
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:22:27 -0700


Warrick,

Your truck has power steering already, correct? And you just want to get a new unit???? All of the 78's that I've seen here were already equipped with P/S.

I've been able to go down to my parts house and order new (rebuilt) ones. They require a rather large deposit if you don't have an old one to turn in....I just got one this way about a year ago, so I'm assuming they're still available....

Hope this helps,

CJ (Colorado Jeff)



-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar --
-- Type: application/ms-tnef



------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 19:55:37 -0400
From: Brad mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Car shows?????

At 11:11 PM 06/13/2000 EDT, you wrote:
>The wife and I are taking a trip around the last half of September. We
>haven't decided which direction we are going yet. That largely depends on
>whether or not I can find a car show going on during that time. Anyone know
>of any during sept. in the central or south U.S.? Or know of anywhere I can
>find a listing of upcoming shows? I'd prefer to find an all-ford show, but
>I'm not picky. I won't be taking a vehic for the show- just want to
attend.
>Any help appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Nate
>
>P.S.- you know you have an understanding wife when she lets you plan your
>getaways around car shows!

Well, I know you said the end of Sept, and the South or central, but here
in Raleigh, NC on Sept 1-3 the Mustang Club of America is having its grand
national show... I went a one of there regional shows, and there were ~150
cars, and there are supposed to be between 500-600 cars at the national...
Not to mention we have a variety of other things to do here... Mountains
and the beach all in one state! Anyway, you should come on out... There
will be some awesome cars!!!

BRAD



------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:15:19 -0400
From: Brad mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: 351W vs 460

At 12:45 AM 06/15/2000 EDT, you wrote:
>I would like to hear some discussion of the following subject: Making the
>choice between reringing a 351W and making a cam change verses rebuilding a
>460. The truck is a F-150 4x4 with a 351W with a C6 and attached transfer
>case. Have a 460 that will cost around $800 to rebuild. The goal is to
have
>a truck that can go through the woods on hunting trips and occasionally pull
>a large camping trailer. The current engine does fine in the woods, but
only
>pulls the trailer up steep freeway hills at 30 MPH in low gear. If a 268 or
>270 were put in this engine would that significantly improve freeway hills
>with the trailer? Obviously this would be the cheapest fix.
>
>A little more information, the current 351W's rings are shot at 40K due to
>carb being too rich for half of those miles. So this engine needs to be
>repaired. But shifting over to the 460 means getting a C6 with transfer
case
>that will bolt to the 460 as the 351W configuration will not.
>
>So, bottom line question, will the higher RPM cam allow this engine to
>perform better on the freeway? Would it be possible to get 45 or 50 in
>second gear, instead of 30 MPH? Or is there no substitute displacement??
>Any and all ideas are welcome. I know the 460 will pull these hills at
>around 60 or better. Thanks
>Burt Hill Kennewick, WA 1972 F-250 4x4 460


Ok, well I have a big block for a heart so I might be a bit biased.... BUT,
Swapping to the 460 will significantly improve your pulling power, and will
also extend the life of your tranny. When you pull something with an
automatic tranny, and not enough motor it burns it up quick... Anyway,
camming up your 351 will help, but the type of weight you are describing,
sounds like to me you simply need more motor! As far as mounting it up to
your C-6, not gonna happen, but then again, if you have been pulling alot
with this setup, the tranny may be soon to go anyway... Just my Big Blocks
worth...

Brad



------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:19:16 -0400
From: Brad mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Starter problems continue

