From: owner-61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com (61-79-list-digest)
To: 61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 61-79-list-digest V3 #206
Reply-To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-61-79-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


61-79-list-digest Wednesday, June 16 1999 Volume 03 : Number 206



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961-1979 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 61-79 - air conditioning
Re: FTE 61-79 - Wiper problem
Re: FTE 61-79 - Power Disc Brakes
Re: FTE 61-79 - Power Disc Brakes
FTE 61-79 - 360 to 390
FTE 61-79 - timing marks
Re: FTE 61-79 - 360 to 390
Re: FTE 61-79 - 360 to 390
Re: FTE 61-79 - 360 to 390
Re: FTE 61-79 - Steering Wheel restoration
Re: FTE 61-79 - 1972 360cui
Re: FTE 61-79 - timing marks
Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes
Re: FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?
Re: FTE 61-79 - 1973 F-250 filler neck
Re: FTE 61-79 - A couple questions?
FTE 61-79 - smokeing 390
FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?
Re: FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?
Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes
Re: FTE 61-79 - 1973 F-250 filler neck
Re: FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?
Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes
FTE 61-79 - Re:5-spd. trannies
Re: FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?
Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes
Re: FTE 61-79 - Re:5-spd. trannies
FTE 61-79 - Re:5-spd. trannies
Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes
RE: FTE 61-79 - 1973 F-250 filler neck
Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes
Re: FTE 61-79 - RE:4spd/auto
Re: FTE 61-79 - Wiper problem
Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes
Re: FTE 61-79 - A couple questions?
Re: FTE 61-79 - Power Disc Brakes
Re: FTE 61-79 - RE:4spd/auto
Re: FTE 61-79 - Suprecab
FTE 61-79 - OD
RE: FTE 61-79 - Suprecab
FTE 61-79 - RE: tire sizes
RE: FTE 61-79 - RE: tire sizes
FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?
FTE 61-79 - double post and V10
FTE 61-79 - paint prep
FTE 61-79 - Tranny Question
Re: FTE 61-79 - Tranny Question
Re: FTE 61-79 - Tranny Question
Re: FTE 61-79 - Suprecab
FTE 61-79 - filler neck
FTE 61-79 -

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 03:27:34 -0500
From: "Jason & Kathy Kendrick"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - air conditioning

John LaGrone wrote:
>

> I'm still running R-12. I didn't have time to convert it myself and the shop
> wanted $700 to do it for me. They insisted my compressor, all hoses, and all
> O-rings would have to be replaced along with the dryer and the orifice tube.
> The $112 was $40 labor and 2.25 lbs. of freon 12.


I'd try another shop! I had mine converted for $160 !!!
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 03:31:34 -0500
From: "Jason & Kathy Kendrick"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Wiper problem

J.S.H. wrote:
>
> The wipers on the 84 I bought a week ago,(now I have 3 Ford Trucks:)
> only have the highest speed and don't park when shut off.
> Is it the switch or wiper motor?
> I should post this to the proper list,but I just like this list more.
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


Sounds like a switch, to me.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 03:33:48 -0500
From: "Jason & Kathy Kendrick"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Power Disc Brakes

Southerland, Rich wrote:
>
> What a coincidence! My father in law has a '67 F100 and wants disc brakes.
> Anyone know what year truck we need to get parts off of? He has a neighbor
> parting a '74 F100...


The discs off the '74 will work on the '67.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 03:38:17 -0500
From: "Jason & Kathy Kendrick"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Power Disc Brakes

Danger wrote:
>
> > My father in law has a '67 F100 and wants disc brakes.
> > Anyone know what year truck we need to get parts off of? He has a
> neighbor
> > parting a '74 F100...
> >

Discs from anything between '73 and '78 or '79 will fit '67 to '72
models.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:07:57 EDT
From: SMOKEY5209 aol.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - 360 to 390

I know this subject has been discussed before but I didn't pay much
attention. I had planned on just leaving my 360 the way it was. I have
finally decided to rebuild it to a 390. Could all you people of more wisdom
than I give me some of the how-to information. What will I need to do this
changeover? Will my heads and intake all fit with the changes etc. Any help
will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Ed
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:17:55 GMT
From: Brian Vance
Subject: FTE 61-79 - timing marks

Hey Gang-
So how do I turn my 351M over to find those timing marks. Can't I put a
wrench on the crank somewhere?

Brian Vance
77 F250


_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:49:48 EDT
From: TBeeee aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 360 to 390

As a good first start I would invest in Steve Christ's Book, "How to rebuild
your Big Block Ford." It was recently discussed about a week to ten days
ago. This book is very thorough and has great information and will help you
understand the basics of rebuilding a very solid stock engine. Worth reading
for anyone interested in the FE Series engine.

Stock Man
1967 Galaxie 500 Convertible (in need of factory rims)
1967 F-250 FE 390 4wd
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.aol.com/tbeeee/page/index.htm
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:49:48 EDT
From: TBeeee aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 360 to 390

As a good first start I would invest in Steve Christ's Book, "How to rebuild
your Big Block Ford." It was recently discussed about a week to ten days
ago. This book is very thorough and has great information and will help you
understand the basics of rebuilding a very solid stock engine. Worth reading
for anyone interested in the FE Series engine.

