From: owner-61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com (61-79-list-digest)
To: 61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 61-79-list-digest V3 #262
Reply-To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


61-79-list-digest Wednesday, July 28 1999 Volume 03 : Number 262



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961-1979 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 61-79 - Surging truck
FTE 61-79 - Can I use/Steering column question
Re: FTE 61-79 - Can I use/Steering column question
FTE 61-79 - '68 F-100 project
FTE 61-79 - floor shifter
Re: FTE 61-79 - Floor Shifter ? 78 F-150
Re: FTE 61-79 - dash lights
RE: FTE 61-79 - Motor Choices all kinds of em...
FTE 61-79 - Predator Carberator
FTE 61-79 - Various
FTE 61-79 - Predator Carberator
FTE 61-79 - Late model factory rims
Re: FTE 61-79 - Various
FTE 61-79 - stealing your own truck
FTE 61-79 - anti theft devices
FTE 61-79 - steering column
FTE 61-79 - antenna
FTE 61-79 - exhaust & engine sound
FTE 61-79 - compact spare
Re: FTE 61-79 - stealing your own truck
Re: FTE 61-79 - anti theft devices
FTE 61-79 - air intake
FTE 61-79 - hot truck
FTE 61-79 - VERY LARGE Pickup-Style Body
Re: FTE 61-79 - 1978 and JC Whitney Overhead speakers
FTE 61-79 - air intake
Re: FTE 61-79 - air intake
RE: FTE 61-79 - Various
Re: FTE 61-79 - Floor Shifter ? 78 F-150
RE: FTE 61-79 - Hot truck (LONG)
Re: FTE 61-79 - floor shifter
Re: FTE 61-79 - Floor Shifter ? 78 F-150
Re: FTE 61-79 - Was Various--Now C6 vs. Cruise-O-Matic ID
RE: FTE 61-79 - Was Various--Now C6 vs. Cruise-O-Matic ID
Re: FTE 61-79 - 1978 and JC Whitney Overhead speakers
FTE 61-79 - Brake lights.
Re: FTE 61-79 - dash lights
Re: FTE 61-79 - 1978 and JC Whitney Overhead speakers
FTE 61-79 - Engine won't crank..kinda long
Re: FTE 61-79 - Engine won't crank..kinda long

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:47:14 -0500
From: "Shane"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Surging truck

I had a problem that sounds just like that. I would suggest that it is the
accelerator pump inside of the carberator.


Shane




- ----- Original Message -----
From: Sam Weatherby
To: trucks
Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 10:42 AM
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Surging truck


> I noticed a slight surging in my truck one day.
> It wouldn't start the next day.
> Later I got it to start, but it only ran as long as I was quickly pumping
> the gas.
> After some effort it now runs pumping the gas moderately.
> I will run at without constant pumping if I have some speed but,
> now it surges quite a bit when driving at a constant speed.
>
> Any ideas what this could be caused by?
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 06:26:16 -0400
From: Joe & Jen DeLaurentis
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Can I use/Steering column question

Group,
can I use a 68 2wd auto steering column in my 68 4x4 truck???I swapped
the
4sspd for a c-6 but need a column...will this work???
Joe

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 07:31:01 EDT
From: TBeeee aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Can I use/Steering column question

In a message dated 7/27/99 6:37:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, shoman p3.net
writes:

> can I use a 68 2wd auto steering column in my 68 4x4 truck???I swapped
> the 4sspd for a c-6 but need a column...will this work???

Joe: You will have to swap the shaft from the 4x4 into the other column.
Everything else will work fine otherwise. While yuor in there you will want
to check the bearings.

Stock Man
1967 Galaxie 500 Convertible (HELP!---I need 15 x5 factory rims)
1967 F-250 FE 390 4wd
www.hometown.aol.com/tbeeee
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:08:36 -0500
From: John Strauss
Subject: FTE 61-79 - '68 F-100 project

>I bought an incredibly straight 68 F-100 with a Lincoln 429 and a 4x4. I
>want to trash the 4 speed and add air. I can purchase another good looking
>68 F-100 with factory air and a 390 automatic. My question is this; would
>it be more of a hassle to change the transmissions in the two trucks than
>what it's worth, or should I just by a used C-7 somewhere and stick that
>in? The second F-100 has some better interior and trim pieces, and the air
>too. I just don't know how hard it would be to change the automatic to a 4
>speed for resale later. Also is the stock automatic behind the 390 tough
>enough to handle the 429?...will it even bolt up? Any and all comments
>greatly appreciated. jc
>
The C6 from the 390 will not bolt up to the 429. But I wouldn't worry too
much about changing the automatic back to 4-speed later for resale since
the 429 is not an original engine choice for that year (or any year)
anyway. You would have to make sure you got a C6 that is compatible with
the transfer case, not sure how much trouble that would be.