At 08:26 AM 06/15/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>OK, so I now know I have a 1980 302 in my 78. I've put a new starter on,
>tried swapping out the solenoid switch, charged the battery over night (it's
>only two years old) and still there's no power going to the starter, or so
>it seems. When I turn the key, the solenoid noise is audible but it almost
>sounds as if something is binding the starter. I can turn the engine over
>by hand so it's not that. Seems like the battery power is being dissipated
>somewhere before it gets to the starter. I've cut out a couple of fusible
>links and closed those circuits (a couple of those links were in real bad
>shape) but still have no solution. I really need to get this going by
>Friday as I have to travel about 200 km away. Any ideas on this problem
>would be greatly appreciated. Email me directly if you can as I'm on digest
>and will be trying to get her going this evening before I go to work.
>Thanks all,
>
>Robert Younker
>Bonkrr
>
>younkers auracom.com
>Proud Owner
>1978 F-150 Step Side 4X4 (156,000km) plate - NTFRGLE
>1995 SHO Taurus (134,000km)
>1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (249,000 km) plate - PWRBY4D
>
>Over 500,000 kilometres of Power By FORD
>

First thing to do is get your multimeter out and see what kinda voltage you
are getting at the big wire on the starter... then have someone turn the
key and see what hapens to that voltage... it should only drop 1-1.5V... If
it drops more than that you have a connection problem... And even though
the battery is only two years old, you should check it too...

Brad



------------------------------

From: "davidl" tbcnet.com>
Subject: Re: Car shows?????
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:45:46 -0500

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.galaxieclub.com/fordshows.html#58 this has a but load of shows
hope it helps

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad mindspring.com>
To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com <61-79-list ford-trucks.com>
Date: Thursday, June 15, 2000 6:59 PM
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: Car shows?????


>At 11:11 PM 06/13/2000 EDT, you wrote:
>>The wife and I are taking a trip around the last half of September. We
>>haven't decided which direction we are going yet. That largely depends on
>>whether or not I can find a car show going on during that time. Anyone
know
>>of any during sept. in the central or south U.S.? Or know of anywhere I
can
>>find a listing of upcoming shows? I'd prefer to find an all-ford show,
but
>>I'm not picky. I won't be taking a vehic for the show- just want to
>attend.
>>Any help appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Nate
>>
>>P.S.- you know you have an understanding wife when she lets you plan your
>>getaways around car shows!
>
>Well, I know you said the end of Sept, and the South or central, but here
>in Raleigh, NC on Sept 1-3 the Mustang Club of America is having its grand
>national show... I went a one of there regional shows, and there were ~150
>cars, and there are supposed to be between 500-600 cars at the national...
>Not to mention we have a variety of other things to do here... Mountains
>and the beach all in one state! Anyway, you should come on out... There
>will be some awesome cars!!!
>
>BRAD
>
>
>==========================================================
>To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
>the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list" in the subject of the
>message.


------------------------------

From: SHill48337 aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:43:09 EDT
Subject: Re: Engine Problems

In a message dated 6/15/00 2:58:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
thepitstop hotmail.com writes:

<<
Obvious things I have checked:

-Timing seems OK. Any more retarded and engine runs poor.
-Firing order is right.
-All battery and ground connections are tight.

Help me narrow this down before I dismantle the entire thing.

Thanks guys, >>

There is possibility that your exhaust system may be severely restricted and
back pressure causes your starter to lug down and causes your engine to spin
backwards when you kill the spark. Had this very thing happen to a MGB that
I rebuild over a 2 year period. Mice had built massive nests in the exhaust
pipes and muffler. I had to cut the piping into sections and then weld it
back to gether after I got the junk out. It would spin the engine backwards
when I shut it off. Sounds like your truck may have sat long enough for the
mice to move in.
Burt Hill Kennewick WA 1972 F-250 4x4 460

------------------------------

From: "Jason Derra" internetcds.com>
Subject: Re: 351W or 400?
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:52:33 -0700

Is it a 351M or a 351W? The 351M shared most external components with the
400. The 351W was basically an oversized 302 (roughly) The 400 can be
built into a decent torque producing engine for a suprisingly low amount of
money.
Jason
'69 Bronco
'96 F250 Ext Cab 4WD Powerstroke

----- Original Message -----
From: "Southerland, Rich" alldata.com>
To: "'ford list'" <61-79-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 3:32 PM
Subject: [61-79-list] 351W or 400?