Stock Man
1967 Galaxie 500 Convertible (in need of factory rims)
1967 F-250 FE 390 4wd
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.aol.com/tbeeee/page/index.htm
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:18:10 -0400
From: tfreeman murphyfarms.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 360 to 390

Ed,

This is easy to do if you're doing a full rebuild. All you need is the crank,
rods and pistons for a 390. All of the other parts should work. If you want to
do one better, slap a 428 crank, rods and 410 pistons in and you'll have a 410.
I hope to have my 410 together by the end of summer. My 410 started life as a
very tired 360.


- -Ted






SMOKEY5209 aol.com on 06/16/99 07:07:57 AM

Please respond to 61-79-list ford-trucks.com

To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
cc: (bcc: Ted Freeman/MURPHY_FAMILY_FARMS)
Subject: FTE 61-79 - 360 to 390




I know this subject has been discussed before but I didn't pay much
attention. I had planned on just leaving my 360 the way it was. I have
finally decided to rebuild it to a 390. Could all you people of more wisdom
than I give me some of the how-to information. What will I need to do this
changeover? Will my heads and intake all fit with the changes etc. Any help
will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Ed
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html










== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:55:34 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Steering Wheel restoration

>There was an article about 2 years ago in Custom Classic Trucks on how to
>restore a Ford steering wheel. It gave blow by blow instructions and
>pictures. It also gave the part numbers from the manufacturer of the the
>materials. If you can't find it, I might be able to dig it up for you if I
>still have it.
>
Hey if you could dig that up, I'd be very interested ... it seems like
there was one in Mustang Monthly a long time ago, but I've got nearly 10
years (wow 10 years???) of that stacked in the corner, so finding it could
take a while, and its at home.

I'll have a look this weekend to see if I can find that article, but if
not I'm interested in this steering wheel restoration as well. There are
no good wheels left around here without going to some incredibly small
newer style wheel ... not what I want or need right now.


Thanks,
wish
73ish F-1?? 4x4
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
96 Mustang GT
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:58:56 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 1972 360cui

>I used contact cement to glue the cork gaskets to the block which seems to
>work quite well along with a large gob of RTV in the corners where the
>gaskets interlock.

The cork gaskets I just tossed and followed the advice of someone on the
list....first I put a bead of RTV where the gasket would normally
sit...then I let that cure overnight, then next day I put on another bead
on top of the old one ... let that cure for a few minutes, then set the
intake manifold on the motor. Its much easier to set the manifold on
properly with an engine hoist than your back ... trust me I've done it
twice with the back method ... also removing the waterpump might make it
easier as you wouldn't have to mess with the short hose between the intake
and water pump.


> The water ports should each have sealer on both sides of
>the gasket as well.
>
This I've never done, but always seen reference to it ... dunno why I've
never tried it, but I've never had any problems with it either ... watch
now that I say that I will.


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:08:59 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - timing marks

At 06:17 AM 6/16/99 , you wrote:
>Hey Gang-
>So how do I turn my 351M over to find those timing marks. Can't I put a
>wrench on the crank somewhere?
>
You should be able to put a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt, in the
center of the crank pulley ... failing that, just reach up and grab the
crank pulley :) Or if all else fails, hook up a remote starter, be
absolutely sure the truck will not move, and just use the switch to "bump"
the motor over a little at a time until you get the marks where you can see
them (on the bottom was Azie's suggestion I think, I'm a bit on the tall
side and don't mind the reach over the fender most days)


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:17:23 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes

>my 79 F-250 is fitted with 31X9" tires on 17" 8-lug "steelies." In addition
>to looking like crap they look too skinny because the truck rides so high,
>i'd like to upgrade to 33x10 or 11.5 " tires with 16" wheels, problem is i
>don't want to order 1000 bucks worth on tires and then have to turn around
>and put a 400 dollar lift kit on it for them to fit, anybody know what size
>tire will fit?

I can't tell you for sure what tires will fit (the off-road list probably
can), but I can safely say I ran 31x10.5x15's on my truck for 6 years with
no problems, I would think a 3/4 ton like yours could run 33's without
incident ... the real question is, do you have 16" rims that fit on your
truck ? I've heard of 3/4tons having problems with the front caliper and
the rim meeting each other on rims that are too small ... This also
explains why I can never find tires quite like my sister's, hers are 16s
and I never even though to look at what sizes were available, I'd love a
31x9 tire, but they don't make them for 15 rims ... Wide may seem like a
good idea, but wider is not always better (as GM would have you believe:)
... with the wider tires I was sliding all over the place in the snow ...
not good when you're trying to get 3 hours in a blizzard to be home for
xmas ... I made it, but we still don't know how, even the highway patrol
man I talked to at the gas station wished me luck, that's when I knew I was
in trouble...


> i planned to put a 2-4" rear
>lift kit on it to make up for the difference, or get higher arch leafsprings.
> the truck has 3.9 0 gears would i need lower gears if i went to 33" from
>31"? how much would the cruise rpm change?

