61-79-list-digest Sunday, December 20 1998 Volume 02 : Number 566



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1961-1979 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 61-79-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 61-79 - trailer towing
Re: FTE 61-79 - Re: FE Oil Pan in 4x4
FTE 61-79 - Re: Wrong oil pan on my FE?
FTE 61-79 - Re: FE Oil Pan in 4x4
FTE 61-79 - '74 Towing Specs
FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier
RE: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier
FTE 61-79 - 64 FORD F5 Top Speed
Re: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier
RE: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier
FTE 61-79 - RE: Spare Tire Carrier
Re: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier
Re: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier
RE: FTE 61-79 - RE: Spare Tire Carrier
Re: FTE 61-79 - RE: Spare Tire Carrier
FTE 61-79 - 70 Ford Longbed ,302 V8
Re: FTE 61-79 - RE: Spare Tire Carrier
FTE 61-79 - 1965 Ford F100 Colors
Re: FTE 61-79 - 460-low oil pressure
Re: FTE 61-79 - 64 FORD F5 Top Speed
Re: FTE 61-79 - 460-low oil pressure
Re: FTE 61-79 - 1965 Ford F100 Colors

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:46:28 -0800
From: "jeffd"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - trailer towing

I would suggest that you change the rear gearing to 4.56 at least. Are you
reading the tag on the housing or have you checked to see what the gearing
really is?
A quick way to check: block front wheels, lift rear so tires can turn,
chalk a line on the ground and on the tire. Then mark a horizontal line on
the drive shaft. With the trans in neutral, tun the tire ( 1) turn, while
doing this count the number of times the driveshaft turns. this will give
you a close ratio. Almost 5 turns will be 4.88. A little over 4 turns will
be 4.11

Jeff
- ----------
> From: Jon E Purut
> To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE 61-79 - trailer towing
> Date: Thursday, December 17, 1998 2:10 PM
>
> This may be wishful thinking but I would like to see what you guys think.
> I have the opportunity to buy a friends heavy duty tandem axle C channel
> trailer. It is large enough to carry cars/trucks and is rated at 8000
> lbs. I need advise as to whether my truck will pull it. The truck I would
> like to use is my 77 F150.
>
> Here are the specs:
> Engine 300 I6
> Trans. C4
> Rear End 2.72 3300 lb. Dana 44
>
> If this setup is not enough I know I can use my F500 but with a top speed
> of only 35 mph short trips become much longer. Long trips become
> impossible. Then again I could always buy that 80's F350 dually I have
> had my eye on.
>
> My wife and I bought a 40 acre farm and I know i will have a lot of stuff
> to haul. Can't wait. Just how many Ford trucks will fit on 40 acres
> anyway?
>
> Jon E. Purut
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.xoom.com/Chelley
> one 64 F500, one 77 F150 and a pair of 65 F100's
>
> ___________________________________________________________________
> You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
> Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:08:26 EST
From: TBeeee aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Re: FE Oil Pan in 4x4

> As I recall to install an FE 4x2 or car motor into a 4x4 (among a host of
>other things not related to the pan)

>A host of other things ? How long a host is this ? I guess since mine was
>probably a 4x2 then it didn't get a lot of the stuff changed that it should
>have ... now you've got me wondering ...

Don't be too alarmed---I just didn't want to gloss over the obvious like
stuff like carb linkages, auto trans/manual trans conversion issues various
wiring issues that can come up, accessory mountings such as PS pump, Air,
Hydraulic pump for plow set-ups, blah---blah--blah....you get the idea.

--Thom B--
1967 F-250 4WD 390
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.aol.com/tbeeee/page/index.htm


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:41:06 -0800 (PST)
From: draco pacifier.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Re: Wrong oil pan on my FE?

William S Hart wrote:
> Well so far I can see that the oil filter mount will probably swap
> between them ... though yours is already wrong on both accounts ?
> or am I remembering someone elses that has a crimped piece in the
> location of the old dipstick ?

Yes, that was me. The crimped piece is in the block, not the oil
filter mount.

Thanks to everyone for all the information. Looks like the oil pan I
have is correct and all I have to do is swap the pickup tubes, oil
pans and dipstick tubes?