> '77 Ford E150. Got it for free about a year ago (it had sat for 4 yrs).
> Van has 130K on chassis, 50K on trans and about 35K on engine. I replaced
> the timing chain recently with a steel set (yes, the rebuilt engine had a
> NYLON cam gear in it, but mind you, it was rebuilt nearly 15 years ago-I
> have the receipts!) and the 351 is running fine.
>
> I rented a car trailer to pick up a N*ssan truck. With the truck and
> trailer attached to the van (somewhere around 3500 pounds) it really
dogged
> out on the hills. We want to purchase a small travel trailer for camping.
> I suspect a small (around 20') travel trailer will weigh in the ball park
of
> 3500 pounds as well.
>
> We really like this van and have no intentions of getting rid of it, but
the
> stock 351 may not be up to the task of pulling the trailer. A 460 swap is
> out of the question. I know Ford had a 400 in passenger cars of that era.
> Would the extra 50 cubes help? I have to deal with CA smog tests for a
> couple more years, so a 4 barrel carb or headers is a no-no too.
>
> Doesn't the 400 share the same valve covers, intake, ect as the 351W? If
I
> used my old valve covers (with the 351 emission sticker) could a person
tell
> the difference just by eyeball?
>
> Or is the 400 just a POS?
>
> Thanks!
> Rich
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list" in the subject of the
> message.
>
>


------------------------------

From: "Desanto, Phillip" Cinergy.com>
Subject: Stroker 351's ? and inner fender paint
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:01:47 -0400

Burt asked-

I would like to hear some discussion of the following subject: Making the
choice between re-ringing a 351W and making a cam change verses rebuilding a
460.

Then Rich asked about almost the same thing.............

From: "Southerland, Rich"
Subject: Re: 351W or 400?
Bummer. I know it's a 351w. That said, any suggestions on what
to do
with what I got?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

I'd like to see some discussion on this one to. One of the things that
comes to mind (as others have said) is just keeping the 351w and stroking
it. I know that stroker crank kits are available to make a 408 and a 427 out
of a .030 over 351. Does anybody on here have any experience with these
kits? The idea of putting a big inch engine where a "little" 351 lives
sounds pretty neat, plus you don't have to fool with the drivetrain. The
only thing of course is, does the cost of the kit equal the cost of the
different tranny combo and any exhaust system, cooling system changes you'd
have to make if you DID go with a 460? I'd think a 400+ cubic inch engine,
built right, would move that truck or van out smartly.
And as far as Rich is concerned it would sure get past the smog nazi's. As
long as it was within limits it wouldn't draw any undue attention. Most of
the ads I've seen, price these kits at around 15 or $1600. I think that's
just the crank, rods, & pistons. The rest is up to you. And as someone else
mentioned the Windsor's Achilles heel is it's pathetic breathing heads. So
you'd either have to home port a set, or find a nice set of aftermarket
heads. There's another grand if you just buy em new, a little less if you do
them yourself. The biggest gains are on the exhaust side. Opening up the
ports and going to a bigger valve would help greatly on a low r.p.m. motor
in a truck. You wouldn't have to go nuts or anything. There was an article a
while back in one of the Mustang mags about a guy that takes the "D5AE"
heads and just "blows away" some of the expensive heads with some creative
work on (mostly) the exhaust ports. I've got that layin around somewhere ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
On repainting those inner fenders. If you follow their procedures, the
POR-15 will work great. That stuff sticks like crazy, and is extremely
tough. Most automotive chemicals won't touch it. They have a semi-gloss
black now that looks real good under the hood too. Brushes on and leaves no
streaks. Might give it a try. Kinda pricey, but it works.
Later, Phil (64 F-100 / totally fabricated from a gallon of POR-15 )
:-)


























------------------------------

From: "glperry" fwi.com>
Subject: 69 wiring diagram?
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 03:50:14 -0500

Looking for wiring diagram for 69 F-350 . Need the strg comumn
mostly for turn-signal wiring. Can't find anything on FTE site for this
year. Someone had a site with diagrams, but I didn't save link at
time. Anyone help?
"G"
G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN
54 Chevy 2-ton (driver)
50 Chevy COE (project)
MM Jet Star 3 Super (tractor)