2" doesn't amount to a lot of change really, and the tires are listed for
"optimum" size, the ones you get may be a bit over or a bit under... I
wouldn't expect a lot of change, maybe a hundred revs at the outside,
depending how fast you drive.

>79 F250 4x4 4spd 351W
>
with a 4spd, the loss of revs at the low end will probably not be as big of
a deal at all, my 360 had problems, but it was tired and worn out.


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:20:04 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?

>(PS- IJ, CJ, and WISH, if nothing else comes up, we are on if you guys still
>are)
>
I'm still up for it, and if whoever gets your truck out of MT doesn't make
it all the way to Ohio, consider my place as a potential drop point if you
want ... I can always get dad's trailer and make the run on a long weekend
sometime ... I'm in the middle of Iowa, so if I can help relay it over to
Tony let me know, if the truck runs we can even meet somewhere at a rest
stop or whatever and off load it from your trailer onto mine, I just need a
week or so notice ...


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:22:49 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 1973 F-250 filler neck

>I have a 1973 F-250 w/Explorer pkg, with a single, rear mounted gas tank.
>The filler neck is NOT behind an access door, i.e., it is almost flush with
>the rear, driver's side fender, behind the wheelwell.
>
Lots of us know what you're going through ... some moreso than others ..

>Does anyone have, or know of, an UNLEADED filler neck, perhaps from a later
>truck, that will fit this type of setup?
>
Hmmm...never really considered this option ... you might check with JC
witless and see if theirs are for unleaded or not ...

Also remember that there are 2 different styles of filler neck, one has the
vent hose in front of the filler tube, the other has it behind the tube ...
be sure this hose is not plugged or full of liquid as the design kind of
lends to getting full and not emptying ... I'm not familiar with the
recapture "stuff" that is on those, but I can't imagine its any fun. Long
long ago they used to make a funnel for putting regular fuel in an unleaded
car ... maybe that same contraption would help you out here ?


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:28:23 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - A couple questions?

>them. First of all i am rebuilding a 390 and i am going to put a stall
>conveter in it, and i went to a store to try to order one and they said i
>needed to get information on the engine.

This is generally true .... what are your plans with this motor ? And what
sort of a vehicle is it going into ? The reason I ask is because a higher
stall converter could cause drivability problems around town. I considered
one for my truck, but in the end the old one was still good, and I couldn't
find anything that hit the stall in the range I needed (until after I put
it back together of course)

>compression going to be and stuff like that. But of course i couldn't
>remember what i all had to look for and i was to far away to turn around and
>go ask him so i thought i would ask u guys. So can u please tell me what
>kind of information should i need to get the right stall converter so it
>works right.

To me it seems to be more of a question of what you plan to use it for, if
you are just driving around town and stuff you won't need or want a higher
stall converter, if you are drag racing all the time and need more revs
when you launch, then maybe you'll want one ... but I think we all need
some more information ... you might check out www.bmracing.com they have
lots of information on torque converters and how to pick one that's right
for you.

I got one more question here for you. I am rebuilding a 66
>comet 2 door hardtop and i have been looking everywhere for quarter panels
>and i can't find them anywhere. If any of you know where i can get a pair
>please tell me the website or their phone number. Thanks for all of the
>help!!
>
Check autokrafters .... www.auto krafters. com I think ... or get a copy of
Hemmings motor news, your local bookstore should carry that one, its a
thick brown "book" probably on the magazine rack, comes out every month.


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 99 08:20:48 PDT
From: "jeff loosier"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - smokeing 390

Thanks for all the help with the carb to all who replied the truck runs =
fine now
but i have another that i need help with i had the motor rebuilt a couple=
of years ago
and ever since the rebuild the motor has smoked out the passenger side =
tail pipe
and the back two plugs show signs of oil in the cylinders .The heads were=
reworked
when the engine was rebuilt and the motor has smoked ever since i was thi=
nking
valve guides or seals the motor smokes the same at start up as it does =
when it is
warm i would like the imput of the guys here as to any suggestion before =
i tear
into it
thanks jeff l

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 06:27:47 -0700
From: "Jeff Hannon"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?

Hey Tony,

I found an equipment rental place near me that has a lowboy
car hauler flatbed trailer that is big enough for a full size
pickup. It's only $120 for a whole week.

I'm heading to CJ's in late July to get the '74 he's holding
for me. I'm driving right by Willow Creek (relatively anyway)
and the offer still stands to get your truck at least as far
as Boulder.

Jeff
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:20:04 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?

>(PS- IJ, CJ, and WISH, if nothing else comes up, we are on if you guys still
>are)
>
I'm still up for it, and if whoever gets your truck out of MT doesn't make
it all the way to Ohio, consider my place as a potential drop point if you
want ... I can always get dad's trailer and make the run on a long weekend
sometime ... I'm in the middle of Iowa, so if I can help relay it over to
Tony let me know, if the truck runs we can even meet somewhere at a rest
stop or whatever and off load it from your trailer onto mine, I just need a
week or so notice ...