I presume the second truck is 2wd? If so it probably comes down to whether
or not you want the 4x4. If that is not important, it would probably be
easier to go with the second truck. The second truck will most likely be
easier to keep "factory" if that is important to you. The 4x4 is already
starting out without a factory engine option. You can add air to your
current truck but you will find adding the factory air is a chore. It
would be much easier to get an aftermarket kit from somebody like Classic
Air.

I have a '68 F100 so feel free to email direct with any questions.
_
_| ~~. John Strauss
\, *_} jstrauss inetport.com
\( Texas Fight!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 06:09:41 PDT
From: "MARTY COLMAN"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - floor shifter

I would recommend a B&M Mega shifter. They make a light truck style that is
a little taller and works great in a pickup. I had one in a pickup in the
past and it worked great. It has an illuminated gear selector, a lockout
for park and reverse, reverse light switch, neutral safety switch, cable
operation and mounts to the floor with three bolt holes and one the size of
a nickel for the cable. It also converts between normal shifting (both have
park and reverse lockout) and racheting action (from drive - pull it back as
hard as you can and it will only go one gear per pull - same forward).

It's in the Jegs performance catalog (www.jegs.com) for $159.

There are other shifters available from B&M and Hurst, but this is the best
IMHO. Especially because it is taller and made to not hit the dash or seat
in a truck. I loved mine and would get another one if the situation arises.

Marty Colman


_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:43:17 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Floor Shifter ? 78 F-150

At 01:08 AM 7/27/99 , you wrote:
>Was it a 60 or 70's mustang?
>
>
>> I used a floor shifter out of an early Mustang to shift the C6 in my
>> 1970 F100.
>>
Early = 65-73 ... Cougars also used the same gear shift, I'm sure a number
of others with floor shifts did as well ... though I can't think of any off
hand...you can get them from aftermarket places in the 'stang rags too ...
I would worry that the shifter is going to be REALLY short, maybe something
with a longer reach is in order ? Also you're worried about cutting a
hole, I assume that means you've got a 4x2 ... maybe if you grabbed a 4x4
floor section (they just bolt in) you wouldn't feel as bad getting a
shifter that needed a larger hole ... that or one from a manual tranny may
also be used, just have to check the heights...

Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:51:13 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - dash lights

>I was wondering if there is interior backlighting on the guages in a
>76' F-250. I know this is a stupid question but I purchased a truck and
>it doesn't have any.
>

Yeah it should definitely have gauge lights ... there should be a few of
them on the back of the inst. cluster, don't remember how many there are
though ...

If none of them are working (how about the gear shift indicator if its an
auto?) then I would look at the dimmer switch first, its a part of the
headlight switch, try moving the dimmer back and forth a few times and see
if the lights will flicker at all ... if not, pull the switch out and see
if that is all coroded, if it is, either get another rotor or try your best
to clean it up (steel wool will get you started) ... usually if they're
all out its not the bulbs, but don't forget to check them at some point
just to be sure.


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:02:47 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Motor Choices all kinds of em...

>To expand on this thread, I have a couple of questions of my own:
>
>1) I have a '73 F-250 2wd, with 360, and cruise-o-matic (according to the
>orig. owner's manual). Is this trans a C6?
>
AFAIK that is the only choice on the FE series motors, that may not hold
true for the older ones, but with a 3/4ton and a V8, I'd lean towards it
being a C6, check the pan shape to be sure ...


>2) Is the bellhousing bolt pattern compatible with newer trannies, i.e.,
>E4OD? If not, is there an adapter available?
>
No, its not compatible with anything other than an FE pattern from what
I've seen, definitely not any of the OD trannies. Kind of a stumbling
block, I would love to have an OD on mine but this has always managed to
slow me down a lot with that project.

>3) If I swap to a later 460/E4OD, are there headers that will fit my truck?

Should be, they seem to make 460 headers for almost any vehicle.

If you find a way to use the OD tranny with the FE lemme know, I'm
interested, but can't seem to get the time to really research it...