------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 01:57:29 -0700
From: John Lord home.com>
Subject: Re: Stroker 351's ? and inner fender paint

I built myself a 351W for my 74 F250 4x4 (Crew Cab), Ported the heads etc., kept
the stroke stock and i have no complaints except i didn't give myself enough low
end torque with my cam selection compared to my gearing (4.10). It is high
compression and on propane and i have raced against and offroaded with a friend
and his 75 460 Ci F250 4x4 on propane and in all fairness i will say he can
pull more up the local mountains (i blame some of it on my cam). but im able to
do over 120 mph an have no fear of taking my rpm up to 6000 and that for me is
good when i over rev the engine when i suddenly loose traction in 4 low. My
friend has a well build engine but has screwed his valve train more than once
over revving in the muck. my final word is that even on propane with the same
size tanks i seem to piss him off (grin).

In regards to stroking info on fords look at this site. www.kb-silvolite.com
under there selection of keith black automotive pistons. It will show things
like a 416 ci W engine and how to build it.

"Desanto, Phillip" wrote:

> Burt asked-
>
> I would like to hear some discussion of the following subject: Making the
> choice between re-ringing a 351W and making a cam change verses rebuilding a
> 460.
>
> Then Rich asked about almost the same thing.............
>


------------------------------

From: "G & J Boling" alltel.net>
Subject: Stroker 351's
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 06:08:55 -0700


theres a article in this past months CAR CRAFT about stroker 351s and
turning them into 392s it said the kits are available from from FORD MOTOR
SPORTS dealers as well as the complete engine
1 dealer some place in California was supposed to be selling the kits at
just about cost to them even
gordon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 06:40:12 -0400
From: David Wadson air.on.ca>
Subject: Dipstick & rear axles woes update...

Thanks for the tips on the dipstick. I did try another Ford dealer and had
my hopes soar when the guy said it was only about $20. Then he say's "But
that's just the stick". Aaarrggghhh. "No, I need the tube, not the stick."
Wait while he looks it up..... "Oh, the tube is $59.25." So instead we
picked up a chunk of brake line with the same size fitting on the end that
we'll try to get to approximately the same length of the old tube. It
should work alright. I'll check with Summit to see if they have anything
but the brakeline will do for now. At least I'll be able to put a stick in
there and get the engine running again.

As for that rear axle...well we tore apart the 2WD axle and it was looking
good but in our rush to get the job done before dark I neglected to look in
both ends. When I compared it the next day to the one that is on the 4x4, I
noticed that the new housing was missing the ridge on the inside that the
seal seams to rest against. Also, those axle housings seem to wear quite a
bit at the outer end - the housing is not perfectly round but has lopsided
indentations worn around it. Also, the new axle housing, which did not seem
to be leaking, did not have the seals installed in it like the 4x4 one did.
We're a little confused as to what seals which axles have. Even the parts
store had originally given me the big one that is part of the bearing and
can be replaced without removing the bearing. I had to bring them the
mangled remains of the old seal and he had to hunt for the right
replacement. The bearing retainer on the axleshafts from the 2WD axle also
didn't have a ridge on the inside edge of the bearing retainer like the 4x4
axleshafts did.

So with those differences and the not much better state of the new axle
housing, I just installed the seals into the original housing and put some
sealant around the one with the chip in the housing. With any luck it won't
leak for a long time. On a brighter note, my shop manuals from Helm
(www.helminc.com) arrived yesterday - woohoo! I think I'll be avoiding my
Chilton and Haynes manuals for a while...unless I want the half-ass,
Ford-disapproved method of doing things!

My only other complaint....why can auto parts stores never get the right
part the first time....this is twice nice I've gotten the wrong brake
cables...