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:17:23 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes

>my 79 F-250 is fitted with 31X9" tires on 17" 8-lug "steelies." In addition
>to looking like crap they look too skinny because the truck rides so high,
>i'd like to upgrade to 33x10 or 11.5 " tires with 16" wheels, problem is i
>don't want to order 1000 bucks worth on tires and then have to turn around
>and put a 400 dollar lift kit on it for them to fit, anybody know what size
>tire will fit?

I can't tell you for sure what tires will fit (the off-road list probably
can), but I can safely say I ran 31x10.5x15's on my truck for 6 years with
no problems, I would think a 3/4 ton like yours could run 33's without
incident ... the real question is, do you have 16" rims that fit on your
truck ? I've heard of 3/4tons having problems with the front caliper and
the rim meeting each other on rims that are too small ... This also
explains why I can never find tires quite like my sister's, hers are 16s
and I never even though to look at what sizes were available, I'd love a
31x9 tire, but they don't make them for 15 rims ... Wide may seem like a
good idea, but wider is not always better (as GM would have you believe:)
... with the wider tires I was sliding all over the place in the snow ...
not good when you're trying to get 3 hours in a blizzard to be home for
xmas ... I made it, but we still don't know how, even the highway patrol
man I talked to at the gas station wished me luck, that's when I knew I was
in trouble...


> i planned to put a 2-4" rear
>lift kit on it to make up for the difference, or get higher arch leafsprings.
> the truck has 3.9 0 gears would i need lower gears if i went to 33" from
>31"? how much would the cruise rpm change?

2" doesn't amount to a lot of change really, and the tires are listed for
"optimum" size, the ones you get may be a bit over or a bit under... I
wouldn't expect a lot of change, maybe a hundred revs at the outside,
depending how fast you drive.

>79 F250 4x4 4spd 351W
>
with a 4spd, the loss of revs at the low end will probably not be as big of
a deal at all, my 360 had problems, but it was tired and worn out.


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:22:49 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 1973 F-250 filler neck

>I have a 1973 F-250 w/Explorer pkg, with a single, rear mounted gas tank.
>The filler neck is NOT behind an access door, i.e., it is almost flush with
>the rear, driver's side fender, behind the wheelwell.
>
Lots of us know what you're going through ... some moreso than others ..

>Does anyone have, or know of, an UNLEADED filler neck, perhaps from a later
>truck, that will fit this type of setup?
>
Hmmm...never really considered this option ... you might check with JC
witless and see if theirs are for unleaded or not ...

Also remember that there are 2 different styles of filler neck, one has the
vent hose in front of the filler tube, the other has it behind the tube ...
be sure this hose is not plugged or full of liquid as the design kind of
lends to getting full and not emptying ... I'm not familiar with the
recapture "stuff" that is on those, but I can't imagine its any fun. Long
long ago they used to make a funnel for putting regular fuel in an unleaded
car ... maybe that same contraption would help you out here ?


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:37:54 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?

>I'm heading to CJ's in late July to get the '74 he's holding
>for me. I'm driving right by Willow Creek (relatively anyway)
>and the offer still stands to get your truck at least as far
>as Boulder.
>
I'll be at CJ's a couple weeks after that (mid Sept.), should be no problem
to pick it up there and head back to your place, I'm takin the whole week
off anyway ...


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:48:54 -0400
From: James Oxley
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes

William S Hart wrote:
>
> >my 79 F-250 is fitted with 31X9" tires on 17" 8-lug "steelies." In addition
> >to looking like crap they look too skinny because the truck rides so high,
> >i'd like to upgrade to 33x10 or 11.5 " tires with 16" wheels, problem is i
> >don't want to order 1000 bucks worth on tires and then have to turn around
> >and put a 400 dollar lift kit on it for them to fit, anybody know what size
> >tire will fit?
>

I would say they will fit. 78/79 Bronco's fit 33's with no problem
off-road. For compaison, 78/79 stock broncos have between 4-5 inches
between top of front axle and bottom of frame. Rear is 1.5-2 inches over
front. Wheellwell openings are identical in size and shape. F-250's
usually have more susp lift than bronco's and don't have to worrry about
rubbing on radius arms at full lock.

OX
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:50:35 -0500
From: John Strauss
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Re:5-spd. trannies

>I wasn't aware the ZF was a Mazda tranny. Is that the only 5-spd.tranny
Ford >mounts behind it's 460s? Any other options? I was kinda thinking a
5-spd swap >might be a little easier since I don't have the FE motor
anymore. Things are
>going great with the swap; don't wanna mess anything up with a bad choice on
>transmissions! Thanks.
>
Whoa - hold the phone. The ZF is NOT the same as the Mazda. The Mazda
5-spd, called M5OD, is used on the 300 Six and 302 only. The ZF is a
german-built heavy-duty transmission used on the 460 and the Diesel trucks.
These are two different animals.
_
_| ~~. John Strauss
\, *_} jstrauss inetport.com
\( Texas Fight!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:37:54 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?

