From: owner-61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com (61-79-list-digest)
To: 61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 61-79-list-digest V3 #330
Reply-To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


61-79-list-digest Wednesday, September 15 1999 Volume 03 : Number 330



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961-1979 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 61-79 - KR Shelby
FTE 61-79 - 429 firetruck
Re: FTE 61-79 - KR Shelby
FTE 61-79 - Re: Pictures of my 76 parked on a glacier.
FTE 61-79 - Floyd
FTE 61-79 - Re: winter storage
RE: FTE 61-79 - Re: winter storage
Re: FTE 61-79 - Re: Pictures of my 76 parked on a glacier.
FTE 61-79 - RE: Still not charging.
FTE 61-79 - Horn problems
FTE 61-79 - Blow by?
FTE 61-79 - Tranny question
RE: FTE 61-79 - Blow by?
RE: FTE 61-79 - Tranny question
Re: FTE 61-79 - P/S conversion
Re: FTE 61-79 - P/S conversion
FTE 61-79 - steering column, brake booster 78
FTE 61-79 - 75 F250 4x4 steering
Re: FTE 61-79 - P/S conversion
Re: FTE 61-79 - steering column, brake booster 78
Re: FTE 61-79 - 75 F250 4x4 steering
FTE 61-79 - 1966 Engine Rebuild Project

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:51:09 -0400
From: am14 daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - KR Shelby

You folks have been very good about deciphering different VIN's and such now I
have another one for you... One of My Son-in-laws is looking for a GT500 Shelby.
What we need to know is what does the KR code mean??? 2 4bbls or what???

We will go get it with one of our many Ford F series trucks .... FTE content.

Azie
Ardmore, Al.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 06:33:50 PDT
From: "Don Jones"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - 429 firetruck

>this truck may have and also when you are pumping water and you shut it off
>it "diesels" for a little while any clue as to why? thanks
>Travis

There is probably a remote throttle on the Fire pump control panel. If it's
binding or not properly adjusted then it could hold the throttle open and
cause it to diesel.

Don Jones
1970 f-250 4x4 ~Fordzilla~

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:58:24 -0500
From: kimchi webcombo.net
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - KR Shelby

At 08:51 AM 9/14/99 -0400, you wrote:
>You folks have been very good about deciphering different VIN's and such
now I
>have another one for you... One of My Son-in-laws is looking for a GT500
Shelby.
>What we need to know is what does the KR code mean??? 2 4bbls or what???
>

King of the Road
- - -


[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
G. Turk
Micro Certified Professional
Windows NT Workstation 4.0
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 07:07:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: draco pacifier.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Re: Pictures of my 76 parked on a glacier.

Schu wrote:
> I would love to hear your comments.

Looks like a great trip in some beautiful country. My only
comments are, couldn't you get your truck into more of the
pictures? Also, too many shots of that Ch*vy. Did the Ch*vy
make it back OK? At least he had you along in case of trouble.


Mark in Southwest Washington
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.pacifier.com/~draco
- --
'74 F-100 Ranger XLT 4X4
in digest mode

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:21:22 -0400
From: tfreeman murphyfarms.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Floyd

Good Luck to everyone in the south east part of the US. I hope you and your
families make it through Hurricane Flody okay. Hopefully all of the old Ford
Trucks will make it through.

- -Ted





== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:37:42 -0600
From: "Richard Currit"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Re: winter storage

> looking for any tricks anyone might have when >it comes to long term
storage, i.e. >preservation, oil levels, moisture control.