David Wadson - wadsond air.on.ca
"PS1" - 79 F100 ...ground into a million pieces.
"PS2" - 78 F100 ...currently alive and kicking.
"PS3" - 79 F150 4x4 ...now what have I gotten myself into...
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada



------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:31:04 -0400
From: Ted Wnorowski ford-trucks.com>
Subject: Re: Classic T-Shirts


At 05:11 PM 6/15/00 -0400, you wrote:

>Hey Y'all,
>A while back someone posted an address for a website with lots of car and
>truck T-shirts. I lost the address before I could order one of those cool
>shirts with the '65 on the front. Anybody have it or remember it? Thanks
>for your help. :o)
>
>~Mel
>1965 F100
>1989 Bronco
>G.R.I.T.S ~ Girls Raised In The SOUTH!


Try this: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.classiccarwear.com/



Ted Wnorowski
Flat Rock, OH
' 64 F-250
352 transplant
4 speed
' 63 F-100
parts truck



------------------------------

From: "Matt Schu" hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 351W vs 460
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:13:03 AKDT

Lemme take a shot at this one....

I think that the 460 is a much better block for pulling. 100 extra cubes is
always going to pull much harder, however I am not sure I would swap the 460
in this situation. I guess it depends on how much money you are willing to
throw into it and how much work and trouble you are willing to go though.
The 460 swap sounds like it is much more difficult and expensive (depending
on how you build your 351), but if you are willing to go though all that
then you will be rewarded with a truck that is much more capable for
pulling.

I personally really like the 351w block. I have seen it built into a real
horse (or racecar =]) many times. A 393 stroker kit and the right
cam/intake/carb/exhaust will make plenty of pulling power. Here in my hand
I have an article that talks about a 351w build up with a summit racing 393
crank ($550), stock rods, and 302 pistons that put out 529 horse power and
472 ft/lbs of torque. I am sure the truck wouldn't idle that well in that
configuration, but you can change the cam around to get more low-mid plus
get your idle back.

Now I am not sure if that this is the best way to go either, I just wanted
to point out that the extra stroke added to a 351w will really pull if it
can breathe.

schu

>
>I would like to hear some discussion of the following subject: Making the
>choice between reringing a 351W and making a cam change verses rebuilding a
>460. The truck is a F-150 4x4 with a 351W with a C6 and attached transfer
>case. Have a 460 that will cost around $800 to rebuild. The goal is to
>have
>a truck that can go through the woods on hunting trips and occasionally
>pull
>a large camping trailer. The current engine does fine in the woods, but
>only
>pulls the trailer up steep freeway hills at 30 MPH in low gear. If a 268
>or
>270 were put in this engine would that significantly improve freeway hills
>with the trailer? Obviously this would be the cheapest fix.
>
>A little more information, the current 351W's rings are shot at 40K due to
>carb being too rich for half of those miles. So this engine needs to be
>repaired. But shifting over to the 460 means getting a C6 with transfer
>case
>that will bolt to the 460 as the 351W configuration will not.
>
>So, bottom line question, will the higher RPM cam allow this engine to
>perform better on the freeway? Would it be possible to get 45 or 50 in
>second gear, instead of 30 MPH? Or is there no substitute displacement??
>Any and all ideas are welcome. I know the 460 will pull these hills at
>around 60 or better. Thanks
>Burt Hill Kennewick, WA 1972 F-250 4x4 460

________________________________________________________________________


------------------------------

From: EffieFrd aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:14:34 EDT
Subject: Re: Classic T-Shirts

In a message dated 6/16/00 9:33:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
theodore ford-trucks.com writes:

<<
Try this: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.classiccarwear.com/

>>

Thanks Ted!! Just what I was looking for. :o)

~Mel
1965 F100
1989 Bronco
G.R.I.T.S ~ Girls Raised In The SOUTH!

------------------------------

From: Bad4dFilly aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:41:36 EDT
Subject: HI GUYS!