Thanks, Bill for asking all the questions. I need to be as prepared
for this swap as possible because the F-250 does not fit in my garage
and my driveway is really steep so I can't push the truck in and out.
I want to swap motors and have the truck running in one day.

Mark
- --
'74 F-100 4X4
'74 F-250 Supercab
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:43:29 -0800 (PST)
From: draco pacifier.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Re: FE Oil Pan in 4x4

TBeeee aol.com wrote:
> As I recall to install an FE 4x2 or car motor into a 4x4 (among a
> host of other things not related to the pan) you must swap the pan
> (rear-sump), the oil pump pick-up tube (longer to accomodate rear-
> sump pan), and the filter mount (4x4 filter installs vertically
> rather than horizontally as the 4x2 does to allow clearance for
> frame/steering box).

Cool! The filter mounts on both my motors are horizontal. I don't
think clearance is an issue on the '74. I even left the oil filter
on when I pulled the motor. A vertical mount would be much nicer
since the oil won't come pouring out when the filter is removed. I
am going to have to find one of these.

William S Hart wrote:
> A host of other things ? How long a host is this ? I guess since
> mine was probably a 4x2 then it didn't get a lot of the stuff changed
> that it should have ... now you've got me wondering ...

Yeah, what he said. :) As I said I need to be as ready for this swap
as I can so I can try to do it in a day. Can you think of anything
else I need to consider?

Mark
- --
'74 F-100 4X4
'74 F-250 Supercab
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:55:51 -0800 (PST)
From: draco pacifier.com
Subject: FTE 61-79 - '74 Towing Specs

This is what is says in the '74 Owners Manual. YMMV for other
years. The table won't look right unless you use a fixed width
font.

Trailer Loading and Tongue Weights

A weight-carrying, structure-mounted trailer hitch is recommended for
tongue loads up to 200 pounds; trailer tongue-loads greater than 200
pounds require a weight distributing hitch. Vehicle cargo capacity is
reduced by 20% of trailer weight (or double the tongue load) to
compensate for trailer weight transfer to the tow vehicle. Never
overload vehicle beyond the G.A.W.R. specified on decal located on
driver's door pillar.

Trailer Towing Packages

LD Trailer Towing Package (Not available with Camper Package or F-350
Super Camper) - F-100/350 4x2 Pickups (for trailers up to 2000 pounds).
Includes: extra cooling, wiring harness (includes seven identified
wires, taillights, right and left turn signal/stoplights, electric
brake feed and stoplight, ground, and battery feed extend to rear of
vehicle), heavy duty flasher, rear step bumper(F-100/350 Stylesides),
and "Trailer Special" emblem.

HD Trailer Towing Package (Not available with Camper Package or F-350
Super Camper) - F-100/250 4x2, F-350 140 inch wheelbase (for trailers
over 2000 pounds). Includes: extra cooling, transmission heavy duty
oil cooler (with Cruise-O-Matic), wiring harness (includes seven
identified wires, taillights, right and left turn signal/stoplights,
electric brake feed and stoplight, ground, and battery feed extend to
rear of vehicle), heavy duty flasher, 70 amp-hour battery, 55 amp
alternator, ammeter and oil pressure gauge, bright western long arm
mirrors, and "Trailer Special" emblem.

TRAILER TOWING RECOMMENDATIONS
FOR F-100-250-350 STYLESIDE PICKUPS (CLASS I, II, III)

Trailer I II III IV Fifth Wheel (1)
Class (SAE)

Trailer up to 2,000- 3,500- 5-6,000 up to 5-6,500
Weight 2,000 3,500 5,000 (F100) 5,000 (F250)
(lbs) (2) 5-7,000 5-8,500
(F250) (F350)
5-10,000
(F350)

Tongue
Weight 25% of Trailer
(lbs) Weight -------->

Towing Light
Package (5)(6)
Option

GVW 5,000
(Minimum) (F100) (F100) ----> (F100) (F250) (F250)
7,500
(F250)

Axle Std
Ratio Std F100- Std(F100)
250-350 ----> 4.10:1(8)
(F250-350)

Engine 360 CID
(Minimum) (F100-250) 390 CID (F350) ->
390 CID
(F350)