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:43:49 -0500
From: JOHN E DOLSON
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Predator Carberator

A friend of mine recommended using a Predator carberator on my 78 351 M.
I
am looking for some input from people on these carberators?

if I remember right, these carbs are nice because they have a variable
venturi that allows you to change/control the cfm. but they also have a
reputation for using tons of gas, they prettymuch just dump gas down the
intake, from what I hear. they are very simple carbs.

___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:11:54 -0400
From: am14 daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Various

Steve writes: >>
1) I have a '73 F-250 2wd, with 360, and cruise-o-matic (according to the
orig. owner's manual). Is this trans a C6?

No!!! Cruise-O-Matics are the forerunners of the C6, and I don't remember when
they were introduced, but I thought it was prior to '73.

>>2) Is the bellhousing bolt pattern compatible with newer trannies, i.e.,
E4OD?

E4OD is not compatible with FE. (different bellhousing bolt patterns)

>>If not, is there an adapter available?

I don't know, but I would think so.

>>3) If I swap to a later 460/E4OD, are there headers that will fit my truck?

I don't know again, but I would think so.

>>I plan to keep this truck for a long time, and while I like the FE, I would
like to have the newer OD trans, using a Baumann controller. I would
probably look for a 390, if the trans would mate with it.

All FE's carry compatible bolt patterns and the FE's are:

332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, and 428.

There are some FT's also that are compatible bolt pattern wise.
331, 361, 391, And I'm not sure how many more.

Azie
Ardmore, Al.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:28:43 -0600
From: "Dave Resch"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Predator Carberator

>From: "Shane"
>Subject: FTE 61-79 - Predator Carberator
>
>A friend of mine recommended using a
>Predator carberator on my 78 351 M. I
>am looking for some input from people
>on these carberators?

Yo Shane:

A Predator carburetor is not appropriate for a 351M, unless you have done a lot
of major high performance modifications to the engine and you are winding it up
to over 7K rpm. For more info about these carbs, check out their web site at:
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.predatorcarb.com/

Otherwise, if you are using your 351M like a truck engine and limiting your
maximum rpm to about 5K, you'll do fine w/ a garden variety 4V carburetor
(Carter, Edelbrock, or Holley) rated for 600-750 cfm, which you can buy for
about half the price of a Predator. If you really want to get fancy, get the
garden variety carb and then pay a good tuner w/ a dynamometer to set it up
properly for your truck/engine combo and it'll cost about as much as a Predator
and run a heck of a lot better.

Dave R (M-block devotee)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:38:39 PDT
From: "steve potratz"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Late model factory rims

Marty wrote:
From: "MARTY COLMAN"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Re: late model factory rims

I don't know much about backspacing, but I do know of a '79 F150 4x4 that
has the early '80's spoked wheels with beauty rings, that you are
discussing. I don't know what he had to do to get it to work, maybe he has
a spacer or something, I just have seen it around town a few times.

Steve wrote:

If the wheels were 7" then they fit fine. The 8" wide Bronco rims are the
problem. The 79 and earlier style factory spoke rims will take the new
chrome center piece and trim rings and look basicly the same.

Steve
78 f150 4wd supercab
71 f100 swb 460
71 Tbird sport coupe 429


_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:11:49 -0700
From: Dennis Pearson
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Various

Thanks for your message at 12:11 PM 7/27/99 -0400,
am14 daimlerchrysler.com. Your message was:
>Steve writes: >>
>1) I have a '73 F-250 2wd, with 360, and cruise-o-matic (according to the
>orig. owner's manual). Is this trans a C6?
>
>No!!! Cruise-O-Matics are the forerunners of the C6, and I don't remember
when
>they were introduced, but I thought it was prior to '73.

While we are on this, how close is the FMX to the Cruise-o-matic? I've
been confused about this transmission for some time...
but what's new?


Dennis Pearson in Kennewick, WA

1962 Unibody, short box, big window--351C
1966 F250 Custom Cab, 352, 4-speed
1962 short stepside (big empty space under the hood)
I shortened this to only FT's

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://home.att.net/~dlpearson/levi.htm
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:47:36 -0500
From: "John LaGrone"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - stealing your own truck

>>They actually apprehended me once because they thought I was
stealing my own vehicle :)

Well, Bas, I was almost arrested for stealing my own vehicle, too. It was
about 2 a.m. in a hospital parking lot with my 61 Chry r. It wouldn't
start with the key, but you could raise the hood and squeeze the bendix to
make it start. My brother had parked my dad's new G#C pickup right next to
me. The flashlight was in there. I was barely 20 years old, I had the doors
open on the truck, the hood and door open on my car, 2 in the morning......
I think you get the picture. Luckily I had keys to both of these and the car
my mom was driving which was three cars over. The guard (Who was driving a
66 F100, FTE content) was very understanding and let me go with a "stupid
kid" look.