>I'm heading to CJ's in late July to get the '74 he's holding
>for me. I'm driving right by Willow Creek (relatively anyway)
>and the offer still stands to get your truck at least as far
>as Boulder.
>
I'll be at CJ's a couple weeks after that (mid Sept.), should be no problem
to pick it up there and head back to your place, I'm takin the whole week
off anyway ...


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:48:54 -0400
From: James Oxley
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes

William S Hart wrote:
>
> >my 79 F-250 is fitted with 31X9" tires on 17" 8-lug "steelies." In addition
> >to looking like crap they look too skinny because the truck rides so high,
> >i'd like to upgrade to 33x10 or 11.5 " tires with 16" wheels, problem is i
> >don't want to order 1000 bucks worth on tires and then have to turn around
> >and put a 400 dollar lift kit on it for them to fit, anybody know what size
> >tire will fit?
>

I would say they will fit. 78/79 Bronco's fit 33's with no problem
off-road. For compaison, 78/79 stock broncos have between 4-5 inches
between top of front axle and bottom of frame. Rear is 1.5-2 inches over
front. Wheellwell openings are identical in size and shape. F-250's
usually have more susp lift than bronco's and don't have to worrry about
rubbing on radius arms at full lock.

OX
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:54:35 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Re:5-spd. trannies

>Whoa - hold the phone. The ZF is NOT the same as the Mazda. The Mazda
>5-spd, called M5OD, is used on the 300 Six and 302 only. The ZF is a
>german-built heavy-duty transmission used on the 460 and the Diesel trucks.
> These are two different animals.
> _

WHEW! I thought I was the only one flippin out and wondering what happened
when I read that ... I didn't have anything to back it up, but I was pretty
sure the 5spd Mazda was only in the small trucks, now you say 300 and 302
as well, okay, I'll buy that ...


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:50:35 -0500
From: John Strauss
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Re:5-spd. trannies

>I wasn't aware the ZF was a Mazda tranny. Is that the only 5-spd.tranny
Ford >mounts behind it's 460s? Any other options? I was kinda thinking a
5-spd swap >might be a little easier since I don't have the FE motor
anymore. Things are
>going great with the swap; don't wanna mess anything up with a bad choice on
>transmissions! Thanks.
>
Whoa - hold the phone. The ZF is NOT the same as the Mazda. The Mazda
5-spd, called M5OD, is used on the 300 Six and 302 only. The ZF is a
german-built heavy-duty transmission used on the 460 and the Diesel trucks.
These are two different animals.
_
_| ~~. John Strauss
\, *_} jstrauss inetport.com
\( Texas Fight!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:55:35 -0700
From: "Bill Beyer"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes

My 79 4X4 has 33X12.5 on 16.5 wheels and it's got all stock suspension. I
haven't had any problems with clearance. It has 3.54 gears and gets around
just fine.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, riddle them with bullets"

- -----Original Message-----
From: IanBoss69 aol.com
To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 1999 10:50 PM
Subject: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes


>my 79 F-250 is fitted with 31X9" tires on 17" 8-lug "steelies." In
addition
>to looking like crap they look too skinny because the truck rides so high,
>i'd like to upgrade to 33x10 or 11.5 " tires with 16" wheels, problem is i
>don't want to order 1000 bucks worth on tires and then have to turn around
>and put a 400 dollar lift kit on it for them to fit, anybody know what size
>tire will fit? the truck is a stock 79 f250 4x4, it has a 351w and the
front
>is slightly higher than the rear (in my opinion due to the fact that the
>truck was formally equiped with a snowplow). i planned to put a 2-4" rear
>lift kit on it to make up for the difference, or get higher arch
leafsprings.
> the truck has 3.9 0 gears would i need lower gears if i went to 33" from
>31"? how much would the cruise rpm change? If i do end up doing a gear
>change it would set my project back a bit, as i planned for a rear ARB with
a
>4.10 gear set. More $$$. Any help would be greatly appriciated.



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:00:14 -0700
From: "Southerland, Rich"
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - 1973 F-250 filler neck

Some local parts stores in my area still sell "repair kits" for people who
"hogged out" their unleaded necks so they could run unleaded. I bet one of
those would work in your case.



- -----Original Message-----
From: William S Hart [mailto:wish iastate.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 1999 6:23 AM
To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 1973 F-250 filler neck


>I have a 1973 F-250 w/Explorer pkg, with a single, rear mounted gas tank.
>The filler neck is NOT behind an access door, i.e., it is almost flush with
>the rear, driver's side fender, behind the wheelwell.
>
Lots of us know what you're going through ... some moreso than others ..

>Does anyone have, or know of, an UNLEADED filler neck, perhaps from a later
>truck, that will fit this type of setup?
>
Hmmm...never really considered this option ... you might check with JC
witless and see if theirs are for unleaded or not ...

Also remember that there are 2 different styles of filler neck, one has the
vent hose in front of the filler tube, the other has it behind the tube ...
be sure this hose is not plugged or full of liquid as the design kind of
lends to getting full and not emptying ... I'm not familiar with the
recapture "stuff" that is on those, but I can't imagine its any fun. Long
long ago they used to make a funnel for putting regular fuel in an unleaded
car ... maybe that same contraption would help you out here ?