Transmission

Trailer Weight
Hitch Carrying Distributing ------> Load Point 3-6"
Forward of
Rear Axle ------>

Recommended
Options (External) (10) ------------>
for High
Ambient
Temperatures

(1) Not recommeded for F-100
(2) Maximum GCW (Gross Combined Weight) not to exceed: 11,000 lbs
F-100, 13,000 lbs F-250, 16,500 lbs, F-350 with 390 CID engine
and 18,500 lbs F-350 with 460 CID engine, F-250 fifth wheel
trailer towing 12,500 lbs, and F-350 fifth wheel trailer towing
15,000 lbs, The G.C.W and both front and rear G.A.W.R.'s
located on the driver's door pillar decal must not be exceeded.
(3) With weight carrying hitch Class I trailer tongue weight must
not exceed 200 lbs.
(4) Not to exceed 800 lbs for F-100 and F-250.
(5) Heavy towing package recommended for trailers with greater
than 25 sq ft frontal area.
(6) Camper package with automatic transmission may be used in lieu
of trailer towing package provided a conventional load carrying
or load equalizing hitch is used (extended hitches not
recommended).
(7) 3.25:1 with 460 CID engine in F-100.
(8) 3.73:1 with 460 CID engine in F-250.
(9) Hitch sway control recommended for Class III and IV trailers.
(10) Standard w/390-4V and 460 CID engine.

Mark
- --
'74 F-100 4X4
'74 F-250 Supercab
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:28:21 -0500
From: "Bob"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier

I have a '78 F150 SuperCab with an 8' bed & dual tanks...I am wondering how
the spare tire is supposed to be mounted??? When I purchased this truck
from the previous owner, the spare was just laying loose in the bed. The
bed has one of those drop in liners & a cap, so this isn't too bad (cap is
locked). I was just wondering where & how it is supposed to be mounted....

Thanks for any info you might have

Bob
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 15:55:03 -0700
From: "Miska, Richard L (Rick)"
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier

I second this motion/question!!!! I have a 1976 crewcab, and I just put
mine in the bed. Rick

/////snip snip snip


> I have a '78 F150 SuperCab with an 8' bed & dual tanks...I am wondering
> how
> the spare tire is supposed to be mounted??? When I purchased this truck
> from the previous owner, the spare was just laying loose in the bed. The
> bed has one of those drop in liners & a cap, so this isn't too bad (cap is
> locked). I was just wondering where & how it is supposed to be
> mounted....
>
> Thanks for any info you might have
>
> Bob
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 18:00:04 -0500
From: "J.Whited"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - 64 FORD F5 Top Speed

As a retired truck driver I can't help but wonder why your 64 FORD F5's top
speed is only
35 mph. I've driven lot's of FORD'S of that year that could easily break
the speed
limit fully loaded-----65 or 70 was easy

Regard's J.Whited
PS If it has a two speed rearend does it work??.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- --------------

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:10:12 -0500
From: pickup65 juno.com (Jon E Purut)
Subject: FTE 61-79 - trailer towing

This may be wishful thinking but I would like to see what you guys think.
I have the opportunity to buy a friends heavy duty tandem axle C channel
trailer. It is large enough to carry cars/trucks and is rated at 8000
lbs. I need advise as to whether my truck will pull it. The truck I would
like to use is my 77 F150.

Here are the specs:
Engine 300 I6
Trans. C4
Rear End 2.72 3300 lb. Dana 44

If this setup is not enough I know I can use my F500 but with a top speed
of only 35 mph short trips become much longer. Long trips become
impossible. Then again I could always buy that 80's F350 dually I have
had my eye on.

My wife and I bought a 40 acre farm and I know i will have a lot of stuff
to haul. Can't wait. Just how many Ford trucks will fit on 40 acres
anyway?