- -- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:46:47 -0500
From: "John LaGrone"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - anti theft devices

>>I would give a thief the radio to leave the rest alone,
but the damage that is done could be $$$$$

My sentiments exactly. Every convertible I ever owned I always left
unlocked. One of my coworkers thought I was crazy. I told him that all you
need to break in is a pocket knife. If someone wants what is inside, they
can have it. Whatever it is, it's not worth a $600 top. As it turned out
over time, the only top I ever lost was to the neighbor's cat.

A good, inexpensive anti-theft device that comes highly recommended by our
local law enforcement agencies is a hidden kill switch located under the
dash somewhere. I had one that engaged the nuetral safety switch when turned
on. The car would not start in any gear. I don't know that much about hot
wiring an ignition. This setup may not help. Of course a real theif who
wants your truck will get it. Most anti-theft devices will discourage casual
thieves and joy riders only, which is mostly who you want to defeat.

- -- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:48:21 -0500
From: "John LaGrone"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - steering column

Hey Darrell,

Sorry to hear about the steering column problems. When you look for steering
coloumns, don't over look full sized cars. there is a good chance that one
from say a Towncar or LTD/Crown Vic will fit. With the 4x4, maybe not. I
once put a tilt column from a 73 B*#ck El&ctr into a 69 Ch&bbie 1/2 ton 2x.
Worked like a charm. Followed it with 6 way power seat from a 72 El&ctr .
That was one comfy ride! When I eventually replace the seat in Henry, I am
going to look for a six way power seat out of a passenger car. I have also
considered snagging a passenger car steering wheel with the cruise control
buttons, but haven't yet.

- -- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:45:43 -0500
From: "John LaGrone"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - antenna

>>The do sell a behind the dash antenna for this reason.

I have not seen one of these nor checked lately, but at one time you could
buy a stick-on antenna that ran across the top of your windshield like the
ones that were built into the glass in the late 70s GM cars. You should also
be able to find luggage racks that double as an antenna.

As someone else said, the metal of your truck is actually half of your
antenna. We use dipole antennas, half of which is the mast and the vehicle
is the other half. The electrical length of an antenna determines which
frequency it works best on. The best antenna is one where the dipole is
exactly the same length as one wave length, usually not practical,
particularly in mobile applications Next best is a half wave, then a quarter
wave, then an eighth wave. The quarter wave is the most common.

- -- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:57:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bas van der Veer
Subject: FTE 61-79 - exhaust & engine sound

After all the talk about engine sound I decided to sample some of my
engine's idling sound. Maybe at some point I'll do driving by but the
idea to leave my camera on the side of the street is not too appealing,
not to mention what the neighbours will think :)

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://bas.8m.com/truck/

The sound page is temporarily on http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://huizen.dds.nl/~yl/sound/ because the
other server was out of disk space (the 8m.com is the permanent address
and currently links to dds.nl)

Bas.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:59:49 -0500
From: "John LaGrone"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - compact spare

>>> The problem is that i have no easy place to carry a spare that big when I
am
> hauling my camper.
I always put a spare on the roof as well as used the rear spare hanger under
the bed. Two is better than one. It does make it fun getting it up and
down but beats being stranded somewhere.

IMHO opinion, a better option than a smaller diameter tire would be a
narrower tire of the same diameter. It should fit the under bed carrier
without modification and not get drug off hitting bottom. The bigger
diameter should have the load rating you need, too.

Other options:
1. put it on the front bumper (ugly, but functional)
2. put it on the hood (ditto)
3. adapt some sort of outside rear carrier like a van or a Bronco.
4. Put it in the camper loose, but lying flat (a royal PITA when you stop to
camp at night)

- -- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:05:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bas van der Veer
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - stealing your own truck

> >>They actually apprehended me once because they thought I was
> stealing my own vehicle :)
>
> Well, Bas, I was almost arrested for stealing my own vehicle, too. It was
> about 2 a.m. in a hospital parking lot with my 61 Chry r. It wouldn't

Yeah in the end you're glad there actually is somebody keeping an eye on
your vehicle, but at the time it isn't so funny. In my case I just got
off the train and the little band in my walkman was worn out so I was
sitting in my truck getting it out so I could stop at the store and get a
new one. Then all of a sudden there was this BRIGHT light shining into my
face.. man those things are like sunbeams.