Did y'all miss me! I got a new PC and the addresses for the FTE list played a
vanishing act for a lil bit, but I'm still here. Envy is running great, she
finally got a bath after about 3 months! LOL Anyways, I was thinking about
gettin her repainted in the next few months if I can afford it. 2 questions:
Where are some places that'll do it for REALLY cheap
and but I TOTALLY wanna get it painted purple I'll be a single chick lol> Will that make it harder to sell when I do decide
to sell it? Cuz if so maybe I'll have to go with a more normal color? Any
advice? Thanks y'all! =)

*~*~Lisa and Envy~*~*
*~*~Silly boys....trucks are for GIRLS!~*~*

------------------------------

From: "Lyndell Smith" fairburn.com>
Subject: Re: HI GUYS!
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:46:16 -0400

THINK ABOUT IT purple is a great color, you have to remember this is the
year 2000
and loud and bright colors are in this century, just look at vw & the new
FORD colors.
I say go for it!! let Envy strut her stuff


smitty
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.geocities.com/scb3552/

-----Original Message-----
From: 61-79-list-bounceford-trucks.com
[mailto:61-79-list-bounceford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of
Bad4dFillyaol.com
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 12:42 PM
To: 61-79-listford-trucks.com; offroad-listford-trucks.com
Subject: [61-79-list] HI GUYS!


Did y'all miss me! I got a new PC and the addresses for the FTE list played
a
vanishing act for a lil bit, but I'm still here. Envy is running great, she
finally got a bath after about 3 months! LOL Anyways, I was thinking about
gettin her repainted in the next few months if I can afford it. 2 questions:
Where are some places that'll do it for REALLY cheap
and but I TOTALLY wanna get it painted purple I'll be a single chick lol> Will that make it harder to sell when I do
decide
to sell it? Cuz if so maybe I'll have to go with a more normal color? Any
advice? Thanks y'all! =)

*~*~Lisa and Envy~*~*
*~*~Silly boys....trucks are for GIRLS!~*~*
==========================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to: listarford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list" in the subject of the
message.



------------------------------

From: "Southerland, Rich" alldata.com>
Subject: '67 F series with A/C?
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:47:01 -0700

Anyone know if the '67 F-series could be had with factory A/C?
If so, does it use the push-pull cables to control it like the non-A/C
trucks do?


------------------------------

From: "wish" ford-trucks.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:52:53 GMT
Subject: Re: HI GUYS!

>Envy is running great, she
>finally got a bath after about 3 months!

Heh, we go 3 mo. without washin em here too, thought that's usually 'cause its
at or near freezing, or there's so much salt on the roads its gonna be worse
for it than if we just leave the stuff on it ...

>Where are some places that'll do it for REALLY cheap
Lots of places can do it cheap, but how many do it cheap and well? The end
result is all based on the preparations as I understand it. Anyone can spray
on the paint for you, but if the underlay isn't flat and well prepped, then
you might not have quite what you were looking for in a paint job. Its up to
you and your pocketbook. Ask them, maybe there's some stuff you can do ahead
of time that will allow them to spend more time prepping the car for the same
amount of money, like removing all the trim ...

> I TOTALLY wanna get it painted purple >I'll be a single chick lol> Will that make it harder to sell when I do decide

>to sell it? Cuz if so maybe I'll have to go with a more normal color?

Envy wouldn't be envy with purple would she ? Anyway not the point. I've seen
several purple trucks, and it may make it harder to sell, or it may not. One
thing dad always says about gettin a car also applies to keeping it :

"Its your car, you're gonna have to live with it, so get exactly what you want
the first time and you'll be way ahead in the long run."

He convinced himself of that after buying a car without any of the options
he wanted, then pricing what it would cost to put those options on ...

Just my $.02
wish

96 Mustang GT 5spd 4.6L
73ish 1/2ton 4x4 6.4L
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish

Ford Truck Enthusiasts
http://www.ford-trucks.com

------------------------------

From: "Gary Tobolski" mediaone.net>
Subject: 73-79 Tailgate
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:51:59 -0400

I don't know if anyone needs one, but I saw one today for $100. It has the
trim, and all the latches and stuff. It only had 1 small rust spot which
was near the corner of a trim piece. This is at a junkyard in Brockton, MA.