Well, here are a couple of things I always do. Make sure you have a
full tank of gas, a low tank will gather a lot of moisture, and add
some gas stabilizer, the most common one is called StaBil I believe.
Make sure your anti-freeze is adequate (I also usually full the
radiator cap and push a rag in there just in case of expansion). I
then like to start it up and slowly drizzle Marvel Mystery Oil down
the carb until you are billowing tons of smoke and shut it down. This
will keep your rings and valves from getting rusty or stuck. If you
don't want to do that pull the plugs and squirt Marvel or regular oil
down into the cylinders, put the plugs back in, pull the coil wire and
spin the engine over a few times. Doesn't lube your intake valves but
its a lot better than nothing. Then remove the battery or at the very
least pull the positive cable. And follow the previous advice about
rodent protection, I have also heard of racoons and squirells making a
mess of your wiring, never had it happen to me tho. These steps have
worked well for me, I always have at least one car sitting for the
winter here in Cheyenne, it does get a bit chilly on occasion.

High Plains Richard
'72 F-100, 300 I6

PS what is the easiest way to identify a 9 inch rear???
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:44:38 -0500
From: Dave Jacobs
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Re: winter storage

Removable center section. Once removed, very heavy!

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Currit [mailto:RCURRI missc.state.wy.us]
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 1999 9:38 AM
To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Re: winter storage

> looking for any tricks anyone might have when >it comes to
long term
storage, i.e. >preservation, oil levels, moisture control.

Well, here are a couple of things I always do. Make sure
you have a
full tank of gas, a low tank will gather a lot of moisture,
and add
some gas stabilizer, the most common one is called StaBil I
believe.
Make sure your anti-freeze is adequate (I also usually full
the
radiator cap and push a rag in there just in case of
expansion). I
then like to start it up and slowly drizzle Marvel Mystery
Oil down
the carb until you are billowing tons of smoke and shut it
down. This
will keep your rings and valves from getting rusty or stuck.
If you
don't want to do that pull the plugs and squirt Marvel or
regular oil
down into the cylinders, put the plugs back in, pull the
coil wire and
spin the engine over a few times. Doesn't lube your intake
valves but
its a lot better than nothing. Then remove the battery or
at the very
least pull the positive cable. And follow the previous
advice about
rodent protection, I have also heard of racoons and
squirells making a
mess of your wiring, never had it happen to me tho. These
steps have
worked well for me, I always have at least one car sitting
for the
winter here in Cheyenne, it does get a bit chilly on
occasion.

High Plains Richard
'72 F-100, 300 I6

PS what is the easiest way to identify a 9 inch rear???
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:09:00 -0800
From: "Matthew Schumacher"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Re: Pictures of my 76 parked on a glacier.

Mark,

The reason why we got more shots of the chevy is because the digital
camera was in the cab with us. We didn't think to have one of the crew
in our truck go ride in the chevy so that we can get pictures of the
Ford crossing the river.

You would be impressed with the chevy and its driver. Don knows his
truck well and can get it anywhere I can. In fact I broke a front
universal and a steering stabilizer bracket and the chevy came out
unharmed. I wonder how old that front universal is. It was on the
truck when I bought it.

oh, one last thing. Don and I both brought each other along in case of
trouble. They don't make tow trucks that can get back there :)

schu

draco pacifier.com wrote:
>
> Schu wrote:
> > I would love to hear your comments.
>
> Looks like a great trip in some beautiful country. My only
> comments are, couldn't you get your truck into more of the
> pictures? Also, too many shots of that Ch*vy. Did the Ch*vy
> make it back OK? At least he had you along in case of trouble.
>
> Mark in Southwest Washington
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.pacifier.com/~draco
> --
> '74 F-100 Ranger XLT 4X4
> in digest mode
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:10:56 -0400
From: William King
Subject: FTE 61-79 - RE: Still not charging.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help.
It was too late when I got back home last night to work
on the truck, so I'll poke around it tonight and post
my findings tomorrow morning. You've given me a couple
things to try. Hopefully I'll have good news...
Thanks again
Ohio Bill
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:58:13 -0500
From: "mstrawn"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Horn problems

I recently suffered a horn problem with my 77 F-100. The horn relay on the
passenger inner fender was the culprit. Corrosion around the spade
connectors had built up to the point of being non-conductive. Some contact
cleaner, dielectric grease, and now she works fine.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:26:25 -0500
From: David.R.John deluxe.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Blow by?