Anyway back to the mechanics :)
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:29:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bas van der Veer
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - anti theft devices

> >>I would give a thief the radio to leave the rest alone,
> but the damage that is done could be $$$$$
>
> My sentiments exactly. Every convertible I ever owned I always left
> unlocked. One of my coworkers thought I was crazy. I told him that all you
> need to break in is a pocket knife. If someone wants what is inside, they
> can have it. Whatever it is, it's not worth a $600 top. As it turned out
> over time, the only top I ever lost was to the neighbor's cat.

A friend of mine did the same thing, doors were open, yet they still cut
through the roof to get in. Says something about the IQ of the average thief.

> A good, inexpensive anti-theft device that comes highly recommended by our
> local law enforcement agencies is a hidden kill switch located under the

With the IQ of the thief, just mount the lock upside down and he'll never
figure out he has to turn the other way :)

> dash somewhere. I had one that engaged the nuetral safety switch when turned
> on. The car would not start in any gear. I don't know that much about hot

It only takes one jumper wire to get it going though.. would be better to
do something to the ignition (if it can be done w/o sacrifising
performance) and put the switch inside the frame under the vehicle. Then
of course you have to make sure it does not corrode. I guess that's with
any anti theft device, they're a pain to live with and you never know if
you're going to work. How many people lost the key to their locking nuts
(or what are they called, to prevent wheel/tire theft)

> wiring an ignition. This setup may not help. Of course a real theif who
> wants your truck will get it. Most anti-theft devices will discourage casual
> thieves and joy riders only, which is mostly who you want to defeat.

A real thief wouldn't mess with a 20 year old vehicle to begin with,
they'd only go for the more serious bucks.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:48:04 -0500
From: "John LaGrone"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - air intake

>> I said:
I think one reason my 351M
>performs as well as it does is because I have the original air cleaner
>complete with functional cold air ram from in front of the radiator.
Bas replied:
Hmm, my intake is actually right of the radiator.

Ah, the nuamces of English! You are correct, Bas, my air intake is to the
right side of the radiator. What I really meant was that the engine is
breathing ambient air that has not been heated by passing through the
radiator.

- -- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:11:06 -0500
From: "John LaGrone"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - hot truck

Bas,

If you have air conditioning, be sure the condenser (the coils in front of
the radiator) is clean. If these coils are full of bugs or other debris, you
are never going to get your truck to cool correctly. If you have some sort
of bug screen or non-stock air deflector, take that off, too.

You checked your fan clutch? If it does not work correctly, it can actually
create turbulence in the air flow pattern while you are going down the road.
Be sure you didn't put the fan on backwards if you have a flex and spacer.
(Yea, I did this once, too.)

I'm just about out of ideas

- -- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:25:20 -0500
From: "John LaGrone"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - VERY LARGE Pickup-Style Body

>> you shouldnt need a special license to drive anything if its under your
name...

Varies from state to state. For instance, I can't drive a motorcycle on the
street nor an 18 wheeler nor a taxicab. In this case, the truck is probably
small enough to not require extra licensing, but assuming you can drive
something because you own it......

- -- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:26:15 EDT
From: WEDIVE247 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 1978 and JC Whitney Overhead speakers

In a message dated 99-07-27 01:02:42 EDT, you write:

>

I was wondering the same thing but for a 64 model ??
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:25:45 -0501
From:
Subject: FTE 61-79 - air intake

>Ah, the nuamces of English! You are correct, Bas, my air intake is to
>the
>right side of the radiator. What I really meant was that the engine is
>breathing ambient air that has not been heated by passing through
>the
>radiator.

John,
I have been wondering how effective this really is. Can I talk you into
running a couple of tanks with the air cleaner getting its air from inside
the engine compartment and seeing how your gas mileage changes?
Bryan Kirking
66 Step Side
352 FE, 4 speed
Houston, Texas


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:30:23 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - air intake

>John,
> I have been wondering how effective this really is. Can I talk you into
>running a couple of tanks with the air cleaner getting its air from inside
>the engine compartment and seeing how your gas mileage changes?

Just look at people's quarter mile times and such ... they will drop if
several runs are made in quick succession without cooldown periods ...
during autocrossing they found that putting the headlights up on a miata
(old style) would reduce intake temps by 15deg! So then everyone decided
they needed that extra one or 2 horses and ran that way ...