Jon E. Purut
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.xoom.com/Chelley
one 64 F500, one 77 F150 and a pair of 65 F100's

____________________________________________


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:15:09 -0700
From: "Larry Brown"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier

The spare was normally mounted under the bed on a rack, consisting of a long
and narrow tray attached to the frame by two long rods. You should be able
to find these at any salvage yard fairly cheep.
Larry

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Bob
To:
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 1998 3:28 PM
Subject: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier


>I have a '78 F150 SuperCab with an 8' bed & dual tanks...I am wondering how
>the spare tire is supposed to be mounted??? When I purchased this truck
>from the previous owner, the spare was just laying loose in the bed. The
>bed has one of those drop in liners & a cap, so this isn't too bad (cap is
>locked). I was just wondering where & how it is supposed to be mounted....
>
>Thanks for any info you might have
>
>Bob
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 16:24:07 -0700
From: "Miska, Richard L (Rick)"
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier

Normally yes, but we both have double tanks on our trucks under the bed.
Where the tire goes in the rear, we have a large gas tank. My truck
actually has three tanks, behind seat, under bed between rails in the
middle, and a third in the rear where the spare was. My truck is 2wd, so
there is no clearance to hang a tire there.


> >I have a '78 F150 SuperCab with an 8' bed & dual tanks...I am wondering
> how
> >the spare tire is supposed to be mounted??? When I purchased this truck
> >from the previous owner, the spare was just laying loose in the bed. The
> >bed has one of those drop in liners & a cap, so this isn't too bad (cap
> is
> >locked). I was just wondering where & how it is supposed to be
> mounted....
> >
> >Thanks for any info you might have
> >
> >Bob
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:01:15 -0700
From: Randy Collins
Subject: FTE 61-79 - RE: Spare Tire Carrier


Normally yes, but we both have double tanks on our trucks under the bed.
Where the tire goes in the rear, we have a large gas tank. My truck
actually has three tanks, behind seat, under bed between rails in the
middle, and a third in the rear where the spare was. My truck is 2wd, so
there is no clearance to hang a tire there.

Ford had a bed mounted spare tire for these trucks. I remember seeing the
twin tank Ranger trucks with a similar mount. I am not sure if the new
twin tank Rangers have the same setup.


Randy Collins
Boise, Idaho
rcollins micron.net

1975 Ford F250 4WD Supercab "Muscle Truck"
460 SUPER COBRA JET



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 18:00:07 -0700
From: "Larry Brown"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier

On my '86, I had a rear tank and the spare was mounted there. I do not know
if there was a difference on the earlier models, as both my '69 and '75 do
not have the rear tank.
Larry

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Miska, Richard L (Rick)
To:
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 1998 4:24 PM
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier


>Normally yes, but we both have double tanks on our trucks under the bed.
>Where the tire goes in the rear, we have a large gas tank. My truck
>actually has three tanks, behind seat, under bed between rails in the
>middle, and a third in the rear where the spare was. My truck is 2wd, so
>there is no clearance to hang a tire there.
>
>
>> >I have a '78 F150 SuperCab with an 8' bed & dual tanks...I am wondering
>> how
>> >the spare tire is supposed to be mounted??? When I purchased this truck
>> >from the previous owner, the spare was just laying loose in the bed.
The
>> >bed has one of those drop in liners & a cap, so this isn't too bad (cap
>> is
>> >locked). I was just wondering where & how it is supposed to be
>> mounted....
>> >
>> >Thanks for any info you might have
>> >
>> >Bob
>> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>> >
>>
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 19:12:16 -0500
From: Tony Marino
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier

Actually, As far as I know, there wasn't a difference. My '78 F-150 also
*had* a spare carrier (I took it off) and a rear pan tank. The spare tire
carrier just held the tire under the gas tank. I don't know whether or not
you have a larger capacity tank than normal, but if you don't, then it
should work just fine. Incidentally, the spare tire carrier on my '93
(dual tanks) is IDENTICAL to the carrier I took off of my '78.

Tony
tony pscico.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.pscico.com