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:50:39 -0700
From: Don
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes

I have a 78 F2504x4 that came with 33x12.5x16.5 wheels/tires and changed
them for ..fresh off of a 93 f2504x4 with ~ 500 miles on them lt235/85/r16,
the guy wanted BIG and fancy tires on his new rig so i got them for 250
bucks!!!! The 33's were well worn when i bought the truck and worked well
for a few months...contrary to what i have heard about "caliper problems"
with 16" wheels...in 3-4 years of driving i had NO problems with the 16"
ford factory rims
As far as the front riding lower then the rear, I have found that F250
4x4's are naturally that way. Just take a look at all of the boxes on those
trucks and you will see the front of the box is rusted pretty good unless
someone had the foresight to drill a couple of drain holes there.
As far as your motor in your rig...I thought the 351m-400 was the
standard motor for them,this is the first I have heard of a Windsor in
that model..or..maybe that is normal????
This is my experience...your mileage may vary...

Don

At 01:48 AM 6/16/99 -0400, you wrote:
>my 79 F-250 is fitted with 31X9" tires on 17" 8-lug "steelies." In addition
>to looking like crap they look too skinny because the truck rides so high,
>i'd like to upgrade to 33x10 or 11.5 " tires with 16" wheels, problem is i
>don't want to order 1000 bucks worth on tires and then have to turn around
>and put a 400 dollar lift kit on it for them to fit, anybody know what size
>tire will fit? the truck is a stock 79 f250 4x4, it has a 351w and the front
>is slightly higher than the rear (in my opinion due to the fact that the
>truck was formally equiped with a snowplow). i planned to put a 2-4" rear
>lift kit on it to make up for the difference, or get higher arch leafsprings.
> the truck has 3.9 0 gears would i need lower gears if i went to 33" from
>31"? how much would the cruise rpm change? If i do end up doing a gear
>change it would set my project back a bit, as i planned for a rear ARB with a
>4.10 gear set. More $$$. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
>
>Ian
>
>79 F250 4x4 4spd 351W
>
>"true blue,,,ford blue"
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

"There has been an alarming increase in the
amount of things I know little or nothing about"
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:56:49 -0700
From: Don
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - RE:4spd/auto

I looked for about 9 months in the Seattle area for a 78/79 F250 4X4 with
manual tranny...finally found it....drove it for about 3 weeks and
converted it to a c6/tilt column. Had a shoulder operation and couldn't hit
3rd gear w/out causing pain. Even with a good shoulder I don't think I
would change back to a manual. I LIKE the ability to drive down the road in
the morning with a cup of coffee and having 99% of it taken internally
rather then worn externally. ;-)

Don, the guy who LIKES his C6!! ;-)

At 11:14 PM 6/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>i have always found a manual trans much more enjoyable
>to drive. i can't really explain it but i seem to pay
>attention to the task of driving when i have to use
>all my extremeties. has anyone ever swapped from an
>auto back to the manual trans? it seems most people
>go the other way. like i said before these things are
>trucks right???
>
>
>===
>Daniel DiMartino
>
>1968 F-250 soon to be a 4x4
>_________________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
> >
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

"There has been an alarming increase in the
amount of things I know little or nothing about"
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:59:48 -0700
From: Don
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Wiper problem

I had this problem with my 79Bronco's wipers. They are the intermittent
wipers and after making SURE that the "plugs" from the black box were
SECURE in the switch they once again worked. Also check to make sure the
ground is solid....

Don
At 03:31 AM 6/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>J.S.H. wrote:
> >
> > The wipers on the 84 I bought a week ago,(now I have 3 Ford Trucks:)
> > only have the highest speed and don't park when shut off.
> > Is it the switch or wiper motor?
> > I should post this to the proper list,but I just like this list more.
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>
>Sounds like a switch, to me.
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

"There has been an alarming increase in the
amount of things I know little or nothing about"
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:08:47 -0400
From: Rob Long
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - tire sizes

My 78 4x4 F250 has 4" susp. lift with 35" Grabber MT's. I'm not sure
what the gearing is but it gets around pretty good.

- --
Rob
'78 F 250 - 400M -
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Campus/4249


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:31:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Sean O'Malley"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - A couple questions?

> some more information ... you might check out www.bmracing.com they have
> lots of information on torque converters and how to pick one that's right
> for you.

That's a nice article. Thanks for the link.

- --sean
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:42:07 -0400
From: Ken Payne
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Power Disc Brakes

Gang,

There's a rather extensive 65-72 disc brake conversion guide/article
in the tech articles section of the web site.

Ken Payne

Jason & Kathy Kendrick wrote:
>
> Danger wrote:
> >
> > > My father in law has a '67 F100 and wants disc brakes.
> > > Anyone know what year truck we need to get parts off of? He has a
> > neighbor
> > > parting a '74 F100...
> > >
>
> Discs from anything between '73 and '78 or '79 will fit '67 to '72
> models.
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:42:25 -0400
From: tfreeman murphyfarms.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - RE:4spd/auto

I personally like to play with the manual for a sport truck. But dealing with
heavy traffic and backing up with heavy loads, I love the convenience of the
C-6. Both have their merrits, but a C-6 will be going into mine. Part of that,
is that I'm starting to get old (always been fat) and don't like to shift up and
down all the time unless playing.