I'm not sure how much this will really affect gas mileage, but if it
affects hp that drastically it will probably translate to one or two mpg ...


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:47:27 -0700
From: "Steve Schwartz"
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Various

Well, now I am confused. My owner's manual calls my trans a
"Cruise-o-Matic". If it's not a C6, what would they have called the C6?

Does anyone here know what trans came in a '73 F-250?

Anyway, I saw a 429/C6 for sale today. Claims low mileage, $500 for both.
What mounts do I need for my truck, and will it require drivevshaft mods?

Thanks for everyone's help,

Steve

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-61-79-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-61-79-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of
> am14 daimlerchrysler.com
> Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 9:12 AM
> To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE 61-79 - Various
>
>
> Steve writes: >>
> 1) I have a '73 F-250 2wd, with 360, and cruise-o-matic (according to the
> orig. owner's manual). Is this trans a C6?
>
> No!!! Cruise-O-Matics are the forerunners of the C6, and I don't
> remember when
> they were introduced, but I thought it was prior to '73.
>
> >>2) Is the bellhousing bolt pattern compatible with newer trannies, i.e.,
> E4OD?
>
> E4OD is not compatible with FE. (different bellhousing bolt patterns)
>
> >>If not, is there an adapter available?
>
> I don't know, but I would think so.
>
> >>3) If I swap to a later 460/E4OD, are there headers that will
> fit my truck?
>
> I don't know again, but I would think so.
>
> >>I plan to keep this truck for a long time, and while I like the
> FE, I would
> like to have the newer OD trans, using a Baumann controller. I would
> probably look for a 390, if the trans would mate with it.
>
> All FE's carry compatible bolt patterns and the FE's are:
>
> 332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, and 428.
>
> There are some FT's also that are compatible bolt pattern wise.
> 331, 361, 391, And I'm not sure how many more.
>
> Azie
> Ardmore, Al.
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:55:44 -0500
From: "Jason & Kathy Kendrick"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Floor Shifter ? 78 F-150

Shane wrote:
>
> Was it a 60 or 70's mustang?
>
> Shane




I beleive it was a late 60's Mustang. However, you have to cut a
considerable hole in the floorboard. If you use a B&M shifter, the hole
in the floor only has to be big enough for a cable.
Jason
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:18:03 -0700
From: "Steve Schwartz"
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Hot truck (LONG)

Right, as I stated in an earlier post, it IS counter-intuitive.

I'm not saying that there should be NO difference in temp between inlet and
outlet, just that cooling is increased as the difference gets smaller. This
happens with higher flow. The thermostat does reduce flow, but within the
cooling system's design parameters. On some engines it also provides enough
backpressure to keep the pump from cavitating. Its REAL purpose is to
provide quick warmup and temperature regulation, to keep the engine
operating at its design temperature.

A decent cooling system should be able to cool the engine temp down below
180 deg on the hottest possible day - with the thermostat stuck open. A
good thermostat would then do its job by closing enough to RAISE the temp to
190, 195, or whatever the design temp is.

In the real world, scale building up in the block and radiator increases the
thermal resistance between the water, block and radiator, and not enough
heat is removed to maintain the needed efficiency. So idling in traffic in
Arizona, your truck tends to overheat, even with a good thermostat. Some
engines can operate without a thermostat, and so the little bit of extra
flow helps hide the basic problem - dirty block/radiator. This leads some
people to blame the thermostat, but all those engineers who designed the
cooling systems can't be THAT dumb.

As for flow, increasing the flow is like blowing harder on your soup spoon
to keep from getting tomato burns on your lips. You wouldn't whisper on it
to 'give the air more time to pick up the heat', would you? No, you'd do
the backwards Hoover thing to get as much heat away from the soup as
possible. This is EXACTLY the same as more water through the
engine/radiator. Granted, there is an extra step, because you are not
recirculating the air you are blowing on your soup very quickly (unless
you're in a closet), but in the end, the heat ends up in the surrounding
air, WHICH YOU ARE ALSO NOT RECIRCULATING VERY QUICKLY (unless you are in
the garage, where you might expire, and make this explanation unnecessary)!