Hi all,

I have been on the list for about 2 years, but I have been away for the
last 4 months, while I relocated from Wisconsin to Minnesota. My problem
is my 78 F250 4x4 supercab with a 460 and 4 speed. I bought it 2 years ago
from a guy who had swapped in a newly overhauled 460 just prior to me
buying the truck. He seems to have done a very good job with it and the
motor was rebuilt by a reputable outfit (however they would not transfer
the warrantee to me when I bought the truck). The motor has always taken
some oil which I did not like, but it was not leaking on the driveway and I
couldn't detect it burning any (smell, blue smoke). My father said that
the rings probably didn't seat and what I have gathered from the list this
could be very true. He and you all have suggested driving the heck out of
it, but to no avail. Now the engine wants blow my dipstick out and puke
oil all over my engine. I have checked and replaced the PCV valve to no
effect either. My question to all you great minds is what is going on, and
how do I fix it?

My dad said that some of the chev?! guys he would run against would have to
dump bonami down their carb to get their rings to seat. This may be some
urban legend, but I thought the great Azie mentioned this before (it may
have been a joke on his part) too. Can this hurt to try if I am going to
have to tear down to motor anyway?

The motor probably has 10,000 miles on it now since the over haul, and
without taping my dipstick down it uses 2 qts per 300-400 miles.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

David John
78 F250 4x4 Supercab 460 4spd
78 F250 4x4 400 C6 (parts truck for tranny swap)

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:37:57 -0500
From: David.R.John deluxe.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Tranny question

Hey,

I am in the process of swapping my 4spd out of my truck (78 F250 4x4
supercab) and putting a C6 in. My donor vehicle is pretty rough (very
rusty, and no brakes) I drove it around in the field and it seems to shift
and work fine. I believe the previous owner said that the tranny had been
rebuilt before but did not know exactly when. My question(s): should I
have it rebuilt, before I put it in? Is there something cheaper I can do
(or have someone do) that will help ensure that it will last? Can a
rebuilder somehow test to see if a tranny is "good" without tearing it
apart (and costing me big bucks)? I would hate to spend money that I do
not need to, and yet I would hate to have to pull the tranny and put it in
twice. Any thoughts............

Thanks,

David
78 F250 4x4 Supercab 460 4spd
78 F250 4x4 400 C6 (parts truck for tranny swap)

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:05:57 -0400
From: Marvin & Michelle Meyer
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Blow by?

Sounds like blow by, take a compression test cold then hot, and squirt some
oil into the spark plug holes if the compression goes up compared to your
previous hot test then it's the rings and she'll have to be bored and
re-ringed.
I'm currently doing the same thing to my 302 with 240k on it (severe
blow-by with oil coming out of the dip stick and getting the alternator
oily).
Marvin
meyer stratford.webgate.net



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:11:51 -0400
From: Marvin & Michelle Meyer
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Tranny question

That's a tuff one Dave;
if you have to remove from donor and install into your 4x then for $150
get it rebuilt you remove and you install. = cheaper than stuck on road
with someone's word that they cannot remember
Marvin
meyer stratford.webgate.net



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:45:12 EDT
From: OldTrux aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - P/S conversion

In a message dated 9/13/99 11:18:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
duckdon pacific.net writes:
>If you really want to keep the leaf spring suspension use
a box such as the ones used on 78-79 F-250 4x4.
> Didn't Ford use the radius arm/coil suspension in 66 for the 4x4's?

Yes, and the manual steering box mounts outside the frame with the pitman arm
pointing to the rear. A GM (Saginaw) box looks like it would bolt right in.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:45:33 EDT
From: OldTrux aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - P/S conversion

In a message dated 9/13/99 11:18:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
duckdon pacific.net writes:
>If you really want to keep the leaf spring suspension use
a box such as the ones used on 78-79 F-250 4x4.
> Didn't Ford use the radius arm/coil suspension in 66 for the 4x4's?