- -Ted





Don on 06/16/99 10:56:49 AM

Please respond to 61-79-list ford-trucks.com

To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
cc: (bcc: Ted Freeman/MURPHY_FAMILY_FARMS)
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - RE:4spd/auto




I looked for about 9 months in the Seattle area for a 78/79 F250 4X4 with
manual tranny...finally found it....drove it for about 3 weeks and
converted it to a c6/tilt column. Had a shoulder operation and couldn't hit
3rd gear w/out causing pain. Even with a good shoulder I don't think I
would change back to a manual. I LIKE the ability to drive down the road in
the morning with a cup of coffee and having 99% of it taken internally
rather then worn externally. ;-)

Don, the guy who LIKES his C6!! ;-)

At 11:14 PM 6/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>i have always found a manual trans much more enjoyable
>to drive. i can't really explain it but i seem to pay
>attention to the task of driving when i have to use
>all my extremeties. has anyone ever swapped from an
>auto back to the manual trans? it seems most people
>go the other way. like i said before these things are
>trucks right???
>
>
>===
>Daniel DiMartino
>
>1968 F-250 soon to be a 4x4
>_________________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
> >
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

"There has been an alarming increase in the
amount of things I know little or nothing about"
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html










== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:47:58 -0700
From: Michael Kakuschke
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Suprecab

1973 is the first year for the 4 door ford trucks....I have one!! You can
sure tell it was the first year though, you can see where they took a
extended cab and basically added a piece in. the rear doors where also hand
rolled at the factory.


At 03:19 PM 6/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I thought 1973 was the first year for factory supercabs......Am I mistaken??
>There is one here in Tennessee for 6200 (way over priced).
>It needs paint and a new floor patch panel on drivers side. Did I mention
>it is a 4x4 F-150 with front
>leaf springs? I opted against it for that price. It has been for sale
>for over 6 months, Obviously!
>
>Stu
>Nuke GM!
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.pscico.com/stu
>
>
>At 11:33 AM 6/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>>someone stated in a earlier post that 74 was the first year for
>>>the crew cab but ive seen one around here in nw Alabama
>>>that is a 68
>>>
>>The question was for a super cab, not a crew cab, that's why ...
>>
>>
>>Just my 2cents
>>
>>wish
>>
>>Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
>>'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
>>'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
>>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
The Kakuschke's
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:06:28 -0400
From: am14 chrysler.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - OD

Jeff writes: >> I had assumed that to be the case, but but was also reticent to
push it in
(engaging OD) while moving. You are saying that that is OK?.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Ford manual states not to pull or push it
while the vehicle is moving, B U T, I know for a fact that it does not hurt to
push it in while moving. The lever that the cable is attached to on the tranny
works like this: It will allow the electrals to work to engage the OD unit once
it is pushed in, but it mechanically disengages the gears if you pull it out.
It does not mechanically engage the gears, but it does mechanically disengage
them.

Does this make any sense to you???? I'm not too good at instructions.

Azie
Ardmore, Al.



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:14:34 -0700
From: "Southerland, Rich"
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Suprecab

'73 may be the first year for factory-built 4 door (crew cabs), but
aftermarket "coachbuilders" built them since the early 60's, maybe earlier.

I saw a crew cab '68 in the scrap yard once when we were scrounging for
parts for dad's '67 (found the disc brake article, thanks.) and it had a
plate on it from a company in So. Cal (forget the name).

- -----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kakuschke [mailto:blueoval jefnet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 1999 10:48 AM
To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Suprecab


1973 is the first year for the 4 door ford trucks....I have one!! You can
sure tell it was the first year though, you can see where they took a
extended cab and basically added a piece in. the rear doors where also hand
rolled at the factory.


At 03:19 PM 6/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I thought 1973 was the first year for factory supercabs......Am I
mistaken??
>There is one here in Tennessee for 6200 (way over priced).
>It needs paint and a new floor patch panel on drivers side. Did I mention
>it is a 4x4 F-150 with front
>leaf springs? I opted against it for that price. It has been for sale
>for over 6 months, Obviously!
>
>Stu
>Nuke GM!
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.pscico.com/stu
>
>
>At 11:33 AM 6/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>>someone stated in a earlier post that 74 was the first year for
>>>the crew cab but ive seen one around here in nw Alabama
>>>that is a 68
>>>
>>The question was for a super cab, not a crew cab, that's why ...
>>
>>
>>Just my 2cents
>>
>>wish
>>
>>Links
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
>>'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
>>'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
>>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
The Kakuschke's
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:25:30 -0700
From: "Chris Samuel"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - RE: tire sizes

SNIP
4x4, it has a 351w SNIP
Ian
79 F250 4x4 4spd 351W

"true blue,,,ford blue"