As further evidence, consider a modern diagnostic tool, the infrared
pyrometer. This is a thermometer that measures temperature by "looking" at
an object. Cooling system guys use 'em measure the inlet and outlet side of
the radiator, and pronounce it plugged up IF THERE IS TOO MUCH DIFFERENCE IN
TEMPERATURE. This would imply that the water is flowing TOO SLOWLY. The
TEMPERATURE is increasing a lot, but the flow is so slow that the water
cannot carry enough HEAT away to cool the system.

I used to design machines to feed chemicals into heat exchangers/chillers to
prevent just this problem. Reduce the thermal resistance, and increase the
flow. The energy savings gained by keeping these things clean and open is
enormous. Enough to justify hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment
and chemicals just for this purpose.

Flow is KING!


Best,
Steve


> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-61-79-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-61-79-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of
> am14 daimlerchrysler.com
> Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 3:34 PM
> To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE 61-79 - Hot truck
>
>
> Steve writes: >>A good radiator will have high flow, and will not change
> temperature very
> much from inlet to outlet.
>
> Say What???????? I'm just an old country boy and I always
> thought I was a
> fairly good "shade tree" mechanic, but this is contradictory to my way of
> thinking. T'stats restrict flow (even when open, they are
> smaller than the neck
> wothout one), so you want some very distinct differences in
> radiator inlet and
> exit temps, or at least I do.
>
> Not to start a war or anything, nor do I even suggest to be
> educated in this
> realm, but I'm trying to apply "good old common horse sense" to this one.
>
> Azie
> Ardmore, Al.
>
>
>
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:00:49 -0500
From: "Shane"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - floor shifter

That looks like it is a very good option. I thank you for your time your
help is appreciated.


Shane




- ----- Original Message -----
From: MARTY COLMAN
To:
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 8:09 AM
Subject: FTE 61-79 - floor shifter


> I would recommend a B&M Mega shifter. They make a light truck style that
is
> a little taller and works great in a pickup. I had one in a pickup in the
> past and it worked great. It has an illuminated gear selector, a lockout
> for park and reverse, reverse light switch, neutral safety switch, cable
> operation and mounts to the floor with three bolt holes and one the size
of
> a nickel for the cable. It also converts between normal shifting (both
have
> park and reverse lockout) and racheting action (from drive - pull it back
as
> hard as you can and it will only go one gear per pull - same forward).
>
> It's in the Jegs performance catalog (www.jegs.com) for $159.
>
> There are other shifters available from B&M and Hurst, but this is the
best
> IMHO. Especially because it is taller and made to not hit the dash or
seat
> in a truck. I loved mine and would get another one if the situation
arises.
>
> Marty Colman
>
>
> _______________________________________________________________
> Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:14:46 -0500
From: "Shane"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Floor Shifter ? 78 F-150

I am not worried about cutting a whole because the whole is already there
the truck came with a 4 speed on the floor....


Shane




- ----- Original Message -----
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Floor Shifter ? 78 F-150


> At 01:08 AM 7/27/99 , you wrote:
> >Was it a 60 or 70's mustang?
> >
> >
> >> I used a floor shifter out of an early Mustang to shift the C6 in my
> >> 1970 F100.
> >>
> Early = 65-73 ... Cougars also used the same gear shift, I'm sure a number
> of others with floor shifts did as well ... though I can't think of any
off
> hand...you can get them from aftermarket places in the 'stang rags too ...
> I would worry that the shifter is going to be REALLY short, maybe
something
> with a longer reach is in order ? Also you're worried about cutting a
> hole, I assume that means you've got a 4x2 ... maybe if you grabbed a 4x4
> floor section (they just bolt in) you wouldn't feel as bad getting a
> shifter that needed a larger hole ... that or one from a manual tranny may
> also be used, just have to check the heights...
>
> Just my 2cents
>
> wish
>
> Links
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
> '73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
> '96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:14:57 EDT
From: TBeeee aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Was Various--Now C6 vs. Cruise-O-Matic ID

In a message dated 7/27/99 6:42:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ses home.com
writes:

> Well, now I am confused. My owner's manual calls my trans a
> "Cruise-o-Matic". If it's not a C6, what would they have called the C6?
>
> Does anyone here know what trans came in a '73 F-250?
>

The Cruise-O-Matic is a definite transmission type not just a Ford label for
the C6 or C4 (right CJ?). I have a scan on my web page which will help id
these different tranny types. Go to Transmission Identification then click
on the Automatic Transmission Link. I recommend you count pan bolts and
compare your transmission's pan to these scans.