Yes, and the manual steering box mounts outside the frame with the pitman arm
pointing to the rear. A GM (Saginaw) box looks like it would bolt right in.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:10:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: jayson spangler
Subject: FTE 61-79 - steering column, brake booster 78

Hello all,

I'm new to the list and pretty impressed. Most of you know more
about Ford Trucks than I ever thought of knowing. That's why I hope
someone can help me out. I have a 78 I converted to power steering.
It was then I found out the column was now too long (so much for
thinking ahead). Now I can't find a column. The truck's a 3 on the
tree and there are none of them around here (MO). Any place out
there I could get a good used one?
Also, when I add power brakes, do I need more than just a booster?

Jayson Spangler
78 Ford F100 SWB







_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:05:37 -0700
From: "Chris Samuel"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - 75 F250 4x4 steering

What parts are required to convert the Hyd assist to the Integral Power
Steering box?
Ok, the Steering Gearbox itself off of a 78-79 up?
The Pitman Arm, Tie Rod/Drag Link, Hoses.
I figure that the frame will take a touch of fabrication which is no big
deal.
Eventually I will replace the closed knuckle D44, with an open Knuckle
Reverse Rotation D60. As the D60 is going to be from a later Mdl. Truck
should I simply wait to convert or are the Tie Rod lengths the same?

Due to an overactive "Delete Finger" I quite by accident deleted the digest
that contained someone's most gracious offer to tell me how to fix the AMP
gauge in my truck.
Would you please do so who ever you are!

Muel


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:17:39 -0700
From: Don Grossman
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - P/S conversion

OldTrux aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/13/99 11:18:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
> duckdon pacific.net writes:
> >If you really want to keep the leaf spring suspension use
> a box such as the ones used on 78-79 F-250 4x4.
> > Didn't Ford use the radius arm/coil suspension in 66 for the 4x4's?
>
> Yes, and the manual steering box mounts outside the frame with the pitman arm
> pointing to the rear. A GM (Saginaw) box looks like it would bolt right in.

So you do have the coil suspension. Just use a 1/2 4x4 steering box from a 70's
F-100/150. I thought you were talking about the pitman arm moving from front to
rear. My bad. I am using a 77 box with a 78 drop pitman arm. all you have to
do is maybe drill 2 holes and use the backing plate from the donor truck (if you
use a Ford box.)
- --
Don Grossman
duckdon pacific.net
99 Contour
63 F-100 4x4
43 GPW


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:22:21 -0700
From: Don Grossman
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - steering column, brake booster 78

jayson spangler wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Also, when I add power brakes, do I need more than just a booster?
>
> Jayson Spangler
> 78 Ford F100 SWB
>

You will need to get the rod from the booster to the brake pedal and the
adjuster from the booster to M/C.

- --
Don Grossman
duckdon pacific.net
99 Contour
63 F-100 4x4
43 GPW


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:28:34 -0700
From: Don Grossman
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 75 F250 4x4 steering

Chris Samuel wrote:

> What parts are required to convert the Hyd assist to the Integral Power
> Steering box?
> Ok, the Steering Gearbox itself off of a 78-79 up?

Just 77-1/2 to 79

> The Pitman Arm, Tie Rod/Drag Link, Hoses.

You might get away with using the old hose but for $30 or so you might as well
get a new one

>
> I figure that the frame will take a touch of fabrication which is no big
> deal.
> Eventually I will replace the closed knuckle D44, with an open Knuckle
> Reverse Rotation D60. As the D60 is going to be from a later Mdl. Truck
> should I simply wait to convert or are the Tie Rod lengths the same?

If you go with a late 70's D60 the length should be about the same. Keep in
mind that 80's and up D60's use a wider spring spacing. 76-79 D60's would be
almost a complete bolt in, except if you are going from drum to disk brakes,
but that is another story.

>
>
> Muel
>

Laters
- --
Don Grossman
duckdon pacific.net
99 Contour
63 F-100 4x4
43 GPW


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 00:07:11 EDT
From: TBeeee aol.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - 1966 Engine Rebuild Project....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.