IME.
You can run the 33's easily on a stock height truck though you will rub
when wheeling hard, and any molding around the wheel wells will be damaged.
2" of lift is all that is needed for moderate to hard wheeling. As to
gearing 3.73's are a good choice for a truck that spends the majority of its
time on the street Personally I wouldn't swap your 3.9 gears, unless the
truck tows something heavy often, or is a serious OR toy!
Muel
79 Bronco


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:10:15 -0700
From: "Brandt, Chris"
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - RE: tire sizes

An addition to the tire size line on the 78 F250's. 33-12.50-16.5 fit
without a glitch. I swapped from 33-12.50-16.5's to 265-75-16 with an
incredible improvement in ride and drive. If you want a bit bigger tire
seriously consider the new larger 16" sizes. The rim design makes it
possible to design a much better tire than what is allowed with the 16.5
rim. 16.5's need a very stiff side wall to keep them on the rim bead.

CB

78 F250

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Samuel [SMTP:fourmuelz email.msn.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 1999 5:26 PM
> To: A 61-79 FORD TRUCKS
> Subject: FTE 61-79 - RE: tire sizes
>
> SNIP
> 4x4, it has a 351w SNIP
> Ian
> 79 F250 4x4 4spd 351W
>
> "true blue,,,ford blue"
>
> IME.
> You can run the 33's easily on a stock height truck though you will rub
> when wheeling hard, and any molding around the wheel wells will be
> damaged.
> 2" of lift is all that is needed for moderate to hard wheeling. As to
> gearing 3.73's are a good choice for a truck that spends the majority of
> its
> time on the street Personally I wouldn't swap your 3.9 gears, unless the
> truck tows something heavy often, or is a serious OR toy!
> Muel
> 79 Bronco
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:51:19 -0400
From: j arnold
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Who owns a trailer/flatbed?

I must have missed the original post, but did someone need a truck hauled
from out west to Ohio? I'm heading that way soon and should be coming back
with an empty 24 ft trailer. E-mail me off list if you need to.

Stoney
stoney ford-trucks.com

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:14:33 -0500
From: "John LaGrone"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - double post and V10

Sorry about the double post in digest 205. My computer crashed in the middle
of the send operation. Imagine that. Bill's software told me that it hadn't
gone out.

I think my boss is about to buy a crew cab V10. Drool. Having one that close
is almost is as good as owning one.

- -- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:17:01 -0500
From: "John LaGrone"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - paint prep

Well, Tony's method will make the job go faster, that's for sure. :-)

- -- John
jlagrone ford-trucks.com
1979 F150 Custom LWB Regular Cab 351M C6 (Henry)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/jlagrone/henry.home.htm
Dearborn iron rules!!!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:15:59 EDT
From: REvans8341 aol.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Tranny Question

Would anyone on the list please tell me what model automatic
transmission Ford put in the 72 F-100 w/302 V8?.....Also the transmission in
my 72 makes one heck of a "clunk" when shifting into reverse. I've checked
the fluid level and it's O.K., and there's no slippage at all in any gear
when taking off or shifting. I seem to remember as a young beat cop that the
big Ford Customs that we drove in those days did the same thing and I don't
recall any big problems with down time, and we drove these cars for 100,000
plus miles. Is/was this normal for the transmission? Any help would be
appreciated
Bob
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:27:19 -0400
From: tfreeman murphyfarms.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Tranny Question

Bob,

I would assume you would have a C6. The "Clunk" is most likely your U-joints.
I'd check 'em out if I were you.

- -Ted




REvans8341 aol.com on 06/16/99 02:15:59 PM

Please respond to 61-79-list ford-trucks.com

To:
cc: (bcc: Ted Freeman/MURPHY_FAMILY_FARMS)
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Tranny Question





Would anyone on the list please tell me what model automatic
transmission Ford put in the 72 F-100 w/302 V8?.....Also the transmission in
my 72 makes one heck of a "clunk" when shifting into reverse. I've checked
the fluid level and it's O.K., and there's no slippage at all in any gear
when taking off or shifting. I seem to remember as a young beat cop that the
big Ford Customs that we drove in those days did the same thing and I don't
recall any big problems with down time, and we drove these cars for 100,000
plus miles. Is/was this normal for the transmission? Any help would be
appreciated
Bob
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html










== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:28:16 -0500
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Tranny Question

> Would anyone on the list please tell me what model automatic
>transmission Ford put in the 72 F-100 w/302 V8?.....

Might be a C4 ... check the pan shape on it, then go to your local
autoparts store, they should have pictures or drawings of the pan shape
that will let you identify it for sure ... or I'm sure there's guys on the
list who can do it from memory too ...


>Also the transmission in
>my 72 makes one heck of a "clunk" when shifting into reverse. I've checked
>the fluid level and it's O.K., and there's no slippage at all in any gear
>when taking off or shifting.

Check the rear end and be sure those gears are tight, remember there's more
places for slop than just the tranny when it comes to putting power to the
ground ... in my case it was a worn xfer case, my sister's I think is a
little of the rear end since the case was recently rebuilt ...


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.