------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:16:56 -0700
From: dave Prasse gte.net>
Subject: Re: 351W vs 460

Hi Matt ,

Where is this article ? I'd like to take a look ....
a 393W short block with my 4v Clev heads would romp ... not as well
as my 460 , though :-)

dave Prasse


M Here in my hand
> I have an article that talks about a 351w build up with a summit racing 393
> crank ($550), stock rods, and 302 pistons that put out 529 horse power and
> 472 ft/lbs of torque.

------------------------------

From: "Jason Derra" internetcds.com>
Subject: Re: 351W vs 460
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:26:14 -0700

With the stroked 423 Windsor, there isn't that much of a difference in cubes
between the 2. With Mustang style injection and better breathing heads, I
have seen figures of 500+ hp and lb/ft torque at very low usable RPMs will
still being "calm" enough to be a daily driver and a very good slow speed
trail machine. I have also heard of the Windsor going as big as 450+ cubic
inches, but I couldn't verify the reliability of one.
Jason
'69 Bronco
'96 F250 Ext Cab 4WD Powerstroke

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Schu" hotmail.com>
To: <61-79-listford-trucks.com>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 1:13 AM
Subject: [61-79-list] Re: 351W vs 460


> Lemme take a shot at this one....
>
> I think that the 460 is a much better block for pulling. 100 extra cubes
is
> always going to pull much harder, however I am not sure I would swap the
460
> in this situation. I guess it depends on how much money you are willing
to
> throw into it and how much work and trouble you are willing to go though.
> The 460 swap sounds like it is much more difficult and expensive
(depending
> on how you build your 351), but if you are willing to go though all that
> then you will be rewarded with a truck that is much more capable for
> pulling.
>
> I personally really like the 351w block. I have seen it built into a real
> horse (or racecar =]) many times. A 393 stroker kit and the right
> cam/intake/carb/exhaust will make plenty of pulling power. Here in my
hand
> I have an article that talks about a 351w build up with a summit racing
393
> crank ($550), stock rods, and 302 pistons that put out 529 horse power and
> 472 ft/lbs of torque. I am sure the truck wouldn't idle that well in that
> configuration, but you can change the cam around to get more low-mid plus
> get your idle back.
>
> Now I am not sure if that this is the best way to go either, I just wanted
> to point out that the extra stroke added to a 351w will really pull if it
> can breathe.
>
> schu
>
> >
> >I would like to hear some discussion of the following subject: Making
the
> >choice between reringing a 351W and making a cam change verses rebuilding
a
> >460. The truck is a F-150 4x4 with a 351W with a C6 and attached
transfer
> >case. Have a 460 that will cost around $800 to rebuild. The goal is to
> >have
> >a truck that can go through the woods on hunting trips and occasionally
> >pull
> >a large camping trailer. The current engine does fine in the woods, but
> >only
> >pulls the trailer up steep freeway hills at 30 MPH in low gear. If a 268
> >or
> >270 were put in this engine would that significantly improve freeway
hills
> >with the trailer? Obviously this would be the cheapest fix.
> >
> >A little more information, the current 351W's rings are shot at 40K due
to
> >carb being too rich for half of those miles. So this engine needs to be
> >repaired. But shifting over to the 460 means getting a C6 with transfer
> >case
> >that will bolt to the 460 as the 351W configuration will not.
> >
> >So, bottom line question, will the higher RPM cam allow this engine to
> >perform better on the freeway? Would it be possible to get 45 or 50 in
> >second gear, instead of 30 MPH? Or is there no substitute displacement??
> >Any and all ideas are welcome. I know the 460 will pull these hills at
> >around 60 or better. Thanks
> >Burt Hill Kennewick, WA 1972 F-250 4x4 460
>
> ________________________________________________________________________
> >
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listarford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list" in the subject of the
> message.
>
>


------------------------------

End of 61-79-list Digest V2000 #129
***********************************
----------------------------------------------------------
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 1961-1979 Truck Mailing List

Send posts to 61-79-listford-trucks.com

If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing
list, send an email to:

listarford-trucks.com

with the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list" in the subject of
the message.

Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com
----------------------------------------------------------

....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.