At 06:00 PM 12/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On my '86, I had a rear tank and the spare was mounted there. I do not know
>if there was a difference on the earlier models, as both my '69 and '75 do
>not have the rear tank.
>Larry
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: Miska, Richard L (Rick)
>To:
>Sent: Saturday, December 19, 1998 4:24 PM
>Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - Spare Tire Carrier
>
>
>>Normally yes, but we both have double tanks on our trucks under the bed.
>>Where the tire goes in the rear, we have a large gas tank. My truck
>>actually has three tanks, behind seat, under bed between rails in the
>>middle, and a third in the rear where the spare was. My truck is 2wd, so
>>there is no clearance to hang a tire there.
>>
>>
>>> >I have a '78 F150 SuperCab with an 8' bed & dual tanks...I am wondering
>>> how
>>> >the spare tire is supposed to be mounted??? When I purchased this truck
>>> >from the previous owner, the spare was just laying loose in the bed.
>The
>>> >bed has one of those drop in liners & a cap, so this isn't too bad (cap
>>> is
>>> >locked). I was just wondering where & how it is supposed to be
>>> mounted....
>>> >
>>> >Thanks for any info you might have
>>> >
>>> >Bob
>>> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>> >
>>>
>>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>>
>>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:17:00 -0700
From: "Miska, Richard L (Rick)"
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - RE: Spare Tire Carrier

4wd yes, 2wd I dont think so. What about everybody else? Anybody got 2
under truck tanks? Where are your spares????

> Normally yes, but we both have double tanks on our trucks under the bed.
> Where the tire goes in the rear, we have a large gas tank. My truck
> actually has three tanks, behind seat, under bed between rails in the
> middle, and a third in the rear where the spare was. My truck is 2wd, so
> there is no clearance to hang a tire there.
>
> Ford had a bed mounted spare tire for these trucks. I remember seeing the
>
> twin tank Ranger trucks with a similar mount. I am not sure if the new
> twin tank Rangers have the same setup.
>
>
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:42:13 -0800
From: "Sam Weatherby"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - RE: Spare Tire Carrier

My Lightning (;93, factory lowerd...) fits a spare under the rear tank.
I have only scraped it a few times.
-srw

Sam Weatherby SWeatherby uswest.net
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://insert.com/sammy ICQ # 18354914
'70 Mustang Grabber Sportsroof
'93 F-150 XLT Lightning
'98 FXD Super Glide
- -----Original Message-----
From: Miska, Richard L (Rick)
To: '61-79-list ford-trucks.com'
Date: Saturday, December 19, 1998 4:18 PM
Subject: RE: FTE 61-79 - RE: Spare Tire Carrier


>4wd yes, 2wd I dont think so. What about everybody else? Anybody got 2
>under truck tanks? Where are your spares????
>


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 21:00:04 -0500
From: "The Librarian"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - 70 Ford Longbed ,302 V8

I'm asking for my Father, He has this 70 Ford pick up left to him by my
Grandfather, It's in perfect condition and he and I have no idea what it's
worth, 182,000 on it but it's been treated very good still has all the
original everthing, he was offered a 1,000 for it ? Could anyone please tell
where I could find out this info ?
Thanks,
C.B. Russell

- -----Original Message-----
From: Randy Collins
To: 'FORD TRUCKS 61 -79'
Date: Saturday, December 19, 1998 7:07 PM
Subject: FTE 61-79 - RE: Spare Tire Carrier


>
>Normally yes, but we both have double tanks on our trucks under the bed.
> Where the tire goes in the rear, we have a large gas tank. My truck
>actually has three tanks, behind seat, under bed between rails in the
>middle, and a third in the rear where the spare was. My truck is 2wd, so
>there is no clearance to hang a tire there.
>
>Ford had a bed mounted spare tire for these trucks. I remember seeing the
>twin tank Ranger trucks with a similar mount. I am not sure if the new
>twin tank Rangers have the same setup.
>
>
>Randy Collins
>Boise, Idaho
>rcollins micron.net
>
>1975 Ford F250 4WD Supercab "Muscle Truck"
>460 SUPER COBRA JET
>
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 20:57:56 EST
From: JUMPINFORD aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - RE: Spare Tire Carrier

In a message dated 12/19/98 5:19:38 PM MST, MiskaRL louisville.stortek.com
writes:

>
I have dual tanks on my truck, both in the bed, But I have something
completely different. The F-350 puts the spare tire in the side of the bed
behind a removable panel on the passenger side. They had to do this because
the F-350 has its rear axle about 6 inches closer to the rear bumper than a
150 or 250. They did this fro better stability with the long tall slide in
campers. Its a cool setup, I have to change tires often, do to bent rims, and
not havin to crawl under the truck is very nice.