Stock Man
1967 Galaxie 500 Convertible (HELP!---I need 15 x5 factory rims)
1967 F-250 FE 390 4wd
www.hometown.aol.com/tbeeee
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:39:52 -0700
From: "Steve Schwartz"
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Was Various--Now C6 vs. Cruise-O-Matic ID

Thanks, I will crawl under tomorrow.

Nice web page, BTW.

Best,
Steve

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-61-79-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-61-79-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of TBeeee aol.com
> Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 6:15 PM
> To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Was Various--Now C6 vs. Cruise-O-Matic ID
>
>
> In a message dated 7/27/99 6:42:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ses home.com
> writes:
>
> > Well, now I am confused. My owner's manual calls my trans a
> > "Cruise-o-Matic". If it's not a C6, what would they have
> called the C6?
> >
> > Does anyone here know what trans came in a '73 F-250?
> >
>
> The Cruise-O-Matic is a definite transmission type not just a
> Ford label for
> the C6 or C4 (right CJ?). I have a scan on my web page which
> will help id
> these different tranny types. Go to Transmission Identification
> then click
> on the Automatic Transmission Link. I recommend you count pan bolts and
> compare your transmission's pan to these scans.
>
> Stock Man
> 1967 Galaxie 500 Convertible (HELP!---I need 15 x5 factory rims)
> 1967 F-250 FE 390 4wd
> www.hometown.aol.com/tbeeee
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:57:53 EDT
From: IanBoss69 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 1978 and JC Whitney Overhead speakers

LMC is long motor company, here's the www adress...
www.longmotor.com

Ian
79 F250 4x4 4spd 351M
members.aol.com/ianboss69/page/home.htm
True Blue Ford Blue
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:19:23 -0600
From: Paul Sironen
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Brake lights.

I replaced my turn signal cam and now I have no brake lights and no
emergency flasher rear lights. The turn signals work fine and the front
emergency flasher lights work fine. This is on a '79 F-250 FWD with
cruise and tilt wheel. I have checked all the wires at the turn signal
switch and the only ones changed were the two on the turn signal cam.
Any suggestions?

PTS

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 00:48:24 EDT
From: GMontgo930 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - dash lights

Yes, there is. Probably your dash lamps are burned out but other
possibilities include wiring to, fuses, or even a bad light switch.

Looks like time to become familiar with the schematic, meter and your truck.

George

In a message dated 7/26/99 8:39:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
doom460 yahoo.com writes:


76' F-250. I know this is a stupid question but I purchased a truck and
it doesn't have any.
>>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 00:58:40 EDT
From: GMontgo930 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 1978 and JC Whitney Overhead speakers

Probibly one and the same, made by a third company selling through these two!

George

In a message dated 7/27/99 1:10:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
IanBoss69 aol.com writes:


truck catalog for a bit more money, wondering if they were the same or
theres a quality difference between JCW and LMC,,,,anybody???? >>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 01:15:11 EDT
From: IanBoss69 aol.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Engine won't crank..kinda long

Ok, i wrote awhile ago about my engine that decided to run fine for about a
month after I bought the truck,,,,started fine one morning, went to the
store, came back out, wouldnt start,,,,,large tow truck tried to jump
it,,,didnt work,,,guy said it was probably wa the starter,,,,got a new
starter,,,,didnt start, lights and radio seemed to shut off every time i
tried to crank the engine, but then would resume their normal operation if i
worked on the truck for awhile or left it alone then came back out, kept
going out every time i tried to start it,,,,took the NEW starter back to have
it tested, i talked with the parts guy, said it probably was the
solenoid,,,,replaced it,,,,no change,,,,replace all the 4 gauge battery
cables, ground wire, batt to solenoid, and solenoid to starter,,,,no
change,,,,took a set of jumpers and hooked one end to the starter terminal
and touched the other to the pos(+) side of the battery,,,nothing,,,took a
piece of the old batt wire (4 gauge) and attached one end to one side of the
solenoid,,,,touched the other with the other end of the
cable,,,,nothing,,,,,,solenoid does click when i turn the key to start
position though,
I turned the engine over by hand with a wrench, so engine is not locked
up,,,,,PLEASE help me, i need to get this fixed, its been 3 weeks
now,,,,,,and im getting frustrated,,,,

Ian
79 F250 4x4 4spd 351M
members.aol.com/ianboss69/page/home.htm
True Blue Ford Blue
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 01:28:09 EDT
From: GMontgo930 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Engine won't crank..kinda long....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.