Darrell Duggan
74 F-350 "Tweety"
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 20:36:01 -0600
From: "myshop"
Subject: FTE 61-79 - 1965 Ford F100 Colors

Any one know about the color schemes on the 65 F100 pickups? I know there is
a color code on the metal id plate on side of door and on the glove box lid
but that speaks of the main color...I think.

Were these trucks all one color or was the bottom one color and the cab
another?

What color were the original rims and did they all come with big white
walls?

Appreciate any help...

+
+AL+ 2-65 F100's(One Runs)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 21:20:17 -0600
From: Michael Schwall
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 460-low oil pressure

At 11:47 PM 12/17/98 -0800, you wrote:
>i have a 460 with oil pressure that when i first start it up runs at 65-70
>psi,but as it warms up it drops off to around 15 psi at an idle,and will go
>back up to around 45-50 psi if you rev it up.Any thoughts as to what the
>problem might be would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

How many miles are on the engine and what weight oil are you using?

Mike



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 19:59:16 PST
From: "Andy D"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 64 FORD F5 Top Speed

I have a 56 F-600 with a 2 speed rear (i beleave you had to get the 600
to get the 2 speed that was the only difference between it and the 500)
It will do 45 in low towing another F-600 (did it). Have not tested it
in high bit when I'm finished with it I'll let you know

Andy
72 F100 no motor or tranny
70 F100 w/360 2v,C-6
56 F600 w/272 4v,4-speed,2-speed rear
56 F100 w/223 1v,3-speed

>As a retired truck driver I can't help but wonder why your 64 FORD F5's
top
>speed is only
>35 mph. I've driven lot's of FORD'S of that year that could easily
break
>the speed
>limit fully loaded-----65 or 70 was easy
>
> Regard's J.Whited
>PS If it has a two speed rearend does it work??.
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--------------
>
>Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:10:12 -0500
>From: pickup65 juno.com (Jon E Purut)
>Subject: FTE 61-79 - trailer towing
>
>This may be wishful thinking but I would like to see what you guys
think.
>I have the opportunity to buy a friends heavy duty tandem axle C
channel
>trailer. It is large enough to carry cars/trucks and is rated at 8000
>lbs. I need advise as to whether my truck will pull it. The truck I
would
>like to use is my 77 F150.
>
>Here are the specs:
>Engine 300 I6
>Trans. C4
>Rear End 2.72 3300 lb. Dana 44
>
>If this setup is not enough I know I can use my F500 but with a top
speed
>of only 35 mph short trips become much longer. Long trips become
>impossible. Then again I could always buy that 80's F350 dually I have
>had my eye on.
>
>My wife and I bought a 40 acre farm and I know i will have a lot of
stuff
>to haul. Can't wait. Just how many Ford trucks will fit on 40 acres
>anyway?
>
>Jon E. Purut
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.xoom.com/Chelley
>one 64 F500, one 77 F150 and a pair of 65 F100's
>
>____________________________________________
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 22:53:13 MST
From: "Gear Guru"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 460-low oil pressure

- ----Original Message Follows----
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 21:20:17 -0600
To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com
From: Michael Schwall
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 460-low oil pressure
Reply-To: 61-79-list ford-trucks.com

At 11:47 PM 12/17/98 -0800, you wrote:
>i have a 460 with oil pressure that when i first start it up runs at
65-70
>psi,but as it warms up it drops off to around 15 psi at an idle,and
will go
>back up to around 45-50 psi if you rev it up.Any thoughts as to what
the
>problem might be would be greatly appreciated,thanks.


Sounds Like a classic symptom of worn main bearings, or maybe you are
running too low weight oil.
AZ Eric
'79 Bronco Custom




______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 01:24:27 -0500
From: "Barry Price"
Subject: Re: FTE 61-79 - 1965 Ford F100 Colors

2 tone paint was an option on the 65 F100's. I think the paint code on the
plate will show two different codes for the two different paints. The two
tone would be one color on the lower half of the cab (ending just below the
handle along the crest of the curviture line on the side of the door) with
the other color continuing up the remainder of the cab. But that was an
option, the standard pickup was not two tone unless ordered special by the
dealer or purchaser.

The colors available on the 65 were:
Color Code
Black A
Turquoise B
Special White C....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.